KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » comic book writers in TV, etc...

comic book writers in TV, etc...
Started by: leonidas

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

comic book writers in TV, etc...

just curious what people think of comic book writers branching off into different media. i know some must have STARTED in other media, but anyone have any particular favourite episodes or books or games written by famous comic book artists? i'll start i guess--i LOVE gaiman novels, especially american gods and the ocean at the end of the lane.

brain vaughan has done LOST on TV. fraction has done episodes of one of my faves tv shows--da vinci's demons.

any movies or media outside comics that you thought were well done by comic writers?

Old Post Jun 12th, 2015 05:23 PM
leonidas is currently offline Click here to Send leonidas a Private Message Find more posts by leonidas Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Gaiman has also done a couple episodes of Doctor Who. One to acclaim. The other to...not acclaim. And he's done a couple movie screenplays. If memory serves, one for Beowulf (tepid reviews) and one for his own adaptation of Stardust (well received). There really isn't much he HASN'T dipped his hand into.

Not many others coming to mind atm. I'm sure I'll think of more.

Old Post Jun 15th, 2015 01:11 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

I've read a shitton of Dan Abnett's Warhammer 40k novels.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Jun 15th, 2015 04:33 AM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Ben Edlund the creator of The Tick has been producing, writing on various shows.

Last edited by Kazenji on Jun 15th, 2015 at 12:22 PM

Old Post Jun 15th, 2015 12:19 PM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Digi
Gaiman has also done a couple episodes of Doctor Who. One to acclaim. The other to...not acclaim. And he's done a couple movie screenplays. If memory serves, one for Beowulf (tepid reviews) and one for his own adaptation of Stardust (well received). There really isn't much he HASN'T dipped his hand into.

Not many others coming to mind atm. I'm sure I'll think of more.

yeah, he's done some poetry as well, that i kind of dig. neverwhere--the screen adaptation was....sorta cool. i DID like stardust quite a bit--both the movie and the book. he even did a kids picture book--wolves in the walls. quite cool and a nice mentor text that i have used the last couple years in my classroom.

did anyone like alan moore's league of extraordinary gentlemen? movie or books? moore kinda went all suck-ass when the film got some negative reviews, but i actually quite enjoyed it....

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2015 09:11 PM
leonidas is currently offline Click here to Send leonidas a Private Message Find more posts by leonidas Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

I forgot about Gaiman's Mirrormask. I suppose I'm a bit too steeped in Hero's Journey-style literary background, so I can't call it structurally inventive. It's almost a "paint by numbers" hero journey in terms of plot. That's not always a bad thing; just something I noticed. But it was a cool movie with some bizarre, creative visuals and ideas. Fans of Gaiman will feel right at home with it. It got mostly average reviews for similar reasons: lacking in plot, but visually masterful.

I disliked the League of Extraordinary Men movie. Only a few saving graces among a mostly mediocre film. I hear they want to remake it. Never read the comic, ironically. I might sometime.

Last edited by Digi on Jun 24th, 2015 at 02:50 PM

Old Post Jun 24th, 2015 02:44 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
basilisk

Originally posted by leonidas
did anyone like alan moore's league of extraordinary gentlemen? movie or books? moore kinda went all suck-ass when the film got some negative reviews, but i actually quite enjoyed it....
Originally posted by Digi

I disliked the League of Extraordinary Men movie. Only a few saving graces among a mostly mediocre film. I hear they want to remake it. Never read the comic, ironically. I might sometime.
I also sort of enjoyed the LXG movie despite it's many, many flaws. I believe both Alan Moore and Sean Connery disliked the final product - I think it's one of the things that made Connery finally decide to retire from making movies.

I don't think Alan Moore had anything to do with writing the movie so I'm not surprised he didn't like it. They are totally different takes on the broad concept, done in very different styles, with completely different plots and characterizations. But the comic is also quite a good read, at least the first two volumes. After that I didn't like the direction it took. It's a bit weird though and not to everyone's liking.

Old Post Jun 28th, 2015 03:34 PM
basilisk is currently offline Click here to Send basilisk a Private Message Find more posts by basilisk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

i started to read v1 and never quite got around to finishing it. i had seen the movie first and so, was...taken a bit aback by the series. i'll likely finish reading it at some point this summer.

anyway, another writer crossing over (or should i say returning to tv) is christos gage--he of spider island fame. he'll be doing some writing for daredevil on netflix. i was a HUGE fan of that show in the first season. season 2 sounds like it will be even better...

Old Post Jun 28th, 2015 05:40 PM
Q99

Re: comic book writers in TV, etc...

John Rogers of Blue Beetle and a great D&D comic at IDW, also co-created Jackie Chan Adventures, did the unaired (but net-circulated) pilot for Global Frequency, and most famously created and executive produced Leverage

Old Post Jun 29th, 2015 03:35 AM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

thumb up will check some of that out.

Old Post Jun 29th, 2015 04:25 PM