KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » Sidious vs Yoda

Sidious vs Yoda
Started by: EmperorSidious2

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 [2] 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Jmanghan

quote: (post)
Originally posted by carthage
Except no sources confirm there was a draw, and the film very clearly depicts him losing thumb up

-Credit to ILS
Also the ROTS novelization states he didn't have it, etc.

The text states Yoda was outmatched, nowhere is it mentioned they're equals
Its pretty dumb to say Yoda was defeated in the film. Sure, Yoda admits it, but all he needed to do was use force jump a few times to get back up to where Sidious was, all Yoda did was fall down. Just as well, Yoda's tutaminis had the same effect on Sidious as it did on Yoda, he fell down just like Yoda did, only difference is, he was able to hang on, Yoda wasn't. So that counts as a loss? Thats some dumb-ass logic, my friend. Even Yoda was dumb for saying he lost.

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Old Post Sep 11th, 2015 06:37 PM
Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nai
Advocatus Diaboli

Re: Sidious vs Yoda

Originally posted by EmperorSidious2
So who woudl win if on neutral ground.

Neutral ground?

As in: An enviroment in which Sidious doesn't benefit from the fact, that the Force had shifted towards the Dark Side, which gave him a boost in terms of power and diminished the Jedis (read: Yoda's) ability to use the Force? wink

That aside: Yoda did probably disarm Sidious, despite fighting him, when Sidious was in a position of advantage. So I'd give sabers to Yoda. And the Force? In the final seconds of their duel, Yoda began to push back Sidious before the Force energy between them exploded, which would suggest he's the slightly more powerful Force user between the two. But then, he probably lacks the offensive potential to really "defeat" Sidious in a force fight. So I'd call that a draw. Following from there, Yoda is going to win most "all out fights" against Sidious. And I'm inclined to say that, if you apply the "neutral setting" mentioned above, he is going to win every fight against Sidious.

"Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?"

Old Post Sep 12th, 2015 03:48 AM
Click here to Send Nai a Private Message Find more posts by Nai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by Jmanghan
Even Yoda was dumb for saying he lost.

Yoda didn't say he lost. He said he "failed." And he did fail- to KILL the Emperor.

Old Post Sep 12th, 2015 11:51 AM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
EmperorSidious2
Master of Magic

Re: Re: Sidious vs Yoda

Originally posted by Nai
Neutral ground?

As in: An enviroment in which Sidious doesn't benefit from the fact, that the Force had shifted towards the Dark Side, which gave him a boost in terms of power and diminished the Jedis (read: Yoda's) ability to use the Force? wink

That aside: Yoda did probably disarm Sidious, despite fighting him, when Sidious was in a position of advantage. So I'd give sabers to Yoda. And the Force? In the final seconds of their duel, Yoda began to push back Sidious before the Force energy between them exploded, which would suggest he's the slightly more powerful Force user between the two. But then, he probably lacks the offensive potential to really "defeat" Sidious in a force fight. So I'd call that a draw. Following from there, Yoda is going to win most "all out fights" against Sidious. And I'm inclined to say that, if you apply the "neutral setting" mentioned above, he is going to win every fight against Sidious.

Well I've never considered that the imbalance of the force is what gave him his power and I'm not inclined to now nor will I ever be inclined to believe so. With that a neutral ground I mean him disarming him in the senate room, this neutral ground gives Sidious gets to use his force speed the way he wants to, Yoda can't fall from a high place, no one is hindered. So balance of the force has and will never be a factor in any of the threads I create or debate in as I don't believe that had anything to do with it. The Imbalance of the force he to get there some how and that woudl mean the dark spiders Bent it to their will which shows great power. Then when you look at DE Sidious he puts both ROTS and ROTJ incarnations of himself to utter shame and guess what if there was an imbalance in the force if would be for the lightside and guess what he kicked the greatest practioners of ito butt. So that "theory" of yours while I say plausible unlikely.

Old Post Sep 12th, 2015 01:56 PM
Click here to Send EmperorSidious2 a Private Message Find more posts by EmperorSidious2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JKBart
Restricted

Account Restricted

Even split in everything sans sabers only where Yoda has 0,8125% of better chances.

They are angry because they have been forced to recognize that their hour has arrived; that the time has come to surrender power to Shimrra and the new order."

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2015 03:42 PM
Click here to Send JKBart a Private Message Find more posts by JKBart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
McP

Yoda lost to Palpatine only becasue he was in tactical disadvantage from the start. Sidious tried to run at the beggining, so Yoda had to chasing him all the time.
Besides that, Yoda already won a saber fight, according to script Sidious was disarmed. They were about equals in a Force fight (Yoda had the upper hand in their fight in TCW though).
Stover's novel is obvious BS here, and - since it contradicts the movie's version - it shouldn't be even treat as a canon source.

It should be a split, or 5,5/10 for Yoda (on neutral ground)

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2015 06:55 PM
Click here to Send McP a Private Message Find more posts by McP Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Stark
Lord of Winterfell

On neutral flat terrain Yoda has the edge 5.5/10 imo In the Grand Convocation Chamber, its advantage Sidious 5.5/10.

Sabers goes to Yoda for the advantage, Force to Sidious, all out is a toss up depending.

The North Remembers

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2015 10:43 PM
Click here to Send Lord Stark a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Stark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sinious
Yo Da Best

LOL @ Yoda > Sidious. Calling it a stalemate is the least stressful way of looking at it but if y'all wanna prove slight superiorities, Sidious will come on top at the end.

"That is why you fail."

Old Post Oct 4th, 2015 03:02 AM
Click here to Send Sinious a Private Message Find more posts by Sinious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by Sinious
LOL @ Yoda > Sidious. Calling it a stalemate is the least stressful way of looking at it but if y'all wanna prove slight superiorities, Sidious will come on top at the end.

Well Sidious did seem to give up on the Saber fight. And according to the script he was actually Disarmed by Yoda in the Saber match up.

So not sure how anyone can give Sidious the edge or the win in the Saber department.

Then the Force battle they both went flying back. Yoda not having something to hang onto had nothing to do with Sidious's Force powers being greater.

Given that I don't see the issue in people giving the "slight edge" to Yoda.

Also don't see the issue in giving Sidious the "slight edge" given that he ended up on top in their fight.

Point being it's a very debatable topic.

Old Post Oct 4th, 2015 09:38 AM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SunRazer
Back From The Dead

The script/junior novel have Yoda disarm Sidious, but it's otherwise confirmed that he didn't disarm Sidious. I've had a mind blank, though, as I can't remember the source itself or anything that would point to it. There's also a bunch of sources saying Yoda and Sidious are equals (again, can't remember if there's any referring to dueling specifically).

Old Post Oct 4th, 2015 09:45 AM
Click here to Send SunRazer a Private Message Find more posts by SunRazer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
EmperorSidious2
Master of Magic

Wasn't Sidious in a disadvantaged position in their lightsaber fight? Wouldn't it make a difference being on neutral ground?

Old Post Oct 4th, 2015 02:00 PM
Click here to Send EmperorSidious2 a Private Message Find more posts by EmperorSidious2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Wasn't Sidious in a disadvantaged position in their lightsaber fight? Wouldn't it make a difference being on neutral ground?

Well he was in a position of his own choosing.

Either way there's no evidence to give Sidious the advantage in that department.

Old Post Oct 4th, 2015 03:06 PM
Sinious
Yo Da Best

Originally posted by Darth Thor
Well Sidious did seem to give up on the Saber fight. And according to the script he was actually Disarmed by Yoda in the Saber match up.
Yoda disarmed him while Sidious was in a disadvantageous position as he had to stand still and fight Yoda without pulling off any acrobatic stunts which is not how he usually duals(not to mention missing a saber) while Yoda wasn't experiencing the disadvantage of his height due to the platforms shape.

quote:
So not sure how anyone can give Sidious the edge or the win in the Saber department.
I never said Sidious has the edge, I said they should be about equal but if people start making arguments based on the smallest of details to give Yoda the edge, I can simply return the favor.

quote:
Then the Force battle they both went flying back. Yoda not having something to hang onto had nothing to do with Sidious's Force powers being greater.

Given that I don't see the issue in people giving the "slight edge" to Yoda.

Also don't see the issue in giving Sidious the "slight edge" given that he ended up on top in their fight.

Point being it's a very debatable topic.
Sidious had the upper hand in the TK fight cause he positioned himself better just like Yoda had the upper hand in the dual cause of the same reason. Better usage of environment seems like a determining factor there. Its probably cause they are so close in every department.

However, let us not forget one thing: Sidious had already won in the big picture and had everything to lose where Yoda had nothing to lose. He was also there to assassinate Sidious. This is an awkward situation for Sidious since as a dark sider and a master of manipulating his rage, being on the defensive is not a very practical stand for him. On a flat terrain with no morals etc, if I had to pick a side, I'd pick Sidious as he still managed to have the upper hand at the end of the fight despite all his disadvantages but I'm still suggesting that calling it a stalemate is a healthy way of approaching it.

"That is why you fail."

Old Post Oct 4th, 2015 03:54 PM
Click here to Send Sinious a Private Message Find more posts by Sinious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
EmperorSidious2
Master of Magic

Well he was in a position of his own choosing.

Either way there's no evidence to give Sidious the advantage in that department.

Well that could be to get the force advantage. By going into the senate arena he would have been able to do everything he did. Throw the pods and lightning. However that doesn't detract from the fact that Sidious didn't fight the way he normally does, using his force speed the way he would want to.

That part is true.

Old Post Oct 4th, 2015 04:54 PM
Darth Thor

Well that could be to get the force advantage. By going into the senate arena he would have been able to do everything he did. Throw the pods and lightning. However that doesn't detract from the fact that Sidious didn't fight the way he normally does, using his force speed the way he would want to.

That part is true.

Could have been to mange better use of his Force Powers, but that would only lend to the idea he wasn't confident in winning the Saber fight.

So fact is the fight began on neutral ground but took it to the Senate Pod figuring he had better chances there.

Also I don't think the Senate Pod was the ideal place for Yoda to fight either leaping around the edge of it.

Old Post Oct 4th, 2015 05:29 PM
EmperorSidious2
Master of Magic

Could have been to mange better use of his Force Powers, but that would only lend to the idea he wasn't confident in winning the Saber fight.

So fact is the fight began on neutral ground but took it to the Senate Pod figuring he had better chances there.

Also I don't think the Senate Pod was the ideal place for Yoda to fight either leaping around the edge of it.

Or that he had to end the fight and he felt more confident with his force powers. Good point though.

He would have access to the pods to throw at Yoda.

That's what he's meant for. To jump from place to place. That's how Ataru works. He jumps from spot to spot, and being so small it would be even harder for Sidious to hit anything.

Old Post Oct 4th, 2015 05:33 PM
Nai
Advocatus Diaboli

Re: Re: Re: Sidious vs Yoda

Oh. I missed that one...

Well I've never considered that the imbalance of the force is what gave him his power and I'm not inclined to now nor will I ever be inclined to believe so.

I'm totally surprised. A guy named Sidious ignoring a fact that would make the character Sidious look weaker? Gosh. Who would have thought about that?! roll eyes (sarcastic)

quote:

With that a neutral ground I mean him disarming him in the senate room, this neutral ground gives Sidious gets to use his force speed the way he wants to, Yoda can't fall from a high place, no one is hindered. So balance of the force has and will never be a factor in any of the threads I create or debate in as I don't believe that had anything to do with it. The Imbalance of the force he to get there some how and that woudl mean the dark spiders Bent it to their will which shows great power. Then when you look at DE Sidious he puts both ROTS and ROTJ incarnations of himself to utter shame and guess what if there was an imbalance in the force if would be for the lightside and guess what he kicked the greatest practioners of ito butt. So that "theory" of yours while I say plausible unlikely.

Come again? This time in English, please.
From what I've understood, let me just say this: Your beliefs are entirely irrelevant in debates here. We deal with canon. Canon states clearly, that Sidious received a noticeable boost in power from the unbalancing in the Force while the Jedi's ability to use the Force were diminished. So, for a "truely neutral" setting, Sidious would be less powerful while Yoda would be more powerful.

@Sinious
Originally posted by Sinious
Yoda disarmed him while Sidious was in a disadvantageous position as he had to stand still and fight Yoda without pulling off any acrobatic stunts which is not how he usually duals(not to mention missing a saber) while Yoda wasn't experiencing the disadvantage of his height due to the platforms shape.

One word for you: Wrong!
I've demonstrated mathematically, that the Senate pod is a position of advantage for Sidious, because of what it would mean to fight a foe with Yoda's height on equal ground right here. I guess, that not having to sacrifice 1/3 to 1/2 of his range advantage and 2/3s of the manouvers you can utilize, in order to be capable of hitting your opponent, counts as advantage.

quote:
I never said Sidious has the edge, I said they should be about equal but if people start making arguments based on the smallest of details to give Yoda the edge, I can simply return the favor.

Because disarming an opponent in a lightsaber fight is "a small detail" when attempting to compare the fencing skill of the two beings involved in the fight?

quote:

Sidious had the upper hand in the TK fight cause he positioned himself better just like Yoda had the upper hand in the dual cause of the same reason. Better usage of environment seems like a determining factor there. Its probably cause they are so close in every department.

Wrong. See above.
And it is Sidious who picks the Senate pod for the lightsaber fight, not Yoda. I don't think that Sidious would move the fight to a place in which he would be at disadvantage. Which he doesn't, as demonstrated in the posting linked above.

quote:

However, let us not forget one thing: Sidious had already won in the big picture and had everything to lose where Yoda had nothing to lose. He was also there to assassinate Sidious. This is an awkward situation for Sidious since as a dark sider and a master of manipulating his rage, being on the defensive is not a very practical stand for him. On a flat terrain with no morals etc, if I had to pick a side, I'd pick Sidious as he still managed to have the upper hand at the end of the fight despite all his disadvantages but I'm still suggesting that calling it a stalemate is a healthy way of approaching it.

