KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode IV, V & VI » Why didn't Vader catch Luke with force pull?

Why didn't Vader catch Luke with force pull?
Started by: Dark-Kenshin

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Dark-Kenshin
Blocked

Why didn't Vader catch Luke with force pull?

Seems he could have easily prevented a weakened Luke from escaping his clutches at the end of the Empire Strikes Back. confused

Old Post May 20th, 2015 03:45 AM
Click here to Send Dark-Kenshin a Private Message Find more posts by Dark-Kenshin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Vader knew that Luke would survive, in fact he saw Luke get sucked into the exhaust hole thing according to both the script and novelization, hence why he had the Falcon's hyperdrive disabled right after the Falcon arrived at Bespin, thus also letting Leia and co go, knowing that they would rescue him as a backup. Thus Vader could then capture, Luke, Leia, Chewie and all them.

In that event, Han wouldn't have been rescued, Luke would have become a new Sith Lord, Leia and Chewie probably executed, Rebellion pretty much destroyed without their heroes.

This all makes sense, when you think of why the Falcon's hyperdrive was disabled and why Leia and them were pretty much let go like they were on the Death Star. It was all apart of a bigger or a backup plan incase things didn't go right the first time.

Unfortunately, R2 was there to bail out the Falcon and re-activate the hyperdrive.

Last edited by Zenwolf on May 20th, 2015 at 05:53 AM

Old Post May 20th, 2015 05:50 AM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Or Vader's quick-time telekinetic reactions are a result of the EU, and that movie Vader wasn't capable of such power.

Old Post May 20th, 2015 05:29 PM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Or Vader's quick-time telekinetic reactions are a result of the EU, and that movie Vader wasn't capable of such power.

He was able to react to Han's fast draw which was noted as faster than a wink of an eye, he certainly has the reaction. Also considering that he can see things before they happen like all Force Users could, he should be capable of reacting so....that's not any EU thing either.

Last edited by Zenwolf on May 20th, 2015 at 06:08 PM

Old Post May 20th, 2015 06:06 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

I said quick-time telekinetic reactions. Knowing and reacting to something as it happens is one thing, having the power to execute your reaction effectively is another.

I can react to the softball you throw at me and catch it well enough, but if your throw a bowling ball at me, my power to effectively react in the same manner (catching) is not so up to the challenge.

Old Post May 20th, 2015 06:33 PM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

I don't see why Vader would have trouble with it considering his mastery. At any rate, there was a clear backup plan in place anyway so Vader didn't need to have to catch Luke in that manner.

Old Post May 20th, 2015 06:36 PM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Originally posted by Zenwolf
I don't see why Vader would have trouble with it considering his mastery. At any rate, there was a clear backup plan in place anyway so Vader didn't need to have to catch Luke in that manner.
Proof that disabling the Falcon's hyperdrive was a backup plan? Leia and Han were his enemies and his bait, of course he's going to disable the Falcon and keep them in place so that he could use them to lure Luke again if this time went belly-up. Hell, that's not even a back-up plan, that's a first measure you take for your original plan---the bait and trap. Deny them an escape. Too easy?

Vader didn't know Luke would survive that fall. The original audio in the immediate scene afterward had Vader sound more than a tad pissed. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that's due to his main quarry having genuinely escaped or genuinely fell to his death. If he knew that Luke was gonna jump (and survive--something Luke didn't think was going to happen), where were the Imperial ships and soldiers waiting to pick him from Cloud City's underbelly?

Don't just go making up motivations and strategies for your favourite characters just to excuse their perceived on-screen shortcomings. Vader's just not that powerful with telekinesis. He was never shown or described to be. All other on-screen TK in the OT is shown to take time and be a slow-moving, deliberate action. Catching a suddenly falling adult body is none of those things.

Last edited by Lord Lucien on May 20th, 2015 at 07:11 PM

Old Post May 20th, 2015 07:04 PM
Zenwolf

Considering via the script Vader watched Luke fall, he even watched him fall in the movie. He knew that he survived. Also why wouldn't that be the backup plan? He already captured Han and them and used them to lure Luke, incase they did escape and Luke did, there was already something that prevented them from escaping.

Plus he didn't seem surprised when he knew Luke was on board the Falcon and contacted him via TP.

Also that scene didn't sound like Vader was pissed tbh. Even if he was, it seems more like he'd be pissed that Luke didn't go with him.

Also you forgetting the duel? Vader hardly showed an strain of effort with his TK, throwing objects and they weren't slow.

But it seems were at opposite ends here, so I'm just gonna drop it.

Last edited by Zenwolf on May 20th, 2015 at 07:20 PM

Old Post May 20th, 2015 07:17 PM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Originally posted by Zenwolf
1.) Considering via the script Vader watched Luke fall, he even watched him fall in the movie. He knew that he survived.

2.) Also why wouldn't that be the backup plan? He already captured Han and them and used them to lure Luke, incase they did escape and Luke did, there was already something that prevented them from escaping.

3.) Plus he didn't seem surprised when he knew Luke was on board the Falcon and contacted him via TP.

4.) Also that scene didn't sound like Vader was pissed tbh. Even if he was, it seems more like he'd be pissed that Luke didn't go with him.

5.) Also you forgetting the duel? Vader hardly showed an strain of effort with his TK, throwing objects and they weren't slow.

But it seems were at opposite ends here, so I'm just gonna drop it.
1.) Yeah, watching him fall and being physically (Forcically?) capable of stopping him, are two different things. I can watch you drop a bowling ball, doesn't mean I can catch it.

2.) Hey, sure, good back-up plan. It's not because he knew Luke was going to fall and survive. He knew it would be his and his allies go-to escape vessel. So he took precautions from the get-go to prevent any of them from using it at any point. Frankly, the Falcon's Hyperdrive is irrespective of Luke and Vader's fight. It was part of the pre-trap, part of the cautionary steps for his prisoners. Not part of the actual trap.

3.) And? He barely registered an emotion when Palpatine assured him that Luke was his son. He didn't even flinch when Obi-Wan literally vanished. Surprise doesn't register much with Vader. Plus... the Force, and it's super powers? And Luke "indeed is powerful". Hell, I'd say his lone "Luke" when he contacts him on the Falcon, is one of regret and relief. Relief that he didn't die from his fall, regret that he didn't join him willingly.

4.) I'd wager both.

5.) I didn't forget it. I watched it. Slow, deliberate, planned TK movements. Not involving sudden, downward-falling adult bodies in a wind tunnel. He's just not that good with TK.

Old Post May 20th, 2015 07:59 PM
|King Joker|
Your Excellency

Yeah, the OT didn't mean for TK to be this hugely powerful thing you can whip out at a moments notice I don't think.

Old Post May 21st, 2015 02:13 AM
Click here to Send |King Joker| a Private Message Find more posts by |King Joker| Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Luminous
kusemono

He barely registered an emotion when Palpatine assured him that Luke was his son.

Probably because he already knew, or strongly suspected.

Old Post May 29th, 2015 01:19 PM
Click here to Send Darth Luminous a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Luminous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Abonis

It happened too fast, Vader didn't have time to concentrate plus Luke refused to join him. It would be pointless to grab him. He'd fight back in vain, and Vader might have to deliver the killing blow.

Old Post Jun 4th, 2015 10:18 PM
Click here to Send Darth Abonis a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Abonis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ace Hambone

Why not just disable the Falcon completely and have troops waiting to snatch them when they boarded?

Plot device! Plus the running gag about the Falcon having trouble jumping to hyperspace/light speed.

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2015 05:51 AM
Click here to Send Ace Hambone a Private Message Find more posts by Ace Hambone Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote