KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » Kas'im vs. Shaak Ti

Kas'im vs. Shaak Ti
Started by: carthage

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (15): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Selenial
and even George Lucas himself.

lolwut. I doubt Lucas knew anything more than the overall plot of that game.

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2015 10:08 PM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Selenial
I Choose Violence

Originally posted by DarthAnt66
lolwut. I doubt Lucas knew anything more than the overall plot of that game.

The guy in the interview literally says he went through Lucas

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2015 10:09 PM
Click here to Send Selenial a Private Message Find more posts by Selenial Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

The guy in the interview literally says he went through Lucas

That doesn't contradict what I said at all... erm

The notion Lucas was a major player in developing the game is lolworthy.

He wasn't even notified that Luke Skywalker had a ****ing son.

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2015 10:12 PM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Selenial
I Choose Violence

That doesn't contradict what I said at all... erm

The notion Lucas was a major player in developing the game is lolworthy.

He wasn't even notified that Luke Skywalker had a ****ing son.

And who ever said he had a major role in developing it?

He merely OK'd it, and I'm guessing this ridiculous "hyping up the force" nonsense was in their pitch thumb up

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2015 10:15 PM
Click here to Send Selenial a Private Message Find more posts by Selenial Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

And who ever said he had a major role in developing it?

He merely OK'd it, and I'm guessing this ridiculous "hyping up the force" nonsense was in their pitch thumb up

Pretty terrible assumption. They wouldn't pitch something that would put up a red flag for him to veto the idea.

"Oh and we are going to have him throwing Star Destroyers, beating Darth Vader, and maybe the Emperor too!"

...yeah no.

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2015 10:17 PM
Selenial
I Choose Violence

Pretty terrible assumption. They wouldn't pitch something that would put up a red flag for him to veto the idea.

"Oh and we are going to have him throwing Star Destroyers, beating Darth Vader, and maybe the Emperor too!"

...yeah no.

So what you're saying is the game developers lied to Lucas, lied to his story board, covered it up until the Game released and by that point he couldn't do anything about it.

Then they somehow managed to get a second game with the guy.

And my assumption is terrible...

k

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2015 10:18 PM
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

So what you're saying is the game developers lied to Lucas, lied to his story board, covered it up until the Game released and by that point he couldn't do anything about it.

Then they somehow managed to get a second game with the guy.

And my assumption is terrible...

k

It's not much of a lie as it is not outlining the entire premise of the game. erm

What, you expect every video game / novelization they give to Lucas is a complete read through of the plot?

And you call Neph crazy... laughing laughing laughing

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2015 10:20 PM
Selenial
I Choose Violence

It's not much of a lie as it is not outlining the entire premise of the game. erm

What, you expect every video game / novelization they give to Lucas is a complete read through of the plot?

And you call Neph crazy... laughing laughing laughing

Rofl, again asking where I said Lucas had anywhere near that level of envolvment. The fact of the matter is the general storyline was put passed him and he accepted.

He still has a dedicated storyboard developed to sort that sort of thing. At the very least Chee and his team were aware of it.

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2015 10:24 PM
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Rofl, again asking where I said Lucas had anywhere near that level of envolvment. The fact of the matter is the general storyline was put passed him and he accepted.

Well you threw his name around as if it mattered in the grand scene of things. It obviously doesn't - and I hate when people try to win a point by inserting "Lucas" into their argument.

He still has a dedicated storyboard developed to sort that sort of thing. At the very least Chee and his team were aware of it.

Nothing of this has anything to do with you mentioning Lucas. laughing out loud

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2015 10:25 PM
Selenial
I Choose Violence

Well you threw his name around as if it mattered in the grand scene of things. It obviously doesn't - and I hate when people try to win a point by inserting "Lucas" into their argument.

Nothing of this has anything to do with you mentioning Lucas. laughing out loud

So basically you're conceding? Because none of what I said was actually incorrect, you just assumed I was making an argument that I was not, and looked the fool because of it.

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2015 10:31 PM
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

How is that a concession, lmfao? I specifically quoted:

quote:
and even George Lucas himself.

Intentionally leaving out stuff in regards to the storyboard team. It's not quite a victory when there was never a battle to be fought in the first place, my dear.

You have no rebuttal suggesting he was informed into the plot in anyway that makes it relevant to your argument against Neph, and rather can only confirm "the general storyline" - if even that much.

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2015 10:35 PM
Selenial
I Choose Violence

How is that a concession, lmfao? I specifically quoted:

Intentionally leaving out stuff in regards to the storyboard team. It's not quite a victory when there was never a battle to be fought in the first place, my dear.

You have no rebuttal suggesting he was informed into the plot in anyway that makes it relevant to your argument against Neph, and rather can only confirm "the general storyline" - if even that much. [/B]

"So the next step with that was really taking it to George Lucas, because again we were re-imagining something about Star Wars in a very different way, and something key to Star Wars, "the force". So we met with George and showed him that preview video, and he said that would make a great game go make that game."

So like, now's the part where you concede?

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2015 10:40 PM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

So if characters who existed before The Force Unleashed are somehow exempt from this rule, then why isn't Shaak Ti? Either way, the argument that someone wanting to show the force at it's maximum potential invalidates the feat is ludicrous. Why does it matter if the writer wanted to show the Force properly unleashed in a powerful protagonist? That's his choice, it doesn't make the character more less powerful than he is actually shown in the game.

So somehow SWTOR is less exaggeration when it has a supposedly immortal Sith Emperor running around the stage eating planets? Please.

Another example of course is Knights of the Old Republic 2. Chris Avellone thought the ancient Sith could move planets with their abilities and believed them infinitely more powerful than actual sourcebooks would suggest. Just because he believes that doesn't mean "His view of canon is distorted so everyone in KOTOR 2 must be weaker than it's shown in that game."

And to reiterate since apparently you must be told things more than three times, the Novel isn't anywhere near as ridiculous as the game. Not even close. The game is "hyping up the force" or making it out at "absurd" levels in the mechanics where Galen can one shot an AT-ST. In the cutscenes the power levels are normal.

At the end of the day, everything in that game that we see as Canon went through the Lucasarts Story Board, and even George Lucas himself. You cannot call it irrelevant because you do not like it. ****ing grow a pair and deal with it.

I didn't say they were exempt. They (Vader and Sidious) do, however, not actually do anything that different from their other depictions. Mareks feats eclipse theirs by several orders of magnitude, which makes it more absurd when he directly interacts with them. But anyway, irrelevant. They aren't exempt and neither is Shaak Ti. My actual point was that just focusing on powerful characters doesn't fit with the outlined concept of the game and isn't a valid interpretation.

Being powerful isn't a case for exaggeration. Sidious destroying fleets has nothing indicating it's exaggerated and neither does Vitiates feats. With the Force Unleashed though, there is clearly evident evidence for exaggeration. Pointedly, the title itself. Frankly I find it absurd that we can even have this discussion considering how in your face it all is. laughing

If Avellone had managed to get that view solidified in canon then it would be so, until something indicated that it wasn't aligned with the reality of the situation. As it is, Avellone didn't manage that and the Ancient Sith enjoy more conservative levels of ability.

That's completely true. The novel is much more ridiculous than the game. Makes the latter look down-right tame by comparison. I ****ing WISH it was just about Galen Marek one-shotting AT-ST's. In the novel he one-shots an AT-AT! The guy who wrote those two books clearly did so with one hand.

And I have never called it irrelevant. If I did, then I wouldn't be calling this thread a tie, would I? I take the events and put them in context with the rest of the EU. Those people ok-ing the game (and I agree with Ant that I really doubt LUcas paid much attention) don't negate the fact that's it's an exaggerated version of events. Which they signed off on, probably knowing that fact. This doesn't make them false version of events or anything. I still take Marek as a massively powerful Force user as is clearly true. I just put on my skeptical cap about him destroying Skyhooks, disintegrating corvettes and creating hurricanes made up of thousands of battle droids.

Last edited by Nephthys on Jul 23rd, 2015 at 10:46 PM

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2015 10:43 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

"Re-imagining the Force" =/= bringing down Star Destroyers and ragdolling Darth Vader, lmfao.

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2015 10:43 PM
Selenial
I Choose Violence

Originally posted by Nephthys
I didn't say they were exempt. They (Vader and Sidious) do, however, not actually do anything that different from their other depictions. Mareks feats eclipse theirs by several orders of magnitude, which makes it more absurd when he directly interacts with them. But anyway, irrelevant. They aren't exempt and neither is Shaak Ti. My actual point was that just focusing on powerful characters doesn't fit with the outlined concept of the game and isn't a valid interpretation.

Being powerful isn't a case for exaggeration. Sidious destroying fleets has nothing indicating it's exaggerated and neither does Vitiates feats. With the Force Unleashed though, there is clearly evident evidence for exaggeration. Pointedly, the title itself. Frankly I find it absurd that we can even have this discussion considering how in your face it all is. laughing

If Avellone had managed to get that view solidified in canon then it would be so, until something indicated that it wasn't aligned with the reality of the situation. As it is, Avellone didn't manage that and the Ancient Sith enjoy more conservative levels of ability.

That's completely true. The novel is much more ridiculous than the game. Makes the latter look down-right tame by comparison. I ****ing WISH it was just about Galen Marek one-shotting AT-ST's. In the novel he one-shots an AT-AT! The guy who wrote those two books clearly did so with one hand.

And I have never called it irrelevant. If I did, then I wouldn't be calling this thread a tie, would I? I take the events and put them in context with the rest of the EU. Those people ok-ing the game don't negate the fact that's it's an exaggerated version of events. This doesn't make them false version of events or anything. I still take Marek as a massively powerful Force user as is clearly true.

I'm sorry, this post entirely boiled down to "The game is an exaggeration because the title is shit."

Ok. How amazingly in depth and convincing that is.

Galen's feats don't eclipse theirs at all when you actually look at them. He didn't disintegrate a ship in the game like many people think (when charging that gun). He didn't TK a Star Destroyer, he guided it's descent.

I'm still seeing no definitive reason to disregard this. It's canon, learn to deal with it.

Even if you have to deal with it on a character-by-character, case by case basis, what has Shaak Ti done in The Force Unleashed that's so exaggerated it can't be counted?

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2015 10:46 PM
Selenial
I Choose Violence

"Re-imagining the Force" =/= bringing down Star Destroyers and ragdolling Darth Vader, lmfao.

Incorrect. In the same interview he defines the "Re-imagining the Force" as:

"The Force obviously amped up, and out of control, and totally over the top."

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2015 10:48 PM
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

laughing out loud You just defeated yourself there, Sel.

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2015 10:51 PM
Selenial
I Choose Violence

laughing out loud

#StillDoesn'tMakeItNotCanon

#EntirelyChangingTheGoalPosts

#WorthlessExcuseForASon

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2015 10:52 PM
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

It proves it's exaggerated, and shouldn't be taken as face value.

The story is canon, but we must consider that, since the Force is amped, that we should lower all feats to a more appropriate playing field.

So like, instead of Ti dominating a world, it's more like... probably not a world. (please log in to view the image)

quote:
#EntirelyChangingTheGoalPosts

I'll sacrifice a battle to win the war. thumb up

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2015 10:54 PM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry, this post entirely boiled down to "The game is an exaggeration because the title is shit."

Ok. How amazingly in depth and convincing that is.

Galen's feats don't eclipse theirs at all when you actually look at them. He didn't disintegrate a ship in the game like many people think (when charging that gun). He didn't TK a Star Destroyer, he guided it's descent.

I'm still seeing no definitive reason to disregard this. It's canon, learn to deal with it.

Even if you have to deal with it on a character-by-character, case by case basis, what has Shaak Ti done in The Force Unleashed that's so exaggerated it can't be counted?

The title isn't shit, it's just highly indicative of the nature of the game. My argument isn't deep, because the concept is entirely on the surface and having a legitimate discussion about this is like debating about whether Pirates of the Caribbean was about pirates. Gee, I think it just might be!

You're thinking of a different thing. I'm talking about when he rides the corvette through the atmosphere, tanking rain-drops hitting him with the force of concussion bombs and heat like the inside of a star and then smashes the corvette into a million pieces and then the writer got wankers cramp.

No, learn to deal with me not dealing with it.

Well the main thing in TFU is everyone's level relative to Marek. That's the whole crux of the argument isn't it? That Shaak Ti is so good because she was beating a character as powerful as Marek?

Last edited by Nephthys on Jul 23rd, 2015 at 10:57 PM

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2015 10:55 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote