KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » What are you currently playing?

What are you currently playing?
Started by: Surtur

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (214): « First ... « 114 115 [116] 117 118 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
NewGuy01
perpetual

Got to the end of the Pantheon of the Knight. It only took a couple tries; not sure if that's because it's legitimately much easier than the Pantheon of the Sage, or if I just got lucky. Didn't beat the Pure Vessel at the end, but fighting him unlocked him in the Hall of Gods. Which was the only reason I was doing these pantheons anyways, so I'm satisfied with that.

I'm having fun fighting him. He's very similar to NKG. Main difference so far seems to be where his attack windows are... I think I'm going to need a nail-heavy charm setup for PV, whereas spells were the way to go with Grimm.

Old Post Jul 31st, 2020 05:13 AM
NewGuy01 is currently offline Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

And he's down. Fantastic boss.

Old Post Jul 31st, 2020 06:04 AM
NewGuy01 is currently offline Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Trocity
I remember that game. That was a weird one. It had all the elements to be a great JRPG and yet somehow it is completely forgettable.

I haven't played it in a long time but I remember being excited for it when I bought it, and then it was just kinda..... meh. It just never really all came together well for me.

I think the characters being bland/boring was a major part of it from what I remember.

Those were my thoughts as well. It wasn't bad per se, but it fell short of its potential. It could have turned into one of the greats tbh.

As of now, Persona is doing the things we'd want in a modern JRPG.
Originally posted by cdtm

I will say the dream sequence "unlocked memories" text stories of your immortal protagonists thousand years of life you pick up are excellent, and by themselves make this worth experiencing.

I feel like you'll either love that part or hate that part. I hated it. Not to sound like "don't make me read!", but this is a different medium from a novel. I'd rather see those emotional arcs and character moments incorporated into the main storyline and gameplay, than having to stop to read a bunch of side stories. Considering the game's premise, I thought I'd be bawling my eyes out, but never really felt much for the characters at all.

I'll use spoiler tags since you're playing it, but [SPOILER - highlight to read]: You're playing a married couple traveling with their grandkids from their presumably dead daughter and their friends....and they've all had their memories of each other erased . I should have felt sad, but they never really made me feel anything.

It's been a long time since I played it, but that is what I remember of my experience.

Last edited by StyleTime on Jul 31st, 2020 at 04:49 PM

Old Post Jul 31st, 2020 04:37 PM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Maybe Persona 4 did. Persona 5 looks to me like they turned into anorher western RPG clone mechanics wise, like throwing out the pre rendered limited camera views in favor of an over the shoulder third person camera.

That's one of the things I don't like about FF7 remake, it in no way resembles a classic JRPG.

There are still those of us who like that old school style.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Jul 31st, 2020 08:05 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

I'm past disk 1, starting to warm up to the characters.

It has a really old school feel to it. Almost like Final Fantasy 8, look and feel wise.

The main character is practically a carbon copy of Squall, character wise. Mercenary in perpetual anger with intimacy issues.

Then again, Squall sort of copied off Cloud.

I like the skill system. Has tones of Hollow Knights perk system, wouldn't surprise me if this game inspired that.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Aug 1st, 2020 03:45 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

20xx.

Not bad at all.

Old Post Aug 1st, 2020 06:13 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Arkham City - Easily one of the best games of the laat generation, but man, Alfred and Babs come across really terribly at times. They even flat out disobey Batman at one point.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2020 06:28 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Maybe Persona 4 did. Persona 5 looks to me like they turned into anorher western RPG clone mechanics wise, like throwing out the pre rendered limited camera views in favor of an over the shoulder third person camera.

That's one of the things I don't like about FF7 remake, it in no way resembles a classic JRPG.

Lmao

Persona 5 is nothing like any western RPG.

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2020 07:24 AM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

The first/third person camera view are. Compare Final Fantasy 7 to the remake, one is designed like a jrpg, one is not.

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2020 01:52 PM
StyleTime

It takes more than sharing camera perspectives to make something a clone. Persona 5 is still straight up turn based mechanically.

To me, FF7 is simply FF7 fully realized. They've been going the hybrid battle route for several games now, and I dig it. Basic physical attacks and dodging don't use a "turn", and quick menus are a more engaging way of employing menu based combat. You're in a fight, and fights aren't static. This captures that while still keeping the strategy involved in party play. Additionally, you can use classic mode if you only care about the ability management aspects of combat. It will play more like FFXII AND XIII.

Many of the "classic" tropes of games exist because of technological limitations. Games couldn't have gigantic campaigns and still squeeze in elaborate mechanics and cameras. Random encounters are outdated at this point too. We can physically have enemies present on the screen without processing issues.

It's partially why I eye-roll at the "classic Resident Evil" only crowd. I love the original games too, but do folks really want to go back to loading animations for stairs and ladders? Tank controls? Fixed cameras? That stuff was there out of necessity. We've got the tech to make far more immersive experiences now, so most of that will be left behind. Rightfully so.

I do wish more of these young whipper snappers would give thanks to Parasite Eve though. Our girl Aya was doing the hybrid rpg battle way back then. It's definitely a series that would benefit from a modern remake, or a new installation.

Last edited by StyleTime on Aug 2nd, 2020 at 03:43 PM

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2020 03:29 PM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

So there's two dlc characters for 20XX, 2.99 each. Console gamers get them for free.

What's up with that? This is the second tiime I've seen this, the first being with shmup Jamestown and four extra ships we had to buy, and they got for free.

Kind of a slap in the face to PC gamers to charge us for dlc, then give it away when they port it, no? I mean, we PC gamers usually make those ports possible, as success with us is the first step. So why neglect us over the console kiddies?

Granted, I got 20XX for free off Epic, but that's not the point.

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2020 05:32 PM
Prof.Hexavier

cod warzone

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2020 07:50 PM
Prof.Hexavier is currently offline Click here to Send Prof.Hexavier a Private Message Find more posts by Prof.Hexavier Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

Definitely not proceeding with the Pantheon of Hallownest. I don't want to fight Absrad or Winged Nosk badly enough to put myself through that.

I did go in just far enough to unlock Sisters of Battle, though, and it's probably my favorite boss fight in the entire game right now. It's not really that difficult, but gameplay footage just does not do justice to how fast and chaotic it is; pulling off the dodges feels so damn satisfying.

Old Post Aug 3rd, 2020 03:22 AM
Adam Grimes
Devil On Your Shoulder

Dying Light Enhanced Edition with friends and Marvel's Spider-Man.

Not today, not tomorrow...

Old Post Aug 3rd, 2020 01:33 PM
Adam Grimes is currently offline Click here to Send Adam Grimes a Private Message Find more posts by Adam Grimes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam Grimes
Devil On Your Shoulder

Originally posted by NewGuy01
Definitely not proceeding with the Pantheon of Hallownest. I don't want to fight Absrad or Winged Nosk badly enough to put myself through that.

I did go in just far enough to unlock Sisters of Battle, though, and it's probably my favorite boss fight in the entire game right now. It's not really that difficult, but gameplay footage just does not do justice to how fast and chaotic it is; pulling off the dodges feels so damn satisfying.
I still have to beat the fifth pantheon too lol.

Not today, not tomorrow...

Old Post Aug 3rd, 2020 01:38 PM
Adam Grimes is currently offline Click here to Send Adam Grimes a Private Message Find more posts by Adam Grimes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

I like 20XX a lot, but it doesn't hook me the same way Hollow Knight does.

Don't know why, it just feels tedious repeating failed runs, while I can retread tough boss fights in HK without getting worn out.

Old Post Aug 4th, 2020 05:26 PM
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Shovel Knight is a better Megaman game.

Old Post Aug 4th, 2020 08:37 PM
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

The original Phantasy Star.

How did people play these games? Getting lost in a dungon isn't my idea of fun. Nor is pulling out graph paper and drawing a map.

Old Post Aug 25th, 2020 05:05 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

The original Phantasy Star.

How did people play these games? Getting lost in a dungon isn't my idea of fun. Nor is pulling out graph paper and drawing a map.

It was probably fun then, it was all they had and people had to make do.

Old Post Aug 26th, 2020 06:15 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

I was playing Lemonade Stand and Oregon Trail. thumb up

Plenty of good games were around before Phantasy Star, it's the maze dungeon crawlers I could never get into. Never even wanted to play Dungeon Master.

At least Hollow Knight isn't all that hard to navigate without the compass.

Old Post Aug 26th, 2020 08:11 PM