KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » TFU Shaak Ti vs. Darth Zannah (lightsabers only)

TFU Shaak Ti vs. Darth Zannah (lightsabers only)
Started by: carthage

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
ILS
Restricted

Account Restricted

Wolf, you're forgetting that MagnaGuards remember and adapt to past experiences - their sparring with Grievous, fights against Jedi, and so on. The more battle hardened a MagnaGuard is (usually indicated by their wear and tear, which Grievous purposely leaves them with), the more adaptable and experienced they will be. They're usually distinguishable by their colouring (blue or grey) and the one's Kenobi and Anakin fought are among the few who have a unique designation. There's also a difference between Grievous's "elite", his personal bodyguards, and a regular MagnaGuard. Not a drastic difference all around, but a noticeable one to be sure.

“The galaxy must experience the pain of death and the rapture of rebirth as I have. I will bring chaos. It is time for war.

Old Post Jun 10th, 2015 05:27 PM
Click here to Send ILS a Private Message Find more posts by ILS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Never really seen any much difference between Grevious' 'elite' ones and other Magnaguards unless there's some actual proven difference. I'll say there's a difference, but I don't think it's huge to the point where the skill difference would be that big.

Old Post Jun 10th, 2015 05:34 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Selenial
I Choose Violence

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Zenwolf
Right, there's nothing indicating that the Mangaguards picked were any different then the regular ones. Plus considering, who says the hand picked just meant he picked them over other battle droids from the CIS?...

There's no evidence that the Magnaguards were any different than others, they are all of the same design, with the same capabilities, so on and so forth.

It also doesn't matter, because it's not like it takes away from Ti's feat.

Hand-picked implies for a specific cause and reason. If he hand picks them for a task it's because they would be the best at said task. He explains in the ROTS Novel how crucial the capture of Palpatine was, they threw away thousands of ships and millions of droids to create the distraction, you think the magnaguards that were every part as important as him wouldn't be the best?

There's a huge difference between a lot of the Magnaguards, as ILS explains.

Old Post Jun 10th, 2015 05:39 PM
Click here to Send Selenial a Private Message Find more posts by Selenial Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Originally posted by Selenial
Hand-picked implies for a specific cause and reason. If he hand picks them for a task it's because they would be the best at said task. He explains in the ROTS Novel how crucial the capture of Palpatine was, they threw away thousands of ships and millions of droids to create the distraction, you think the magnaguards that were every part as important as him wouldn't be the best?

There's a huge difference between a lot of the Magnaguards, as ILS explains.

Not much a difference from what I've read.

Why would they need to be the best, if they already were the best at challenging Jedi?

If they were the best, then hell that makes the Red Guard even more badass considering a group of them held their own against a group of Magnaguards.

Old Post Jun 10th, 2015 05:46 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Selenial
I Choose Violence

Not much a difference from what I've read.

Why would they need to be the best, if they already were the best at challenging Jedi?

If they were the best, then hell that makes the Red Guard even more badass considering a group of them held their own against a group of Magnaguards.

Because the best of the best is the only chance Grievous had of getting Palpatine out on a planet filled with a thousand Jedi? He knew Shaak Ti was guarding Palpatine, he had to bring Magnaguards capable of challenging a Jedi Council Member, not a Jedi.

I don't understand this argument.

Old Post Jun 10th, 2015 06:01 PM
Click here to Send Selenial a Private Message Find more posts by Selenial Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stigma
Herald of the Judgement

Zannah dies.

Old Post Jun 10th, 2015 06:02 PM
Click here to Send Stigma a Private Message Find more posts by Stigma Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Selenial
I Choose Violence

Originally posted by Stigma
Zannah dies.

Old Post Jun 10th, 2015 06:05 PM
Zenwolf

Because the best of the best is the only chance Grievous had of getting Palpatine out on a planet filled with a thousand Jedi? He knew Shaak Ti was guarding Palpatine, he had to bring Magnaguards capable of challenging a Jedi Council Member, not a Jedi.

I don't understand this argument.

Yet we haven't seen other Magnaguards fight Council members?

What I'm not understanding is how one quote means that the Magnaguards Grevious picked were far and above any other Magnaguards. I can say that they may have a notable difference, but nothing drastic.

Though this is rather moot considering Ti only took out as many as she did because of a style that the Magnaguards were completely unable to defend from properly. Not to say that the feat can't be used, but don't use it as the sole reason.

Here this is just a strict saber duel against Zannah.

Last edited by Zenwolf on Jun 10th, 2015 at 06:09 PM

Old Post Jun 10th, 2015 06:06 PM
Stigma
Herald of the Judgement

Shaak Ti rocks.

Old Post Jun 10th, 2015 06:07 PM
Click here to Send Stigma a Private Message Find more posts by Stigma Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Selenial
I Choose Violence

Yet we haven't seen other Magnaguards fight Council members?

What I'm not understanding is how one quote means that the Magnaguards Grevious picked were far and above any other Magnaguards. I can say that they may have a notable difference, but nothing drastic.

Though this is rather moot considering Ti only took out as many as she did because of a style that the Magnaguards were completely unable to defend from properly.

Here this is just a strict saber duel against Zannah.

We have seen other guards fight Council Members, Kenobi, Koth, Gallia all fought Magnaguards.

And I'm not sure how? Her jump attacks were kind of crazy, but she disarmed and fought off two as well. Using their own blades should actually be a style they're very much used to...

Her lightsaber fight with Galen still puts her above Zannah anyway.

Old Post Jun 10th, 2015 06:10 PM
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Originally posted by Stigma
Zannah dies.

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post Jun 10th, 2015 06:13 PM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

We have seen other guards fight Council Members, Kenobi, Koth, Gallia all fought Magnaguards.

And I'm not sure how? Her jump attacks were kind of crazy, but she disarmed and fought off two as well. Using their own blades should actually be a style they're very much used to...

Her lightsaber fight with Galen still puts her above Zannah anyway.

They clearly weren't used to it considering how many were wrecked, although it was kinda brief.

Old Post Jun 10th, 2015 06:14 PM
Trocity
Undefeated and Undisputed

I sort of agree with you here. The fact that Kenobi was being pressed by the one magnaguard, yet Shaak Ti supposedly stomps a dozen of equal skill?

Seems fishy to me.

Old Post Jun 10th, 2015 06:19 PM
Click here to Send Trocity a Private Message Find more posts by Trocity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Originally posted by Trocity
I sort of agree with you here. The fact that Kenobi was being pressed by the one magnaguard, yet Shaak Ti supposedly stomps a dozen of equal skill?

Seems fishy to me.

That and prior with only her lightsaber, a single one was contending with her and wasn't stomped.

But anyway moot all around as I agree Ti wins this, was just merely questioning that Magnaguard thing.

Old Post Jun 10th, 2015 06:20 PM
Zenwolf

Tbh, while the novel says elite...can't this just be as a general term?...The Magnaguards are already elite duelists from what the knowledge about them says and there is a quote saying..

"Gunray saw that Grevious was accompanied by 4 of his elite Magnaguards."

Then going onto say the elite were trained in the Jedi arts, making them more than a match for most.

The term elite doesn't necessarily mean that those specific guys are a cut above the rest. Otherwise then does that mean every time the word elite appears, this means that those guys are above the standard even when the term elite is thrown around to signify others of the same sort?

Last edited by Zenwolf on Jun 10th, 2015 at 06:29 PM

Old Post Jun 10th, 2015 06:24 PM
Beniboybling
Worst Member

Never really seen any much difference between Grevious' 'elite' ones and other Magnaguards unless there's some actual proven difference. I'll say there's a difference, but I don't think it's huge to the point where the skill difference would be that big.
You seem to be forgetting that Grievous was intially frustrated with the incompetency of the magnaguards provided him, and as a result personally trained a select few in all seven forms of lightsaber combat to meet his exacting standards:
quote:
Source: Labyrinth of Evil

Gunray saw that Grievous was accompanied by four of his elite MagnaGuards. Fearsome bipedal battle droids built to exact specifications, they stood as tall as the general and were armed with combat staffs tipped with electromagnetic pulse generators. Armorweave capes fell diagonally across their broad shouldered bodies, swathing the crowns of their heads and lower faces. Benefiting from Grievous’s own programming, as well as from the instruction Grievous had received from Count Dooku, the elite were trained in the Jedi arts, and more than a match for most.
quote:
Source: Labyrinth of Evil

Dooku had taught Grievous well, and Grievous had taught his elite well. Coupled with Dooku’s coaching, their programming in the seven classic forms of lightsaber dueling-in the Jedi arts-made them lethal opponents.
Obviously not every Magnaguard is going to have received this elite training given their numbers and given that some didn't even serve Grievous but Dooku. And it is likely that it was these elite units that Grievous brought to Coruscant.

Though this doesn't mean every one of them was of this caliber.

Last edited by Beniboybling on Jun 10th, 2015 at 07:09 PM

Old Post Jun 10th, 2015 07:07 PM
Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Originally posted by Beniboybling
You seem to be forgetting that Grievous was intially frustrated with the incompetency of the magnaguards provided him, and as a result personally trained a select few in all seven forms of lightsaber combat to meet his exacting standards:
Obviously not every Magnaguard is going to have received this elite training given their numbers and given that some didn't even serve Grievous but Dooku. And it is likely that it was these elite units that Grievous brought to Coruscant.

Though this doesn't mean every one of them was of this caliber.

I'm not seeing where it said Grevious chose a select few and again with that quote I noted, can't elite just be used as a general term?

I mean otherwise, is every time the word elite appears gonna be because those guys are a cut above all the others when the term is thrown around so loosely?

Old Post Jun 10th, 2015 07:11 PM
Selenial
I Choose Violence

You should probably read her respect thread...

Can we just end the thread with this?

Old Post Jun 10th, 2015 07:15 PM
Beniboybling
Worst Member

I'm not seeing where it said Grevious chose a select few and again with that quote I noted, can't elite just be used as a general term?

I mean otherwise, is every time the word elite appears gonna be because those guys are a cut above all the others when the term is thrown around so loosely?
So your saying that Grievous personally trained every magnaguard ever built?

Isn't he busy doing something like... winning the Clone Wars?

Old Post Jun 10th, 2015 07:16 PM
Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

So your saying that Grievous personally trained every magnaguard ever built?

Isn't he busy doing something like... winning the Clone Wars?

Is that such an impossibility considering all the other ridiculousness that is in SW? How many Magnaguards are there truly anyway?

But I'm not saying he did, I'm saying though that this elite term....can be used in a loose fashion.

Old Post Jun 10th, 2015 07:21 PM