KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » TV Talk Forum » Daredevil

Daredevil
Started by: Arachnid1

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (33): « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Darth Thor

quote: (post)
Originally posted by MF DELPH

^epitomizes why I personally pan the film. You're more than welcome to enjoy it and have an opposing opinion, of course, but the consensus is that Affleck's Daredevil was a failure and one of the worst Marvel Films released along with it's 'sequel' Elektra and Ghost Rider.

I realise that's the consensus and I'm not arguing with that. All I said was that it did make some profit (obviously or there never would have been an Electra), and that I personally kind of liked it.

And I've already pointed out it was cheesy.

But I don't agree with associating the movie's "failure" with Affleck. Although I do hope his Batman voice is a hell of a lot better than his Daredevil voice.

Old Post Apr 13th, 2015 07:17 PM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Supermutant

Originally posted by Lestov16
A post from imdb.com:
It just occurred to me:

A bald, unscrupulous contractor and criminal swoops in to grab a hold of a city in the wake of an alien attack. He also uses people's uncertainty of the new hero on the block to stir up negative sentiment.

Did Marvel just beat DC to the punch on the (basic) BvS: DoJ storyline?

Thoughts?

It seems to me that DC already used Daredevil's plot in Batman Begins and Arrow season 1. Basically street level hero returns to home city to fight against corruption and crime. Bad guys (Ra's al Ghul, Malcolm Merlin, Kingpin) have their own twisted vision of saving the city which is at complete odds with the hero.

Old Post Apr 13th, 2015 08:19 PM
Supermutant is currently offline Click here to Send Supermutant a Private Message Find more posts by Supermutant Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wei Phoenix
One-Eyed Dragon Of Oshu

Well Matt never left his city, he's not rich either.

You Wa Shock!

Old Post Apr 13th, 2015 08:25 PM
Wei Phoenix is currently offline Click here to Send Wei Phoenix a Private Message Find more posts by Wei Phoenix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Supermutant

Originally posted by Wei Phoenix
Well Matt never left his city, he's not rich either.

IIRC Matt went to college/law school away from Hell's Kitchen. I never stated that he was rich or that everything was exactly the same, just similar plot points-local boy becomes a vigilante to save city from crooked cops, drugs(fear toxin, vertigo drug, steel serpent heroine), mobs, and corruption.
Some other things are similar as well as how they started out in just black clothing and mask.

Last edited by Supermutant on Apr 13th, 2015 at 08:43 PM

Old Post Apr 13th, 2015 08:41 PM
Supermutant is currently offline Click here to Send Supermutant a Private Message Find more posts by Supermutant Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

My contention about Vanessa is that she's just as sadistic as Fisk, but she's conservative about it; she's a watcher, not a doer.

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Apr 14th, 2015 12:37 AM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

Holy Episode 9

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: Murdock got absolutely brutalized by the Kingpin...

PWNT

Old Post Apr 14th, 2015 01:23 AM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lestov16
CTU Field Agent

Fisk is so awesome. I love how he's both violently impulsive and meticulously prepared at the same time. [SPOILER - highlight to read]: He kills the Russian on a whim for interrupting his date, but then immediately utilizes it to his advantage of gaining power. He may be the MCU's best villain yet.

IMO, this show struck the perfect balance of a villain so likeable that you root for their success, but not to the point that it outshines the heroes.

"Tell him that you've got credible intelligence about a threat to his life"-
Jack Bauer

Old Post Apr 14th, 2015 01:28 AM
Lestov16 is currently offline Click here to Send Lestov16 a Private Message Find more posts by Lestov16 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dynamix

Man this is pretty ill so far. Dude that played fisk realky worked it! My only complaint is the secretary chick. Im only on episode 4 but i find her sub plot distracting and annoying lol

Last edited by dynamix on Apr 14th, 2015 at 04:17 AM

Old Post Apr 14th, 2015 04:14 AM
dynamix is currently offline Click here to Send dynamix a Private Message Find more posts by dynamix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by Supermutant
I never stated that he was rich or that everything was exactly the same,

I like him not being a Billionaire. We have too many Billionaire Vigilante superheroes so it's good to have just a normal business man whose business actually doesn't bring in too much because of how moral he is.

Old Post Apr 14th, 2015 10:16 AM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Firefly218
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Lestov16
Fisk is so awesome. I love how he's both violently impulsive and meticulously prepared at the same time. [SPOILER - highlight to read]: He kills the Russian on a whim for interrupting his date, but then immediately utilizes it to his advantage of gaining power. He may be the MCU's best villain yet.

