KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Comic book shops thriving

Comic book shops thriving
Started by: Q99

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Q99

quote: (post)
Originally posted by StyleTime
Yeah, I still drop in to the stores every once in a while. I remember seeing a lot of new readers at those types of things. Brought a few with me before.

I find I don't get a lot on FCBD, most of 'em are just samples of stuff I either already have if I follow the title, or don't care much about anyway if I don't, but *some* companies do cool special stories for it, like Atomic Robo's story with Doctor Dinosaur. And that's me, who keeps an eye on most books anyway.

It's fun to see all the new people check stuff out.

quote:

I doubt it. I hit shift + L or shift + K and voila. Even if you want something specific(or aren't on a pc), you can bookmark in many comic reading apps, and store an even larger amount of "bookmarks."

I'm not talking just about Kindles here(I don't even own a dedicated e-reader. Seems like a waste since phones do the same thing plus fifty billion other things). Reading on phone is still much easier than one handing a TPB, and you have the benefit of keeping a large collection of files on it. And you can do it anywhere. And it's a device most probably already have.

(I'm glossing over class issues with that last statement, but you get the point. Convenience yadda yadda.)

I'll mention my one-hand skills are *extremely* good from a combination of a lifetime of reading and some months with a hand in a cast some time back. Shift + L requires two hands, one to hold, one to do two buttons. I can one-hand a TPB while carrying grocery bags.

As for phones, well, their screen is much smaller, requires zooming, etc.. Page flipping is fast for me too.

Old Post Jan 15th, 2015 04:20 AM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

Originally posted by Q99
I find I don't get a lot on FCBD, most of 'em are just samples of stuff I either already have if I follow the title, or don't care much about anyway if I don't, but *some* companies do cool special stories for it, like Atomic Robo's story with Doctor Dinosaur. And that's me, who keeps an eye on most books anyway.

It's fun to see all the new people check stuff out.

I was really into 8-bit theater back in the day. You saying Atomic Robo made me think of that.
Originally posted by Q99
I'll mention my one-hand skills are *extremely* good

Giggity. (Couldn't resist)

Originally posted by Q99
from a combination of a lifetime of reading and some months with a hand in a cast some time back. Shift + L requires two hands, one to hold, one to do two buttons. I can one-hand a TPB while carrying grocery bags.

As for phones, well, their screen is much smaller, requires zooming, etc.. Page flipping is fast for me too.

I have two shift keys, one is two buttons from the L. My hand is large enough to do it the other way too.

Depends on the app. Comixology has a smartreader which does panel by panel zoom on its own. I prefer it since I won't accidently spoil any same page reveals.

But yeah, I can understand if someone doesn't like the small screen or zooming on dled/torrented comics. I'm just saying it's more convenient. If you like holding books in your hand, well I can't argue against that.

Last edited by StyleTime on Jan 15th, 2015 at 04:56 AM

Old Post Jan 15th, 2015 04:50 AM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Originally posted by StyleTime
I was really into 8-bit theater back in the day. You saying Atomic Robo made me think of that.

Btw, Atomic Robo has just announced it's going to the same model Girl Genius uses- comics on the web, collections in the stores.

Old Post Jan 21st, 2015 12:30 PM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote