KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Gears of Wars 4

Gears of Wars 4
Started by: Arachnid1

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

@3:10 is when the fun stuff happens.

Thanks Scythe for the sig.

Last edited by Nemesis X on Apr 17th, 2016 at 03:26 PM

Old Post Apr 17th, 2016 03:22 PM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Has anyone really felt anything for the single player as of late? This year's Gears 4 E3 presentation didn't exactly wow me like Gears 2 and 3's did in the past. Not sure whether the franchise has spoiled me or its flare was gone the moment Epic Games left.

Hopefully things will improve in the months to come before release. Really do want it to be good.

Last edited by Nemesis X on Jun 27th, 2016 at 02:43 AM

Old Post Jun 27th, 2016 02:29 AM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I can see where you are coming from. The section they showed this year didn't really wow me. However, I would agree that it does look very similar to the first Gears which I know is what they are trying to accomplish.

Old Post Jun 27th, 2016 12:16 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

The only Gears single player I liked was 2, so gears has never been very good on that front. 1 was passable and 3 was outright trash. This one looks like an improvement IMO.

PWNT

Old Post Jun 27th, 2016 09:27 PM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

I'd agree with 3 being the worst in that area if not for RAAM'S Shadow...

This looks like one of those games to possibly wait awhile on getting depending on impressions by the time of release.

Old Post Jun 27th, 2016 09:58 PM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
I'd agree with 3 being the worst in that area if not for RAAM'S Shadow...

This looks like one of those games to possibly wait awhile on getting depending on impressions by the time of release.
I'd agree if it wasn't for the multiplayer. I played the beta so much with my bud that I made it to level 50. I had a ton of fun, so that makes it worth it to me

PWNT

Old Post Jun 27th, 2016 10:08 PM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Originally posted by Smasandian
I can see where you are coming from. The section they showed this year didn't really wow me. However, I would agree that it does look very similar to the first Gears which I know is what they are trying to accomplish.

Most notable for me from Gears 1 was the ambience of some of the levels in the game like the Jacinto prison and the Imulsion factory. I like that part in 4 they showed where JD and Kait were in this ghost town, dark with the quiet wind blowing in the background and they get trapped later in a building with only these alien pods offering light. But then you see the updated version of that same ghost town in 2016 without the darkness, removing the creepiness and therefore that feeling like you're playing Gears 1 IMO.

Last edited by Nemesis X on Jun 27th, 2016 at 10:48 PM

Old Post Jun 27th, 2016 10:38 PM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Yeah, that's what I remember about Gears 1. It felt small but it's what made the game incredibly intense. My favourite moments was fighting off attacking Locusts at the gas station, or avoiding the dark areas so you didn't get slice to death. Or the gas pumping station in the tunnels. All that shit was awesome.

I thought Gears 2 what completely in a different area and I thought it was definitely the weakest of the bunch. Gears 3 I thought was really, really good and I don't understand the hate for it. It had a lot of great moments and fighting the immulsion-Locusts was different enough. It also had that great level where you walk through a bombed out city was a pretty good idea.

Old Post Jun 28th, 2016 03:29 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

At first, it bothered me [SPOILER - highlight to read]: the new enemy faction you'll be facing is going to be robots built by the COG but when you think about it, we did have Jack and considering how many people died during the original Gears trilogy, a robot army would make a good substitute when the population of your species is at an all time low.

Old Post Aug 25th, 2016 03:17 AM
Zack Fair
Fanboy

I liked all 3 Gears equally.

Will still not get this.

Many thanks to Rao Kal-EL Da Man

Old Post Aug 25th, 2016 05:06 PM
Zack Fair is currently offline Click here to Send Zack Fair a Private Message Find more posts by Zack Fair Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Sorta still on the fence whether to get it or not. One thing's for sure though: I'm not buying the season pass. I mean look at this!

quote:
VIP Vintage Pack -- Vintage JD character skin, vintage Gnasher and Dropshot weapon skins, vintage JD emblem, and vintage JD bounty that gives you extra XP.
•Permanent DLC map ownership for 24-plus maps -- At least two per month for 12 months for private play on dedicated servers.
•Developer Playlist -- This lets you play upcoming modes, maps, and variants before they are released publicly.
•Six Gear Packs -- These let you unlock character and weapon skins, as well as equipment and abilities, along with bounties that offer extra XP.

For $50, you get early access to maps and modes you're gonna get for free anyways so it's pointless. WTF is Microsoft smoking?

Old Post Aug 29th, 2016 10:39 AM
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

And here I thought they were learning a thing or two with Halo 5 and all its free content. Guess that was all 343.

Old Post Aug 29th, 2016 09:50 PM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Originally posted by Nemesis X
Sorta still on the fence whether to get it or not. One thing's for sure though: I'm not buying the season pass. I mean look at this!

For $50, you get early access to maps and modes you're gonna get for free anyways so it's pointless. WTF is Microsoft smoking?

Yeah, I'm surprised by that content. It's going to microtransaction route instead of 2-3 significant pieces of content.

I'm not sure if it's good or bad. On one hand, it's basically garbage but the other, you are not losing anything that important.

For instance, you get the maps for free on a rotating basis but you can pay to be able to play them privately. It's kind of lame but it doesn't remove the ability to play them.

Old Post Aug 30th, 2016 03:16 AM
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Old Post Sep 1st, 2016 06:37 PM
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Not sure how I'm supposed to feel about there being classes in a Gears horde mode. I liked the one back in 3. 4's looks like a wannabe Team Fortress 2.

Old Post Sep 1st, 2016 08:39 PM
Arachnid1

I actually really like the idea

It looks cool

PWNT

Old Post Sep 1st, 2016 09:01 PM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Originally posted by Nemesis X
Not sure how I'm supposed to feel about there being classes in a Gears horde mode. I liked the one back in 3. 4's looks like a wannabe Team Fortress 2.

I'm guessing you have played Team Fortress but that does not look like Team Fortress.

It looks like there is a bigger building element than previous games.

Old Post Sep 1st, 2016 11:43 PM
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

I might've posted too soon. Was tired and didn't think clearly at the time but looking back, it looks alright. To actually place your defenses anywhere on the map is a definite improvement. Just gotta pray the microtransactions don't spoil Horde Mode because there's actually enhancements you can unlock from Gear Packs for your character. Thankfully the Coalition confirmed they can't be used in Versus Multiplayer. I would've drawn the line there if that happened.

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2016 10:11 AM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Yeah, it is.

I wonder how all the classes works. For instance, is the Engineer the only one you can build defenses? Or can there be multiple people of the same class? Can they be changed on the whim?

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2016 12:13 PM
RadZoa

Day 1, and I like the Class system because it creates a team dynamic. Someone may want to roll Sniper but someone else may roll engineer so they can get a discount on fortifications such as turrets. It makes it where everyone fulfills a roll so even if you're not good at combat you can still hang back and repair your fortifications

This is actually a very good design choice as it gives everyone a roll to play.

Old Post Sep 5th, 2016 09:53 PM
RadZoa is currently offline Click here to Send RadZoa a Private Message Find more posts by RadZoa Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote