KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » What are you currently playing?

What are you currently playing?
Started by: Surtur

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (214): « First ... « 166 167 [168] 169 170 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Jmanghan
I've heard horrific things about D&D Dark Alliance, good luck brother.

Just watch Angry Joe's review on D&D Dark Alliance.

Old Post Sep 14th, 2021 01:38 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

Originally posted by NemeBro
It's okay but the world isn't interesting enough to provide context to your actions and bluntly the game is more stat-checky than maybe any Soulslike I've played.

Hollow Knight is the best Soulslike. Other good ones include Salt and Sanctuary, Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order, Remnant from the Ashes, Unworthy, Blasphemous, and Code Vein.

I also disliked Nioh's magic system. I usually play spellcasters in my Souls titles, and it's annoying how few Soulslikes actually make genuine attempts at magic. I'm sure magic can be difficult for a developer, but Salt and Sanctuary and Code Vein pull off magic very well.

As Souls clones, I'd actually put them above Hollow Knight personally, simply for being more pure in their clone-ness.

Code Vein is particularly funny, because everything about it is cringe anime, yet it's so goddamn fun to play. It legitimately might be the best 3D Soulslike ever. Salt and Sanctuary is probably the best 2D one. Opinions vary though.

I haven't played Remnant or Hellpoint yet though.

Last edited by StyleTime on Sep 16th, 2021 at 06:03 PM

Old Post Sep 16th, 2021 05:52 PM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

I have Hellpoint sitting in my GoG library on a giveaway, haven't actually tried it yet because reviews claim the boss fights are pretty disappointing.

It does look like an interesting setting though.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Sep 16th, 2021 05:59 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Speed Brawl!

May replace SoR4 as my goto brawler.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Sep 16th, 2021 06:50 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

Originally posted by cdtm
Nemebro, did you trigger any interesting bugs in your plays?

I got a strange one where if you send Hollow Knight into phase two while he's in mid air, he drops to the ground like a stone and his polarity seems to be reversed. Like he'll slide along the ground, and his animations are all screwed up like a doll with his strings cut.

Was a freaky experience.

Oh yeah? Well I had the bug where one of the ****ing Stag Stations didn't work. I can't remember which one it was, but even after I unlocked it, it would never show up on the actual Station selection map. The Stag would respond to the bell, but I couldn't actually ride to the place. It appears to have been fixed after I beat the game, but it ****ing sucked. I played the PSNow version and purchased it afterwards, so maybe it was something with PSNow.

Either it way sucked having to walk. The map is large is enough that I would kinda groan when I needed to go to that area.
I have Hellpoint sitting in my GoG library on a giveaway, haven't actually tried it yet because reviews claim the boss fights are pretty disappointing.

It does look like an interesting setting though.

Yeah, and I give them bonus points for actually incorporating spellcasting into it as a playstyle. From what I've seen anyway.

Last edited by StyleTime on Sep 16th, 2021 at 07:13 PM

Old Post Sep 16th, 2021 07:02 PM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

Originally posted by NewGuy01
It's closer to Dark Souls than to Nioh, but it's not really that similar to either. If you've played GOW 2018, it's more like that.

Yeah, I'm seeing the Soulslike term get applied to everything these days.

I haven't played Fallen Order, so I can't speak on it. But it does seem like people see a video game with someone swinging a sword and immediately call it a Soulslike.

Metroidvania is suffering from a similar phenomenon. A game makes you backtrack one time to unlock a door and folks immediately scream Metroidvania.

Last edited by StyleTime on Sep 16th, 2021 at 07:23 PM

Old Post Sep 16th, 2021 07:16 PM
cdtm

I really hope Nioh's first level isn't typical level design. Spent upwards of an hour getting lost up and down samey looking rooms and staircases, until I stumbled onto a way out by dumb luck.

Old Post Sep 16th, 2021 08:34 PM
StyleTime

Wait until you get to the ninja fortress place.

It's supposed to be a trick-room, hall of mirrors style level, but it's just obnoxious and not fun whatsoever. I guess some folks like it, but getting lost in madhouse stages isn't really my thing.

Last edited by StyleTime on Sep 16th, 2021 at 10:07 PM

Old Post Sep 16th, 2021 10:01 PM
cdtm

Originally posted by StyleTime

It's supposed to be a trick-room, hall of mirrors style level, but it's just obnoxious and not fun whatsoever. I guess some folks like it, but getting lost in madhouse stages isn't really my thing.

Nor mine.

My least favorite thing about acclaimed Ninja Gaiden Black were the moments when you were just trying to figure out where the heck to go next. Getting lost isn't fun, it's frustrating, we have GPS for a reason.

Oddly this was never a problem in Hollow Knight. Probably because it was so packed full of secrets you couldn't go two screens without stumbling over something awesome. Plus the maps themselves were so well made getting lost wasn't much of an issue.

Old Post Sep 16th, 2021 10:37 PM
NemeBro

I also disliked Nioh's magic system. I usually play spellcasters in my Souls titles, and it's annoying how few Soulslikes actually make genuine attempts at magic. I'm sure magic can be difficult for a developer, but Salt and Sanctuary and Code Vein pull off magic very well.

As Souls clones, I'd actually put them above Hollow Knight personally, simply for being more pure in their clone-ness.

Code Vein is particularly funny, because everything about it is cringe anime, yet it's so goddamn fun to play. It legitimately might be the best 3D Soulslike ever. Salt and Sanctuary is probably the best 2D one. Opinions vary though.

I haven't played Remnant or Hellpoint yet though.
Hollow Knight diverging from the blueprint so much is what makes it the best Soulslike tbh.

Code Vein has pretty good gameplay and a fantastic class system, but where it falters is level design. The cathedral level in particular is one of the worst I've ever played.

As for Fallen Order, it's Sekiro for babies. Still pretty good though.

Remnant is great.

Old Post Sep 17th, 2021 04:51 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

I remember frequently getting lost during levels that took place at Itsukushima Shrine. The water-place with the giant slime boss.

Old Post Sep 17th, 2021 05:28 AM
NewGuy01 is currently offline Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

I liked the first boss.

Did the tutorial. Was that even an option before? Because it seems like it should have been an option, so you knew targeting at least (Most early deaths were simply by missing the enemy and getting countered.)

Actually went back to the tutorial to quit my game and think on choosing a spirit. I like the fire fox better as a concept, but it only offers "strength", and those tend to be a less useful stat in Souls clones. I bet the shark is the one I want, spirit skill boost.

Fox is cooler though.

Old Post Sep 17th, 2021 01:13 PM
cdtm

Decided. Gonna get the fire fox.

And I guess an Axe and maybe the twin swords for crowds, I was using mostly axes in the opening level anyways, great armor breakers.

Old Post Sep 18th, 2021 05:46 PM
StyleTime

Originally posted by NemeBro
Hollow Knight diverging from the blueprint so much is what makes it the best Soulslike tbh.

Code Vein has pretty good gameplay and a fantastic class system, but where it falters is level design. The cathedral level in particular is one of the worst I've ever played.

As for Fallen Order, it's Sekiro for babies. Still pretty good though.

Remnant is great.

I suppose it depends on where you draw the line. In my view, it was never following the Soulslike blueprint. The creators actually talked about this -- you have newer generations that, for them, Dark Souls was their first encounter with certain tropes because they never played the games that inspired it. "Dark Souls" becomes the new word to reference tropes that actually predate the game itself. Hollow Knight is a Metroidvania, nearly from top to bottom. It uses elements from Dark Souls, as well as Zelda II, Paper Mario, Mario, Mega Man, etc, but those are like cherries on top of the Metroidvania sundae. Salt and Sanctuary feels like the reverse, where it's a Soulslike with Metroidvania bits sprinkled on top.

Absolutely. The Cathedral was trash, specifically the 2nd half. And judging by the trophy stats for completing the level, about 50% of players (PS4) quit playing at that point. It was near Ocarina of Time Water Temple levels of obnoxious.

Fortunately, the rest of the game isn't like that. All we need in a souls clone is some serviceable level design that lets us scratch our Dark Souls itch in between titles.

It's part of why I don't like clones re-inventing the wheel, or getting too fancy. It's okay to be a clone. Just own the clone-ness and your own unique flavor will come out naturally anyway.

Last edited by StyleTime on Sep 18th, 2021 at 09:22 PM

Old Post Sep 18th, 2021 09:08 PM
StyleTime

I do think Hollow Knight is the more enthralling game, and to be fair, it fuses several different genre tropes, but I just don't rate it as a Soulslike. I know that's a hot take for much of the gaming world, and it's totally fine if they disagree. Just saying how I see it.

It's similar to Dead Cells. I'm not totally comfortable calling it a true Soulslike either. Of course, it doesn't really matter at the end of the day, but it's fun to nerd out about it sometimes.
Nor mine.

My least favorite thing about acclaimed Ninja Gaiden Black were the moments when you were just trying to figure out where the heck to go next. Getting lost isn't fun, it's frustrating, we have GPS for a reason.

Oddly this was never a problem in Hollow Knight. Probably because it was so packed full of secrets you couldn't go two screens without stumbling over something awesome. Plus the maps themselves were so well made getting lost wasn't much of an issue.

I also think Hollow Knight never set out to deliberately confuse the player like some games do. The emphasis was more on exploration than it was on navigating an arcane geographical puzzle.
Originally posted by NewGuy01
I remember frequently getting lost during levels that took place at Itsukushima Shrine. The water-place with the giant slime boss.

There were definitely times I busted out a video guide because I didn't want to wander around in circles.

Last edited by StyleTime on Sep 19th, 2021 at 12:20 AM

Old Post Sep 19th, 2021 12:12 AM
cdtm

I suppose it depends on where you draw the line. In my view, it was never following the Soulslike blueprint. The creators actually talked about this -- you have newer generations that, for them, Dark Souls was their first encounter with certain tropes because they never played the games that inspired it. "Dark Souls" becomes the new word to reference tropes that actually predate the game itself. Hollow Knight is a Metroidvania, nearly from top to bottom. It uses elements from Dark Souls, as well as Zelda II, Paper Mario, Mario, Mega Man, etc, but those are like cherries on top of the Metroidvania sundae. Salt and Sanctuary feels like the reverse, where it's a Soulslike with Metroidvania bits sprinkled on top.

Absolutely. The Cathedral was trash, specifically the 2nd half. And judging by the trophy stats for completing the level, about 50% of players (PS4) quit playing at that point. It was near Ocarina of Time Water Temple levels of obnoxious.

Fortunately, the rest of the game isn't like that. All we need in a souls clone is some serviceable level design that lets us scratch our Dark Souls itch in between titles.

It's part of why I don't like clones re-inventing the wheel, or getting too fancy. It's okay to be a clone. Just own the clone-ness and your own unique flavor will come out naturally anyway.

How is classic Zelda much different from a Metroidvania? Both have a heavy emphesis on exploration, both tend to have gear based keys to open new areas.

I actually have more of a Zelda feel to Hollow Knight than I do Metroid, based purely on the whimsical and enchanting look and feel of the environment and characters, and the melody all coming together like a work of art.

Old Post Sep 19th, 2021 12:20 AM
Adam Grimes
Devil On Your Shoulder

Control Complete Edition. Love it.

Not today, not tomorrow...

Old Post Sep 19th, 2021 04:00 AM
Adam Grimes is currently offline Click here to Send Adam Grimes a Private Message Find more posts by Adam Grimes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Still Dark Souls 1, just killed the 4 kings. Died a few times to them until i decided to put on Havel's Set and had no problem killing them.

Old Post Sep 21st, 2021 12:01 PM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

I'll leave this here for after your ban expires I guess.
How is classic Zelda much different from a Metroidvania? Both have a heavy emphesis on exploration, both tend to have gear based keys to open new areas.

I actually have more of a Zelda feel to Hollow Knight than I do Metroid, based purely on the whimsical and enchanting look and feel of the environment and characters, and the melody all coming together like a work of art.

Honestly, good question. Genres are admittedly not a hard science. People have argued classic Zelda and Metroid should be grouped together. I think, as far as exploration is concerned, they do differ on some points though. Even back then, Zelda was always a bit more open world. Metroidvania's are, simply speaking, one really large dungeon. There is no Overworld populated with separate cities or stages you enter. There are exceptions: Shantae: 1/2 Genie Hero straddles the line a bit, and earlier Shantae games even have pseudo-Overworlds that link the cities together.

And progress in a Metroidvania isn't necessarily linear. Progress often, in fact, means going back to an earlier area to open new zones within that area. In Zelda, progress usually meant moving beyond earlier areas without ever needing to return to them.

That said, don't forget Metroid isn't the sole creator of tropes in the genre. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night was inspired by Zelda, and SOTN is the one that introduced RPG mechanics into the genre. Some folks like separating the Metroid from the Vania, as Metroid doesn't really do RPG stuff. The combat is also a bit different.

For modern examples, Axiom Verge follows Metroid. Bloodstained follows Castlevania.

Edit: I didn't mean to understate Zelda's influence on Hollow Knight. The creators are pretty open about it. Iirc, even the nail being the Knight's main form of offense was supposed to have been based on Link. It just be the 2D aspects that makes people associate it with Metroid. If you change the viewpoint, it would seem pretty Zelda-y.

Last edited by StyleTime on Sep 21st, 2021 at 07:58 PM

Old Post Sep 21st, 2021 07:44 PM
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Ha....suck shit for trolling cdtm

and its his 2nd ban. Doubt that he's gonna learn.

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2021 02:19 AM