KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Battlezone » KMC Secret Wars: Leo vs Existere

KMC Secret Wars: Leo vs Existere
Started by: Blair Wind

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Blair Wind
The Iron Avenger

Omega's Vote

Here's my ruling:

I’ll break down some of the key points of contention and where I stand on them:
For Leo:

The opaque bubble: I had a lot of trouble with this. I could buy that it would work, and that it would do most of the things he claimed it would, but I also agree with Smurph that it would probably hinder his character as much as help. I also wasn’t sure how he would switch between using the bubble and offense. Assuming the rebound spell doesn’t work, this becomes a stalemate unless Leo drops his shield, in which case the fight would seem to favor Smurph, UNLESS we take Leo at his word that the attacks could get through the shield, because magic.

For Smurph:

Dr. Light: I think he exaggerated Dr. Light’s abilities and interpreted him only from his highest of showings. I don’t think for a second that Smurph actually believes that Dr. Light is some kind of peer to Superman in terms of combat speed or offensive power. The same scan that shows him taking out Superman ridiculously suggests that Superman is sublight, despite all the evidence that shows that Superman can be much faster than the speed of light. I also wasn’t buying that Dr. Light could use all of his powers at once when there was no evidence presented that he could or would. Ninja instincts don’t compensate for that.

Overall, this was a very close match, and I’m afraid I’m not knowledgable at all about ANY of the characters being discussed (except perhaps Dr. Light), but I think while Leo did a good job of backing his amalgam, Smurph was on the offensive the entire time, and while his claims about Dr. Light go bit overboard, his plan was less complicated and his amalgam had a smaller margin of error than Leo’s, and so I see Smurph taking it 6-7/10 against Leo’s team.

>010010100100000101010010010101100100100101010011<

Last edited by Blair Wind on May 19th, 2015 at 05:15 AM

Old Post May 19th, 2015 05:12 AM
Blair Wind is currently offline Click here to Send Blair Wind a Private Message Find more posts by Blair Wind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blair Wind
The Iron Avenger

Bentley's Vote

Three categories to consider, which is my schtick.

Debating: Good debates from both of you, specially in the first part that really went back and forth with arguments and interrogations. As leo rightfully pointed in his own post, some questions were left in the air by Smurph in the end, which I might be related with the several delays on the debate itself... Either way, even without that, I think leo was more through with the debate, arguing even points that in my opinion were moot in the contention.

Leo 1 - Smurph 0.

Strategy: Smurph did something that usually pays off in difficult matches, which is to choose a reliable strategy. The plan was good, but I have grips with how passive the end result was, given the offensive capacity that his amalgam has. Also there is the fact that Leo came up with a definite plan to counter Lightlocke, it was tailor made for the match and seemed feasible. Kudos for leo to actually use a weakness of Nova to his advantage, it certainly gave him the inevitability that his plan sorely lacked without it (magic would be a dealbreaker if the initial assault failed).

So yes, this is kind of settled in my mind already, I was more convinced ot leo's strategy when entering the match, particularly since entering the fight tangible would hinder Light's defenses from the get to go. It was a risky gamble that in my mind didn't quite pay off.

Outcome of the battle.

As I said, Leo had inevitability, but could he actually get to the late game against Smurph? This is probaly the point that was more in contention among those we argued so far. Rebound might or might not work as advertised, but the shield could. Leo will see Lightlocke, because he never depended on light to locate them, and Nova certainly has the experience to fight in the blind with just periferical radars... It would be a match, this wasn't as loopsided as I expected it from the get to go.

I wish Smurph went for a more hit & run tactics using his superior speed as his main defense, but I feel that the CIS rule would rule that out, so it might've been the better choice to decide everything with a surgical strike.

About split in this category, could probably go to Leo also, but I admit there were enough alternatives to keep it debatable.

Leo 3 - 1 Smurph.

I give my vote to leonidas

Good job both of you, as always, it's a pleasure to read your debates. Aside: Is this the second time I rule against Doctor Light? I'm getting a dreaded sense of deja vu here? confused

Old Post May 19th, 2015 05:14 AM
Blair Wind is currently offline Click here to Send Blair Wind a Private Message Find more posts by Blair Wind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blair Wind
The Iron Avenger

Badabing's Vote

I've read the match twice and made some notes for my vote. It's difficult voting a match when 2 knowledgeable people are debating.

Prep-I found both prep posts to be stretching the 3 seconds a bit. So I just went with both as if all prep happened.

Opaque, invisible, shields, altered wavelengths, tracking, holograms, etc. I gave both of you the benefit in your prep and battle plans. Some stretches and hyperbole on both sides, but there was nothing from the follow up critiques to compel me to disregard any of the strategies or feats.

For me this came down to whether Leo's defenses would hold long enough for his amalgam to track Smurph's amalgam and find a way to put him down. I believe that Leo wouldn't be able to instantly track Smurph. Smurph's plan was very solid from the beginning and would have put most other amalgams away fairly quickly.

But I was shown enough evidence that Smurph could be tracked. I think that Leo's defenses would hold until he found a way to register a win. I just didn't see Smurph getting through Leo's defenses quick enough to score a win. Leo picked the best (maybe only) prep option that would have worked against Smurph.

My vote goes to Leo in a very close match. Very good job to both Smurph and Leo.

Old Post May 19th, 2015 05:16 AM
Blair Wind
The Iron Avenger

BLAIR WIND'S JUDGEMENT

Leonidas wins with a 3-1 vote. Congratulations on another win and quite possibly a record for longest championship tournament match! (Digi conceding not counting).

Old Post May 19th, 2015 05:17 AM
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

sweet! big grin thanks for the assist bw, and thanks again. i was really excited at the idea of this 4 man event and i like to think it didn't disappoint. there were some really good, really close match ups in this, and i think i got by by the skin of my teeth in both my matches. despite the odd delay here and there, i'm glad this worked out and with summer rolling in, hope to do this again soon. and bw, this time i'm passing your invite along right now! maybe delph too? will discuss.

thanks again to the judges and my buds for taking part and making this work. thumb up

excelsior!

Old Post May 19th, 2015 11:16 AM
leonidas is currently offline Click here to Send leonidas a Private Message Find more posts by leonidas Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Congrats and well fought to both.

Old Post May 19th, 2015 01:53 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
"Id"
The Man of Tomorrow

So are you going to challange mindset for the unified title?

Old Post May 19th, 2015 04:25 PM
"Id" is currently offline Click here to Send "Id" a Private Message Find more posts by "Id" Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scoobless
sselboocS

quote: (post)
Originally posted by "Id"

Those other guys all drafted above the low herald cap, it wouldn't mesh well.

Do you even KMC???

Old Post May 19th, 2015 05:01 PM
Scoobless is currently offline Click here to Send Scoobless a Private Message Find more posts by Scoobless Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

me, challenge mindset?? what, i gotta deathwish or something...?

Old Post May 19th, 2015 06:11 PM
leonidas is currently offline Click here to Send leonidas a Private Message Find more posts by leonidas Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
"Id"
The Man of Tomorrow

Both of yous have solid picks.

And you know damn well that Nova Prime has no buisness in the low herald league. Thats a vicious pick.

Your odds are solid.

Old Post May 19th, 2015 10:00 PM
"Id" is currently offline Click here to Send "Id" a Private Message Find more posts by "Id" Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blair Wind
The Iron Avenger

Id, you don't get to be the champ and then challenge someone else. I mean, that would take some guts to do.

Don't worry Leo, I understand if you don't want to sully your new record with a L by Mindset.

smile

Old Post May 19th, 2015 10:09 PM
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

sigh.....you both mean MARTIAN MIND.

and sure, i'd challenge martian--definitely before MINDSET. no expression

doubt he'd be up for it. he's not on that often but whatever, i'd def be game.

Old Post May 19th, 2015 10:23 PM
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

Congratulations to both of you.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post May 19th, 2015 11:44 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
"Id"
The Man of Tomorrow

I meant to say Martian Mind. My bad?

Thats a yes? Sweet.

Old Post May 19th, 2015 11:58 PM
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

lol yeah, your bad. NO one wants to be confused with mindset.

and like i said, if mm wants to have a bz, sure, i'd do it. haven't seen him on recently though, but i've thought he seemed cool and i like his style. pretty sure he's been in a couple of tourneys i've been in in the past....

Old Post May 20th, 2015 12:31 AM
Scoobless
sselboocS

you know damn well that Nova Prime has no buisness in the low herald league.

Yeah, been so long since I had to think about it that I forgot Leo was illegally drafting from a higher weight class.

smile

Do you even KMC???

Old Post May 20th, 2015 12:33 AM
Scoobless is currently offline Click here to Send Scoobless a Private Message Find more posts by Scoobless Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

yeah, if only you'd all have had foreknowledge, ample warning and an invitation to reject the pick. oh, wait. no expression

and btw, i absolutely think nova can be seen to fit the low herald. he's been beaten by some of the mid herald guys already, and isn't even the most powerful low herald, imo. he's a high-end low herald who could fit in with the lower end mids, but loads of guys can say that. the tier is full of potential and an ability to overlap tiers. which is one of the reasons i chose it.

but i digress.

Old Post May 20th, 2015 12:41 AM
Scoobless
sselboocS

Whatevs, I had a foolproof plan to kickyoass.... but I was robbed.

Also, woulda taken a fifth of the time to finish this if I'da got the chance.

stick out tongue

Do you even KMC???

Old Post May 20th, 2015 02:39 AM
Bentley
Seitei

Mindset is totally a Martian Manhunter fan.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post May 20th, 2015 04:58 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophía
"The devil made me do it"

Leo seems to really enjoy fighting Dr. Light.

“Perhaps this is the ultimate freedom. The freedom to leave.”

Old Post May 20th, 2015 08:46 PM
Philosophía is currently offline Click here to Send Philosophía a Private Message Find more posts by Philosophía Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote