KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Playing Catch up

Playing Catch up
Started by: Cogito

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Cogito

Playing Catch up

So, I've been out of the game for a solid year and a half or so now. Haven't read a damn thing, and only have very general knowledge of what's happened in the interim (Marvel's retelling Secret Wars? Jim Gordon is/was Batman?)

What are the must reads to catch back up? I'm not interested in reading every POS that's come out, just the best arcs and what's necessary to follow the flow going forward.

Interested in Marvel/DC primarily, but open to third parties if highly recommended.

Gracias

"And then there was nothing. A once broken something now void.
And on the first day, Doom spoke...
'Be.'
And then there was life."

Old Post Aug 6th, 2015 11:22 PM
Cogito is currently offline Click here to Send Cogito a Private Message Find more posts by Cogito Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

No, no. You got out. You escaped. Run while you're still free.

Old Post Aug 7th, 2015 02:41 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cogito

Hah, I did.

And it's been good, but I've been a tad bored recently...

'Be.'

Old Post Aug 7th, 2015 09:32 PM
Cogito is currently offline Click here to Send Cogito a Private Message Find more posts by Cogito Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Martian_mind
telepathy+debates+=Pwned

Read IDW, Dark Horse, and if you must read some Marvel, pick up Waid's run on Daredevil.

For the most part, the big two have been pretty terrible.

Old Post Aug 8th, 2015 09:11 AM
Martian_mind is currently offline Click here to Send Martian_mind a Private Message Find more posts by Martian_mind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deadline

Yea I was gonna say you make it sound like getting out is a bad thing. I'm thinking of getting out of the big two.

What's IDW?

Old Post Aug 10th, 2015 12:06 PM
Deadline is currently offline Click here to Send Deadline a Private Message Find more posts by Deadline Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Khazra Reborn
Champion of Midgard

Walter Simonson's Ragnarok is awesome if you're into Myth heavy fantasy stuff.

At Marvel, if you want to read Secret Wars, you should probably start with Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers run. But that's 50+ issues, which is a bit of a chore, but is worth it IMO.

DC has Justice League United which just started a new arc, and fresh jumping on point with issue 11. I'm a big fan of that book, it has an interesting roster that's not just the typical A-Listers. Gotham by Midnight is really good too, it's a supernatural pulp detective series, if you are into that kind of thing.

At Image, Invincible is always top notch, and Spawn just got a new creative team, and fresh jumping on point with issue 251, and I'm enjoying that quite a bit so far.

Besieged by countless foes, his eyes they are aglow, longing for the fight. He stands upon a mound, doesn't aim the throw, just lets the hammer fly!

Old Post Aug 10th, 2015 08:04 PM
Khazra Reborn is currently offline Click here to Send Khazra Reborn a Private Message Find more posts by Khazra Reborn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Martian_mind
telepathy+debates+=Pwned

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Deadline
Yea I was gonna say you make it sound like getting out is a bad thing. I'm thinking of getting out of the big two.

What's IDW?

The company IDW. They have the rights to a lot of tv properties, and what I've read from them is usually top-notch, particularly the Ninja turtles and Transformers.

Old Post Aug 11th, 2015 04:16 AM
Martian_mind is currently offline Click here to Send Martian_mind a Private Message Find more posts by Martian_mind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Endless Mike
Sqirrel Girl fanboy

I heard that IDW's Godzilla comics were sub-par, though

Sig by Starlock

Old Post Aug 11th, 2015 11:18 AM
Endless Mike is currently offline Click here to Send Endless Mike a Private Message Find more posts by Endless Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Khazra Reborn
Champion of Midgard

Godzilla: In Hell is about as awesome as it sounds. It has zero dialogue though, it's wall to wall Godzilla fighting stuff in Hell.

Besieged by countless foes, his eyes they are aglow, longing for the fight. He stands upon a mound, doesn't aim the throw, just lets the hammer fly!

Old Post Aug 11th, 2015 01:02 PM
Khazra Reborn is currently offline Click here to Send Khazra Reborn a Private Message Find more posts by Khazra Reborn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cogito

Originally posted by Khazra Reborn
Walter Simonson's Ragnarok is awesome if you're into Myth heavy fantasy stuff.

At Marvel, if you want to read Secret Wars, you should probably start with Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers run. But that's 50+ issues, which is a bit of a chore, but is worth it IMO.

DC has Justice League United which just started a new arc, and fresh jumping on point with issue 11. I'm a big fan of that book, it has an interesting roster that's not just the typical A-Listers. Gotham by Midnight is really good too, it's a supernatural pulp detective series, if you are into that kind of thing.

At Image, Invincible is always top notch, and Spawn just got a new creative team, and fresh jumping on point with issue 251, and I'm enjoying that quite a bit so far.

Sounds good thumb up

'Be.'

Old Post Aug 11th, 2015 09:51 PM
Endless Mike
Sqirrel Girl fanboy

Godzilla: In Hell is about as awesome as it sounds. It has zero dialogue though, it's wall to wall Godzilla fighting stuff in Hell.

(please log in to view the image)

Sig by Starlock

Old Post Aug 11th, 2015 10:03 PM
Endless Mike is currently offline Click here to Send Endless Mike a Private Message Find more posts by Endless Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deadline

Whats good in Image? Apart from Invincible.

Old Post Aug 11th, 2015 10:08 PM
Deadline is currently offline Click here to Send Deadline a Private Message Find more posts by Deadline Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

The Walking Dead, obviously.

Old Post Aug 11th, 2015 10:54 PM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Whats good in Image? Apart from Invincible.

Saga is a really good epic space opera/romance. Couple on either side of a big war, fell in love, had kid, run from bounty-hunters, in weird universe with fantastic art.

By Brian Vaughn, of Y: The Last Man, Ex Machina, and Runaways, and Fiona Staples, who your eyes will love.

Lazarus by Greg Rucka is another I really love. It's the future, things fell apart, now things are controlled by ultra-rich Families. The families use their technology to enhance a champion, or Lazarus, to be really, really hard to kill, and be the point of their spear, so to speak. Forever Carlyle is the Carlyle family Lazarus, and she's got to deal with internal family bickering, external threats, and questions of her origin. This comic has some great world-building, and makes things seem very real.

It's Greg Rucka, too, and he's pretty much always good- and this is my favorite thing by him.

What's IDW?

They do Transformers and Godzilla and some other licensed things.

Ever since the start of the 'two ongoings' era, IDW transformers has been fantastic. There's a comic, The Death of Optimus Prime (which comes with the Robots in Disguise collection, even though it's technically the last issue of the prior run), and then after that there's Robots in Disguise, about post-war Cybertron, and More Than Meets The Eye, about a crew of transformers on a space quest.

And you will love them. Probably More Than Meets The Eye especially, but both are great.

There's stuff in IDW transformers before it (like I said, post-war, and the IDW TF universe starts late-war), but that's where you start. It is designed as a jumping on point, and it works.

Chris Sims, Batmanologist of ComicsAlliance did a series of posts, 'The Transformed Man,' about how it turned him from someone who couldn't care less about Transformers to saying More Than Meets The Eye is his favorite comic coming out right now.
Start here

Originally posted by Endless Mike
I heard that IDW's Godzilla comics were sub-par, though

The Half-Century War is an exception to that, it's a really evocative, impressive self-contained story, about a character living in the shadow of Godzilla and watching his rampages over time. Read it, love it.

The reception was great, so the creative team got hired back, for Godzilla in Hell.

IDW's ongoing Godzilla is weaker, but those two are great.

Possible, but not necessary, jumping into the SW series itself isn't hard. A lot of the Secret War tie-ins are very self contained, you don't need to follow a lot of side books. I'd say Marvel's not bad at all right now, on the whole.

As for good Marvel stuff, aside from Mark Waid's Daredevil as mentioned, I will also mention Ms. Marvel, about young pakistani-New Jersey teen Kamala Khan, who idolizes Carol Danvers. Who gets hit with Inhuman gas, gets shapeshifting/size powers (like, she can make her hands huge to hit someone), and is just a really fun character.

If you liked Blue Beetle at DC (Jaime Reyes, first run), you'll probably like Kamala too.

There's a number of fairly good books too (for example, Loki: Agent of Asgard, which follows off Young Avengers, which follows off Journey into Mystery, which starts with Loki reincarnated as a kid after he realized being evil was too predictable, and wanted to become something else), but Daredevil and Ms. Marvel, are my bets.

Last edited by Q99 on Aug 12th, 2015 at 04:57 AM

Old Post Aug 12th, 2015 04:54 AM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Endless Mike
Sqirrel Girl fanboy

I liked the Loki stuff in Journey Into Mystery, but I dropped it a while ago

Sig by Starlock

Old Post Aug 12th, 2015 07:28 PM
AlmightyKfish
This Is No Longer A City.

I'll second the opinion on IDW's Transformers.

More Than Meets The Eye is pretty much the comic I look forward to each month more than anything else. It's one of the most creative and clever comics out there and surprisingly character driven- to the point where I care more about these random z list Transformers than any of the big two characters at this point.

As far as Secret Wars, jumping on at #1 isn't too bad and they do explain stuff, but it's very much the end of the story Hickman began in Avengers/New Avengers a few years ago (or arguably before seeing how there's plot threads from his FF run bleeding into this). It's pretty awesome though.

Taskmaster The Molecule Man

Old Post Aug 12th, 2015 07:50 PM
AlmightyKfish is currently offline Click here to Send AlmightyKfish a Private Message Find more posts by AlmightyKfish Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Originally posted by AlmightyKfish
I'll second the opinion on IDW's Transformers.

More Than Meets The Eye is pretty much the comic I look forward to each month more than anything else. It's one of the most creative and clever comics out there and surprisingly character driven- to the point where I care more about these random z list Transformers than any of the big two characters at this point.

And Robots in Disguise- or rather, just "The Transformers" at this point, as they dropped the subtitle recently without adding a new one, due to the cartoon show of the same name coming out- is not lacking in good bits either.

Like, the latest issue? Made me care about a character who's basically a decepticon grunt/thug, another Z-lister. Like, care a lot.

And then someone online pointed out a thing that happened early in the series, which just twists the knife (anyone who's followed the series and wants to know what I'm talking about, PM me).

It makes you care about characters and has kickass action.

Old Post Aug 12th, 2015 08:49 PM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Martian_mind
telepathy+debates+=Pwned

Where do you Transformer fans stand on IDW's Ninja Turtles series? IMO, it's in the same class.

Old Post Aug 13th, 2015 12:17 PM
Bentley
Seitei

Originally posted by Q99
The Half-Century War is an exception to that, it's a really evocative, impressive self-contained story, about a character living in the shadow of Godzilla and watching his rampages over time. Read it, love it.

The reception was great, so the creative team got hired back, for Godzilla in Hell.

That pretty much sums IDW's Goji.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Aug 13th, 2015 12:22 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Originally posted by Martian_mind
Where do you Transformer fans stand on IDW's Ninja Turtles series? IMO, it's in the same class.

I have not read it but I have heard quite positive reviews from friends.

Old Post Aug 18th, 2015 01:31 AM