KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Respect' Forum » Respect The Sentry

Respect The Sentry
Started by: Enzeru

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (10): « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
NemeBro

What stories and comics would you say emphasize what you like about Sentry if you don't mind me asking Enzeru? I'll be frank and say that I've long had a fairly negative opinion of him as a character (don't feel like getting into why), but I try to be open-minded and am willing to see if my initial impression is wrong.

Old Post Jun 10th, 2018 07:35 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Enzeru

Hi NemeBro. I'll answer your question in full detail tomorrow. Short on time right now. If you want, you can tell me what you've already read about the Sentry / where you know him from - that would make it easier for me to steer you into the right direction.

Old Post Jun 10th, 2018 09:17 PM
Enzeru is currently offline Click here to Send Enzeru a Private Message Find more posts by Enzeru Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Enzeru

quote: (post)
Originally posted by NemeBro

What stories and comics would you say emphasize what you like about Sentry if you don't mind me asking Enzeru? I'll be frank and say that I've long had a fairly negative opinion of him as a character (don't feel like getting into why), but I try to be open-minded and am willing to see if my initial impression is wrong.

I'll compare your situation with the Sentry to my situation with Star Wars.

I saw the Star Wars prequels first and didn't like them all too much. I found them to be boring with all the sitting around and talking - something the prequels are infamous for. Once I got to the original trilogy, I was just not invested in the Star Wars franchise enough.

I compare the Bendis era Sentry to the Star Wars prequels and the Jenkins era Sentry to the original trilogy. These two Sentrys are completely different characters. And while I can appreciate certain Sentry stuff from Bendis, in total it was simply a totally different character. The Bendis era Sentry was not a character. He was a weapon. And I don't think that Sentrys overwhelming power is the actual appeal of the Sentry. To me the actual appeal of the Sentry is that the Sentry is a human with tons of flaws and problems. And that human - that ordinary, regular guy named Bob (only John is more generic than that) wields that overwhelming power. To me Sentry is one of the most human characters out there.

I'll post the entire Sentry comics reading list, but if you want to know about the Sentry I learned to love, then you should should read the following books and then skip a bunch of stuff and start with Jeff Lemires new Sentry on-going, which is coming out at the end of this month (June 2018). I'll also post what you should be looking for, when you read those particular comics:

Sentry - Volume 1 (including the tie-ins)

Written by Paul Jenkins and drawn by Jae Lee (for the most part). I read that comic at least 50 times and every single time I found something new. Paul Jenkins ability to combine great, meaningful dialogue with story is just over the top. It's a story about a man, who believes to be something more than he seems to be. It's about not being ignored by others. About being acknowledged by them instead.

The Age of the Sentry

You probably know that the Sentry erased everyones memories of himself in order to stop his dark side. He also implemented his memories into the mind of a comic book writer, who then wrote comics about the Sentry.
View 'The Age of the Sentry' as these memories. View that book as semi-canon, showing you Sentrys old adventures. It's some of the stuff you see in the first Sentry volume, but just expanded on.

It's written by Jeff Parker and has a very, very silver-agey feel and style to it. The first volume is a tragic story. 'The Age of the Sentry' is crazy and refreshing. It's a fun adventure, with some mysterious twists.

New Avengers #1 - #3, #7 - #10

This is written by Brian Michael Bendis. Eh... I would almost say that you can skip it, but if you want to see how the Sentry was introduced into the Marvel 616 universe, then you should read it. But as I said, you won't really miss out on all too much.

But as you can see, there is almost nothing I can really write about it. There is no catchy argument to be made for it. And that's what I dislike about Brian Michael Bendis. There are no selling points to his comics.

Sentry - Volume 2

Written by Paul Jenkins and drawn by John Romita Jr (where he still somewhat cared). This comic I read even more often than the first volume. Again, there was a ton of hidden stuff in there, which took me a long time to figure out. I will admit that at times the book feels slightly too complicated, but in total it's a cool, dark adventure about a mentally ill superhero. It shows you the insane and overwhelming amount of responsibility the Sentry has. And all of that while trying to keep his own inner demons at bay.

Silent War #2, #5

Written by David Hine, I think. You can just skip through the book until you get to the Sentry scenes. The writer manages to portray the Sentry in two issues of an event filled with characters much better than Bendis was able to do it in years and years of writing him. No idea how that's even possible. But you're really shown the internal struggle of the Sentry. It shows you that the guy is actually a genius, who understands how the world functions. It shows you that he actively goes against what Iron Man, the team leader wants and does - and you know that the Sentry is going the right thing.

Uncanny Avengers #10, #11, #15, #21, #22

Written by Rick Remender. It's a very twisted version of the Sentry. It's pretty much a different character personality wise, but with the same background. You can read it, if you want to see Sentry unleashed. He is still holding back in his fights, but power wise he is just absolutely, ridiculously insane.

Doctor Strange #382 - #385

Written by Donny Cates. This is the return of the Sentry. He doesn't appear all too much, since it's a Doctor Strange book, but every time he does appear, he is written properly. Sentry has a very laid back and chill personality, but he is often also serious. Donny Cates manages to capture that very well. And you also get to see the Void again, who is always on a whole another of level of making his opponents feel helpless and in trouble.

Sentry - Volume 3

The first issue is coming out on the 27th of June. It is written by Jeff Lemire and drawn by Kim Jacinto. I'm telling you, you should reaaally give the book a go. I'm blindly saying that, because I've read a lot of stuff by Jeff Lemire and that gentlemans ability to write human stories and characters is over the top. And the Sentry is a very human and relatable character, if written correctly. Jeff Lemire is a great choice to write the Sentry and there is no doubt in my mind that he will do a great job.

And here is the full Sentry reading order. A lot of the stuff on the list is from Brian Michael Bendis. And as I said, when people only know the Sentry from Bendis comics... I'm not even surprised by them not liking the Sentry as a character. Bendis is just not good when it comes to writing team books and mentally ill characters.

01. The Sentry - Volume 1
02. The Age Of The Sentry
03. New Avengers #1 - #3, #7 - #10
04. The Sentry - Volume 2
05. Civil War - The Return
06. New Avengers #24
07. Mighty Avengers #1 - #14
08. Silent War #2, #5
09. World War Hulk
10. Dark Avengers
11. Siege
12. Sentry - Fallen Sun
13. What If? Osborn Won Siege
14. Uncanny Avengers #10, #11, #15, #21, #22
15. Doctor Strange #382 - #385
16. Sentry - Volume 3 (starting this June)

I hope I could help! Have fun with the books!

Old Post Jun 11th, 2018 07:54 AM
Enzeru is currently offline Click here to Send Enzeru a Private Message Find more posts by Enzeru Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
joesha28
Asgard's Advocate

Hope they do well with the character. All the best.

Old Post Jun 13th, 2018 08:51 AM
joesha28 is currently offline Click here to Send joesha28 a Private Message Find more posts by joesha28 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
joesha28
Asgard's Advocate

Originally posted by Enzeru
New preview for Sentry #1:

Comicbook.com has released a new exclusive preview for the first issue of the upcoming Sentry on-going series:

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/05...comics-preview/

https://imgur.com/a/sMa8EqK

The preview features 4 colored pages without the lettering. Some of the pages we already know, but there are also new pages, which reveal characters like Scout and Watchdog. The preview even reveals the Sentress, who we saw in the (as of yet) non-canon limited series "The Age of the Sentry".

Scout was Sentrys sidekick, who got his arm ripped off by the Void and had to retire. Watchdog was Sentrys super-powered canine, whose real name was Normie. When Normie got too old to fight crime, Sentry replaced him with a super-powered robot dog. The Sentress was Carol Danvers, before she became Ms. Marvel. In "The Age of the Sentry" story she had lost her Sentress powers by the end of the limited series.

The Sentry will be released on the 27th of June. Preorder it, buy it! I've already preordered three copies.

Oh My, If MCU adapts Carol Danvers with this partial origin, it will be great!

Old Post Jun 13th, 2018 08:54 AM
joesha28 is currently offline Click here to Send joesha28 a Private Message Find more posts by joesha28 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Hi NemeBro. I'll answer your question in full detail tomorrow. Short on time right now. If you want, you can tell me what you've already read about the Sentry / where you know him from - that would make it easier for me to steer you into the right direction.
Sorry about not responding, I was away on vacation. And I've honestly only really read WWH for Sentry (I'm a comics noob), which didn't give me any particular impression one way or the other. My inexperienced yet negative impression is largely based on what little I've read online, which is why I wanted to ask a fan about what stories epitomize what they like about the character.

Thanks for the suggestions and commentary, I'll definitely read some. thumb up

Old Post Jun 18th, 2018 01:39 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tkitna

WWH was a terrible depiction of the character.

By Stoic

Old Post Jun 19th, 2018 02:22 AM
tkitna is currently offline Click here to Send tkitna a Private Message Find more posts by tkitna Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Enzeru

The preview for Sentry #4 has been revealed:

(please log in to view the image)
https://i.imgur.com/AdzPIrq.jpg

quote:
With his mind and both worlds he inhabits being ripped apart, Sentry comes face to face with one of his oldest enemies, and his only salvation may be his damaged ex-sidekick, Scout.

Writer: Jeff Lemire
Artist: Kim Jacinto & Joshua Cassara
Cover Artist: Kim Jacinto

Well, that's... kinda an interesting cover. That's what you wanna see: Your favorite superhero getting smacked in the face by his sidekick on the cover of the book, LUL! I like it though.
But it looks like Bryan Hitch is out as the cover artist. The fourth issue will have an alternate 'Sentry VS Cosmic Ghost Rider' cover by Vanessa Del Rey.

Sentry sales on Comixology:

https://www.comixology.com/Sentry-Sale/page/18792

Comixology currently has a Sentry sales going on. You can get a lot of Sentry comics for not a lot of money, so that's a good thing. However, if people spend money on Sentry comics now, how likely is it that they'll continue to spend (more) money for the upcoming on-going. The timing seems to be good, but it's rather unfortunate, if you ask me. But maybe I'm just being paranoid.

Sentry easter egg in the 'Cloak & Dagger' show:

http://sciencefiction.com/2018/06/1...el-fans-missed/

I haven't watched the show yet, but it seems like they have included a Sentry easter egg in the show. And that strikes me as a super obscure easter egg. Not even I pay attention to such casual trivia in Sentry comics.

Micro Sentry art:

http://marvel-microheroes.wikia.com/wiki/Sentry_(Robert_Reynolds)

Does someone have any use for micro Sentry art? Maybe for Avatars or signatures maybe? It's interesting regardless, because they show a lot of different costumes and artstyles the Sentry rocked through out the years.

Old Post Jun 19th, 2018 09:11 PM
Enzeru

Official preview for Sentry #1:

http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.co...eview-sentry-1/

Marvel has finally released the official preview for the first Sentry issue. It contains a couple of colored pages, we've already seen, but now we've also gotten the dialogue. And it reads quite well.
Tom Brevoort is the editor on the book and Alanna Smith the associate editor. Brevoort has edited the majority of Sentry comics, so he has a lot of experience with the Sentry - and that's clearly a good thing.

Edit: Also, for as long as the book lasts, I won't be uploading any feats in this thread. Instead I encourage you to go out and buy the books. I'm sure, that it will be worth your time and money.

Last edited by Enzeru on Jun 21st, 2018 at 08:27 PM

Old Post Jun 21st, 2018 08:23 PM
Enzeru

Interview with Jeff Lemire about his run on the Sentry and previews for Sentry #2:

https://www.cbr.com/sentry-marvel-s...mire-interview/

https://imgur.com/a/0FSQvJ6

+ Jeff is being very, very secretive about the first issue, which makes it sound like we're in for a brand new and crazy ride. I'm liking it.

