KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » TV Talk Forum » Fear the Walking Dead

Fear the Walking Dead
Started by: Arachnid1

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (13): « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Ascendancy

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Lestov16
[B]The show kinda shoots itself in the foot. As stated before, for a full scale global zombie apocalypse to occur like it has in the show, humanity just be hell a stupid. As noted before, even in the original, the outbreak only lasted one night. But now, especially with the military as advanced as it is today, no way would society collapse. And what's especially insulting is that it only took 2 months.

Have you not seen the chaos that U.S. cities fall into during riots? That foreign countries fall into during uprisings? That's just people pissed off about one thing or another and causing mayhem.

Take a plague of unknown origin with unconfirmed means of transmission, cities and states with so many means of egress that the population cannot be contained, and add in the fear of said plague to drive confusion and disorder in a location where all major civil authority has broken down. Now that you have the mix, have said plague breaking out in more than one location at a time. Even a government/military willing to use massive ordinance to level square miles at a time likely could not control it, because that kind of force would not be authorized until the outbreak was at a crescendo.

Do you not remember the idiocy that went on with this last round of Ebola? Volunteers flying into hot zones, and them along with people visiting families in said areas allowed to return to countries throughout the world during the window in which they would be asymptomatic but still possibly carrying the disease and contagious. That's exactly how the virus went from Africa to Texas. That is how one infected man ended up infecting medical staff at the hospital where he was quarantined, because proper safeguards were not in place.

Now instead of passive Ebola, imagine there's something that begins in the same way, carried by multiple vectors, then after somehow mutating begins to spread in various locations and spread not in a passive manner, but violently by means of carriers who attack new potential hosts. We don't know the details of the virus in the show as it stands, so we don't know what realistic response could have been made in time to stop it.

World War Z--the novel only--offers a glimpse into just said situation. Military forces throughout the world fail to initially contain it because of slow movement but also because of how fluid almost all countries borders are for creatures that simply wander along without need for rest as they go, and regular checkpoints where someone may be bitten and infected but not showing symptoms enough to be denied passage at the time. That's not even to mention that in both TWD and WWZ zombies in some form or another are able to survive complete immersion in water while remaining fully capable of killing and infecting. So, a few undead float downstream or across a lake or whatever else, and it continues.

I will say that a scenario like 28 Days Later with such an instantaneous and easily seen change in all cases is borderline impossible because the infected would be too easy to spot and deal with. TWD, however, is a very real scenario, just as much as something like Motaba in Outbreak is, because infected doesn't mean symptomatic at the outset.

Lastly, you forget that in TWD we know that at some point it becomes definite that everyone has the virus and turns on death. How does the military control that when thousands of people are dying everyday in retirement homes or at home from natural causes, in hospitals, on street corners when they OD, in restaurants when they have a bad reaction to something, and on and on? An entirely infected population with guaranteed reanimation on death would be impossible to contain.

Last edited by Ascendancy on Sep 19th, 2015 at 06:15 AM

Old Post Sep 19th, 2015 06:13 AM
Ascendancy is currently offline Click here to Send Ascendancy a Private Message Find more posts by Ascendancy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam Grimes
Devil On Your Shoulder

Originally posted by Jmanghan
I guess, however, Lee and Clementine's video games are automatically canon to the comics, since it doesn't contradict anything.
Lee using the word Zombie is a contradiction, it doesn't make the games non-canon, but still.

Lilly is another contradiction to the comic, btw.

Not today, not tomorrow...

Old Post Sep 19th, 2015 07:07 AM
Adam Grimes is currently offline Click here to Send Adam Grimes a Private Message Find more posts by Adam Grimes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

Originally posted by Adam Grimes
Lee using the word Zombie is a contradiction, it doesn't make the games non-canon, but still.

Lilly is another contradiction to the comic, btw.
Its a different Lilly.

Nikkos Tyris Respect Thread

Old Post Sep 19th, 2015 09:14 AM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

Originally posted by Ascendancy

I will say that a scenario like 28 Days Later with such an instantaneous and easily seen change in all cases is borderline impossible because the infected would be too easy to spot and deal with.

In 28 Days Later the zombies were so fast (and capable of parkour, lol) that it makes sense that the disease would rapidly spread across England, especially considering it started in London. Within a few days most of London could have been infected and at that point there'd be so many fast-moving zombies that nothing could have contained them.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Sep 19th, 2015 01:24 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam Grimes
Devil On Your Shoulder

Its a different Lilly.
Telltale intended her to be Woodbury's Lilly.

Old Post Sep 19th, 2015 03:27 PM
Adam Grimes is currently offline Click here to Send Adam Grimes a Private Message Find more posts by Adam Grimes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

Telltale intended her to be Woodbury's Lilly.
Then why did she have a different last name, different relatives, and different personality?