IMO, this show struck the perfect balance of a villain so likeable that you root for their success, but not to the point that it outshines the heroes.

And this is just the origin of Kingpin. Think how freakin badass he'll be once he goes full villain.

Old Post Apr 14th, 2015 12:45 PM
Firefly218 is currently offline Click here to Send Firefly218 a Private Message Find more posts by Firefly218 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wei Phoenix
One-Eyed Dragon Of Oshu

Last episode spoiler question.

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: So what do you think the favor was that Wilson asked Vanessa to do for him? Was it setting up his escape or could it be something deeper than that, something that we will find out in season 2. I think it will be something crucial to him getting off from the charges.

You Wa Shock!

Old Post Apr 14th, 2015 04:52 PM
Wei Phoenix is currently offline Click here to Send Wei Phoenix a Private Message Find more posts by Wei Phoenix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Originally posted by Wei Phoenix
Last episode spoiler question.

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: So what do you think the favor was that Wilson asked Vanessa to do for him? Was it setting up his escape or could it be something deeper than that, something that we will find out in season 2. I think it will be something crucial to him getting off from the charges.

it's for her to buy him his white suit he wears in the comics big grin

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Apr 14th, 2015 05:49 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Supermutant

Originally posted by DARTH POWER
I like him not being a Billionaire. We have too many Billionaire Vigilante superheroes so it's good to have just a normal business man whose business actually doesn't bring in too much because of how moral he is.

I don't disagree, but I'm curious why I was quoted for this point? confused

Old Post Apr 14th, 2015 06:46 PM
Darth Thor

Originally posted by Supermutant
I don't disagree, but I'm curious why I was quoted for this point? confused

Just carrying on something you mentioned.

Old Post Apr 14th, 2015 07:04 PM
Arachnid1

I finally finished the show. Most I liked, some I hated. I'll start off with the worst, which I'm surprised none of you have brought up.

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: Killing Ben Urich was a BIG mistake. You guys are complaining about losing Weasley, which sucked, but Ben's death was the worst. He is a very integral part of the Marvel U. I thought him getting fired would just be the next step to him working for the Daily Bugle with Spidey in his movie, but then they just brutally killed him off. It didn't even really serve the story either. Events would have played out the same either way with the crooked detective. His wifes entire 'feeling' that his best stories were yet to come was just a stupid little misleading comment. I can practically hear the writers loling right now at peoples reactions.

I usually like characters getting killed off, but not pointlessly. It needs to drive the story forward in some way. Urich is such a big part of so many Marvel stories that killing him off in the first season of Daredevil was the writers shooting themselves in the foot.

For example, he never had a kid with his wife. That means the End of Days adaption, which is cannon to 616, will never happen. In that story, Urich is investigating the death of Daredevil. Its actually serves as an origin story for Matt's protege, who happens to be Urichs son. This story is for sure impossible, which is fine, but it's just an example. There are a ton of other stories with Urich playing a pivotal part. You just know they're gonna make a new reporter character to fill the gaps in season 2. This is the big thing that took away from this series.

Another big point I didn't like was Fisk pointlessly murdering The Owl, who is a villain in his own right. Reminds me of how wasted Black Mask was in Arkham Origins only to play second fiddle to Joker. Sure, I was never a huge fan of The Owl, but he could have served to give some good little side stories. No point thinning out Daredevils rogues gallery before he's even Daredevil.

Lastly, DDs mask looked terrible. The suit itself was fine, if a little cluttered. The mask is what could have sold it as amazing, but it looked bad.

Everything else was great. The actor who played Matt absolutely nailed it. Fisk was even more perfect, somehow. I loved how this served as an origin story for Fisk as much as it did one for Matt. He wasn't the Kingpin yet, but it showed how he transformed into the Kingpin. I'm sure we'll get him in season 2 or 3 as the full fledged father of the criminal underworld. That scene were he was liberated from custody was absolutely badass. You can tell that he was born in the back of that armored vehicle.

Also loved all the set up for Iron Fist.

Now I just need a Punisher series to have him clash with Kingpin and Bullseye, and I'll die happy. Also hoping DD shows up in Civil War.

PWNT

Old Post Apr 14th, 2015 10:27 PM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindset

Are they making a punisher series?

Sometimes all you have left is your Rage

Old Post Apr 14th, 2015 10:44 PM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Firefly218
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Arachnid1
I finally finished the show. Most I liked, some I hated. I'll start off with the worst, which I'm surprised none of you have brought up.

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: Killing Ben Urich was a BIG mistake. You guys are complaining about losing Weasley, which sucked, but Ben's death was the worst. He is a very integral part of the Marvel U. I thought him getting fired would just be the next step to him working for the Daily Bugle with Spidey in his movie, but then they just brutally killed him off. It didn't even really serve the story either. Events would have played out the same either way with the crooked detective. His wifes entire 'feeling' that his best stories were yet to come was just a stupid little misleading comment. I can practically hear the writers loling right now at peoples reactions.

I usually like characters getting killed off, but not pointlessly. It needs to drive the story forward in some way. Urich is such a big part of so many Marvel stories that killing him off in the first season of Daredevil was the writers shooting themselves in the foot.

For example, he never had a kid with his wife. That means the End of Days adaption, which is cannon to 616, will never happen. In that story, Urich is investigating the death of Daredevil. Its actually serves as an origin story for Matt's protege, who happens to be Urichs son. This story is for sure impossible, which is fine, but it's just an example. There are a ton of other stories with Urich playing a pivotal part. You just know they're gonna make a new reporter character to fill the gaps in season 2. This is the big thing that took away from this series.

Another big point I didn't like was Fisk pointlessly murdering The Owl, who is a villain in his own right. Reminds me of how wasted Black Mask was in Arkham Origins only to play second fiddle to Joker. Sure, I was never a huge fan of The Owl, but he could have served to give some good little side stories. No point thinning out Daredevils rogues gallery before he's even Daredevil.

Lastly, DDs mask looked terrible. The suit itself was fine, if a little cluttered. The mask is what could have sold it as amazing, but it looked bad.

Everything else was great. The actor who played Matt absolutely nailed it. Fisk was even more perfect, somehow. I loved how this served as an origin story for Fisk as much as it did one for Matt. He wasn't the Kingpin yet, but it showed how he transformed into the Kingpin. I'm sure we'll get him in season 2 or 3 as the full fledged father of the criminal underworld. That scene were he was liberated from custody was absolutely badass. You can tell that he was born in the back of that armored vehicle.

Also loved all the set up for Iron Fist.

Now I just need a Punisher series to have him clash with Kingpin and Bullseye, and I'll die happy. Also hoping DD shows up in Civil War.

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: Wilson Fisk killing Urich contributed to his character's development. The ppl he kills makes him realize that he's really a villain and not a good guy, establishing him as Kingpin

Old Post Apr 14th, 2015 10:52 PM
Firefly218 is currently offline Click here to Send Firefly218 a Private Message Find more posts by Firefly218 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

Originally posted by Firefly218
[SPOILER - highlight to read]: Wilson Fisk killing Urich contributed to his character's development. The ppl he kills makes him realize that he's really a villain and not a good guy, establishing him as Kingpin
[SPOILER - highlight to read]: TBH, it wasn't necessary. Wesley being killed, his wife being hospitalized, and his mother being pulled into it probably had more to do with him going full evil than him killing Urich. Him beating Matt to near death and engineering Nobu's death prior to that showed that him killing Urich was not any kind of barrier he could never cross. It was just a 'look at him, he's such an evil character killing someone you like!' moment.

PWNT

Old Post Apr 14th, 2015 11:35 PM
illadelph
aka Rakim Illa

I believe [SPOILER - highlight to read]: Leland's son will become The Owl. He mentioned his son being overseas and having funneled money to him. Plus, Leland was too old to be an active villain. His son is likely his protege and will seek revenge for his dad by becoming a rival to Fisk.

PSN: Illadelph12Prime, Haksaw_Jim_Thugn - Tumblr: Mighty-Illactus
>Z<

Old Post Apr 15th, 2015 12:09 AM
illadelph is currently offline Click here to Send illadelph a Private Message Find more posts by illadelph Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

Originally posted by MF DELPH
I believe [SPOILER - highlight to read]: Leland's son will become The Owl. He mentioned his son being overseas and having funneled money to him. Plus, Leland was too old to be an active villain. His son is likely his protege and will seek revenge for his dad by becoming a rival to Fisk.
I can live with this then, though I actually liked the one we had.

PWNT

Old Post Apr 15th, 2015 12:24 AM