+ It also appears that in Jeffs story Bob and Sentry will be two different beings - however you want to interpret that one.

+ Sentry is back in the Marvel universe and like you would expect it in a good story from a good writer: His old allies and friends are very cautious about his return and are keeping an eye on him.

+ First previews for the second issue also show Cranio, the Man with the Tri-Level Mind! He has gotten a new redesign and he is looking siiiiick:

https://i.imgur.com/IhQakzV.jpg

Old Post Jun 26th, 2018 07:39 PM
panthergod
Restricted

Account Restricted

Definitely not a Brainiac ripoff. laughing out loud

Old Post Jun 26th, 2018 08:10 PM
panthergod is currently offline Click here to Send panthergod a Private Message Find more posts by panthergod Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Enzeru

My review of SENTRY #1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DhQ20TRxQ0

No spoilers in this video! But quite a few in one of the upcoming ones!

Old Post Jun 27th, 2018 08:12 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Cool vid thumb up

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Jun 27th, 2018 08:48 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tkitna

My review of SENTRY #1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DhQ20TRxQ0

No spoilers in this video! But quite a few in one of the upcoming ones!

Good stuff Enzeru.

So glad theres a Sentry book out now, but I admit that i'm already confused. Lol

By Stoic

Old Post Jun 27th, 2018 11:29 PM
tkitna is currently offline Click here to Send tkitna a Private Message Find more posts by tkitna Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Enzeru

SENTRY #1 Spoiler Discussion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTrMuRK-Bj4

Here are a bunch of SENTRY #1 reviews, with the scores mostly ranging from high 8s to the full 10. Good start, if you ask me!

https://comicbookroundup.com/comic-...-comics/sentry-(2018)/1

SENTRY #1 is one of the books, which were sent back for a second printing:

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/0...cond-printings/

Old Post Jun 29th, 2018 02:22 PM
abhilegend
Prince of All Saiyans

First issue was good. Let's see where it goes.

Old Post Jun 29th, 2018 03:26 PM
abhilegend is currently offline Click here to Send abhilegend a Private Message Find more posts by abhilegend Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Enzeru

Small preview discussion for SENTRY #2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDaP0nJtF6Y

Beware the spoilers!

Old Post Jul 15th, 2018 03:43 PM
Enzeru

Official preview for SENTRY #2:

http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.co...eview-sentry-2/

https://i.imgur.com/05VFe2x.jpg

quote:
Someone or something has invaded Sentry World, and now Bob Reynolds finds himself in a race against the clock to try and stop the mystery invader before he can unravel everything the Sentry has worked so hard to build. But if Bob fails, the Void will be set free and the Marvel Universe will be torn apart. Can the Sentry save the day, or has Bob failed once again to contain the monster within?

Writer: Jeff Lemire
Artists: Kim Jacinto & Josshua Cassara
Colorist:Rain Beredo
Cover Artist: Bryan Hitch
Editor: Tom Breevort

Spoiler Warning: In the preview we see the Sentress taking on the mystery invader, who seemingly killed Scout and Watchdog in the Sentry World.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2018 07:01 AM
Enzeru

My spoiler free review of SENTRY #2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvxWMgCvt50

Small preview for SENTRY #5, which will hit the shelves in October:

https://i.imgur.com/suHp161.jpg

quote:
Bob Reynolds and the Sentry are both dead…so it’s time for something new to rise in their place!

Writer:Jeff Lemire
Artists: Kim Jacinto & Joshua Cassara
Cover Artist: Kim Jacinto

Old Post Jul 25th, 2018 06:38 PM
abhilegend
Prince of All Saiyans

The issue was again good. Will see where it leads.

Old Post Jul 25th, 2018 07:45 PM
abhilegend is currently offline Click here to Send abhilegend a Private Message Find more posts by abhilegend Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote