KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » unloading comics....

unloading comics....
Started by: leonidas

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

unloading comics....

this topic may not net a bunch of responses, but i am curious--i know some of you have pretty extensive collections. do any of you own or run your own comic shops? have any of you ever tried unloading a full collection (i mean have any of you tried SELLING your collections)? i'm in the midst of attempting to do so. i've somewhere between 5-6000 books. they start in the late 70s, move through the 80s, 90s and well into the 2000s before my collecting days petered out maybe...7-8 years ago. i've some exceptional highlights (ff #'s 48-50, ironman #1, ss v1 #1, cap v1 #100, hulk 180, 181, etc....) but...i'm having trouble moving the books. i really want to get rid of the whole collection en masse. anyone tried doing this? anyone had success?? anyone know where i could look??? just curious about the experiences of others in this area.

Old Post Jun 28th, 2015 05:46 PM
leonidas is currently offline Click here to Send leonidas a Private Message Find more posts by leonidas Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Squirrel Fart

I tried to sell a few of my kinda rare comics, and they offered peanuts for them. They all want comics from the early 70's or order, anything newer than early 70's is worth nothing. I know the owner of a comic book shop, we are friends. I tried selling this one, but I didn't.

(please log in to view the image)

Last edited by Squirrel Fart on Jun 28th, 2015 at 06:06 PM

Old Post Jun 28th, 2015 05:55 PM
Squirrel Fart is currently offline Click here to Send Squirrel Fart a Private Message Find more posts by Squirrel Fart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Squirrel Fart

This is the stuff the comic book stores want.

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Jun 28th, 2015 06:03 PM
Squirrel Fart is currently offline Click here to Send Squirrel Fart a Private Message Find more posts by Squirrel Fart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

No ideas, just some empathy for your situation. I was moving and wanted to unload a decent portion of my collection. It was all too modern to be worth much, so I dumped probably 500 issues of random things before the move.

Granted, I still have the majority of my original collection, and it's the stuff that is at least a little more specific (books I followed for years instead of random issues). But I suppose at some point I'll either donate most of it as well, give them away to collectors for basically free, or throw them out.

Old Post Jun 29th, 2015 03:23 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scoobless
sselboocS

Don't "dump" anything ... at least give them to a charity store or something. When I helped my folks move house I gave away like a hundred old books (not comics) to one of those stores for free.

On the other side, I got started reading comics when my cousin gave me his entire collection of 80's transformers comics when I was 5. That was the first time I read anything just because I wanted to, it really helped my vocabulary at the time as well... I remember asking my dad what "insane" meant (was in reference to Megatron) he picked up a dictionary, showed me how to check words and just left it with me.

So yeah, if you don't have younger relatives, maybe your friends do, just don't dump them.

Do you even KMC???

Old Post Jun 30th, 2015 03:42 AM
Scoobless is currently offline Click here to Send Scoobless a Private Message Find more posts by Scoobless Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Nobody wants to buy this crap, leo.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Jun 30th, 2015 04:05 AM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

the interwebs and downloading have corrupted you.

Old Post Jun 30th, 2015 06:08 PM
leonidas is currently offline Click here to Send leonidas a Private Message Find more posts by leonidas Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

so...got $4500 for them. sold to a collector who lives close to me. not what i was hoping for, but a decent enough deal. but it was harder to get rid of them then i thought... sad

Old Post Jul 4th, 2015 11:21 PM
Squirrel Fart

Congrats Leo. thumb up

Old Post Jul 5th, 2015 12:07 AM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Is it much less than you were hoping?

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Jul 5th, 2015 12:10 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

well, it is now. turns out one of the major books (hulk 181) was missing the stamp that i...didn't even know existed. so i had to return $1000. sad

still, not all terrible i guess. i wish i could have gotten more, but comics are sooo damn hard to get rid of. you either try selling them piecemeal (then all you're left with after months of effort is crap) or...you take what someone is willing to give you. i don't think i made out terrible, even given the hulk issue. but you always hope for more.... i do have some space freed up in my house though. thumb up

Old Post Jul 7th, 2015 07:10 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Why didn't you tell the buyer to pound sand? He bought the collection as-is. F*ck refunds.

Old Post Jul 7th, 2015 08:03 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

i know, i know....could ahve, maybe should have. but he bought the book under the impression it was complete, so..... sad

Old Post Jul 8th, 2015 11:30 PM
Endless Mike
Sqirrel Girl fanboy

There are some issues I need to complete my respect thread that I can't find... I might be interested if you have them

Sig by Starlock

Old Post Jul 8th, 2015 11:49 PM
Endless Mike is currently offline Click here to Send Endless Mike a Private Message Find more posts by Endless Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

quote: (post)
Originally posted by leonidas
i know, i know....could ahve, maybe should have. but he bought the book under the impression it was complete, so..... sad
You're too nice irl.

Old Post Jul 9th, 2015 02:44 AM
Badabing
Karen

this topic may not net a bunch of responses, but i am curious--i know some of you have pretty extensive collections. do any of you own or run your own comic shops? have any of you ever tried unloading a full collection (i mean have any of you tried SELLING your collections)? i'm in the midst of attempting to do so. i've somewhere between 5-6000 books. they start in the late 70s, move through the 80s, 90s and well into the 2000s before my collecting days petered out maybe...7-8 years ago. i've some exceptional highlights (ff #'s 48-50, ironman #1, ss v1 #1, cap v1 #100, hulk 180, 181, etc....) but...i'm having trouble moving the books. i really want to get rid of the whole collection en masse. anyone tried doing this? anyone had success?? anyone know where i could look??? just curious about the experiences of others in this area.
I just gave away most of my comics last month. I believe there were 38 boxes and I gave away 37. I was going to donate them but happened to run into a person who overheard me talking about the donation.

I was going to try and sell them but the logistics, and expense, of shipping that many boxes was too much.

You've just been Trump'd!

Official pimp of Steverules

Sig by Steve Rules

Old Post Jul 9th, 2015 03:22 AM
Badabing is currently offline Click here to Send Badabing a Private Message Find more posts by Badabing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

well, it is now. turns out one of the major books (hulk 181) was missing the stamp that i...didn't even know existed. so i had to return $1000. sad

still, not all terrible i guess. i wish i could have gotten more, but comics are sooo damn hard to get rid of. you either try selling them piecemeal (then all you're left with after months of effort is crap) or...you take what someone is willing to give you. i don't think i made out terrible, even given the hulk issue. but you always hope for more.... i do have some space freed up in my house though. thumb up

...Shit.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Jul 9th, 2015 03:23 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gadabout

Well this is somewhat off topic, but I had a fairly large collection starting from the early to mid 70's through the early nineties. I started reading/buying/collecting around '79 up till bout 93 when I got married (women just don't understand-lol).
But the bulk of my collection I had boxed and left home when I left for the wide world back in '86
. I went home for Thanksgiving the year I was married and to my horror two of my nephews had gone through and basically destroyed my entire collection along with hundreds of albums I had also stored away.
That pretty much killed my desire to continue collecting and I was being harassed about what I had with me at our apartment-so holding onto them was a problem. I never bothered with trying to sale any-I gave most of them away

Old Post Jul 15th, 2015 01:07 PM
Gadabout is currently offline Click here to Send Gadabout a Private Message Find more posts by Gadabout Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Facee
Lord of Pretty

Anybody interested in 10 hard drives full of DL comics? Entire collections Superman, Spiderman, SS, you name it , its there.

stick out tongue

I would never give that away evil face

Old Post Jul 15th, 2015 02:19 PM
Facee is currently offline Click here to Send Facee a Private Message Find more posts by Facee Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

Originally posted by Badabing
I just gave away most of my comics last month. I believe there were 38 boxes and I gave away 37. I was going to donate them but happened to run into a person who overheard me talking about the donation.

I was going to try and sell them but the logistics, and expense, of shipping that many boxes was too much.

geez....

Old Post Jul 15th, 2015 05:31 PM