KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode IV, V & VI » Did Aunt Beru and Uncle Owen know Vader was once Anakin?

Did Aunt Beru and Uncle Owen know Vader was once Anakin?
Started by: Darth Abonis

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Darth Abonis

Did Aunt Beru and Uncle Owen know Vader was once Anakin?

I mean, its possible Obi-Wan didn't tell them, and Owen didn't want Luke to follow in his father's footsteps and become a Jedi

Old Post Aug 8th, 2015 01:34 AM
Click here to Send Darth Abonis a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Abonis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

That's kind of hard to call. I would say they did from the way the were acting in the Blue Milk scenes and the way they talked about his father but they may not have known he survived the battle in ROTS to become Vader.

I would say they did tho just from personal preferences.

Old Post Aug 8th, 2015 02:52 AM
Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Good point. How much would they have known? They must have gotten all their information from OB1. Who knows what he has told them.

But it's clear they knew Anakin was no pilot on a space freighter and from OB1's reaction in ANH, they came up with that lie all by themselves.

Old Post Aug 10th, 2015 12:35 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Subjekt
The beginning of the end.

"He has too much of his father in him." - Beru

"That's what I'm afraid of." - Owen

I would say so. Owen wanted him him to stay there as long as possible. It would be an assumption, but when OB1 shows up with Luke, I'm sure the topic of Anakin and Padme and why they can't him, came up. That's why Owen was looking off into the distance with a morose look on his face, imo.

Thanks to Advent for the Sig!

Old Post Dec 5th, 2015 12:18 AM
Click here to Send Darth Subjekt a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Subjekt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Actually, I think the PT ruined that line totally. How would they know how Luke's father was? They hardly knew the guy, they met him for a couple of minutes...

Old Post Dec 6th, 2015 02:00 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FreshestSlice
Eternal Commander

I assume Obi-Wan didn't just drop a baby in their lap and say, "Here you go."

Old Post Dec 7th, 2015 03:47 PM
Click here to Send FreshestSlice a Private Message Find more posts by FreshestSlice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Subjekt

Yea, that was my point... Ob1 must've said something about Anakin. From what I remember, one of the reasons why Owen didn't like Ob1, was because he blamed him for Anakin "following him" on these jedi adventures. So actually, come to,think of it, I don't think they knew, because if Ob1 "liar" kenobi didn't tell Luke the truth about Anakin, why the hell would he trust Owen with the truth? That's right, Beru took Anakin cause Owen didn't want to speak to Ob1 cause he was pissed off at him.

That was a real time revalation right there, haha.

Old Post Dec 7th, 2015 09:54 PM
Click here to Send Darth Subjekt a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Subjekt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Besides, how did Owen know Anakin went off with OB1 on some "damn fool idealistic crusade". Anakin never did that, he joined the Jedi because of QGJ... And OB1 never showed up at his homestead until after Anakin's death.

So even if OB1 told him the stuff that had happened, he had it totally misconstrued by the time Luke was older or he didn't listen very well. It's totally unclear why he dislikes OB1 so much. Either it's because he blames Ob1 for something... but based on what? Owen hardly knew Anakin. And he knew OB1 for much longer. So maybe something happened between the two guys over Luke's upbringing. But still... why would OB1 think Owen would think Anakin came with him on some 'damn fool idealistic crusade'?

Weird stuff all that and more proof George changed his story as he went along.

Well, the PT ruined a lot of things... This is just one of them.

Old Post Dec 8th, 2015 08:17 AM
Darth Subjekt

I completely agree. Looking back, it had to have been a continuity error; a corner that he painted himself in (Lucas that is).

Old Post Dec 8th, 2015 05:36 PM
queeq
Chaos

Well, I'm sure Lucas will come up with a weird explanation that takes place entirely outside the movies. He has done that before or tries to force it in there. But since we never see why Owen's memories are so screwed up, it just doesn't make sense.

To me it 's clear that George, in hindsight, had done things differently and while making the PT tried to force his new views on the OT. Because originally (see:the novelisations of the OT) Owen was OB1's brother. And in the PT he suddenly isn't.

Now, a family squabble over raising an orphan makes a lot more sense than what we have now. We don't even haven to know what happened, we can quite well imagine the trouble between siblings.

Then again, finding Anakin on Tatooine in TPM, would have made Sw even sillier.

QGJ: Anakin Skywalker, meet OB1 Kenobi.
OB1: Hey dude, we're form the SAME planet!!! And you made a droid?? Cool, I made that R2 unit. We are so brothers, dude... awesome.

Old Post Dec 9th, 2015 07:58 AM
Darth Subjekt

Hahahaha right?

Well I know they say that Ob1 was born on Stewjon, and Owen on Tattooine.

Also, from wookiepedia:

"After Anakin became the Sith Lord Darth Vader, Owen and his wife Beru were given custody of his son Luke by Anakin's Master Obi-Wan Kenobi. Owen raised the boy cautiously, fearing that he could fall to the dark side of the Force like his father."

And:

"Owen struggling

A Korean web comic titled Star Wars: Story Before The Force Awakens features a short story of Owen Lars struggling in Luke's childhood. When Luke and his friend Windy went missing during a sandstorm, it was Obi-Wan who took the two back home, where Owen saw the Jedi again. Owen thanked him for bringing Luke back safely but told him to stay away from Luke; he didn't want to get Luke into any danger. In return, Obi-Wan said he was observing Skywalker and claimed that the Force was strong in him, and that he will leave the farm one day. Lars responded that the Jedi were gone since the Republic fell, warning him once again to never visit their homestead anymore.[4]"

So who knows.

Old Post Dec 11th, 2015 02:11 AM
queeq
Chaos

Well, yeah. That all makes sense. But all this changed in the course of SW creation history. That's why it's so muddled. Plus those sources are EU. I prefer to look at the movies (and the novelisations+comics of the movies). We can drag endless explanations and EU stories into this, but in the movies themselves, they don't make any sense at all. That is, where all this mind changing fails... IMHO.

Old Post Dec 11th, 2015 09:11 AM
Darth Subjekt

Yea the EU/Legends crap is mind-numbing. To be honest, I haven't paid much attention to the what is supposed to be canon now, or if that time period has been rewritten yet or not. I like back stories, but I don't want to re-read years worth of material again just to see what it is that Disney approves of.

Old Post Dec 14th, 2015 03:49 AM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Darth Subjekt
Yea the EU/Legends crap is mind-numbing. To be honest, I haven't paid much attention to the what is supposed to be canon now, or if that time period has been rewritten yet or not. I like back stories, but I don't want to re-read years worth of material again just to see what it is that Disney approves of.
Movies, 3D Clone Wars show, 3D Rebels show, and all novels published from A New Dawn onward.

That's it.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2015 01:15 PM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Yup.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2015 07:56 AM
Darth Subjekt

Ah thanks! So then the clones wars with Savage Oppress and Sidious killing him is out then? I kinda liked Anakin having a padawan. Ah well, thanks for the tip.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2015 12:45 AM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

No, they're in. The two CGI television series are canon. So is the 2008 CGI film. Savage Oppress is canon. Ziro the Hutt is canon...

Old Post Dec 18th, 2015 09:02 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Ziro... OMG...

Old Post Dec 18th, 2015 01:16 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

They would HAVE to know Anakin was Vader. Otherwise what excuse would Obi Wan have for giving them the child? "Here is a random child I found, take care of it" doesn't really make much sense.

Old Post Feb 15th, 2016 08:49 PM
Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Nah, they did. At least, I can deduce from OB1's remark that Owen wa afraid Luke would follow old OB1 on some crusade, like his father did. And the convo with Beru:
- He has too much of his father in him
- That's what I'm afraid of.

Old Post Feb 15th, 2016 09:24 PM