KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » TV Talk Forum » Supergirl

Supergirl
Started by: Time Immemorial

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (33): « First ... « 17 18 [19] 20 21 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIC5mq3hzm0

Like the Arrow trailer this one provides little context to the scene, the General dude from Agents of Shield is supposed to be Lex maybe?

"Happiness is a lie. Life is horror. The light is always dying all across the universe. The last star will flicker out someday, when it does, all that remains is shadow. And I will be its king!"'-Amahl Farouk

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2017 03:05 AM
carthage is currently offline Click here to Send carthage a Private Message Find more posts by carthage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bluewaterrider

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Flyattractor

Ahh the old "Clark is Holding Back" bit.. which is funny cause that is always followed by [insert Female Hero name] is ALSO holding back ...

Because Little Girls will only read comics if their Heroette easily [beats all men] with absolutely no Effort ...

I'm not sure where anybody could get "no effort" from who actually watched this fight. "No skill", maybe, 'cause strategic the fighters ain't, but it's definitely rough on both of them ...

I have absolutely no problem with Supergirl being physically stronger than Superman. Or knocking him out, even (especially) in a slugfest.

As for this particular fight, Superman apologists can comfort themselves with the knowledge that

1) DC writers nearly always backtrack.

2) Superman was mentally compromised to the point he legitimately believed Kara was Zod.

Old Post Jul 24th, 2017 06:53 PM
bluewaterrider is currently offline Click here to Send bluewaterrider a Private Message Find more posts by bluewaterrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

I guess SG being the Earth's numero uno partially rids of the problem of "why isn't Superman there when so and so is going down"

Still was looking forward to SM in the finale, but he was literally just there to lose to Kara.

Old Post Jul 25th, 2017 11:22 PM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bluewaterrider

Originally posted by -Pr-
To be fair, it's not like the show is written particularly well either. And the dialogue, like Digi said, is appalling at times.

When this show does things right, though, it does them right.
The Season 1 conversation where Cat Grant originally reveals she knows Kara's secret, for instance, is absolutely stellar:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bcys7EyzGco

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2017 02:38 AM
bluewaterrider is currently offline Click here to Send bluewaterrider a Private Message Find more posts by bluewaterrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bluewaterrider

Originally posted by Darth Thor
I guess SG being the Earth's numero uno partially rids of the problem of "why isn't Superman there when so and so is going down"

Still was looking forward to SM in the finale, but he was literally just there to lose to Kara.

I'm curious to know what you and others might think of the following perspective now. Mind you, the author is not me, but I agree with at least some of the points being made:

http://www.buddytv.com/articles/sup...-mak-64823.aspx

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2017 02:07 AM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by bluewaterrider
When this show does things right, though, it does them right.
The Season 1 conversation where Cat Grant originally reveals she knows Kara's secret, for instance, is absolutely stellar:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bcys7EyzGco

It's decent, sure, but it's still the exception rather than the rule, I would argue.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2017 02:22 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bluewaterrider

I would give much to know WHEN the writers of this series decide on certain things. For instance, the arc with Maggie Sawyer likely would and could not have happened on relatively conservative and family-oriented CBS. It had to wait until the show's move to CW. I'd like to say ditto for Kara winding up in bed with Mon-El in Season 2, but I can't be sure, for the moral compass regarding that sort of thing moved longer ago. If it did, though, it neatly fits into the paradigm of waiting till constraints are removed. Constraints for the Jonn J'onzz reveal seem to have been decided when the fledgling show thought a full season would not be picked up and they figured "Why not?" Ditto for the Cat Grant reveal shown in that earlier clip. The FOLLOWING episode, by contrast, seems written to put a genie back in the bottle. Bomb on a train episode had to wait until Paris explosion was no longer the current week's topic. Astra was replaced as Big Bad when the actress had to leave the show due to other commitments. Cat Grant went on hiatus when the crew had to move sets to Vancouver, which Callista Flockhart was not willing to do.

I suppose I'm trying to say the writing team seems to be more adaptive than average and the inevitable perception of inconsistency as bad writing is largely what you're seeing.

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2017 03:29 AM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

I have plenty of sympathy for their troubles, but I honestly don't think you can lay every issue with the show at the feet of "the writers have to adapt a lot". Some decisions may be because their hands were forced, but I'm sure just as many are simply due to bad writing.

I'm curious to know what you and others might think of the following perspective now. Mind you, the author is not me, but I agree with at least some of the points being made:

I'm not sure how to feel about any of that, tbh.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2017 04:22 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
samhain
The Demon Hunter

Goes on about gender progression but then has lines like; "Only a woman could willingly walk into the depths of despair."

rolling on floor laughing smokin' messed

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2017 11:17 AM
samhain is currently offline Click here to Send samhain a Private Message Find more posts by samhain Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bluewaterrider

Must say I am somewhat pleased to see elements of the show appearing in the regular Supergirl comic series now. It's as if DC is finally starting to ask:

"Why shouldn't Kara be a physical powerhouse performing on and above the level of what's-his-name?"

On the DC preview to a recent ish, for instance, we see Kara squaring off against Solomon Grundy, much as her cousin was wont to do. Save they seemed to have decided a Superman-sized Grundy would not do. They decide to Kong-size Grundy instead and ratchet up Supergirl's might to match or exceed it:

(please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image)

Old Post Sep 14th, 2017 07:19 PM
bluewaterrider

Fans of Season 1 of the Melissa Benoist show should recognize the till-now TV exclusive character Indigo, originally played by Laura Vandervoort:

(please log in to view the image)

Likewise the comics seem to be playing off the family as antagonist theme.
Supergirl the show did that with her aunt and uncle. Supergirl the main comic seems to be exploring that with her father, or what has become of him:

(please log in to view the image)

Actually, now that I think about it, the Benoist show has made "father" a primary antagonist, too, albeit her adopted one, not her biological.

Interestingly, though I actually don't particularly like this aspect, the comics seems to be going with the idea that tech and nanotechnology beings are/will be gods, much as the show did with Lena Luthor's former beau.
Note that mega-Grundy, who, arguably, would trash the Man of Steel, is yet a challenge for Supergirl, despite her having so much power at this point that she is struggling to control it. To Indigo, though?

(please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image)

But tech is tech, I guess. It's still nice to finally see Kara again displaying might in the conventional sense

(please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image)

Old Post Sep 14th, 2017 07:46 PM
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

When did she fight Grundy the issue I read her "father" just died and the DEO got split up

Was that the issue before??

"Happiness is a lie. Life is horror. The light is always dying all across the universe. The last star will flicker out someday, when it does, all that remains is shadow. And I will be its king!"'-Amahl Farouk

Old Post Sep 14th, 2017 10:29 PM
carthage is currently offline Click here to Send carthage a Private Message Find more posts by carthage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Am I misunderstanding you? Indigo was in the comics before she was on TV. Unless this is some sort of new Indigo?

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Sep 15th, 2017 12:40 AM
bluewaterrider

Originally posted by carthage
When did she fight Grundy the issue I read her "father" just died and the DEO got split up

Was that the issue before??

Fight starts in issue #12 ends in issue #13.

Keep in mind though, there is another series titled The Adventures of Supergirl being published now as well. Both are based to various extent, on the Melissa Benoist show. You might be confusing the two.

Old Post Sep 15th, 2017 04:07 AM
bluewaterrider

Am I misunderstanding you? Indigo was in the comics before she was on TV. Unless this is some sort of new Indigo?

Unless the one you're thinking of can become incorporeal, travel along Internet lines and one-shot Solomon Grundy, this is probably a new character from the Indigo you have in mind.

You're right though, even if altered, there WAS an Indigo in the comics before this one, a character I'd completely forgotten about.

(If the Indigo you're thinking of CAN do all the stuff I mentioned above, the misunderstanding is all mine.)

Old Post Sep 15th, 2017 04:49 AM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Unless the one you're thinking of can become incorporeal, travel along Internet lines and one-shot Solomon Grundy, this is probably a new character from the Indigo you have in mind.

You're right though, even if altered, there WAS an Indigo in the comics before this one, a character I'd completely forgotten about.

(If the Indigo you're thinking of CAN do all the stuff I mentioned above, the misunderstanding is all mine.)

Talking about this one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brainiac_8

I had thought that the Supergirl character was at least loosely based on her.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Sep 16th, 2017 11:52 AM
bluewaterrider

Talking about this one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brainiac_8

I had thought that the Supergirl character was at least loosely based on her.

Seldom am I made so aware of how much synchronicity/copying/stealing is a part of these industries as when I talk with you or Salsa. You wouldn't believe how jarring it was to read part of what you gave. From your Wikipedia article linked above:

Brainiac 8 had been sent back in time to kill Donna Troy, because a living Donna would negate Coluan domination over the "organics" after the Infinite Crisis events. After a beating by the combined forces of Teen Titans and Outsiders, in Outsiders (vol. 3) #25, the Indigo persona wrests control from Brainiac 8, and reveals herself to be a genuine personality. Weeping, she begs Shift to kill her before the Brainac 8 persona could harm the people she loves. Shift, in tears, transforms her molecular structure into flesh, killing her in the process.

----------------

Now compare the above to what is shown involving the character "Cameron" in the clips linked below:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X2diJksrYUw

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8Py7DVRs6kM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MSOfoFpaTN8

(If for some reason the above gets erased from YouTube, look up "The Sarah Connor Chronicles" in Wikipedia.)

Old Post Sep 16th, 2017 06:16 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Seldom am I made so aware of how much synchronicity/copying/stealing is a part of these industries as when I talk with you or Salsa. You wouldn't believe how jarring it was to read part of what you gave. From your Wikipedia article linked above:

Brainiac 8 had been sent back in time to kill Donna Troy, because a living Donna would negate Coluan domination over the "organics" after the Infinite Crisis events. After a beating by the combined forces of Teen Titans and Outsiders, in Outsiders (vol. 3) #25, the Indigo persona wrests control from Brainiac 8, and reveals herself to be a genuine personality. Weeping, she begs Shift to kill her before the Brainac 8 persona could harm the people she loves. Shift, in tears, transforms her molecular structure into flesh, killing her in the process.

----------------

Now compare the above to what is shown involving the character "Cameron" in the clips linked below:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X2diJksrYUw

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8Py7DVRs6kM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MSOfoFpaTN8

(If for some reason the above gets erased from YouTube, look up "The Sarah Connor Chronicles" in Wikipedia.)

Poor Summer Glau.

I actually liked the whole Shift and Indigo thing. Really pulled at the heartstrings.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Sep 18th, 2017 05:17 PM
bluewaterrider

Poor Summer Glau.

I actually liked the whole Shift and Indigo thing. Really pulled at the heartstrings.

I fear I've watched too many videos to view things as the average person does anymore. Now instead of merely seeing Shift/Indigo/James Cameron's TERMINATOR/Cameron Reese reformed terminator of the Sarah Connor Chronicles (TSCC), I wonder why Transhumanism is a theme.

Tonight, watching the beginning of Supergirl, Season 3, I'm thinking how pulls to the heartstrings are used to advance an agenda.

There's a term in cinema studies that describes how context causes people to interpret neutral visual stimuli according to what they are thinking or feeling at the moment. I do not remember what that term is right now, but am fairly certain the producers were trying to utilize it when they crafted the scene of J'onn happily accepting Alex's request to walk her down the aisle. So political ...
I did more than merely smile at the scene myself, I've developed a great liking for both characters from Season 1, but I couldn't help but realize the intent is not merely to show the father/daughter dynamic of J'onn and Alex, which is as real as any fictional portrayal could ever make it, but to subtly equate acceptance of blacks to acceptance of gays and lesbians. These two are not equivalent, but the show seeks to make them appear so. I am not sure if I object to that type of subtle political propaganda more or less than the type employed by having Cat Grant say what she said regarding climate change. I suppose more, because the former type of manipulation can go undetected, and so is presumably more effective. It's bitterly disappointing. Has me hoping against hope that Lima's departure is as complete as that of the actress who played Kara's Aunt Astra, really.

Old Post Oct 10th, 2017 02:12 AM
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

lol the Trump jabs about climate change and wiretapping had the subtlety of a brick to the face.

Old Post Oct 11th, 2017 03:31 AM
TheVaultDweller is currently offline Click here to Send TheVaultDweller a Private Message Find more posts by TheVaultDweller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote