KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Feminists outraged by Batgirl Cover....DC bows down...

Are you offended by this cover art?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
yes 4 18.18%
no 18 81.82%
Total: 22 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Feminists outraged by Batgirl Cover....DC bows down...
Started by: vansonbee

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (13): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Bentley
Seitei

Everytime I see a cover with people in prison I think it encourages prison rape. Let's burn Didio's house for publishing that shit.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by krisblaze
And **** those who want to try and portray video-games as some shit medium with only white guys and machineguns.

I thought that's what non-Nintendo console gaming was.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Mar 19th, 2015 05:49 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
One Big Mob
Dead

Bentley give me 3 or 4 club Nintendo codes.

Old Post Mar 19th, 2015 05:57 AM
One Big Mob is currently offline Click here to Send One Big Mob a Private Message Find more posts by One Big Mob Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Originally posted by Bentley

I thought that's what non-Nintendo console gaming was.

Yeah....when a game such as Madworld got released for the Wii, Makes sense.

Old Post Mar 19th, 2015 06:04 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

Originally posted by Khazra Reborn
If dev's want to make every game from now until the end of time feature a white male in the lead that's their damned right to do so. The fact that people think that they have the right to tell a developer who the protagonist of a game that they aren't making, and have no stake in, should be, is kind of gross.

The developers do have that right. The public also has the right to ask them to change. These aren't mutually exclusive concepts.

Old Post Mar 19th, 2015 06:17 AM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Originally posted by Branlor Swift
Bentley give me 3 or 4 club Nintendo codes.

They aren't compatible between regions, you in Europe?

(Regionlock for the loss)

Originally posted by Kazenji
Yeah....when a game such as Madworld got released for the Wii, Makes sense.

Mario games are racist because the hero is always italian. I want a romani plumber next time.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Mar 19th, 2015 06:26 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
One Big Mob
Dead

Well shit. lol at them region locking the codes though.

Old Post Mar 19th, 2015 06:32 AM
One Big Mob is currently offline Click here to Send One Big Mob a Private Message Find more posts by One Big Mob Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
krisblaze

Originally posted by Branlor Swift
Well shit. lol at them region locking the codes though.

God damn nintenjews.

I can't move my BW pokemon into the pokebank because I have a japanese BW...and they claimed the DS was region-free.

Originally posted by StyleTime
The developers do have that right. The public also has the right to ask them to change. These aren't mutually exclusive concepts.

Indeed.

But that's not really relevant when people who have no clue about videogames or insight into the industry try to paint it as some little boys club where all the protagonists are white 30 somethings.

And people certainly shouldn't be able to strongarm developers or blacklist them for not having a particular character in their games.

Thanks Estacado

Old Post Mar 19th, 2015 09:45 AM
krisblaze is currently offline Click here to Send krisblaze a Private Message Find more posts by krisblaze Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

What bothers me about the original cover is that Batgirl's emotional reaction seems wrong: I can't picture that someone like her, who's faced danger so many times before, would react in the depicted fashion (the "corrected" cover, where she's angry, seems much more in character).

As for the feminists: they have the right to complain, but hey, if you want more female superheroes, this is what can come with that territory. Get perspective and stop projecting your political agenda (I wonder if these are the same feminists who got pissed when Ms. Nevada suggested women learn how to defend themselves).

As for DC: for shame that you buckled.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Mar 19th, 2015 11:11 AM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
krisblaze

^It annoys me that we had very little outcry during the truly bad years of the 90s, but we're seeing this nonsense about covers that are little more than homages to other work....

Thanks Estacado

Old Post Mar 19th, 2015 12:01 PM
krisblaze is currently offline Click here to Send krisblaze a Private Message Find more posts by krisblaze Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Spawns
Cheeky Bastard

Wtf is I don't even think joker is in to rape

Thanks SCRIBS!!!

Old Post Mar 19th, 2015 12:27 PM
Spawns is currently offline Click here to Send Spawns a Private Message Find more posts by Spawns Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

But that's not really relevant when people who have no clue about videogames or insight into the industry try to paint it as some little boys club where all the protagonists are white 30 somethings.

And people certainly shouldn't be able to strongarm developers or blacklist them for not having a particular character in their games.

Well, it shouldn't be difficult to shoot them down if they're wrong though. If it isn't a boys club, you'd do better simply showing them counter examples. The "you're an outsider" defense raises red flags to most people(rightfully so, I'd argue).

I haven't seen the strongarming personally. People have to present an argument for or against something when they see a problem.

Last edited by StyleTime on Mar 19th, 2015 at 03:31 PM

Old Post Mar 19th, 2015 03:24 PM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
krisblaze

Well, it shouldn't be difficult to shoot them down if they're wrong though. If it isn't a boys club, you'd do better simply showing them counter examples. The "you're an outsider" defense raises red flags to most people(rightfully so, I'd argue).

I just gave you 10 examples. Examples of the most critically lauded and commercially successful games.

Hell, even GTA which gets a lot of shit still had a black guy in GTA SA and 5.

I haven't seen the strongarming personally. People have to present an argument for or against something when they see a problem.

Meh, you don't know the state of the industry.

Thanks Estacado

Last edited by krisblaze on Mar 19th, 2015 at 03:51 PM

Old Post Mar 19th, 2015 03:46 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Spawningpool
Wtf is I don't even think joker is in to rape

if it's the right person, I wouldn't put it past him tbh. As dark as It might seem, his obsession with Batman leaves little that he wouldn't do, imo.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Mar 19th, 2015 04:30 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

I just gave you 10 examples. Examples of the most critically lauded and commercially successful games. Hell, even GTA which gets a lot of shit still had a black guy in GTA SA and 5.

I was speaking more in general, as usually there is just a rage response. Regardless, I already voiced typical concerns there, and there's more( the various character creation games being marketed with clear indicators of a certain protagonist, problematic representations, the fact that many of the games you dismissed are still relevant) but I think we're off topic at this point. Might visit the games forum later or something. I do applaud positive changes though, so don't think this is a complete dismissal of what you're saying.

I disagree. You just interpret things differently.

Last edited by StyleTime on Mar 19th, 2015 at 05:09 PM

Old Post Mar 19th, 2015 04:54 PM
roughrider
Thunderer

After thinking it over, I have to agree the cover is at the very least sexist and bias, if not offensive. Show me a cover where the male hero is weeping, fearful and helpless like this one, and I'll be convinced there's a parallel. Simple jeopardy isn't enough.

It's doubly loaded because of the twisted past history between Barbara Gordon and the Joker. It's because of the sick events in 1988's The Killing Joke (also that same year, Green Lantern Katma Tui got murdered in a sick fashion), that was how DC got the discussion going about the 'Women In Refrigerators' syndrome in comics - the name finally getting coined after Kyle Rayner's girlfriend got murdered some years later and shoved in his fridge. After all these years, either DC hasn't learned or they are just provoking for controversy and sales. I mean, they have turned Harley Quinn into an anti-hero after years of accusations they were promoting battered women's syndrome, because she was so loyal to the Joker.

The page showing a simple change in Barbara's expression - going from fearful to angry - that would have made all the necessary difference here.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Mar 19th, 2015 05:23 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smurph
------

It's really frustrating that it's seemingly impossible for an effective discussion on this/adjacent topics to take place without it devolving into inflammatory bullshit.

I appreciated reading Q99 and Pr's stuff on the first page, but since then it's just been pages of this:
Indeed.

lol, what?

and all the rageposting in this thread...

There's obviously lots to talk about concerning this cover, so it would be cool if this thread could facilitate that function.

Old Post Mar 19th, 2015 05:37 PM
Smurph is currently offline Click here to Send Smurph a Private Message Find more posts by Smurph Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
One Big Mob
Dead

Yes that's a good point. Why would she be scared when she's tied up by the biggest psycho in comics who has a gun and is likely in his own warehouse filled with thugs?

And everyone knows Barbara has never cried before. And everyone knows it isn't a reference to the worst moment in her life when she got possibly raped, but for sure got pictures of her taken when she was naked, and got shot and crippled.

Why would she be crying? She should be mad! No woman ever cries.

Old Post Mar 19th, 2015 05:39 PM
Henry_Pym
Ultron Bound

I think the real issue here is did "the Killing Joke" depict Batgirl being raped?

I've always interpreted it as yes, but I assume Joker didn't take part in that, merely enjoying her anguish.

I could understand if that upsets people that it is being brought up, in a very kiddy Batgirl run: couple issues;

1) Feminists don't read comics, atleast not the crazy militant one. They are too busy pooping on parties
2.) this should only offend you if you read Killing Joke and Batgirl's current run so .01% of those people
3.) and most of all... It is a VARIANT Cover, you don't have to buy it.

Old Post Mar 19th, 2015 07:41 PM
Henry_Pym is currently offline Click here to Send Henry_Pym a Private Message Find more posts by Henry_Pym Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

There is nothing wrong with the cover. Idiots, idiots everywhere.

Old Post Mar 19th, 2015 07:42 PM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Henry_Pym
I think the real issue here is did "the Killing Joke" depict Batgirl being raped?

I've always interpreted it as yes, but I assume Joker didn't take part in that, merely enjoying her anguish.

I could understand if that upsets people that it is being brought up, in a very kiddy Batgirl run: couple issues;

1) Feminists don't read comics, atleast not the crazy militant one. They are too busy pooping on parties
2.) this should only offend you if you read Killing Joke and Batgirl's current run so .01% of those people
3.) and most of all... It is a VARIANT Cover, you don't have to buy it.

iirc, Alan Moore said there was no rape.

When I read the original comic, I did think it was possible though.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Mar 19th, 2015 07:54 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote