KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Amazing Spider-man relaunch

Amazing Spider-man relaunch
Started by: JayDaDon

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
BruhMan
World Champion

Amazing Spider-man relaunch

Turns out theyre relaunching amazing Spider-man starring Peter Parker while Miles Morales is getting the "Spider-man" title. What has me really interested is Peter continues to reach for the stars with his scientific/engineering success and he'll be pretty much a full on entrepeneur, while outfitting Spider-man with all kinds of tech. This is a story that REALLY needed to be explored at some point, glad its on the way.

http://m.ca.ign.com/articles/2015/0...-goes-high-tech

Old Post Jul 1st, 2015 05:12 AM
BruhMan is currently offline Click here to Send BruhMan a Private Message Find more posts by BruhMan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

I want to be disappointed, but my reasons why would hoist me up by my own petard to an extent.

Mainstream companies are all about the status quo. So it's easy to talk about the "illusion of change" in comics in a negative light. I'm among those people who have said as much. But then when things change, there are people who are upset. Often the same people that decried the lack of change.

It doesn't sound like Parker is anything like old Pete. It sounds much more like a reboot than a natural progression, even with some of the things they've had him doing in recent years. They're basically handing the Spidey persona to Miles, and rebooting Parker into a slightly goofier Iron Man. So I don't like it. But it's an attempt to actually progress the character, while giving fans what they loved about Spider-Man originally, so...

Meh. I'm getting old anyway. I'm going to start pretending mainstream comics ended in about 2009, and I should be good.

Old Post Jul 1st, 2015 04:15 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Come on Digi, you can certainly see this is an excuse to push the Spider-mobile into mainstream continuity. For that reason alone this makes sense for everyone in the world!

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Jul 1st, 2015 06:33 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blockythe1guy

So Peter is going to be a better tony stark? That's weird.

Old Post Jul 1st, 2015 10:57 PM
Blockythe1guy is currently offline Click here to Send Blockythe1guy a Private Message Find more posts by Blockythe1guy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruhMan
World Champion

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Digi
I want to be disappointed, but my reasons why would hoist me up by my own petard to an extent.

Mainstream companies are all about the status quo. So it's easy to talk about the "illusion of change" in comics in a negative light. I'm among those people who have said as much. But then when things change, there are people who are upset. Often the same people that decried the lack of change.

It doesn't sound like Parker is anything like old Pete. It sounds much more like a reboot than a natural progression, even with some of the things they've had him doing in recent years. They're basically handing the Spidey persona to Miles, and rebooting Parker into a slightly goofier Iron Man. So I don't like it. But it's an attempt to actually progress the character, while giving fans what they loved about Spider-Man originally, so...

Meh. I'm getting old anyway. I'm going to start pretending mainstream comics ended in about 2009, and I should be good.

We dont know that they're changing Peter's personality. Fans complain when He never lived up to his potential, now we're finally about to see just how much he can do with that potential realized and they complain again. There is pretty much no perfect status quo for Parker but this one can be a real fun ride.

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2015 01:20 AM
BruhMan is currently offline Click here to Send BruhMan a Private Message Find more posts by BruhMan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by Bentley
Come on Digi, you can certainly see this is an excuse to push the Spider-mobile into mainstream continuity. For that reason alone this makes sense for everyone in the world!

Lol. You make a valid point with the Spider-mobile. How can you not love bringing back that idiotic 80's ploy to sell more toys?

thumb up

Originally posted by JayDaDon
We dont know that they're changing Peter's personality. Fans complain when He never lived up to his potential, now we're finally about to see just how much he can do with that potential realized and they complain again. There is pretty much no perfect status quo for Parker but this one can be a real fun ride.

Potentially. It'll rest with the execution. It's just...Peter Parker, but not based primarily in New York. It just feels weird, like they'd have to alter his personality to make this new persona believable. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2015 04:56 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SamZED

I don't get it.. Is current ASM still going to be in continuity or not?

Azula: My mommy didn't love me so I'm going to burn down your village.

Old Post Jul 6th, 2015 10:28 AM
SamZED is currently offline Click here to Send SamZED a Private Message Find more posts by SamZED Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruhMan
World Champion

Its going to be part of the post Secret wars continuity

Old Post Jul 6th, 2015 05:57 PM
krisblaze

Digi, its still better than peter working as a chemistry teacher at some ****ing noname highschool!

Thanks Estacado

Old Post Jul 6th, 2015 06:18 PM
krisblaze is currently offline Click here to Send krisblaze a Private Message Find more posts by krisblaze Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruhMan
World Champion

Or the Bugle. Reading Slott's work on Spider-man there's been an underlying theme of Peter realizing his true potential. It started ALL the way back in Big time. It baffles me why so many fans are blindsided by this. This is the natural progression of Slott's story.

