KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » TV Talk Forum » Supergirl

Supergirl
Started by: Time Immemorial

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (33): « First ... « 18 19 [20] 21 22 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
samhain
The Demon Hunter

And Adrian Pasdar's character disagreed with a woman so he's a sexist. Lol.

rolling on floor laughing smokin' messed

Old Post Oct 11th, 2017 10:36 AM
samhain is currently offline Click here to Send samhain a Private Message Find more posts by samhain Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Looks like the writers are all in on the soapboxing.

Now we've got schools overreacting to one off incidents, a gay wedding, CEO micro managing, constant Trump commentary from Cat Grant..

I liked the show in spite of all that, but I'm afraid the writers believe the soapboxing is why people liked it, and ramped the dial up to 11..

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Oct 17th, 2017 02:28 PM
cdtm is online now! Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

The "fear" villain, maybe I'm reading too much into it, but felt her little speech was really about Trumps/alt rights supposed populism "fear based politics".

So, Lena knows Kara is Supergirl, right?

First Jimmy, now Lena do the "work first" thing? Is Kara gonna quit every other week now?

..and I really hope Ruby isn't a play on RWBY.. As if they're signaling to who they think their audience is.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Last edited by cdtm on Oct 17th, 2017 at 03:16 PM

Old Post Oct 17th, 2017 03:10 PM
cdtm is online now! Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bluewaterrider

quote: (post)
Originally posted by cdtm
The "fear" villain, maybe I'm reading too much into it, but felt her little speech was really about Trumps/alt rights supposed populism "fear based politics".

The show is heavily political, but I'm not so sure the villain of this week was an example of that. There really was a villain named Psi, and her alter ego was Gayle Marsh, just as in this show, iirc. She appeared in the first 3 issues of the Daring New Adventures of Supergirl comic book series of the early 1980s.

The TV villain seems to have blended elements of the comic version and a female villain that appeared immediately after that arc named Mesmer, of a gang under control of a shadow organization called "The Council". Her gang was called ... The Gang. The degree of symmetry is not extraordinarily high, but it IS noticeable to anyone who read those issues:

(please log in to view the image)

So, Lena knows Kara is Supergirl, right?

At the start of this episode?
Probably not.
Or at least we're apparently meant to think not.

By the end of this episode, though, considering what Kara did to part of the CatCo building and the timing of it, probably.

First Jimmy, now Lena do the "work first" thing? Is Kara gonna quit every other week now?

This was actually a feature of Supergirl in the 70s and the 80s as well.
She went from College student to photographer/reporter to Soap Opera star to Counselor at a school called New Athens.

There were at least 1 or 2 periods where she operated as Supergirl full time and started losing touch with her "human" side, too.

I really hope Ruby isn't a play on RWBY.. As if they're signaling to who they think their audience is.

confused

Old Post Oct 19th, 2017 01:42 AM
bluewaterrider is currently offline Click here to Send bluewaterrider a Private Message Find more posts by bluewaterrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bluewaterrider

Looks like the writers are all in on the soapboxing.

Now we've got schools overreacting to one off incidents, a gay wedding, CEO micro managing, constant Trump commentary from Cat Grant..

I liked the show in spite of all that, but I'm afraid the writers believe the soapboxing is why people liked it, and ramped the dial up to 11..

There were definitely a lot of people who felt betrayed by the show writers of Supergirl since its move to CW.

https://www.commonsensemedia.org/tv...r-reviews/adult

With any luck, the increasing unavailability of Florianna Lima will encourage them to focus on the things that made Season 1 good viewing.

Old Post Oct 20th, 2017 02:10 AM
bluewaterrider is currently offline Click here to Send bluewaterrider a Private Message Find more posts by bluewaterrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

Just realized that the guy who played Martian Manhunter in the Justice League show, portrayed Jonn's father in the most recent episode

"Happiness is a lie. Life is horror. The light is always dying all across the universe. The last star will flicker out someday, when it does, all that remains is shadow. And I will be its king!"'-Amahl Farouk

Old Post Oct 24th, 2017 07:27 AM
carthage is currently offline Click here to Send carthage a Private Message Find more posts by carthage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

I knew the voice sounded similar but didn’t realize it was the exact same person. Awesome. He was about the only good thing to have come of the episode, between the predictable family drama over gay marriage and everything else.

Old Post Oct 24th, 2017 09:28 AM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Didn't know that. That's fantastic, I for one was a fan of John over Jordan on the show.

Anyways, anyone notice something a bit off about thia episode? Something that doesn't really belong to the Superman mythos?

Like casually slaughtering a few martians? Code against killing and all that?

Kara has blood on her hands now, people. And so casual about it too, smile, glitter, and unicorns with whiffs of martian ozone still in the air..

Old Post Oct 24th, 2017 04:02 PM
bluewaterrider

anyone notice something a bit off about this episode? Something that doesn't really belong to the Superman mythos?

Like casually slaughtering a few martians? Code against killing and all that?

Kara has blood on her hands now, people. And so casual about it too, smile, glitter, and unicorns with whiffs of martian ozone still in the air..

You've missed a lot of Supergirl's screen time in this AND previous eras if you think that's something new. Supergirl has been a martial character since AT LEAST the 1980s, and possibly before then.

Old Post Oct 24th, 2017 11:03 PM
cdtm

Originally posted by bluewaterrider
You've missed a lot of Supergirl's screen time in this AND previous eras if you think that's something new. Supergirl has been a martial character since AT LEAST the 1980s, and possibly before then.

If she was in this version, that would be fine. But remember Alex killing Astra was a huge deal. Something she found unforgivable when she thought J'on did it.

There isn't really much reason to believe Supergirl doesn't have a standard (Especially for anyone with an S shield) heroic "code of killing" outside of this one example.

And because it's never happened to a human, I'm inclined to believe the writers simply fell into the "Moral drift" that happens the less human a being appears.

Seriously, if these martians looked like red blooded humans, would it have happened?

Old Post Oct 24th, 2017 11:11 PM
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

And of course, they had to sneak in more Trump commentary with the building a wall jabs. But it seems like there are a few CW writers in this camp. Had multiple goes at Trump on this season of Supergirl, and even got Trump's MAGA slogan associated with Satan and Hell on Supernatural. As I have mentioned previously, I don't particularly care for the guy either, but these shows aren't the place for the writers to air their personal political butthurt.

Old Post Oct 25th, 2017 02:05 AM
TheVaultDweller is currently offline Click here to Send TheVaultDweller a Private Message Find more posts by TheVaultDweller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bluewaterrider

If she was in this version, that would be fine. But remember Alex killing Astra was a huge deal. Something she found unforgivable when she thought J'onn did it.

There isn't really much reason to believe Supergirl doesn't have a standard (Especially for anyone with an S shield) heroic "code of killing" outside of this one example.

And because it's never happened to a human, I'm inclined to believe the writers simply fell into the "Moral drift" that happens the less human a being appears.

Seriously, if these martians looked like red blooded humans, would it have happened?

Short answer? Yes.

You're forgetting exactly who killed Mon-El's mom, Rhea, in the finale of Season 2, and possibly numberless other, VERY human-looking Daxamites in that same episode. It sure wasn't J'onn or Alex ...

Old Post Oct 25th, 2017 03:07 AM
bluewaterrider

Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
And of course, they had to sneak in more Trump commentary with the building a wall jabs. But it seems like there are a few CW writers in this camp. Had multiple goes at Trump on this season of Supergirl, and even got Trump's MAGA slogan associated with Satan and Hell on Supernatural.

I actually have a thread dedicated to those kinds of observations and analysis.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/...=9#post16363647

I'd be very appreciative if you could show me a clip with the Supernatural scene you mention here.

Old Post Oct 25th, 2017 03:14 AM
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

I actually have a thread dedicated to those kinds of observations and analysis.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/...=9#post16363647

I'd be very appreciative if you could show me a clip with the Supernatural scene you mention here.

I'll try and see if there is a clip of it, but it was a comment in passing, so not sure if someone will bother to upload it to youtube or something. It's in episode 2 of season 13. And it was basically along the lines of two demons chatting to each other, talking about the state of Hell and its leadership, and then the one demon remarks to the other one about how Lucifer will "make Hell great again", which is a very obvious play on Trump's "make America great again" slogan.

Old Post Oct 25th, 2017 03:33 AM
TheVaultDweller is currently offline Click here to Send TheVaultDweller a Private Message Find more posts by TheVaultDweller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Short answer? Yes.

You're forgetting exactly who killed Mon-El's mom, Rhea, in the finale of Season 2, and possibly numberless other, VERY human-looking Daxamites in that same episode. It sure wasn't J'onn or Alex ...

Kara was half dead herself, and afask was handed a way to drive off an invading force (One she had heavy reservations against in best of times) that successfully conquored the planet. Even if Rhea's death wasn't unintentional, poisoning an invading force is a bit different then backhanding someone onto a rock spike in a melee, as she did, much less blasting them to bits without hesitation when it really wasn't necessary (No cities at stake, just a standard hero melee. Happens all the time, with similar stakes, and she's never ripped Heshaw's head off..)

Last edited by cdtm on Oct 25th, 2017 at 02:56 PM

Old Post Oct 25th, 2017 02:48 PM
cdtm

Oh yeah, you just know sending the staff to Earth is going to result in a bunch of White Martian invasions. Good job rebels, you just screwed over your saviors planet. thumb up

Old Post Oct 25th, 2017 03:19 PM
bluewaterrider

Kara was half dead herself, and afaik was handed a way to drive off an invading force (One she had heavy reservations against in best of times) that successfully conquered the planet. Even if Rhea's death wasn't unintentional, poisoning an invading force is a bit different then backhanding someone onto a rock spike in a melee, as she did, much less blasting them to bits without hesitation when it really wasn't necessary (No cities at stake, just a standard hero melee. Happens all the time, with similar stakes, and she's never ripped Heshaw's head off..)

I think you missed a scene or two. Not merely a city, but the entire planet Mars was at stake here, along with the final fate of the known Green Martian race (in the form of J'onn and his father).

And that's ignoring what would eventually happen once the majority White Martians FULLY commit their attention to an Earth now lacking the shielding intervention of J'onn and M'Gann's resistance movement.

Old Post Oct 25th, 2017 09:32 PM
cdtm

I knew you would say this as soon as I posted. stick out tongue

It's what I would have said. wink

My response, is yes, the white martians are basically space nazi's and would have killed a lot more, and easily. And IF it was necessary to kill to prevent that, then yeah sure, I can see it happening. Just like Man of Steel Superman killed Zod to save a family of huddling people so frozen in fear they couldn't move away from the very slowly approaching heat vision. smile

HOWEVER... there was no threat here. Kara HAD the staff in her hands. Strictly speaking, there was no call for killing someone in this instance.

Because again, if there were, you could argue Metallo, Reactron, the various evil businessmen and aliens and such would deserve to die, too, if not because of the scale of the attrocities they'd inflict, then because they at least threatened friends, family, strangers. Astra never should have been a blip on the radar, by that standard.

I mean, you want to argue "In times of great need, do what you must", that's fine. I'm onboard with that.

But there's a difference between killing to save many with the greatest of reservations, and what Frank Castle does. And Kara's slaughter of white martians after having taken possession of the staff was more in line with Castle, imo.

Old Post Oct 25th, 2017 11:58 PM
bluewaterrider

Hey, real quick, while you're here, what's a RWBY?

I'll respond to your other stuff after awhile, but, in the meantime, I had little idea of what your acronym meant when you posted days ago, and still don't.

Old Post Oct 26th, 2017 12:05 AM
cdtm

It's a pretty awesome web series.

Basically, a "faux anime" (Because it's CGI, and true anime is hand drawn) about a bunch of kids with "fighting game" like powers/skills.

If you've heard of Red vs Blue, it's by the same team. Monty Oum was the animator, who died tragically before season 3 (He also did a nifty Dead or Alive/Final Fantasy brawl series called Dead Fantasy.)

RWBY has enough of a following to make it to the mainstream in a crossover game series by Arc System Works, along with Blazblue and two others I'm not ad famaliar with.

Shows are free online if you want to check them out.

Old Post Oct 26th, 2017 12:24 AM