Shes a completely different person.

Nikkos Tyris Respect Thread

Old Post Sep 19th, 2015 11:36 PM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam Grimes
Devil On Your Shoulder

Then why did she have a different last name, different relatives, and different personality?

Shes a completely different person.
Because Kirkman wanted to milk the franchise by green lighting the novels?

Going by that logic Tyresee wouldn't be Tyresee just because he arrived with his sister instead of his daughter and her boyfriend.

Old Post Sep 20th, 2015 12:14 AM
Ascendancy

Originally posted by Omega Vision
In 28 Days Later the zombies were so fast (and capable of parkour, lol) that it makes sense that the disease would rapidly spread across England, especially considering it started in London. Within a few days most of London could have been infected and at that point there'd be so many fast-moving zombies that nothing could have contained them.

No, the film's claim that it spread through the airports, etc, ended up overseas in some cases. That's what I meant. That it wasn't entirely isolated in the UK. It getting out of that facility and the people opening those cages to begin with as well was just nonsense.

Old Post Sep 20th, 2015 02:52 AM
Ascendancy is currently offline Click here to Send Ascendancy a Private Message Find more posts by Ascendancy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

Forget this Boring Show. Watch Z Nation.

Old Post Sep 20th, 2015 05:59 AM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam Grimes
Devil On Your Shoulder

Nah, too silly imo.

Old Post Sep 20th, 2015 06:11 AM
Mindset

This show is boring as fucc.

Sometimes all you have left is your Rage

Old Post Sep 21st, 2015 03:26 AM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

Nah, too silly imo.

yeah. FUN doesn't sale anymore.

Unless its Drama carried into Silly levels that aren't the fun kind of silly.

Old Post Sep 21st, 2015 03:36 PM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam Grimes
Devil On Your Shoulder

Originally posted by Flyattractor
yeah. FUN doesn't sale anymore.

Unless its Drama carried into Silly levels that aren't the fun kind of silly.
If you think silly is synonym of funny... good for you I guess.

Old Post Sep 21st, 2015 04:14 PM
Flyattractor

If you think silly is synonym of funny... good for you I guess.

I said FUN not Funny. Their is a difference.

Old Post Sep 21st, 2015 04:23 PM
Time-Immemorial
Restricted

Account Restricted

So why are they killing non infected?

In order for any life to matter, we all have to matter

Old Post Sep 21st, 2015 05:25 PM
Time-Immemorial is currently offline Click here to Send Time-Immemorial a Private Message Find more posts by Time-Immemorial Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
marwash22
HELL YEAH.

Originally posted by Mindset
This show is boring as fucc.
thumb up

After last night's episode wrapped up, i though to myself, "fck this shit, i'm out"... But then i found out there are only 2 more episodes. Heh. I can handle mental castration for 2 more hours.

Old Post Sep 21st, 2015 06:42 PM
marwash22 is currently offline Click here to Send marwash22 a Private Message Find more posts by marwash22 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

Originally posted by Ascendancy
No, the film's claim that it spread through the airports, etc, ended up overseas in some cases. That's what I meant. That it wasn't entirely isolated in the UK. It getting out of that facility and the people opening those cages to begin with as well was just nonsense.

I don't remember it leaving England (until that terrible sequel anyway). As I recall an international military blockade quickly prevented the infection from spreading beyond England. With how fast and infectious 28DL zombies were, it's not hard to see how they could overrun a country in a matter of days.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Sep 21st, 2015 09:36 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

Originally posted by Time-Immemorial
So why are they killing non infected?

Its supposed to be that no one has figured out how the INFECTION thing works. But then remember. Every one is already infected. or whatever. But its only been gong on for a few days and I would say its far to early for the military to being Martial Law Apeshit. IMO

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2015 03:21 PM
S_W_LeGenD

My earlier verdict aside, Episode 4 is refreshing. Military is even more dangerous then the zombies. Interesting.

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2015 04:13 PM
S_W_LeGenD is currently offline Click here to Send S_W_LeGenD a Private Message Find more posts by S_W_LeGenD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ascendancy

Originally posted by Omega Vision
I don't remember it leaving England (until that terrible sequel anyway). As I recall an international military blockade quickly prevented the infection from spreading beyond England. With how fast and infectious 28DL zombies were, it's not hard to see how they could overrun a country in a matter of days.

Again, them overrunning England makes plenty of sense, but there was the implication that they also made it onto more than one means of mass transport and had in instances spread elsewhere which just seems ridiculous. World War Z--the horribad film--has exactly that happening and it is farcical.

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2015 06:26 AM