KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » Is "Time" real?

Is "Time" real?
Started by: LLLLLink

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
LLLLLink
The Juror of Courage

Is "Time" real?

What is time? Is it a real force that we all feel the influence of? Is it a mere construct? Just a unit of measurement?
I want to know what the popular opinion is, or perhaps even the truth of the matter.

My opinion as it stand now is that it is merely a unit by which we measure growth, decay and change. Thoughts?

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2015 04:27 PM
LLLLLink is currently offline Click here to Send LLLLLink a Private Message Find more posts by LLLLLink Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Time is every impression there is, it's what makes consciousness limited but allow it to feel free. It's sense.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2015 07:52 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LLLLLink
The Juror of Courage

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Bentley
Time is every impression there is, it's what makes consciousness limited but allow it to feel free. It's sense.

So you say it's perceived? A sense? Hmm, interesting.

Old Post Apr 5th, 2015 12:53 PM
LLLLLink is currently offline Click here to Send LLLLLink a Private Message Find more posts by LLLLLink Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

I think some physicists see time as a construct, that time is actually discontinuous (like "seeing" smooth, continuous motion/change in a movie, when it's really separate, discrete frames whizzing by). Perceptually, we construct continuity (smooth motion and change) because this helps us to better navigate the physical world (or to better understand a movie).

Essentially, it was to our apparent, evolutionary advantage to construct mental maps which enable us to see the forest, not the trees.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Apr 5th, 2015 08:31 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Revanchiste

Re: Is "Time" real?

Originally posted by LLLLLink
What is time? Is it a real force that we all feel the influence of? Is it a mere construct? Just a unit of measurement?
I want to know what the popular opinion is, or perhaps even the truth of the matter.

My opinion as it stand now is that it is merely a unit by which we measure growth, decay and change. Thoughts?

You stole this topic to me.

Time is like butter you can cut it, it will alway possessa thickness.....To me time is continuous there is no frame, there is only a periode of time between two frames.

If there is frame, they are very near 0, or equal to zero units of times and are infinites.

Event occur,but it take time to occur... and possess diiferent issues in different alertnative realties..

Old Post Apr 7th, 2015 03:01 PM
Revanchiste is currently offline Click here to Send Revanchiste a Private Message Find more posts by Revanchiste Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Re: Is "Time" real?

Originally posted by LLLLLink

Time by itself is a construct, but when combined with space, it becomes something real.

Space-time is how you really should see time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spacetime

Old Post Apr 7th, 2015 07:57 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Time Immemorial
Restricted

Account Restricted

I am

Old Post Apr 9th, 2015 05:27 PM
Time Immemorial is currently offline Click here to Send Time Immemorial a Private Message Find more posts by Time Immemorial Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wonderer777

I would say time is experiential - something subjective in the mind of the person who experiences the passage of time. Time does however also exist objectively, but the experience of time is always personal, unless there is also mutual agreement related to a common experience of shared time. It is agreed upon between individual human beings that we are tracking and orientating ourselves in alignment to this objective version of time. So yes time is real because we make it real by taking it seriously. It is not however a 100% illusion - it does pass, it does exist, but we experience individually different versions of time within ourselves as well as co-experience a common, shared version of objective time. If time was entirely an illusion then nothing would ever happen...no events, no movement, nothing. Ultimately everything in existence happens simultaneously..all at once, however down here when we are in human incarnation things are experienced as happening in sequential moments. It is as if our human experience superimposes a construct of time upon the external reality. So time is both real and unreal at the same time :-)

Old Post Apr 10th, 2015 07:45 AM
Wonderer777 is currently offline Click here to Send Wonderer777 a Private Message Find more posts by Wonderer777 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LLLLLink
The Juror of Courage

Originally posted by Wonderer777
I would say time is experiential - something subjective in the mind of the person who experiences the passage of time. Time does however also exist objectively, but the experience of time is always personal, unless there is also mutual agreement related to a common experience of shared time. It is agreed upon between individual human beings that we are tracking and orientating ourselves in alignment to this objective version of time. So yes time is real because we make it real by taking it seriously. It is not however a 100% illusion - it does pass, it does exist, but we experience individually different versions of time within ourselves as well as co-experience a common, shared version of objective time. If time was entirely an illusion then nothing would ever happen...no events, no movement, nothing. Ultimately everything in existence happens simultaneously..all at once, however down here when we are in human incarnation things are experienced as happening in sequential moments. It is as if our human experience superimposes a construct of time upon the external reality. So time is both real and unreal at the same time :-)

I once read a statement that said "Can a dog be late?"
I suppose the answer was 'no', because the dog doesn't care about the time, or the concept of being 'on time'. Your post made me think of that.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2015 03:45 PM
Revanchiste

Re: Re: Is "Time" real?

Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Time by itself is a construct, but when combined with space, it becomes something real.

Space-time is how you really should see time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spacetime

And altenative dimensions... Let's go to the 5D the D of infinite.

We piercieve the time... Like we piercive the light.. But our eyes can only see from 380 to 720 nm.

We can hear sound.... But same thing here.... We cannot know what the time is based on our perceptions !!!

It's like trying to figure it out how U.V or I.R look like...
If I told you :
"Have you ever seen this wonderfull X-ray in your eyes? It is such beauty..."
I bet than your answer wil be :
"Eeeer O.K.. If you say so..."

Time is a part of our world.... Something we can "feel" quantify.... But really not describe... We cannot hear it, neither see it or touch it...
I think than some animal like dog fore example can also "feel" the existance of time without knowing the concept... There is experience about that...

The concept og being inlate is related to the concept of time but that's an other concept... And time is not only a concept that's a real thing... More real than your desk.....

Last edited by Revanchiste on Apr 11th, 2015 at 08:34 PM

Old Post Apr 11th, 2015 08:31 PM
Revanchiste is currently offline Click here to Send Revanchiste a Private Message Find more posts by Revanchiste Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Time Immemorial
Restricted

Account Restricted

Old Post Apr 12th, 2015 05:02 PM
Time Immemorial is currently offline Click here to Send Time Immemorial a Private Message Find more posts by Time Immemorial Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Re: Re: Re: Is "Time" real?

Originally posted by Revanchiste
And altenative dimensions... Let's go to the 5D the D of infinite.

We piercieve the time... Like we piercive the light.. But our eyes can only see from 380 to 720 nm.

We can hear sound.... But same thing here.... We cannot know what the time is based on our perceptions !!!

It's like trying to figure it out how U.V or I.R look like...
If I told you :
"Have you ever seen this wonderfull X-ray in your eyes? It is such beauty..."
I bet than your answer wil be :
"Eeeer O.K.. If you say so..."

Time is a part of our world.... Something we can "feel" quantify.... But really not describe... We cannot hear it, neither see it or touch it...
I think than some animal like dog fore example can also "feel" the existance of time without knowing the concept... There is experience about that...

The concept og being inlate is related to the concept of time but that's an other concept... And time is not only a concept that's a real thing... More real than your desk.....

Hopefully the question of other dimensions will be answered in the next few years. CERN should be able to test for higher dimensions now that it has been refitted.

Old Post Apr 15th, 2015 06:08 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Squirtle

Time is reality, without it, nothing is. Is also entropy flowing.

Old Post Apr 15th, 2015 06:16 PM
Squirtle is currently offline Click here to Send Squirtle a Private Message Find more posts by Squirtle Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Genesis-Soldier
god blessed him with a...

how is tie reality, i see time as a western construct in the sense of measurement and there needing to occur event based, time is based on events in poth a percieved and reacting sense

Old Post Apr 16th, 2015 01:28 PM
Genesis-Soldier is currently offline Click here to Send Genesis-Soldier a Private Message Find more posts by Genesis-Soldier Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

I want everything to be christiany. I'd much rather nothing be an illusion, if, and when I die, pretty sure I'd be heartbroken to find it was all an illusion.

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Old Post Apr 16th, 2015 01:41 PM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Squirtle

Originally posted by Genesis-Soldier
how is tie reality,

Because
Originally posted by Squirtle
without it, nothing is.

Old Post Apr 16th, 2015 01:55 PM
Squirtle is currently offline Click here to Send Squirtle a Private Message Find more posts by Squirtle Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Genesis-Soldier

Originally posted by Squirtle
Because

could you please elaborate how time mixes in with reality?

i consider reality an occurence that can act without the measurement of time, i consider it stages of matter

Old Post Apr 16th, 2015 10:53 PM
Genesis-Soldier is currently offline Click here to Send Genesis-Soldier a Private Message Find more posts by Genesis-Soldier Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
immaturerainbow
Straight V I B I N G

I see it to be used for organization. Really? There isn't time, it's just something we used to organize things.

Old Post Apr 17th, 2015 01:37 AM
immaturerainbow is currently offline Click here to Send immaturerainbow a Private Message Find more posts by immaturerainbow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Genesis-Soldier

exactly, its event based

Old Post Apr 17th, 2015 01:39 AM
Squirtle

could you please elaborate how time mixes in with reality?

There can't be anything without time http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minkowski_space , time "makes" reality due to entropy (the thermo dynamic arrow of time).

i consider reality an occurence that can act without the measurement of time, i consider it stages of matter [/B]

The experience of time is relative
The measurement of it is a human convention
Measure of time =/= nature of time. Two different things.

This reading is pretty interesting http://physicsworld.com/cws/article...-nature-of-time

This theory is also pretty cool: http://www.wired.com/2010/02/what-is-time/ (even in the "mother" universe, time makes fluctuations possible).

Last edited by Squirtle on Apr 17th, 2015 at 03:13 AM

Old Post Apr 17th, 2015 03:07 AM