KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Respect' Forum » Respect The Sentry

Respect The Sentry
Started by: Enzeru

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (9): « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
One_Angry_Scot
----

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Enzeru
Yeah, no. Can we please not bother the writer with questions about the Sentry? I know you're all excited, but it's very unlikely that you'll get an answer you're looking for. You should know better.
Just wait and look forward to what's next. And keep your expectations low, because it's a Doctor Strange book and Sentry is only guest starring in it.

Regarding the Death Seed... A lot of stuff could have happened and whatever happened will probably be tackled on. Some stuff I could imagine is:

+ Doctor Strange used his magic to pull the the Death Seed out of Sentry.
+ Maybe Sentry met Celestials, who appeared to take Exitars body back home and also freed the Sentry from the Death Seed.
+ I personally viewed the Sentry as being above the Death Seed in the first place, so I don't know why he himself shouldn't have been able to get rid of it. It had been stated, that the Death Seed was merged to the hosts on a molecular level... and given Sentrys power set... Maybe he got sick of it and spit it out.

I like that second option you put there. Would make for a good backstory. And with regards to Donny obviously I didn't come out saying tell me this etc. Just said how I was interested in the story and with him being in space is relevant to the Death Seed. Only thing I wonder is he wouldn't have ben tkaing Exitar home would he, if it was teh White Hot Room that was his destination. Unless the Celestials intercepted him on the way. But that's all semantics.

They are always under NDA's I think.

Fas Ite, Maledicti, in Ignem Aeternum

Old Post Dec 7th, 2017 09:30 PM
One_Angry_Scot is online now! Click here to Send One_Angry_Scot a Private Message Find more posts by One_Angry_Scot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KidStranglehold

Originally posted by One_Angry_Scot
Haven't got a reply yet but twitter is never usually the best medium for that type of conversation. Will have to message him somewhere else privately I think. I will update you if/when something happens.

The thing about the comic selling out was a tweet he made.

Thanks. And I have a feeling that the Sentry was due to the comic selling out because all around the net this has been making news. big grin

Old Post Dec 7th, 2017 09:39 PM
KidStranglehold is currently offline Click here to Send KidStranglehold a Private Message Find more posts by KidStranglehold Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KidStranglehold

Originally posted by Enzeru
Yeah, no. Can we please not bother the writer with questions about the Sentry? I know you're all excited, but it's very unlikely that you'll get an answer you're looking for. You should know better.
Just wait and look forward to what's next. And keep your expectations low, because it's a Doctor Strange book and Sentry is only guest starring in it.

Regarding the Death Seed... A lot of stuff could have happened and whatever happened will probably be tackled on. Some stuff I could imagine is:

+ Doctor Strange used his magic to pull the the Death Seed out of Sentry.
+ Maybe Sentry met Celestials, who appeared to take Exitars body back home and also freed the Sentry from the Death Seed.
+ I personally viewed the Sentry as being above the Death Seed in the first place, so I don't know why he himself shouldn't have been able to get rid of it. It had been stated, that the Death Seed was merged to the hosts on a molecular level... and given Sentrys power set... Maybe he got sick of it and spit it out.

We know Sentry is only guest starring but what do you personally think happens afterwards with the Sentry? Because if he redeems himself in helping out Asgard then he can NO LONGER be viewed as a villain by most fans. And there will be no good reason to just kill him off or keep him in limbo. This is why I am keeping a watchful eye.

And yeah I agree not to bug writers especially when Tom got angry at fans.

Old Post Dec 7th, 2017 09:42 PM
KidStranglehold is currently offline Click here to Send KidStranglehold a Private Message Find more posts by KidStranglehold Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
One_Angry_Scot
----

Originally posted by KidStranglehold
Thanks. And I have a feeling that the Sentry was due to the comic selling out because all around the net this has been making news. big grin

Oh it most definitely is. Enzeru also told me Sentry was leaked as a hero in the Contest of Champions mobile game along with the Void. Sentry is being given a big push.

Old Post Dec 7th, 2017 09:44 PM
One_Angry_Scot is online now! Click here to Send One_Angry_Scot a Private Message Find more posts by One_Angry_Scot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KidStranglehold

Oh it most definitely is. Enzeru also told me Sentry was leaked as a hero in the Contest of Champions mobile game along with the Void. Sentry is being given a big push.

Lets hope! I want Sentry to get that Thanos push and even Black Panther one, lol!

I always founded retarded that freaking Marcus Milton(Hyperion) got a push and solo before the Sentry!

Old Post Dec 7th, 2017 09:57 PM
One_Angry_Scot
----

Lets hope! I want Sentry to get that Thanos push and even Black Panther one, lol!

I always founded retarded that freaking Marcus Milton(Hyperion) got a push and solo before the Sentry!

He's a trucker now. Went from fighting Beyonders to driving a truck. Lets hopew Sentry has a more exciting story than that.

Old Post Dec 7th, 2017 10:00 PM
KidStranglehold

He's a trucker now. Went from fighting Beyonders to driving a truck. Lets hopew Sentry has a more exciting story than that.

lol. Didnt mind the trucker job as it made him more human? Where is he now tho because wasnt his solo cancelled?

And yeah Sentry should be a cosmic hero imo.

Old Post Dec 7th, 2017 10:02 PM
One_Angry_Scot
----

lol. Didnt mind the trucker job as it made him more human? Where is he now tho because wasnt his solo cancelled?

And yeah Sentry should be a cosmic hero imo.

I believe he's wallowing in Marvel's "can't be bothered to write a character that isn't Spider-Man or Hulk" pit.

Definitely.

Old Post Dec 7th, 2017 10:15 PM
KidStranglehold

Originally posted by One_Angry_Scot I believe he's wallowing in Marvel's "can't be bothered to write a character that isn't Spider-Man or Hulk" pit.

Definitely.

The bolded is what I cant stand about Marvel.

Old Post Dec 7th, 2017 10:20 PM
Enzeru

We know Sentry is only guest starring but what do you personally think happens afterwards with the Sentry?

That's really, really hard to say at the moment for so many reasons.

Before I write my opinion on the topic down, I would like to point out that getting a comic ready doesn't happen in a month. Or even two. The comic needs to be written, edited, drawn, inked, colored and lettered. And then printed and then shipped.
The next issue arrives on the 20th of December. That's less than two weeks from now on. And I'm sure that the writer has already a couple of other issues ready. So whatever will be going on with the Sentry in the next months is already set it stone and won't change as quickly.

And now to the tricky part. I'm gonna be optimistic and pessimistic. (And maybe realistic)

OPTIMISTIC:

It caught me by surprise and as it seems Marvel as well, that Doctor Strange #382 has sold out so damn quick. Now they're going to print more issues to cover the demand. And let's be honest here... Nothing really happened in that issue except for the end, which got quite a good amount of hype.

Did the comic sell out, because of Sentrys return and how many people went crazy over it? Let's be optimistic and say that's the case. Now we'll have to see how good the next issue sells, which will feature the Sentry even more.
If it sells well too, then Marvel will notice that. Their sales have been rather lackluster for multiple books they're trying to push. And now out of nowhere something happens, which increases their sales, without them advertising Sentrys return AT ALL.

Let's say the sales are good again. Could that take the Sentry to another book (maybe a superhero book) to see if sales would increase for that book as well? If it does, could it lead to an Sentry on-going? Who knows. I sure as hell hope that would be the case.

Then there is also the leaked Sentry and Void champions for the mobile game "Marvel: Contest of Champions". (An alternate version of the Sentry appeared in the comic, but in the game we get the 616 version.)
Why right now at the same time, where Sentry returned in the comics? And why potentially TWO champions at once? It's not just the Sentry making it into the game, but as it seems it will be Sentry AND Void as playable characters. That strikes me as an interesting push.

What you have to realize is, that in "Marvel: Contest Of Champions" the majority of characters that had been pushed came out at a time, where they received a push in the comics / movies as well. Black Panther movie got announced and a trailer? We got a Black Panther character. Same with Star Lord for GOTG, Black Bolt with the Inhumans TV show and Inhumans comics and so on.

And on top of that: the preview for #382 said that in the end of #382 something would happen, which would shake the core of the Marvel universe. That's kinda a big and bold statement. So could there be more coming for the Sentry? I sure as hell hope so.

PESSIMISTIC:

Did Doctor Strange #382 really sell out due to the return of the Sentry, or because it features Doctor Strange and Loki. Strange and Loki are big in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. And if MCU fans want to read comics about characters from the MCU... they can't really pick up an Avengers book. In the Avengers books 2 out of 10 characters are from the movies and the rest are SJW characters. No one knows them, no one cares about them. Old comic book fans grew up with old characters, who have been replaced and new Marvel fans care about what they know from the movie.

So with a Doctor Strange book actually featuring Doctor Strange and having Loki on top of that... That should do quite well by default. Especially when something as big happens as Loki becoming the new Sorceror Supreme.

At the same time there was absolutely NO advertising for the Sentry. He simply appeared out of nowhere and tons of jaws dropped. But that happened so fast, that I almost can't imagine that being the main reason why the book sold out.

REALISTIC:

Obviously the best case scenario would be to Strange comics with Sentry in them continue doing well to give the character another shot, after the current Doctor Strange arc is over. I don't think that the book will turn into a Doctor Strange & Sentry book soon, just because this issue sold out.
I think that the Sentry will be around for this arc and then fly off into the sunset, until he is used again. However, the better readers receive him, the higher the chances, that we see him again. Depending on how well he is received that might be sooner or later.

I'm cautiously optimistic due to the fact, that they didn't promote his return at all. I would think that if they had much more for him in mind they would have made a bigger effort to get even more people, who care, to check the Doctor Strange issue out. But they really didn't. So that strikes me more as something, which just happened to move the story forward and maybe sell few additional copies by getting Sentry fans on board.

In the end of the day I just hope that the writer treats the Sentry as a character, instead of a weapon. Because that's the main problem the Sentry had during the Brian Michael Bendis era:
The Sentry was not a character. He was a weapon. And that Bendis Sentry simply didn't have many fans, for the same reason Mjolnir, Captain Americas Shield and the Infinity Gauntlet don't have fans.
The Sentry was only there so that Tony Stark and Norman Osborn could point at something and get it destroyed on a physical or molecular level.

And that is a possibility we're still facing, when it comes to the Sentry and new writers. What if Donny Cates has Doctor Strange command Sentry around and have him destroy Asgardians, Loki, Thor and others? That would not be good.

If you want to do the Sentry right, do what has been done in "Silent War" (by David Hine, if I'm not all too wrong). There we had the Avengers facing the Inhumans. Tony Stark tried commanding the Sentry, but the Sentry simply didn't listen to him and had his own thoughts and agendas during the entire war. We could see his fears, doubts, plans and so on. And it was great.
Rick Remender did a good job in Uncanny Avengers as well. The Apocalypse Twins tried using the Sentry as a weapon, but he was fighting their influence and had his own agenda.

Last edited by Enzeru on Dec 7th, 2017 at 10:31 PM

Old Post Dec 7th, 2017 10:28 PM
Enzeru is currently offline Click here to Send Enzeru a Private Message Find more posts by Enzeru Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tkitna

Sentry coming back makes me happy

(please log in to view the image)

By Stoic
Ignore List - H1A8, Mr.Parker

Old Post Dec 8th, 2017 12:26 AM
tkitna is currently offline Click here to Send tkitna a Private Message Find more posts by tkitna Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KidStranglehold

@Enzeru

Very good and balanced post. Yeah we should be realistic but I feel if the DR issues with the Sentry does very well that may make Marvel rethink their stance with the character. Did Rick Remender wanted to write a Sentry mini?

Old Post Dec 8th, 2017 12:35 AM
KidStranglehold

Here we go... *sigh*
" The Sentry reforms once more, but this time under the Void's influence. When a missile distracts Owen, Sentry takes control of Reece's body and tells Owen to restore reality or die."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sentry_(Robert_Reynolds)#cite_note-33

Old Post Dec 9th, 2017 05:27 PM
RealityWarper

Here we go... *sigh*
" The Sentry reforms once more, but this time under the Void's influence.

True.

quote:
When a missile distracts Owen, Sentry takes control of Reece's body and tells Owen to restore reality or die."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sentry_(Robert_Reynolds)#cite_note-33

Bullshit.

He took control of Owen's molecules.

Old Post Dec 9th, 2017 05:55 PM
RealityWarper is currently offline Click here to Send RealityWarper a Private Message Find more posts by RealityWarper Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
One_Angry_Scot
----

We dont need a discussion about this in the thread again. Its well established what each others views are.

Old Post Dec 9th, 2017 06:22 PM
One_Angry_Scot
----

Unless I mistook what you guys were saying.

===

But anyways what do people think of the possibilities of a Sentry film.

Old Post Dec 9th, 2017 06:24 PM
KidStranglehold

Originally posted by RealityWarper
True.

Bullshit.

He took control of Owen's molecules.

There's no evidence that he was under the Void's influence. Thats just some fanboy reading Dark Avengers #12 out of context and doing a wiki edit without any citations from an actual writer.

Old Post Dec 9th, 2017 06:30 PM
RealityWarper

There's no evidence that he was under the Void's influence. Thats just some fanboy reading Dark Avengers #12 out of context and doing a wiki edit without any citations from an actual writer.

I noticed that. smile

We dont need a discussion about this in the thread again. Its well established what each others views are.

Agreed.

Old Post Dec 9th, 2017 06:31 PM
RealityWarper is currently offline Click here to Send RealityWarper a Private Message Find more posts by RealityWarper Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KidStranglehold

I hope in this upcoming DS issue Sentry does a crazy feat that pisses off the Hulk, Thor and Superman fanboys like during the Uncanny run. lol... Those thread fans have now joined a union to trash the Sentry on CV or any other characters that are "Superman clones."

Old Post Dec 9th, 2017 07:48 PM
RealityWarper

I hope in this upcoming DS issue Sentry does a crazy feat that pisses off the Hulk, Thor and Superman fanboys like during the Uncanny run. lol... Those thread fans have now joined a union to trash the Sentry on CV or any other characters that are "Superman clones."

I bet he will have even more crazy feats than usual, he is stable after all. wink

The years of denial of the Sentry haters will explode in their faces.

Old Post Dec 9th, 2017 10:50 PM