KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Daredevil (Netflix TV series)

Daredevil (Netflix TV series)
Started by: roughrider

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (9): « First ... « 7 8 [9]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
roughrider
Thunderer

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Darth Thor
Its a frigging great show, but not the best comic book show IMO. Nothing tops Walking Dead. And an argument could be made for The Flash being better as well, but the Flash and DD are as different as Avengers and TDK.

The Flash is okay, but it's formulaic cheese. You could argue Agents Of SHIELD is formulaic too, but the advantage it and every other live action Marvel show has is that it all counts, it's all inside the the MCU, so it's necessary viewing. No DC TV show is inside the Cinematic Universe they are getting started.

Daredevil season 2 doesn't quite top Season 1, but it's still damn good. Elektra being done right, and every time time Vincent D'Onofrio appears as Wilson Fisk were some of my top highlights. Jon Bernthal was both scary intense and surprisingly sensitive as Frank Castle.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2016 05:03 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CPT Space Bomb
God Emperor

Originally posted by roughrider
The Flash is okay, but it's formulaic cheese. You could argue Agents Of SHIELD is formulaic too, but the advantage it and every other live action Marvel show has is that it all counts, it's all inside the the MCU, so it's necessary viewing. No DC TV show is inside the Cinematic Universe they are getting started.

Daredevil season 2 doesn't quite top Season 1, but it's still damn good. Elektra being done right, and every time time Vincent D'Onofrio appears as Wilson Fisk were some of my top highlights. Jon Bernthal was both scary intense and surprisingly sensitive as Frank Castle.
Yah, John Bernthal was definitely the best thing about season 2 imo. Don't get me wrong, Daredevil (the character) is still great and his fight scenes were even better this year....but he came off a bit snobbish overall. Whereas Punisher stole EVERY SINGLE SCENE he was in...even with the Kingpin; Punisher stole scenes....amazing. We need a Punisher series now.

Also, Elektra; despite not being worked into the story as smoothly as I would have liked, was great too. Everyone doubting Elodie Young's acting chops can rest easy...she was great. Man, there were times when I thought she was precious and times I was scared of her....great job by Elodie.

"Beneath this mask there's more than Flesh, there is an idea; and ideas are bulletproof."

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2016 09:15 PM
CPT Space Bomb is currently offline Click here to Send CPT Space Bomb a Private Message Find more posts by CPT Space Bomb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by roughrider

DC can't get a break. Either it's too dark or it's too cheesy stick out tongue

Most disagree with you about The Flash.

And not sure sharing the big screen with the small screen is an entirely good thing. Too many inconsistencies can crop up for 1. And for 2 it limits what can be done. For instance Marvel can't do another live action Hulk Tv show because it would have to be the same as what's on the big screen.

DC have real problems on the big screen, but they're doing just fine on Tv.

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2016 10:34 PM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
basilisk

Originally posted by Darth Thor
And not sure sharing the big screen with the small screen is an entirely good thing. Too many inconsistencies can crop up for 1. And for 2 it limits what can be done. For instance Marvel can't do another live action Hulk Tv show because it would have to be the same as what's on the big screen.

DC have real problems on the big screen, but they're doing just fine on Tv.
I'm starting to think they should have just left Daredevil and the related shows in their own universe rather than mix them in with the MCU/SHIELD continuity.

I find it increasingly hard to believe that Matt, Foggy, Ben, Kingpin, Punisher etc fit into a world with alien invaders destroying New York, flying cars and all the other crazy tech/inventions shown in SHIELD, Inhumans popping up everywhere, public knowledge of Thor, Asgard etc, flying people, people who can shrink to 6 inches tall, teleporters, Spiderman, Hulk rampages, Ultron AI invasions, Dr. Strange and so on. The Daredevil characters exist in this gritty, more realistic corner of the universe pretending like none of this exists but for a few token references. In the comics I can generally accept this because - well, it's comics. But on the screen I'm finding it harder and harder.

The characters in Daredevil have gritty, brutal fights where they get bruised, bloodied, and exhausted, and even a guy with hypersenses and a lifetime of training can get into trouble with a bunch of tough street thugs. On SHIELD they fight like cartoons, where someone like Skye can have a few months training and (even without using powers) dispatch multiple trained Hydra agents twice her size like fodder, then make an obligatory quip afterwards.

Even with just the stuff they have introduced on SHIELD I find it difficult to fit it in with the MCU (and the show is pretty annoying anyway).

Old Post Mar 26th, 2016 09:48 AM
basilisk is currently offline Click here to Send basilisk a Private Message Find more posts by basilisk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Femi32

Originally posted by basilisk
I'm starting to think they should have just left Daredevil and the related shows in their own universe rather than mix them in with the MCU/SHIELD continuity.

I find it increasingly hard to believe that Matt, Foggy, Ben, Kingpin, Punisher etc fit into a world with alien invaders destroying New York, flying cars and all the other crazy tech/inventions shown in SHIELD, Inhumans popping up everywhere, public knowledge of Thor, Asgard etc, flying people, people who can shrink to 6 inches tall, teleporters, Spiderman, Hulk rampages, Ultron AI invasions, Dr. Strange and so on. The Daredevil characters exist in this gritty, more realistic corner of the universe pretending like none of this exists but for a few token references. In the comics I can generally accept this because - well, it's comics. But on the screen I'm finding it harder and harder.

The characters in Daredevil have gritty, brutal fights where they get bruised, bloodied, and exhausted, and even a guy with hypersenses and a lifetime of training can get into trouble with a bunch of tough street thugs. On SHIELD they fight like cartoons, where someone like Skye can have a few months training and (even without using powers) dispatch multiple trained Hydra agents twice her size like fodder, then make an obligatory quip afterwards.

Even with just the stuff they have introduced on SHIELD I find it difficult to fit it in with the MCU (and the show is pretty annoying anyway).

You make a lot of sense. The tone of the movies and Agents of SHIELD's cartoony scenarios throws things off.

Old Post Mar 26th, 2016 08:14 PM
Femi32 is currently offline Click here to Send Femi32 a Private Message Find more posts by Femi32 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CPT Space Bomb
God Emperor

I really don't like SHIELD anymore. Daredevil spoiled it for me....I mean, they're not even close to the same in terms of quality.

"Beneath this mask there's more than Flesh, there is an idea; and ideas are bulletproof."

Old Post Mar 26th, 2016 09:32 PM
CPT Space Bomb is currently offline Click here to Send CPT Space Bomb a Private Message Find more posts by CPT Space Bomb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SquallX

Season 2 was the shit, I liked it better than 1 actually. Especially because of Elektra and Punisher. Those 2 kept stealing the spot light from Matt every damn time they appeared, and i loved him for it.

I think am one of the few people that doesn't want a Punisher series. Leave him on the show, that way there's more dynamic to the team and story line.

Not only was the story excellent, the pacing too me was ****ing superb, not once did i ever felt things were dragging out.

I'll admit, there was 2 things i was disappointing in.
1. I don't know if i missed it, but the guy Stick was talking too at the end of seaon 1 was excluded.

2. The final fight scene on the roof top was a let down. I was hoping for more. I had hoped for Frank to show up and stat shooting every Hand members at the last second because Elektra was about to be kidnapped and Matt about to be killed.

Old Post Mar 26th, 2016 09:55 PM
SquallX is currently offline Click here to Send SquallX a Private Message Find more posts by SquallX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Femi32

Originally posted by SquallX
I think am one of the few people that doesn't want a Punisher series. Leave him on the show, that way there's more dynamic to the team and story line.

Punisher needs his standalone chance at redemption that Daredevil got. Bring it on after the phenomenal job from Jon Bernthal!

Old Post Mar 26th, 2016 11:54 PM
Femi32 is currently offline Click here to Send Femi32 a Private Message Find more posts by Femi32 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SquallX

Originally posted by Femi32
Punisher needs his standalone chance at redemption that Daredevil got. Bring it on after the phenomenal job from Jon Bernthal!

That's the thing about Frank, he doesn't really need redemption. He truly believes in his cause. Nothing is able to falter his belief, nothing.

Old Post Mar 27th, 2016 12:44 AM
SquallX is currently offline Click here to Send SquallX a Private Message Find more posts by SquallX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Femi32

That's the thing about Frank, he doesn't really need redemption. He truly believes in his cause. Nothing is able to falter his belief, nothing.

I'm talking about redemption from his previous live action adaptations.

Old Post Mar 27th, 2016 01:30 AM
SquallX

I'm talking about redemption from his previous live action adaptations.

Okay, I wasn't thinking from that point of view.

But, the movies weren't that bad. I didn't think so.

Old Post Mar 27th, 2016 02:43 AM
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

Just finished watching this. I still think it was a good season. Punisher was awesome. The Hand arc was cool for the most part. It just felt like season suffered from having two very distinct narratives going at the same time.

I think it caused things to be rushed and other things to get dropped from the narrative. I think this season would have done better had they tried to do a better job of connecting the Punisher Blacksmith arc with the Hand arc towards the end. It may have been cliche but I think it would have worked better in keeping things neater. Also the Punisher should have totally been in that last fight more. I would have loved to see Electra and Frank interact.

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Mar 27th, 2016 11:57 PM
Newjak is currently offline Click here to Send Newjak a Private Message Find more posts by Newjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Originally posted by CPT Space Bomb
I really don't like SHIELD anymore. Daredevil spoiled it for me....I mean, they're not even close to the same in terms of quality.

To me it's the same way Marvel MAX comics like Jessica Jones and Punisher can deal with these sick, twisted, personally brutal storylines while still existing in the more sunny 616 Universe, without contradiction.

Of course on Netflix they can take the kid gloves off, so the shows seem more mature in their storytelling.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Mar 28th, 2016 03:57 AM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
basilisk

Yeah have to agree, SHIELD looks poor in comparison.

You make a lot of sense. The tone of the movies and Agents of SHIELD's cartoony scenarios throws things off.
But wait for season 3 of Daredevil when they really start to take advantage of the MCU continuity. First Daredevil and Spiderman must fight an Inhuman with the power to create dozens of clones of herself. Then there is going to be an episode where Karen uncovers a conspiracy at the highest levels involving Thanos, Grandmaster, and the city mayor, and Daredevil must team up with Rocket Raccoon to find an Infinity Stone lost in Hell's Kitchen while outwitting a pair of alien mercenaries who have allied themselves with the Hand.

Old Post Mar 28th, 2016 01:47 PM
basilisk is currently offline Click here to Send basilisk a Private Message Find more posts by basilisk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CPT Space Bomb
God Emperor

Originally posted by Newjak
Just finished watching this. I still think it was a good season. Punisher was awesome. The Hand arc was cool for the most part. It just felt like season suffered from having two very distinct narratives going at the same time.

I think it caused things to be rushed and other things to get dropped from the narrative. I think this season would have done better had they tried to do a better job of connecting the Punisher Blacksmith arc with the Hand arc towards the end. It may have been cliche but I think it would have worked better in keeping things neater. Also the Punisher should have totally been in that last fight more. I would have loved to see Electra and Frank interact.

For me, I liked both seasons about the same.

Season 1 had a more focused storyline, but the fighting and side characters weren't as good.

Season 2's story wasn't quite as good, but certain aspect of the story were better. "Penny and Dime" is one of the greatest tv episodes I have ever seen. Punisher's 6 minute monologue is truly incredible to watch. Also, the figthing is much better in season 2; and it benefits from feeling more "Comic-booky"

So, I put them about the same level of enjoyment personally. BTW, Elodie Young was fantastic as Elektra....really pleasant surprise.

Old Post Mar 28th, 2016 02:06 PM
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

For me, I liked both seasons about the same.

Season 1 had a more focused storyline, but the fighting and side characters weren't as good.

Season 2's story wasn't quite as good, but certain aspect of the story were better. "Penny and Dime" is one of the greatest tv episodes I have ever seen. Punisher's 6 minute monologue is truly incredible to watch. Also, the figthing is much better in season 2; and it benefits from feeling more "Comic-booky"

So, I put them about the same level of enjoyment personally. BTW, Elodie Young was fantastic as Elektra....really pleasant surprise.
I can agree with this. "Penny and Dime" was amazing and definitely my favorite episode of the entire run.

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Mar 28th, 2016 11:43 PM
Newjak is currently offline Click here to Send Newjak a Private Message Find more posts by Newjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheLordofMurder

Just finished Season 2 and I gotta say, Jon Bernthal IS the Punisher; superbly well acted on his part and he has the perfect look to back it up...

I never cared for the Punisher in the comics, but Jon brought this character to life in a fashion I never dreamt possible and now Punisher is one of my favorite characters...

Anyway, I loved Season 2...Elektra was great...the story was great...absolutely love Vincent D'Onofrio as the Kingpin (Vincent has owned Kingpin just as well as Jon has owned Punisher IMHO)...loved all the characters...I have absolutely no complaints.

2 thumbs way up!

smile

Last edited by TheLordofMurder on Apr 10th, 2016 at 04:59 AM

Old Post Apr 10th, 2016 04:49 AM
TheLordofMurder is currently offline Click here to Send TheLordofMurder a Private Message Find more posts by TheLordofMurder Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheLordofMurder

thumb up

Old Post Apr 10th, 2016 04:52 AM
TheLordofMurder is currently offline Click here to Send TheLordofMurder a Private Message Find more posts by TheLordofMurder Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote