KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Anime / Manga » Dragon Ball Super - Discussion Thread

Dragon Ball Super - Discussion Thread
Started by: Time Immemorial

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (632): « First ... « 404 405 [406] 407 408 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Kento
Sure, it's written by Toyotaro, but it stops with Final Form Freeza against base Goku. It's not even a full story arc more just a story to provide hype for the movie without spoiling the ending. So it's canonicity is very dubious at best. It's half a manga if so, and its not included in the volume 1 or 2 of the series either.
Huh?

The RoF manga literally carries the exact same canonical affiliations as the DBS manga. Same author/illustrator, same overseer, same serializing media, same publisher, etc.

The story stopping just before Freeza becomes Golden certainly doesn't make it non-canon, and/or 'dubious' material. Remember, the RoF manga was actually released just BEFORE the film -- they didn't want to spoil the film's 'big reveals' by depicting Golden Freeza and SSB Goku(both transformations were completely unknown at the time.)

But again, there is absolutely NO reason to doubt its canonicity.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Last edited by Galan007 on Dec 17th, 2017 at 04:59 PM

Old Post Dec 17th, 2017 04:46 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kento
The last Hokage

How is half a story that will never be finished grounds for making it canon just because someone who ended up writing the manga wrote a promotion for a movie that was coming out? Nothing even remotely suggests it's canon to the manga.

In the actual released volumes the arc isn't anywhere to be found. If it was put into those volumes then there would be a case of it being part of the actual manga. Heck, the actual manga says that Freeza was revived and immediately launched his assault on Earth, but the movie, and one-shot manga it's months later when he does.

Old Post Dec 17th, 2017 05:12 PM
Kento is currently offline Click here to Send Kento a Private Message Find more posts by Kento Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
vansonbee
Isee

Manga route? Does that mean Golden Frieza never happened in the manga and he was just chilling and training since his revival? Goku later finds Frieza and invite to the tournament of power? So Frieza still ends up in the tournament, but without a halo?

Old Post Dec 17th, 2017 08:45 PM
vansonbee is currently offline Click here to Send vansonbee a Private Message Find more posts by vansonbee Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kento
The last Hokage

Originally posted by vansonbee
Manga route? Does that mean Golden Frieza never happened in the manga and he was just chilling and training since his revival? Goku later finds Frieza and invite to the tournament of power? So Frieza still ends up in the tournament, but without a halo?
The events of RoF happen in the manga, they mention them at the beginning of the U6 arc. Whis specifically talks about Golden Freeza.

Old Post Dec 17th, 2017 08:51 PM
Kento is currently offline Click here to Send Kento a Private Message Find more posts by Kento Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by Kento
How is half a story that will never be finished grounds for making it canon just because someone who ended up writing the manga wrote a promotion for a movie that was coming out? Nothing even remotely suggests it's canon to the manga.

In the actual released volumes the arc isn't anywhere to be found. If it was put into those volumes then there would be a case of it being part of the actual manga. Heck, the actual manga says that Freeza was revived and immediately launched his assault on Earth, but the movie, and one-shot manga it's months later when he does.
What are you talking about? As mentioned: the RoF manga literally carries the EXACT SAME canonical affiliations as the DBS manga... SAME author/illustrator(Toyotaro), SAME overseer(Toriyama), SAME serializing media(V-Jump), SAME publisher(Shueisha Inc.), etc. The manga predates the film, so obviously it's not going to spoil the HUGE transformation reveals from the film itself(it already spoiled enough as-is.) But why on earth you think that makes the rest of the manga's Chapters non-canon by default, literally makes no coherent sense.

Eh, since when did being released in collected-format become the one and only benchmark for canonicity? Again, your opinion here makes no sense at all -- it's as if you're overlooking, and/or ignoring everything else we know about the manga's production. I don't get it..? confused

Anyway, the RoF manga is irrefutable canon until *proven* otherwise, period.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2017 06:42 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Plot twist.

Galan actually works for Tori.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2017 07:13 PM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
wakkawakkawakka

Wait so if Toriyama/Toyotaro haven't forgotten about Uub, then does this mean that End of Z is still a thing...which would make the ToP completely stake-less? Aside from expanding the DBZ universe, is there any reason to care about any of these eliminations?

Old Post Dec 18th, 2017 11:27 PM
wakkawakkawakka is currently offline Click here to Send wakkawakkawakka a Private Message Find more posts by wakkawakkawakka Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kento
The last Hokage

Originally posted by wakkawakkawakka
Wait so if Toriyama/Toyotaro haven't forgotten about Uub, then does this mean that End of Z is still a thing...which would make the ToP completely stake-less? Aside from expanding the DBZ universe, is there any reason to care about any of these eliminations?
EoZ has always been a thing, it's going to be connecting to it. Toyotaro has said that already.

So yea, ToP is useless.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2017 11:29 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
Plot twist.

Galan actually works for Tori.
(please log in to view the image)

It's interesting because the EoZ arc does appear to still be intact/canon, which means that U7 ultimately does survive the ToP(assuming a massive retcon doesn't happen, of course.) What we don't know is *how* U7 gets there, and what exactly happens to the rest of DB cosmology in the wake of the ToP..? So from *that* perspective the ToP is still very important -- it dictates pretty much everything that happens moving forward. /shrug

Last edited by Galan007 on Dec 18th, 2017 at 11:53 PM

Old Post Dec 18th, 2017 11:45 PM
vansonbee
Isee

TOP plot twist is Gohan ending up making the wish as the final fighter?

Old Post Dec 18th, 2017 11:56 PM
vansonbee is currently offline Click here to Send vansonbee a Private Message Find more posts by vansonbee Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zack Fair
Fanboy

I liked the episode. Can't deny I got hyped and moved closer to the screen when the saiyan trifecta powered up together. Good to see Gohan kick ass.

Many thanks to Rao Kal-EL Da Man

Old Post Dec 20th, 2017 03:24 AM
Zack Fair is currently offline Click here to Send Zack Fair a Private Message Find more posts by Zack Fair Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Uh, even if EoZ wasn't a thing we know U7 would survive somehow. They aren't just going to end the story by blowing up the universe and everyone there lol. What a stupid ass complaint.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2017 03:28 AM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

thumb up, tbh.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2017 04:05 AM
NewGuy01 is currently offline Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

Originally posted by Galan007
SAME author/illustrator(Toyotaro), SAME overseer(Toriyama), SAME serializing media(V-Jump), SAME publisher(Shueisha Inc.), etc.

Yes, but for the record that doesn't necessarily mean that it's part of the manga's continuity. It was a one-shot that was attached to the movies, which continuity-wise are separate from both the anime and the manga.

It was done before the start of the manga's serialization, and possibly before Toyotaro even got the manga deal. Remember that the power scaling and mechanics of SSJG were set up differently from the movies to the manga, and it's easy to see which interpretation the RoF one-shot takes, which imo is the most obvious indicator.

It's basically to the RoF movie what the current manga is to the anime, and like the movies, is insulated from the manga and anime. At least, that's how I see it.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2017 06:51 AM
NewGuy01 is currently offline Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bbrem123

Looks like a new DBS movie is coming out. Has something to do with the Saiyan race. Wonder if it will the the story of Yamoshi.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2017 01:52 PM
bbrem123 is currently offline Click here to Send bbrem123 a Private Message Find more posts by bbrem123 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by NewGuy01
Yes, but for the record that doesn't necessarily mean that it's part of the manga's continuity. It was a one-shot that was attached to the movies, which continuity-wise are separate from both the anime and the manga.

It was done before the start of the manga's serialization, and possibly before Toyotaro even got the manga deal. Remember that the power scaling and mechanics of SSJG were set up differently from the movies to the manga, and it's easy to see which interpretation the RoF one-shot takes, which imo is the most obvious indicator.

It's basically to the RoF movie what the current manga is to the anime, and like the movies, is insulated from the manga and anime. At least, that's how I see it.
I suppose I could buy that if the DBS manga itself didn't stop right before the RoF manga started(with Sorbet and Tagoma searching for the Dragon Balls in order to resurrect Freeza), skip over the RoF arc entirely(presumably because that arc already had a serialized/published manga written by the SAME entities), and then resume with the U6 vs. U7 Tournament.

Literally everything we know about manga-canonicity as it pertains to DB says the RoF manga is canon -- linking to the film certainly doesn't 'de-canonize' it... And if it *weren't* canon we'd undoubtedly know it by now, imo. /shrug

But you two are welcome to your opinions... I really don't care either way. thumb up

Last edited by Galan007 on Dec 20th, 2017 at 05:15 PM

Old Post Dec 20th, 2017 05:03 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by bbrem123
Looks like a new DBS movie is coming out. Has something to do with the Saiyan race. Wonder if it will the the story of Yamoshi.
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/...;pagenumber=404

stick out tongue

Old Post Dec 20th, 2017 05:09 PM
NewGuy01
perpetual

Well, considering how there's three different equally official versions of BoG and RoF, I wouldn't really say there's any such thing as a coherent canon for Dragon Ball Super. Rather, I just see it as three different continuities; the movies, the anime, and the manga. And like I said, I think the RoF one-shot falls into the "movies" category for reasons I specified earlier.

As for why the entire arc was skipped in RoF, my personal suspicion is that it was to get a head start on the anime (the BoG arc was also heavily cut down for this reason). I don't really think it was assumed that readers would have jumped to the one-shot between chapters 4 and 5 or anything like that.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2017 05:19 PM
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

So, what happens if Goku presses the Zeno button during the ToP?

Can he talk Zeno into erasing everyone for him?

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2017 05:20 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

Nothing would happen, he's already present.

Originally posted by Utrigita
I've seen various people speculating on Cell being the one to might join in instead, which I wouldn't mind at all.

thumb up When I saw Cell on the front cover of the most recent chapter, I got ****ing hyped.

Then I realized it was just a Mr. Satan gag.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2017 05:23 PM