KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » TV Talk Forum » Supergirl

Supergirl
Started by: Time Immemorial

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (21): « First ... « 19 20 [21]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
bluewaterrider

In no particular order:

I agree with the overall idea that Supergirl is not adhering to the code people might expect of her. However, in reality, there has always been some violation of morality where she's involved, and could scarcely be any other way. A superhero with a secret identity is already practicing deception to some degree, and this often involves outright lying, which is a violation of moral code to begin with. We ARE dealing, past Season 2, with a Supergirl whose moral affronts are at once more subtle AND more blatant, however. The show is no longer an all ages affair, assuming it ever truly was.

It's quite possible the writers feel they are exploring the character more in depth.
The lethality "works" to some extent regardless of what point of view you examine it from.

Kara the Kryptonian should think to dispose of White Martians from the point of simple logic. What graver threat is there among any species we've seen on the show so far?
Kara the Human has herself and her family and friends to protect. Emotionally, she should want these alien nightmares gone and gone forever.
Kara the soldier is combatant on a battlefield, with most of her allies down or weakened, and she herself is now alone facing enemies who not only rival, but possibly surpass her strength and speed, and who can take away the advantage she has if given even 1 moment to attack her mind.

There isn't anything I saw first run of this episode that led me to believe Kara had any reason to think her side was "safe" until she blasted away her opponents. The thing I found jarring was not the action, merely her cavalier attitude toward it.

I'm not 100% sure Kara hasn't killed even in Season 1 after gaining theoretical advantage, though.

Consider the 2:20 -- 2:30 mark of the following clip, featuring Kara's final confrontation with the Master Jailer. Looks and sounds suspiciously like a neck being snapped here, and, maybe I just missed it, but I don't recall ever seeing or hearing mention of this guy ever again ...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wOBtLnNM0oI

Old Post Oct 26th, 2017 12:42 AM
bluewaterrider is currently offline Click here to Send bluewaterrider a Private Message Find more posts by bluewaterrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
@#$%

Random thought here:

Know what made that scene perfect? Just before getting the staff, Kara sees two martians slugging it out, hits one, and the other asked "How could you tell us apart?"

"I COULDN'T." eek!

Then they handed her the deadly staff. laughing out loud

Can we get a head count? Wasn't the group larger?

Old Post Oct 26th, 2017 01:03 AM
cdtm is online now! Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bluewaterrider

quote: (post)
Originally posted by bluewaterrider
You've missed a lot of Supergirl's screen time in this AND previous eras if you think that's something new. Supergirl has been a martial character since AT LEAST the 1980s, and possibly before then.

Wanted to come back to this one; the reputation of Supergirl throughout the character's history is such that no one could be expected to notice this fact without it being very directly pointed out.

My 1980s allusion is, of course, a reference to the 1984 film featuring Helen Slater, who now gets frequent guest cameos, including the episode we've been talking about these last few posts, as Kara's adoptive mom. This screen time was movie screen time, and, unfortunately, may well be the reason that the character not only has not seen the big screen again to date, but also the reason the character was nearly erased from DC altogether.

Appropriately enough, then, the partial return of Supergirl, "cousin" of Superman was in a TV Animated Series episode titled "Little Girl Lost".

I highlight this one because it was targeted to an even younger audience, yet arguably features an even more martial "Girl of Steel" than we saw in this recent Mars adventure.

The show had an air date of May 7, 1998, if memory serves, and was a 2-parter that saw its conclusion the next day. Day one featured Kara's discovery by Clark on a private space mission that mirrors but predates the Brandon Routh film's plot. Clark lucks out, finds her alone of all known survivor's in Krypton's quadrant, and brings her back home where, naturally, Kara discovers she now has powers far beyond any normal human on Earth, any Argonian on her home planet, and for that matter, any Kryptonian on theirs.

The first montage showing this is wonderfully filmed as far as 18 year-old cartoons go, an aerial ballet somewhat reminiscent of Slater's, that manages to capture a surprisingly 3D feel:

(please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image)

Noteworthy here is the delight and curiosity Kara has regarding Earth's strange, alien flying creatures ...

Anyway, Kara being Kara in almost any incarnation wants to use her powers for good. Tired of being coddled on the Kent farm even after a few days or weeks, she decides she's going to help Superman battle Intergang, a high technology group of organized criminals plaguing Matropolis. She goes to the Daily Planet in a wig, passing herself off as Clark's cousin ...

(please log in to view the image)

... but Clark being Clark will have none of that.
He takes Kara to a storeroom and then tells Kara to go home to his apartment. Kara removes her wig after Clark leaves her in the storeroom and is about to reluctantly follow his instructions when she overhears Jimmy Olsen trying to convince Lois Lane that HE has an idea of how to track down Intergang.

Kara stops him in the elevator and introduces herself.
Then she works on convincing Jimmy to let her join him:

Oh, wait.

Wrong "Jimmy".

And DEFINITELY the wrong "Supergirl" ...
(How'd that get in there?)

Anyway, truth to tell, Jimmy doesn't require much convincing.
He guesses correctly that what he found at the scene of the last Superman/Intergang skirmish he witnessed were simply tokens from an arcade the teens frequent. He finds the right one, and, with Kara's help, is fortunate enough to I.D. two of the members, which he and Kara trail back to the gang's meeting place ...

(please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image)

Old Post Oct 26th, 2017 12:10 PM
bluewaterrider is currently offline Click here to Send bluewaterrider a Private Message Find more posts by bluewaterrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bluewaterrider

I'm going to take up a few posts here, mainly because I can't think of a way to pare down text without using images.

Kara helps Jimmy solve the problem of how to get in to Intergang's hideout with surreptitious use of her great strength:

(please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image)

Old Post Oct 31st, 2017 11:30 AM
bluewaterrider

... which backfires as, even though Kara is strong enough to easily outmuscle the door's mechanical controls, it proves too heavy to stay jammed in place on its own after Kara releases it.

The sound leads to the pair's near immediate discovery and they find themselves before Intergang's leader, dubbed "Granny Goodness".

Jimmy at this point tries to pass Kara off as his girlfriend, which Kara more than willingly goes along with, but the ruse fails as GG astutely points out that the two have nothing of the psychological background of the delinquent gang's other teen members. Kara tries to reason with the group, but it doesn't work. The duo are attacked, and Kara is forced to physically protect herself and Jimmy.
But Granny Goodness finally reveals the truth of herself. She is not some senior citizen. She is not even a human woman of Earth. She is an alien being from Apokolips, a nightmare world with beings and technology that can even overcome Superman, which soon happens, and Kara is forced to follow via boom tube portal to her cousin's rescue:

(please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image)

Old Post Oct 31st, 2017 11:50 AM
bluewaterrider

Kara is made to feel a helpless little girl again, as she first witnesses some of Apokolips's horrors, and then finds herself being chased by them.
She unthinkingly flees, but then spots something in the distance.
Kara remembers how strong and fast she actually is now.
With lasers flying all around, a simple plan comes to her ...

(please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image)

Old Post Oct 31st, 2017 11:59 AM
bluewaterrider

The plan proves deadly.
Using her strength to remove a large magma pipe, Kara plows through the supports of some heavy machinery, which collapses on top of her closely-following pursuers. This causes an explosion so powerful that Kara, thrown by the force of the blast, makes a deep impression in the metal object she's flung into.
There is little doubt of the fate of those who were closest behind, but Kara's Boom Tube controller, which allowed her to transport to this world, and was supposed to get her back home after she rescues her cousin, is now gone.
She's still being pursued and shot at by the remainder of those nightmarish para guards, though ...

(please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image)

Old Post Oct 31st, 2017 12:13 PM
bluewaterrider

Kara's actions are jarringly ruthless with Group 2.

Where she fled from Group 1, here she awaits them over a heating vent, and stands her ground. When they get close enough, Kara becomes a woman-sized tornado and uses her speed and invulnerability to direct a wave of super-hot flame over the remainder of her assailants. They are forced back, but Kara does not cease her action and directing the flame at them until they are completely immolated. When she finally stops, only burning staffs remain, and, far from showing any remorse, Kara exults in the victory:

The only somewhat saving grace is presented when, a few moments later, Kara holds her head and allows herself a moment to recover from the ordeal. We see at the least that the affair was a mental drain on her, and probably not something she would do as a more experienced hero. It was DEFINITELY a shock for this fan.

Old Post Oct 31st, 2017 12:37 PM
bluewaterrider

At any rate, worth checking out, especially if you are a fan of Kara and Jimmy Olsen.

Superman: The Animated Series. "Little Girl Lost".

(please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image)

Old Post Oct 31st, 2017 12:56 PM
bluewaterrider

No comments on the episode that aired last night yet?

Maybe people have TiVo or something...

Anybody who is religious, particularly Christian, should probably regard this show as a challenge, and never forget that it is one, and a dangerous one, at that.

On a purely fan level, though, this ep was kinda hard NOT to like.

Started off with a plane rescue so reminiscent of the pilot episode's that ...

Well it wasn't a COMPLETE surprise to find it WAS that same rescue, merely shown from different perspective. I'm curious if any of the footage shown for this section was actually 2017, or merely one of many recorded takes that probably did not get aired in 2015.
It strangely called to mind Chesley Sullenberger's Miracle on the Hudson, but that's probably what the scene was supposed to, even as that is what it is obviously derived from:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/US_Airways_Flight_1549

Even 2 years later, this scene with Kara performing her first true super feat makes me feel like a very young fan again. It is still probably the best handled plane save I've watched to date. Here, they explore it from the perspective of one of the saved passengers, who goes on to become the founder of a religion in Supergirl's name ...

Old Post Oct 31st, 2017 04:49 PM
-Pr-

Carl Lumby as a Martian was awesome.

Martian episode was all right otherwise. Better than this week's Legends anyway, even if Maggie's dad looked like an older, more tanned Nate Heywood.

REALLY feel like they need to stop using CGI for J'onn though. For other martians, sure, but they really should have it in their budget to come up with a decent prosthetic.

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured... the first thought forbidden... the first freedom denied chains us all irrevocably."

Last edited by -Pr- on Oct 31st, 2017 at 06:15 PM

Old Post Oct 31st, 2017 06:10 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
carthage

I honestly felt the episode going to Mars is one of the best in the series. The one with the Raon cult was cool, and Reign will likely be the best villain in the series. Her discovery arc seems well done

Old Post Nov 1st, 2017 08:59 PM
carthage is currently offline Click here to Send carthage a Private Message Find more posts by carthage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-

It's a slow-ish burn, which I like. Hopefully it pays off.

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured... the first thought forbidden... the first freedom denied chains us all irrevocably."

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2017 12:58 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

this season sucks so far.. only good thing is carl lumby. the actress portraying reign can't act and the costume she'll wear is pathetic

Thanks Steve... The Darkside of the force...

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2017 02:22 AM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
samhain
The Demon Hunter

Maybe Alex and Maggie should have had the 'children' conversation before they decided to get married after knowing each other less than a year.

rolling on floor laughing smokin' messed

Old Post Nov 8th, 2017 03:31 PM
samhain is currently offline Click here to Send samhain a Private Message Find more posts by samhain Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
@#$%

*whistles* That may be the most painful thing I saw all year.

Oh look, a guy wearing a varsity jacket. I wonder if he's a nice guy. I wonder if any jocks are nice guys, looking at every show ever.

When Buffy ripped off 80's teen drama, they were clever about it. This was just cringe inducing..

Last edited by cdtm on Nov 14th, 2017 at 02:44 PM

Old Post Nov 14th, 2017 02:40 PM
cdtm is online now! Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
samhain
The Demon Hunter

The acting in that last episode was terrible. Like, literally from everybody. The final scene in the cave felt really rushed, as did the episode overall TBH.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 05:44 PM
samhain is currently offline Click here to Send samhain a Private Message Find more posts by samhain Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bluewaterrider

If referring to the last scene, I don't think it was over acted, I think rather that is one scene that NEEDS special effects to be sold properly, and, on a TV budget, after everything ELSE they showed us, they simply didn't have enough left.

I DID marvel at the remarkable pace this show proceeded at.
Think I might wait some time to discuss specifics, given that Pr is talking about episodes more than 8 days old as if they just happened for him, but, yeah, the decompression rate was remarkable.

Happy Kara's sister and Maggie are no longer a thing.
Feeling cautiously optimistic about this show given the other reveal.
Will be very pleased if Alex follows suit.

Old Post Yesterday 11:26 AM
samhain
The Demon Hunter

No real problem with the acting in the final scene but it did feel rushed.

'You are an alien, you have your powers back.'

'I am an alien, I have my powers back, rarrrrggggghhhhh!'

They did give an acceptable reason for her only manifesting her powers now though, although some Kryptonhead will most likely scoff at the numbers.

Old Post Yesterday 12:33 PM