KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » Cronal vs Revan (Galactic war)

Cronal vs Revan (Galactic war)
Started by: WildBantha88

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 [2] 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Selenial
I Choose Violence

quote: (post)
Originally posted by NewGuy01
Darksight>Battle Precognition by a mile. That said, it doesn't necessarily mean Cronal will win.

This. It's surprisingly well matched tbh, well done

Revan's a better tactician, Cronal has better precognition by far. Revan's assassins would be huge, Cronal's imperial intelligence arguably even better.

Not sure. Probably Revan, barely.

Old Post May 6th, 2015 05:23 PM
Click here to Send Selenial a Private Message Find more posts by Selenial Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

This isn't Galactic Empire vs Revan's Empire; otherwise Revan would get stomped. The OP makes it sound like they have the exact same resources, and this is a battle of pure tactics and precog.

Old Post May 6th, 2015 05:51 PM
Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Selenial
I Choose Violence

Originally posted by NewGuy01
This isn't Galactic Empire vs Revan's Empire; otherwise Revan would get stomped. The OP makes it sound like they have the exact same resources, and this is a battle of pure tactics and precog.

I was under the impression Revan could create an Assassin sect again, and Cronal could reform intelligence. Theoretically they'd have the resources and ability to do so, why wouldn't they?

Old Post May 6th, 2015 06:30 PM
Click here to Send Selenial a Private Message Find more posts by Selenial Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Revan's Battle Precognition > Darksight. Fite me irl m8.

Then again, Selenal legitimately thinks Surik is comparable to Revan as a tactician, so I can't be too surprised. wink

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post May 6th, 2015 07:03 PM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WildBantha88

Originally posted by DarthAnt66
Fite me irl m8.
I would but I don't want to goto jail for beating up a minor. Then again it might be worth it

Old Post May 6th, 2015 08:09 PM
Click here to Send WildBantha88 a Private Message Find more posts by WildBantha88 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Originally posted by WildBantha88
Where everything he said already happened. If a character is thinking to themselves about the past, how then does that make it false? If the Emperor had seen through Cronals deceit then Cronal would have been dead already.

No one is buying your BS, not sure why you continue to speak it. Just because Cronal thinks he manipulated Palpatine doesn't mean Palpatine wasn't one step ahead of him.
You say Cronal manipulated Palpatine by apparently subtly persuading him to leave Coruscant and work from afar for an advantage over the Dark Lord, because that is what Cronal says.
A higher canonical source paints a completely different picture: "A few years into his position as head of Intelligence, Blackhole became possessed of the irrational fear that his life was in danger by staying in Coruscant. He moved his base of operations to his command ship, the Singularity, and spent the remainder of his career on the move." --Star Wars: The Emperor's Pawns

Only a few days after the Battle of Yavin, Cronal had cast his mind deep into the void, seeking the future of the young Rebel pilot who had destroyed the Death Star, and he found him as an older, more seasoned man, dressed in dark robes¨Dand bearing a lightsaber.

My fate...will be the same as my father's

Which was when Conal finally understood who Darth Vader was, and saw the terrible flaw that would bring the Order of the Sith to its ultimate destruction. A destruction that Cronal not only was determined to survive, but was certain he could transform into an eternal victory for the Dark.

- Shadow of Mindor

Cronal sees an alternant future where Luke who is "Older" and "More seasoned" and is evidently Sidious's apprentice.

Now I know what your going to say "That future didn't happen so itz bullshit!" but Darksight lets him see ALL possible futures. This is Cronal seeing a possible future several years in advance.

You are in total awe over Cronal's failed vision, yet ignore Revan's countless true visions.
BTW, Cronal can see "all possible futures" according to the narrator echoing his thoughts, like last time. erm
Darksight was as damaging to Cronal as it was helpful, literally driving him insane according to a canonical source of mine: "As he succumbs to dark side-induced madness and paranoia, the upper echelons of the Empire come to rely on Blackhole less and less... Blackhole's abandon into the dark side continued to devour his sanity, leaving him more frail with each meditation, with each vision." --Star Wars: The Emperor's Pawns

Let's assume Cronal foresees a future in where he somehow beats Revan, and then he plots the necessary stuff in order to make it happen. That's ignoring that Revan would have foreseen the entire war itself (if we really want to start using the type of quotes you are), not just a mere future, and with that knowledge can make adjustments to ensure his victory or prevent a defeat. While this power is not obviously omniscient, it served Revan perfectly during the Mandalorian Wars. He was capable of manipulating the entire faction of the Jedi Order under his command, 1/3rd of the entire Republic military, and the Mandalorian armies by drawing them into battlefields he specifically planned to fight on (ex: Dxun and Malachor).

Way to ignore the sentence exactly before that quote LOL

But the upstart in question had received Klick's fighter wing with welcome instead of combat... and greeted him with an array of authentic command codes, even Palpatine's own secret codes that had been buried in the deep core programming Klick had received in the cr¨¨che on Kamino.

- Shadow of Mindor

Erm, my apologies but I removed it because it had absolutely no relevancy to the discussion. Perhaps you can enlighten me how that he has "Palpatine's own secret codes" changes the fact he "claimed" to be Palpatine's successor?

Incorrect. Palpatine planned that if he ever were to die he would bring himself back from chaos. And Cronal possessed Palpatines own secret codes that no one else in the galaxy knew.

Yeah, same thing. He would live forever. erm And who gave Cronal these "secret codes?" Was it Palpatine? If so, what did these "secret codes" contain?

The part where he was 3 steps ahead of several of that era's best tacticians, destroyed a large Republic fleet including one of the biggest and most advanced ships ever built, and would have gotten away scott free if Luke Skywalker wasn't so damn powerful

This resembles Revan's Rishi plot so much, lol. And funnily enough, it is hardly even in his greatest military feats.

The part where he was 3 steps ahead of several of that era's best tacticians

That's because he was specifically bringing them into a trap. Of course he would be ahead of them - he starts the battle with control.
Revan was more than "3 steps ahead" of the combined might of Darth Marr's military and your beloved Satele Shan's military.
They fell so into his trap that they weren't even aware it was a trap. no expression

destroyed a large Republic fleet including one of the biggest and most advanced ships ever built

Can I get the name of the ship, and the circumstances on how it was destroyed? And he destroyed the large Republic fleet mainly because his soldiers fought to the very death, insanely increasing the causality numbers. IIRC, some pilots committed suicide by flying their ships into Alliance star destroyers. And this was literally only because Cronal constructed their armor with meltmassif, which allowed him to control them completely at will.

He won't have such an advantage here.

and would have gotten away scott free if Luke Skywalker wasn't so damn powerful

And Revan was actually minutes way from successfully completing his plot. thumb up It failed only thanks to the combined efforts of 8 of the "galaxy's most powerful champions," Theron Shan, and Lana Beniko.

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Last edited by Jaggarath on May 6th, 2015 at 08:15 PM

Old Post May 6th, 2015 08:10 PM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sinious
Yo Da Best

I would but I don't want to goto jail for beating up a minor. Then again it might be worth it

laughing

Old Post May 6th, 2015 08:46 PM
Click here to Send Sinious a Private Message Find more posts by Sinious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

If you mean entertaining as in wears a helmet and a straight best than sure HE's a RIOT

"Happiness is a lie. Life is horror. The light is always dying all across the universe. The last star will flicker out someday, when it does, all that remains is shadow. And I will be its king!"'-Amahl Farouk

Old Post May 6th, 2015 08:49 PM
Click here to Send carthage a Private Message Find more posts by carthage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

/implying you originally had some form of citizen and legal rights

Old Post May 6th, 2015 08:55 PM
Selenial
I Choose Violence

Revan's Battle Precognition > Darksight. Fite me irl m8.

Then again, Selenal legitimately thinks Surik is comparable to Revan as a tactician, so I can't be too surprised. wink

Not sure why you need to lie to get out of the hilarious hope you've dug but ok.

She's comparable as a ship to ship tactician, that much is literally stated you just can't look at two things at once, and obviously marvelling at the minuscule hard on you have for revan is more fascinating to you confused

Old Post May 6th, 2015 08:58 PM
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

How so? Meetra's forces were being completely devastated at Malachor V until Revan showed up. And he manipulated her during the entire Battle of Dxun.

Old Post May 6th, 2015 09:00 PM
Selenial
I Choose Violence

How so? Meetra's forces were being completely devastated at Malachor V until Revan showed up. And he manipulated her during the entire Battle of Dxun.

They were being decimated because she had half the forces, he planned it that way to make sure no one loyal to her (half the Republic navy) survived, or he'd have a harder time taking the core.

Old Post May 6th, 2015 09:01 PM
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Sure, and Revan had the other half. He came in and turned the tide of the battle in their favor.

So, what points to Surik being a comparable tactician? Surely not Malachor or Dxun.

Old Post May 6th, 2015 09:03 PM
Selenial
I Choose Violence

Sure, and Revan had the other half. He came in and turned the tide of the battle in their favor.

So, what points to Surik being a comparable tactician? Surely not Malachor or Dxun.

I used all those quotes in my Kaggaths, go find them tbh. I'm playing Smite smokin'

Old Post May 6th, 2015 09:04 PM
ares834

Originally posted by Selenial
They were being decimated because she had half the forces, he planned it that way to make sure no one loyal to her (half the Republic navy) survived, or he'd have a harder time taking the core.

Where is this stated?

Yes, Revan used the device to "clean house" but where is it stated that those he killed were loyal to the Exile rather than the Republic?

Old Post May 6th, 2015 09:04 PM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Aurbere

Revan wins, obviously. Cronal is smart and cunning, and he has Darksight, granted. However, warfare is completely different from political machinations. Cronal has one showing of genuine tactical skill in war, just one. Revan has masterminded two wars, one of which he won completely and utterly against a vastly superior military force, the other he would have won if not for the betrayal of his apprentice.

Let's keep in mind Revan's accomplishments during the Mandalorian Wars. Not only had the Mandalorians broken into the Core Worlds, but the Republic was on the verge of collapse by that point:

quote:

The Mandalorians reach the Core Worlds at Duro. The Republic is on the verge of collapse.

--The Essential Atlas

Despite this, Revan and his Jedi defeated the Mandalorians in but a year (Revan joined in 3961 and the war ended in 3960). Revan didn't just defeat them, though, he utterly crushed them. Almost all of Mandalore the Ultimate's gains were rolled back by Revan's forces:

quote:

Revan rolled back almost all of Mandalore the Ultimate's gains, retaking Taris and wiping out the Mandalorian ground forces at Althir.

--The Essential Atlas

From there, Revan drew the Mandalorians into a trap at Malachor V and utterly annihilated them to the point that the Mandalorians could never pose a galactic threat again.

Now, what about Cronal?

Yes, Cronal waged his own war, this time against the New Republic. He was rather successful of course. However, take note that the galaxy was in chaos during this time. The New Republic was still fighting the Galactic Civil War, making engagements with other Imperial forces (such as the Warlord Zsinj), Ssi-ruuk, Lumiya and the Nagai, as well as its continuing campaigns into the Core World. (Review the Essential Atlas, the Essential Guide to Warfare, or even Wookieepedia to confirm)

Essentially, Cronal engaged a distracted New Republic. It should be obvious that he did so well. In comparison, Revan took a broken Republic and met the Mandalorians head on, utterly crushing them while simultaneously working to corrupt his own forces.

But Cronal set up that trap, right? One of his better accomplishments? Yes he did, and yes it is. Thing is, it didn't work. If we're still comparing Revan's feats in the Mandalorian Wars to Cronal's, then Revan has him beat in the development of traps. Mostly because his trap was actually successful. Even better, Revan wasn't even there for most of the battle at Malachor V. Revan's trap was so well-founded that he didn't even need to execute it personally until the final stages. On the flip side, Cronal was at Mindor and he still lost.

I would refer to Rishi for another example of Revan's skill in that particular area, but it seems to have already been mentioned, so I don't feel a pressing need to get into it.

Revan is the superior tactician, obviously. I think we can all agree to that, right? Moving on...

So, what about Darksight? Well, as a perceptive ability it is incredibly powerful. However, it has one major flaw. As has been posted already, Darksight drives Cronal slowly insane. If Cronal were to rely on this ability since he is so outclassed in tactical abilities, he would slowly drive himself towards insanity. Psychological warfare (one of Revan's most used methods) becomes that much more effective. Revan's mass deceptions skyrocket in efficiency. Etc, etc. Revan's advanced military tactics are practically designed to take advantage of Cronal's slowly growing insanity and paranoia.

And not to mention Revan's own advanced perceptive abilities. Revan can see the paths of entire wars and outdo other masters of precognitive abilities, as he demonstrated during the engagements with the Echani's greatest warrior Yusanis.

So, assuming Cronal uses Darksight and sees himself winning against Revan, the latter will most likely be able to predict Cronal's movements and counter them. It's simple, Cronal sees the outcome and attempts to manipulate events towards that outcome. Revan sees these events and counters.

Regardless, Revan is the superior military commander and has a means of contending with Cronal's Darksight, flawed as it is. Based on all of the above and more, Revan should come out on top.

Last edited by Aurbere on May 6th, 2015 at 09:21 PM

Old Post May 6th, 2015 09:18 PM
Click here to Send Aurbere a Private Message Find more posts by Aurbere Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Selenial
I Choose Violence

Originally posted by ares834
Where is this stated?

Yes, Revan used the device to "clean house" but where is it stated that those he killed were loyal to the Exile rather than the Republic?

He killed those who weren't loyal to him, there's a difference.

One of the Kreia speeches, or Atris in the Revan Novel. I forget.

Old Post May 6th, 2015 09:31 PM
Selenial
I Choose Violence

Nvm

"i admire u choose cersei as ur avi sel. at least u know that ur one sick *****, i can respect that" - Inturpid.

Old Post May 6th, 2015 09:32 PM
Zenwolf

Originally posted by Selenial
He killed those who weren't loyal to him, there's a difference.

One of the Kreia speeches, or Atris in the Revan Novel. I forget.

That's entirely stupid tbh.

Old Post May 6th, 2015 09:45 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Selenial
I Choose Violence

Originally posted by Zenwolf
That's entirely stupid tbh.

Meh, he was a Dark Lord at that point. Wanted to weaken the republic. Not stupid, it's Genius.

Old Post May 6th, 2015 09:49 PM