Old Post Jul 6th, 2015 07:18 PM
Digi
Forum Leader

Or the Bugle. Reading Slott's work on Spider-man there's been an underlying theme of Peter realizing his true potential. It started ALL the way back in Big time. It baffles me why so many fans are blindsided by this. This is the natural progression of Slott's story.

It's not so much that. Yes, utilizing his potential is/was fine. But even during Big Time, he was a science nerd with a solitary lab to work on his stuff. He rubbed his coworkers and boss the wrong way, hid stuff from everyone, etc. He wasn't Tony Stark, flying around the world and running a corporation.

If there is a heart to the character that is Peter Parker, it's that he's always a little bit alone. His identity is secret, those close to him get hurt, he's ostracized by the media, family, lovers, fellow heroes, the iconic "Parker luck" that follows him around, etc. There was brilliance and confidence, but a self-doubt, guilt, and loneliness beneath it that made every sacrifice more poignant. People forget that it was YEARS before he ever broke down and joined the Avengers. I think it didn't happen until well after 2000. And his Civil War unmasking was so huge because it was the exact opposite of what he had been about for decades. Not doing that kind of stuff was an intrinsic part of his character.

I can see Peter becoming an established scientist with global connections to battle bigger threats. I can't see him being a new Tony Stark, head of an international corporation.

So I'll throw you a bone and say that some of it is a natural progression of his character, and Slott's story. But with the rest, it will lie with execution. Because it feels like a departure, while they slide the core of the character over to Miles.

Last edited by Digi on Jul 6th, 2015 at 08:34 PM

Old Post Jul 6th, 2015 08:31 PM
SamZED

Its going to be part of the post Secret wars continuity
And post SW is a different continuity? I've been out of the loop for a couple of months.

Azula: My mommy didn't love me so I'm going to burn down your village.

Old Post Jul 6th, 2015 08:57 PM
SamZED is currently offline Click here to Send SamZED a Private Message Find more posts by SamZED Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by SamZED
And post SW is a different continuity? I've been out of the loop for a couple of months.

They'll likely spin it oddly. But yes, it's looking like a different continuity. Ultimate and 616 merged, various other changes happening, the X-Men on a different planet, or different universe, or something like that.

There's a chance Pete will retain his pre-Secret Wars continuity, since he was one of the ones unaffected by the Battleworld changes (he was on the "life raft" that Reed, T'Challa, and some others made). So I guess that's the only bastion of hope for those hoping to retain a connection to the old stuff. That or it flops and they reset everything in a few years.

Old Post Jul 7th, 2015 02:44 AM
BruhMan
World Champion

Originally posted by Digi
It's not so much that. Yes, utilizing his potential is/was fine. But even during Big Time, he was a science nerd with a solitary lab to work on his stuff. He rubbed his coworkers and boss the wrong way, hid stuff from everyone, etc. He wasn't Tony Stark, flying around the world and running a corporation.

If there is a heart to the character that is Peter Parker, it's that he's always a little bit alone. His identity is secret, those close to him get hurt, he's ostracized by the media, family, lovers, fellow heroes, the iconic "Parker luck" that follows him around, etc. There was brilliance and confidence, but a self-doubt, guilt, and loneliness beneath it that made every sacrifice more poignant. People forget that it was YEARS before he ever broke down and joined the Avengers. I think it didn't happen until well after 2000. And his Civil War unmasking was so huge because it was the exact opposite of what he had been about for decades. Not doing that kind of stuff was an intrinsic part of his character.

I can see Peter becoming an established scientist with global connections to battle bigger threats. I can't see him being a new Tony Stark, head of an international corporation.

So I'll throw you a bone and say that some of it is a natural progression of his character, and Slott's story. But with the rest, it will lie with execution. Because it feels like a departure, while they slide the core of the character over to Miles.

I doubt he's going to be like Tony Stark at all except for money. Gadgets he's always excelled at considering he dropped a spider tracer on the extremis armor and the armor failed to detect it. Scary shit. His tech game honestly SHOULD be through the roof. I see it more of him being just amazed and romanced by the new lifestyle. If written correctly, we readers can go on the journey of watching Peter, for the first time...EVER, play with all the privileges of having a lot of money. I really think its gonna be a fish out of water experience for most of it. Basically, we won't know if the character has changed until we read it. A character's situation and circumstances can change without changing the character.

Old Post Jul 7th, 2015 06:19 AM