KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Final Fantasy VII Remake

Final Fantasy VII Remake
Started by: AuraAngel

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (16): « First ... « 13 14 [15] 16 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Impediment
Endless

The dance sequence with timed button pressing was beyond gay, but fun.

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Apr 14th, 2020 02:20 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Impediment
The dance sequence with timed button pressing was beyond gay, but fun.

Taking things from Sid Meier's Pirates!!, I see.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Apr 14th, 2020 03:28 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Guys, please use spoiler tags.

As far as the ending goes, I don't mind the overall idea of it. I think the execution was not great, though.

Also, does anyone know how you affect who you get in your part in the final battle? I had Aerith and Tifa, but I heard you can have Barret instead?

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Last edited by -Pr- on Apr 15th, 2020 at 05:18 PM

Old Post Apr 15th, 2020 04:34 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

I'm really hoping that the future installments will be yearly, like the LOTR movies did in theaters.

Old Post Apr 15th, 2020 11:21 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

Originally posted by -Pr-
Also, does anyone know how you affect who you get in your part in the final battle? I had Aerith and Tifa, but I heard you can have Barret instead?

I had Tifa and Barret with me in the final fight.

What pisses me off is that there was no [SPOILER - highlight to read]: All materia in the entire f*cking game, not to mention that [SPOILER - highlight to read]: Red XIII was, basically, an NPC.

Old Post Apr 15th, 2020 11:27 PM
ares834

Magnify is basically the all materia. When linked with another materia, it gives it a large AOE albeit at the cost of some power.

Old Post Apr 16th, 2020 12:39 AM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Impediment
I had Tifa and Barret with me in the final fight.

What pisses me off is that there was no [SPOILER - highlight to read]: All materia in the entire f*cking game, not to mention that [SPOILER - highlight to read]: Red XIII was, basically, an NPC.

Interesting.

Also:

Originally posted by ares834
Magnify is basically the all materia. When linked with another materia, it gives it a large AOE albeit at the cost of some power.

Yep, this exactly. As you level it up the diminishing returns get smaller too.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Apr 16th, 2020 02:46 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

Interesting.

I'll have to level up Magnify on my NG+ run.

Old Post Apr 16th, 2020 03:05 AM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Just be wary. When used offensively, it has a max range, so try to hit enemies that are relatively close together, or are parts of the same monster like a boss with various parts. Used with cure or barrier, it doesn't seem to have a max range that I can see.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Apr 16th, 2020 11:30 PM
cdtm

Sounds like me and the Chocobo Materia.

Wandered around for hours catching NOTHING, gave up on it, and nearly smacked myself when someone asked years later "Did you level it?:

Right. You have to LEVEL materia.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Apr 16th, 2020 11:51 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by cdtm
Sounds like me and the Chocobo Materia.

Wandered around for hours catching NOTHING, gave up on it, and nearly smacked myself when someone asked years later "Did you level it?:

Right. You have to LEVEL materia.

Chocobo Lure? Or something else?

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Apr 18th, 2020 02:34 AM
cdtm

Originally posted by -Pr-
Chocobo Lure? Or something else?

Yeah, the lure.

Was marching up and down footprinted areas, rarely got a bite over hours, and never managed to catch one.

Not like you really need Knights of the Rounds anyways, even against the super bosses.

Old Post Apr 18th, 2020 01:23 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Yeah, the lure.

Was marching up and down footprinted areas, rarely got a bite over hours, and never managed to catch one.

Not like you really need Knights of the Rounds anyways, even against the super bosses.

Huh, strange. I used the default one not three weeks ago and I had a chocobo within 15 mins.

==

On my second run of the Remake, and I find myself loving it more and more. It is so, so good. And arguably one of my favourite games of the last few years, if not ever.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Apr 18th, 2020 07:31 PM
Trocity
Undefeated and Undisputed

I ended up buying this the other day. This game plays like a real time turn based game if that makes sense. The enemies seem to largely focus on the character you are controlling, and the characters you aren't controlling pretty much just block and do nothing. You have to switch between all your characters constantly and get spells and abilities off and then switch again as the aggro shifts to that character.

It almost is turn based in a way

Old Post Apr 18th, 2020 09:30 PM
Trocity is currently offline Click here to Send Trocity a Private Message Find more posts by Trocity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

My only issue with it is that the AI knows as soon as you switch, so in some fights, you say, switch to Aerith, but can't get a move off because the AI has seen the switch and reacted.

Waiting until the selected character actually does something other than a basic attack would be better imo.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Apr 19th, 2020 06:41 PM
cdtm

So what; does it play like Dragon Age Origins?

The 360 version has the switching thing. Not so sure about the AI focus on who you control though.

Old Post Apr 19th, 2020 09:06 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

So what; does it play like Dragon Age Origins?

The 360 version has the switching thing. Not so sure about the AI focus on who you control though.

To an extent. All your basic attacks are done in real time. But when you build up what's called an ATB bar (most "special moves" cost one, some cost 2 of 2), you can bring up your special move/magic list. When you do this, the game slows to a crawl. Not completely stopped like dragon age, but slow enough that for the most part there's no functional difference.

And dragon age still functions on an aggro system whereas FFVII doesn't.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Apr 19th, 2020 09:32 PM
johncarner

A Best Buy was having an early launch event today for FFVII and I was able to get the only Deluxe copy unreserved!

Old Post Apr 21st, 2020 10:21 AM
johncarner is currently offline Click here to Send johncarner a Private Message Find more posts by johncarner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by johncarner
A Best Buy was having an early launch event today for FFVII and I was able to get the only Deluxe copy unreserved!

Noice.

==

So, as much as I love the game (I can even excuse parts of the ending), there is one really, really scummy thing that Square did. Right, so:

In the game, there is, naturally, summon materia. Anyone who's played Final Fantasy knows what I'm talking about. Big giant monsters, most of the time representing an element, will do a big attack on an enemy.

In the Remake, these summons are a little different in how they function. I'll use Ifrit as an example, as he's generally pretty well-known.

WARNING, SPOILERS FROM HERE ON OUT.

YOU'VE BEEN WARNED.

In-game, in most boss fights, either the fight will drag on or you'll lose a bunch of health, and a summon bar will appear on your screen. Survive until this bar fills up, and the person who has Ifrit's materia equipped can summon him. Ifrit (like the other summons in game) basically becomes a fourth party member, running around smacking the boss with fire based attacks for a limited time. He has two special moves that you can use your ATB charges on, and when his time runs out, he uses an Ultimate Attack called Hellfire.

Pretty straightfoward so far, right?

With the Digital Deluxe edition of the game, you also got three DLC summons. These are Chocobo Chick, Cactuar and Carbuncle. I was initially okay with them because they weren't in the original game, so were very much extras.

Then I played the game using them.

All three can be summoned in almost any fight, if you're struggling enough. Yes, even against fodder enemies (maybe that rocket turret is giving you a hard time and you don't have thunder equipped, etc). The trade-off is that, at least in the case of Cactuar and Chocobo Chick, they don't output the kind of damage someone like Ifrit does, that I've seen. They're not useless, and their Ultimate Attacks are decent, but they're not going to be the kind of nuke another summon might be.

Then there's Carbuncle. Like Chocobo Chick and Cactuar, it can be summoned in most fights if you're struggling enough. Where Carbuncle differs, though, is that Carbuncle is not an offensive materia. It's a support one. It comes with three abilities you can cast using your ATB, and will randomly heal you if you're on red, or barrier you if you take a lot of damage. That in itself isn't too bad.

The Ultimate Attack, though? Upon running out of time, Carbuncle casts a move called "Diamond Dazzle". If you're not dead, this is a full heal, regardless of HP total. And, if you are dead? It brings you back to life at half HP. It's ridiculously OP, and it's DLC. Literally P2W, because Carbuncle can, and will if you use it, turn entire battles around with one cast.

Struggling against Jenova with only a few hundred HP left? Cast Carbuncle and watch that problem disappear.

The only counterbalance is that you can only summon once per fight. As in, only one cast of a summon materia per fight, as far as I can tell.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Apr 29th, 2020 05:49 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

So at the State of Play on Thursday they announced a PS5 Upgrade (free to owners of the PS4 version) that will fix load times, textures and lighting. They also showed off the DLC that would be coming out: It's a chapter where you get to play as Yuffie and some Wutai people... and it's a PS5 exclusive. I think that's kinda, if not really dodgy tbh. The game came out on PS4. Put even a scaled down version on PS4.

But no, the console that is nigh impossible to get right now is getting dlc for a game that came out on PS4.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Feb 27th, 2021 08:43 PM