KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » Darth Malgus vs. Count Dooku

Darth Malgus vs. Count Dooku
Started by: carthage

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
SunRazer
Back From The Dead

Dooku pressing Yoda with Lightning and then Deflecting his own Lightning when Yoda sent it back at him could very well match Malgus's feat of wrecking the Jedi in Deceived.

Though the feat where Malgus staggers the Strike Team with Lightning in TOR is definitely not something Dooku has replicated.

Old Post May 20th, 2015 10:39 AM
Click here to Send SunRazer a Private Message Find more posts by SunRazer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sinious
Yo Da Best

@Arhael,

Why is it not his style to toss around opponents? He ragdolled 2 Jedi I know. He is very direct with his force attacks and "unpredictable" is not a word I would use for him.

On the other hand, Malgus definitely has a more unorthodox usage of the force. Where Dooku is a classic TK/lightning sith, Malgus has additional force attacks like maelstrom and scream.

And while Dooku is clearly the superior duelist, I doubt it will give him the victory since Malgus is good enough to hold his ground and even use Dooku's disadvantage of lacking against duelists with great strength to push him back.

Old Post May 20th, 2015 10:41 AM
Click here to Send Sinious a Private Message Find more posts by Sinious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SunRazer
Back From The Dead

He's ragdolled Ventress as well. He makes pretty liberal usage of the Force.

Dooku's disadvantage versus strength is overblown. It taxes his reserves, not drastically undermines his dueling technique.

Old Post May 20th, 2015 10:45 AM
Click here to Send SunRazer a Private Message Find more posts by SunRazer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sinious
Yo Da Best

I didn't say it gives Malgus the victory but it would make it harder for Dooku to make up for his inferiority in the force.

Old Post May 20th, 2015 10:46 AM
Click here to Send Sinious a Private Message Find more posts by Sinious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SunRazer
Back From The Dead

I didn't say anything about you claiming it gave Malgus the victory.

His inferiority in the Force isn't too great - he's also faster and more skilled, which is generally the most important of all edges.

Old Post May 20th, 2015 10:48 AM
Sinious
Yo Da Best

You're basically saying that dueling is more important than the force which is something I disagree with tbh.

I don't take Dooku's fight with Yoda seriously and other than that, he hasn't done anything to put him above Malgus.

"That is why you fail."

Old Post May 20th, 2015 10:51 AM
SunRazer
Back From The Dead

1. It is in most scenarios, particularly if the fighters tend to duel. Malgus does sometimes abuse the Force, so it could be particularly disruptive for Tyranus's fighting style, but probably not utterly game-changing. Could it be game-changing alongside his strength edge? Possibly - that's what should be argued.

2. In terms of Force? I agree. But Tyranus has a pretty noticeable skill edge, and Dooku's fight with Yoda is to be taken seriously regarding some of its elements.

Old Post May 20th, 2015 10:54 AM
Sinious
Yo Da Best

quote: (post)
Originally posted by SunRazer
1. It is in most scenarios, particularly if the fighters tend to duel. Malgus does sometimes abuse the Force, so it could be particularly disruptive for Tyranus's fighting style, but probably not utterly game-changing.

It depends. In Malgus' era, jedi/sith focused more on power than skill where in Dooku's era it is the opposite.

quote:
Could it be game-changing alongside his strength edge? Possibly - that's what should be argued.

That was my argument in the first place.

quote:
2. In terms of Force? I agree. But Tyranus has a pretty noticeable skill edge, and Dooku's fight with Yoda is to be taken seriously regarding some of its elements.

Yoda managed to disarm Sidious, who utterly humiliated Maul and Savage at the same time. Sidious would have an easier time with Dooku so I don't see how Yoda couldn't trash him given his other feats.

Old Post May 20th, 2015 11:00 AM
SunRazer
Back From The Dead

1. There were blademasters in Malgus's era too.

2. I know. I'm saying it's debatable.

3. In some sources, Sidious fights Yoda to a draw - just as Sidious matches Yoda in the Force in some sources, but flat-out overpowers him in others.

Old Post May 20th, 2015 11:03 AM
EmperorSidious2
Master of Magic

Originally posted by carthage
How is he more unpredictable? Do you think Dooku can toss around haracters like Wrath/Nox/Hero/and Barsenthor? Or

He sure can defeat advanced swordsman with ease. Coughsorabulqcoughasajjventresscoughanakinskywalke
r cough.

Yoda never took out multiple sith or Jedi at one time yet he is way better than Malgus.

Old Post May 20th, 2015 11:05 AM
Click here to Send EmperorSidious2 a Private Message Find more posts by EmperorSidious2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sinious
Yo Da Best

1. That doesn't contradict with what I said.

2. I don't deny its a close fight so I'll respect it if you disagree with it.

3. So? They're clearly on the same tier as duelists which is enough to support my claim.

Old Post May 20th, 2015 11:07 AM
SunRazer
Back From The Dead

1. There were some who focused on power, others on combat skill.

2. Fair enough.

3. To be fair, Dooku and Yoda know each other and their fighting styles quite well, but a number of sources do suggest Yoda was holding back.

Old Post May 20th, 2015 11:08 AM
AncientPower
The Chosen One

Originally posted by Sinious
Round 1: Dooku
Round 2: Malgus
Round 3: Malgus

Within your furnace heart, you burn in your own flame. This is how it feels to be Anakin Skywalker.

Old Post May 20th, 2015 11:13 AM
Click here to Send AncientPower a Private Message Find more posts by AncientPower Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arhael
Devoid of reality

@Arhael,
Why is it not his style to toss around opponents? He ragdolled 2 Jedi I know. He is very direct with his force attacks and "unpredictable" is not a word I would use for him.

In RotS Dooku's Force push and choke were unpredictable enough for Kenobi to even attempt to block it. Kenobi demonstrated that, when ready, he can put up a block even against Anakin's TK. Of course there are cases, where Dooku used Force attacks without an element of surprise too.

Old Post May 20th, 2015 01:41 PM
Click here to Send Arhael a Private Message Find more posts by Arhael Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arhael
Devoid of reality

3. To be fair, Dooku and Yoda know each other and their fighting styles quite well, but a number of sources do suggest Yoda was holding back.

You never brought up a single quote from that "number of sources". You only mentioned junior novel but then I checked it myself and there is no suggestion that Yoda held back.

Old Post May 20th, 2015 01:51 PM
Click here to Send Arhael a Private Message Find more posts by Arhael Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sinious
Yo Da Best

1. There were some who focused on power, others on combat skill.

2. Fair enough.

1. Again, doesn't contradict with what I said. Both eras obviously had force users that focused on each but it is clear that TOR found power more important and PT Jedi were focusing on skill more than power.

Imo, TOR Sith being very capable in the force made the Jedi adapt and become alike where in PT the jedi were so skilled with the lightsaber that the Sith had to improve them selves to keep up even though they didn't care for dueling as much. Being very powerful in the force and very skilled in dueling at the same time is one of the major reasons of why there are so many RoT Sith in higher tiers.

3. Exactly

Old Post May 20th, 2015 02:41 PM
Sinious
Yo Da Best

Originally posted by Arhael
In RotS Dooku's Force push and choke were unpredictable enough for Kenobi to even attempt to block it. Kenobi demonstrated that, when ready, he can put up a block even against Anakin's TK. Of course there are cases, where Dooku used Force attacks without an element of surprise too.

I doubt that was possible purely cause of unpredictability tbh. Dooku's force feats far exceed Kenobi's so I'm not surprised that he was able to TK him that easily. But even if it was, Malgus did something similar to a far more powerful opposition and I really doubt this would give Dooku any advantages.

Old Post May 20th, 2015 02:46 PM
Col. Valerian
Republic Navy

This is a great fight in every category.

1. Dooku
2. Malgus
3. Malgus

Old Post May 20th, 2015 03:06 PM
Click here to Send Col. Valerian a Private Message Find more posts by Col. Valerian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Col. Valerian
Republic Navy

Dooku pressing Yoda with Lightning and then Deflecting his own Lightning when Yoda sent it back at him could very well match Malgus's feat of wrecking the Jedi in Deceived.

Though the feat where Malgus staggers the Strike Team with Lightning in TOR is definitely not something Dooku has replicated.

When did Dooku press Yoda with lightning?

Old Post May 20th, 2015 03:23 PM
Click here to Send Col. Valerian a Private Message Find more posts by Col. Valerian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arhael
Devoid of reality

I doubt that was possible purely cause of unpredictability tbh. Dooku's force feats far exceed Kenobi's so I'm not surprised that he was able to TK him that easily. But even if it was, Malgus did something similar to a far more powerful opposition and I really doubt this would give Dooku any advantages.

In AotC Kenobi blocked Dooku's lightning without any seeming effort. In last TCW fight Kenobi blocked Dooku's TK as well. Clearly Dooku cannot simply Force handle him when he chooses to, there needs to be an opening for that.

Old Post May 20th, 2015 03:29 PM