KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Respect' Forum » Respect The Sentry

Respect The Sentry
Started by: Enzeru

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (11): « First ... « 8 9 [10] 11 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
One_Angry_Scot
----

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Enzeru
SENTRY VS ASGARD:
https://imgur.com/a/mbdRJ
Scans from: Doctor Strange #383

Ever concerned about the Void, the Sentry still agrees to help Doctor Strange on his quest and attacks a bunch of Asgardians to distract them from the good Doctor.

With Robert worrying about the Void people forget Robert is still a Schizophrenic, so he'll naturally still be thinking of the Void. But if he has truly gone (which I admittedly am not 100% sure of) stuff like that is natural for Schizophrenics. Though it wouldn't surprise me if the Void does return somehow.

Good to see Sentry being written well. Made a very awesome entrance. He could end up fighting Cul.

Fas Ė Ite, Maledicti, in Ignem Aeternum

Old Post Dec 20th, 2017 05:28 PM
One_Angry_Scot is currently offline Click here to Send One_Angry_Scot a Private Message Find more posts by One_Angry_Scot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KidStranglehold

Issue was lackluster and neglected a significant part of Sentry's continuity since Uncanny Avengers. But maybe next issue will something when we have to wait ANOTHER month... Hopefully he fights Cul. And I do not want to see Void again. We've had enough of him. But I did like that the narration said that Sentry strikes fear in gods.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2017 07:12 PM
KidStranglehold is currently offline Click here to Send KidStranglehold a Private Message Find more posts by KidStranglehold Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
One_Angry_Scot
----

Originally posted by KidStranglehold
Issue was lackluster and neglected a significant part of Sentry's continuity since Uncanny Avengers. But maybe next issue will something when we have to wait ANOTHER month... Hopefully he fights Cul. And I do not want to see Void again. We've had enough of him. But I did like that the narration said that Sentry strikes fear in gods.

Thing is it is a Strange book after all so it wonít be all about Sentry. Who knows he might start appearing in other comics.

Fas Ė Ite, Maledicti, in Ignem Aeternum

Old Post Dec 20th, 2017 07:33 PM
One_Angry_Scot is currently offline Click here to Send One_Angry_Scot a Private Message Find more posts by One_Angry_Scot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KidStranglehold

^^^The very least we could have gotten is what happened to the Deathseed(at least in small dialogue) since Cates decided to bring him back. But hopefully he appears in other stories.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2017 07:36 PM
KidStranglehold is currently offline Click here to Send KidStranglehold a Private Message Find more posts by KidStranglehold Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KidStranglehold

Having a good discussion on CV with a good poster. He claims the Sentry was able to easily take on the "Thunder Guards" who are semi-destroyers who were able to defeat Jane Thor while the Sentry was taking them out.

He also claims the Sentry taking on Cul is Thanos level stuff. What are you guys thoughts on this? Also what is the "big role" Cates has for the Sentry?

Old Post Dec 20th, 2017 08:40 PM
Enzeru

He also claims the Sentry taking on Cul is Thanos level stuff. What are you guys thoughts on this?

Let's not get ahead of ourselves, shall we. There isn't a single panel, where Sentry and Cul appear together. To say that they're fighting is stretching it a little bit as for now.

Always keep in mind that it's a Doctor Strange book, so don't get your hopes up by default.
Imagine Cul is just standing in the back and letting the Thunder Guards do the dirty work. But once he realizes, that the Thunder Guards won't be able to stop the Sentry, he steps in and beats the Sentry rather handily. And before he can finish him off, our new God of Magic and Savior Doctor Strange comes in and beast Cul rather handily. Then everyone is like: "Boah, what a great moment in Doctor Strange comics! He is more powerful than the Sentry and Cul!"

But maybe I'm being a little bit too pessimistic right now. I don't really think it will turn out that way. I'm just cautious.

Also what is the "big role" Cates has for the Sentry?

Option #1:
The cover for the upcoming issue shows Doctor Strange looking pretty much like the Void. Maybe it's the hint of "possesion" or a loss of control. Maybe Doctor Strange won't be able to handle his new found power, lose control, start threatening everyone around him and Sentry will have to stop him.

Option #2:
Doctor Strange will use his new foudn power to pull the dangerous spell out of his former assistant Zelma and put it into the Sentry. Up until now he put the spell into people he cared about. But with Loki at the verge of discovering the spell, Doctor Strange realized that he needed a different approach. And Sentry should be able to hold his own against attackers and protect the spell.

Option #3:
The spell will start breaking out and Sentry and the new God of Magic Doctor Strange will have to fight off the waves of Magic Gods, before the Gods destroy the multiverse.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2017 10:05 PM
Enzeru is currently offline Click here to Send Enzeru a Private Message Find more posts by Enzeru Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KidStranglehold

[i]Originally posted by Enzeru
Let's not get ahead of ourselves, shall we. There isn't a single panel, where Sentry and Cul appear together. To say that they're fighting is stretching it a little bit as for now.

Always keep in mind that it's a Doctor Strange book, so don't get your hopes up by default.
Imagine Cul is just standing in the back and letting the Thunder Guards do the dirty work. But once he realizes, that the Thunder Guards won't be able to stop the Sentry, he steps in and beats the Sentry rather handily. And before he can finish him off, our new God of Magic and Savior Doctor Strange comes in and beast Cul rather handily. Then everyone is like: "Boah, what a great moment in Doctor Strange comics! He is more powerful than the Sentry and Cul!"

But maybe I'm being a little bit too pessimistic right now. I don't really think it will turn out that way. I'm just cautious.

I didn't take this into account but wouldn't this happen before Sentry's big role? Either way i would just be satisfied with the Sentry holding his own against Cul.

But anyways I guess we have to see. All I know is that the writer seems to respect the Sentry and see him as powerful by saying that the Sentry strikes fear in Asgardian gods.

[i]Originally posted by Enzeru

Option #1:
The cover for the upcoming issue shows Doctor Strange looking pretty much like the Void. Maybe it's the hint of "possesion" or a loss of control. Maybe Doctor Strange won't be able to handle his new found power, lose control, start threatening everyone around him and Sentry will have to stop him.

Option #2:
Doctor Strange will use his new foudn power to pull the dangerous spell out of his former assistant Zelma and put it into the Sentry. Up until now he put the spell into people he cared about. But with Loki at the verge of discovering the spell, Doctor Strange realized that he needed a different approach. And Sentry should be able to hold his own against attackers and protect the spell.

Option #3:
The spell will start breaking out and Sentry and the new God of Magic Doctor Strange will have to fight off the waves of Magic Gods, before the Gods destroy the multiverse.

I personally see option 2 being the most possible.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2017 10:20 PM
Enzeru

All I know is that the writer seems to respect the Sentry and see him as powerful by saying that the Sentry strikes fear in Asgardian gods.

I would say it's more than just that:

https://www.cbr.com/doctor-strange-...ates-interview/

quote:
CBR:
At the end of issue #382, we saw that the Sentry had returned to the Marvel Universe. What made you want to bring him back?

Donny Cates:
I love that character! As soon as I got to Marvel, I started asking my editorial teams about him. I was like, ďDoes anybody have dibs?Ē [Laughs]
Speaking very personally, Iíve been sober for about three years now. Sentry was a character who always really spoke to and touched me because itís this idea of trying to be a good person, but having this dark half where it can seem like for every good action you do, your dark half destroys things ten-fold ó to me thatís what the Sentry and the Void was.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2017 10:28 PM
Enzeru is currently offline Click here to Send Enzeru a Private Message Find more posts by Enzeru Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KidStranglehold

Originally posted by Enzeru
I would say it's more than just that:

https://www.cbr.com/doctor-strange-...ates-interview/

HOLY SH*T then we kinda don't have anything to fear besides Dr Strange coming out stronger than Sentry which is a given since its a Dr Strange book. Anyways my anxiety has been cured. And I notice Mr. Cates has his Sentry act very similar to Paul Jenkin's one especially during Vol 2 where he was just laid back having a discussion with Strange and Wong.

But anyways I doubt Cates will kill the character off now. But now that Cates is writing Thanos maybe Sentry will appear in that series? i know I am getting my hopes up but it seems Cates can be what Greg Pak was to Hulk for the Sentry character.

To me I loved this part:
"Sentry was a character who always really spoke to and touched me because itís this idea of trying to be a good person, but having this dark half where it can seem like for every good action you do, your dark half destroys things ten-fold ó to me thatís what the Sentry and the Void was."

because THATS how the Sentry character is suppose to be like. That is what we love about him. And that is what i wanted a writer to write him as.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2017 10:43 PM
RealityWarper

I have the feeling that the Void on the cover can also be an illusion created by Cul Borson's power, Bob is still traumatized by what he did as the Void and fear him to come back.

That would fit the story considering that Bob is supposed to be mentally sane now.

Old Post Dec 27th, 2017 06:34 PM
RealityWarper is currently offline Click here to Send RealityWarper a Private Message Find more posts by RealityWarper Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KidStranglehold

^^We'll have to see.

Old Post Dec 27th, 2017 07:54 PM
RealityWarper

^^We'll have to see.

We are all very impatient after so much years at waiting Sentry's return.

I predict epic fights against extremely powerful characters for the Golden Guardian of Good.

It's not surprising that Bob is still holding back.

Old Post Dec 27th, 2017 09:12 PM
RealityWarper is currently offline Click here to Send RealityWarper a Private Message Find more posts by RealityWarper Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KidStranglehold

Originally posted by RealityWarper
We are all very impatient after so much years at waiting Sentry's return.

I predict epic fights against extremely powerful characters for the Golden Guardian of Good.

It's not surprising that Bob is still holding back.

Like I said(I think in this thread) if the Sentry at least holds his own against Cul then I can see the battle forums exploding. lol.

Old Post Dec 27th, 2017 09:39 PM
Enzeru

Can you do me a favor and create a separate thread in the comic books forums, where you discuss all of that non-sense? I don't want to see your cringe discussions about multiversal level power fights in here. This is an appreciation thread.

Old Post Dec 28th, 2017 11:22 AM
KidStranglehold

Im certainly NOT trying to claim the Sentry woulf be multiversal. Nor would his fight with Cul prove. Him being multiversal would be idiotic and make the character boring. But if you want my discussion on him potentially fighting Cul to be moved then I'll make another one to not derail this thread.

Old Post Dec 28th, 2017 02:26 PM
Enzeru

The Sentry has been released as a playable character for the mobile fighting game 'Marvel: Contest of Champions'. The Void will be released in the near future as well. So if you're into mobile gaming, consider giving the game a shot. I've heard good things about it.

"When you exist, I exist."
https://twitter.com/MarvelChampions...237462286954496

(please log in to view the image)
https://i.redd.it/ink5vo8gro701.jpg

THE GOLDEN AGE
When the Contest was originally formed, The Sentry was one of the strongest contenders. Lost through time, The Sentry has spent almost 35 years lost in the depths of the Battlerealm, although his mind cannot recall much of what happened. Now he's returned to The Contest but he seems even more unbalanced than usual.

TWO MEN ENTER
The Sentry has returned to The Contest. The Sentry can warp reality and gains different effects based on when his combo ends. These effects vary and allow skilled Summoners to control what benefits they receive and adapt to the battle.
No good deed goes unpunished, and hidden within the strength of The Sentry is the overwhelming fear of The Void. The Void has been unleashed and is looking to strike fear into the inhabitants of The Battlerealm. The Voids Intimidating Presence allows him to weaken his enemies and benefits from the amount of debuffs on the opponent.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2018 10:19 PM
KidStranglehold

^^That picture looks sick. Hopefully the Sentry appears in more medias outside of comics.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2018 11:07 PM
Enzeru

Marvel: Contest of Champions
https://i.imgur.com/ID7G4Tw.png

Sentry Motion Comic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqhDpOxtNYo

Sentry Gameplay:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Uk7dfm0kPw

Story:

Before the current contest of champions there was another contest with 12 contestants. Sentry was one of these original 12, but the regular memory wipes all the contestants were receiving, were making the Sentry unstable. So he started killing off everyone. Only 3 contestants survived and the Sentry had been banished by the Collector.

The Collector however didn't really get rid of the Sentry for good. He sent Sentry out on a mission to seek a crystal fragment. In his mind Sentry was the only one, who was able to find the fragment, thanks to his enhanced senses and prodigious speed. But the Sentry never returned. Until 35 years later. Even more unstable, since he was lost in the multiverse for so long. And with him the Void has returned as well, who now holds a grudge against the Collector.

My opinion:

I've played the game and while Sentrys animations and all are pretty cool, his portrayal is slightly disappointing. Obviously it's just a mobile game and you can't expect all too much character complexity... but the Sentry is still only being sold as an (and I quote) overpowered, unstable god. The Collector is scared of him and more so of the Void, who (and I quote) can blot out entire suns with his bare hands. So it's pretty much the Brian Michael Bendis version of the Sentry. All power-brawn and no brain.

It was still a fun ride. Sentrys ultimate ability lets him turn into the Void, who then fires a dark spirit bomb AKA kuro genkidama at the opponent. The Void will have the opposite ultimate and turn into the Sentry, who blows up a sun in front of the opponents face.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2018 01:28 AM
KidStranglehold

^^At least the Sentry is getting media push outside of comics which I consider a good thing. The more the better.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2018 03:33 AM
KidStranglehold

Preview.... Of upcoming Dr. Strange #384.

https://www.cbr.com/doctor-strange-384/

This part caught my interest...

"I will pay for the resurrection of the fallen Sentry. For laying siege to the Asgard throne."

1. Is Cates ignoring Uncanny Avengers? What does he mean Strange resurrecting the Sentry?

2. Laying siege to the Asgard throne? Does he mean the Siege event or what happened prior in THIS story?

Old Post Jan 14th, 2018 10:04 PM