Yoda, fighting from a position of disadvantage, apparently disarmed Sidious in a lightsaber fight.

Yoda on equal ground with Sidious, was about to defeat him in the Force contest, too, just before the Force energy exploded. Sidious was pushed from leaning forward into his attack to leaning backwards during that brief contest.

The only reason why Yoda lost was because there weren't fighting on equal ground. He wouldn't have lost his lightsaber permanently by Sidious' final attack and there wouldn't have been a possibility to drop down from a rather great height. And, of course, we wouldn't have Clone Troopers on their way to save the Chancellor, as was the case in RotS.

"Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?"

Old Post Oct 4th, 2015 06:02 PM
Click here to Send Nai a Private Message Find more posts by Nai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
EmperorSidious2
Master of Magic

Re: Re: Re: Re: Sidious vs Yoda

Originally posted by Nai
Oh. I missed that one...

I'm totally surprised. A guy named Sidious ignoring a fact that would make the character Sidious look weaker? Gosh. Who would have thought about that?! roll eyes (sarcastic)

Come again? This time in English, please.
From what I've understood, let me just say this: Your beliefs are entirely irrelevant in debates here. We deal with canon. Canon states clearly, that Sidious received a noticeable boost in power from the unbalancing in the Force while the Jedi's ability to use the Force were diminished. So, for a "truely neutral" setting, Sidious would be less powerful while Yoda would be more powerful.

@Sinious

One word for you: Wrong!
I've demonstrated mathematically, that the Senate pod is a position of advantage for Sidious, because of what it would mean to fight a foe with Yoda's height on equal ground right here. I guess, that not having to sacrifice 1/3 to 1/2 of his range advantage and 2/3s of the manouvers you can utilize, in order to be capable of hitting your opponent, counts as advantage.

Because disarming an opponent in a lightsaber fight is "a small detail" when attempting to compare the fencing skill of the two beings involved in the fight?

Wrong. See above.
And it is Sidious who picks the Senate pod for the lightsaber fight, not Yoda. I don't think that Sidious would move the fight to a place in which he would be at disadvantage. Which he doesn't, as demonstrated in the posting linked above.

Yoda, fighting from a position of disadvantage, apparently disarmed Sidious in a lightsaber fight.

Yoda on equal ground with Sidious, was about to defeat him in the Force contest, too, just before the Force energy exploded. Sidious was pushed from leaning forward into his attack to leaning backwards during that brief contest.

The only reason why Yoda lost was because there weren't fighting on equal ground. He wouldn't have lost his lightsaber permanently by Sidious' final attack and there wouldn't have been a possibility to drop down from a rather great height. And, of course, we wouldn't have Clone Troopers on their way to save the Chancellor, as was the case in RotS.

Canon says he received a significant boost from the death of his master. Once again to bend the force to a specific side shows great power. I agree Yoda is powerful, but not more powerful than Sidious. If he were than why would the novel say that Yoda couldn't defeat Sidious? He's not more powerful in the force. Maybe in sabers he's more skilled, but even that is up for debate. The imbalance of the force I shall never be apart of anything involving me because once gain to cause the imbalance requires great power. To cloud the vision of the Jedi council requires great power. If you could show me where it says the imbalance of the force caused Sidious to receive a power up would be nice. If that was the case then why didn't Luke just crush Sidious in Dark Empire? The force would be on Luke's side, and he does have the most force potential of any living being as of Dark Empire yet he was beaten by the Emperor. Another example. Maul and Obi. If the force were helping the dark side then why was Obi able to stalemate and beat maul and his brother at one time. Anakin and Obi. Same thing. If you could provide the canon source that actually says and explains this that would be better.

Your point of Sidious being weaker is speculation. If what you say is true we don't know how powerful Sidious is. We just take Sidious where he is and what we see.

My feelings don't matter? Who created this thread? My feelings and intentions decide this match? So my feelings annd intentions are that the force never increased Sidious to the degree you speak or even close, and that a neutral setting for what you describe is not the one I describe. It woudl be impossible to know. I told you what I meant by neutral, so you can either take it or leave it.

Last edited by EmperorSidious2 on Oct 4th, 2015 at 06:22 PM

Old Post Oct 4th, 2015 06:18 PM
Lord Stark
Lord of Winterfell

Considering Sidious, not Yoda retreated to that stand, no. There's no actual evidence that Sidious was 'disadvantaged' +The fact that he retreated from neutral grounds leads credence to the idea that Yoda was winning up until the Grand Convocation chamber.

The North Remembers

Old Post Oct 4th, 2015 06:21 PM
Click here to Send Lord Stark a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Stark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
EmperorSidious2
Master of Magic

Originally posted by Lord Stark
Considering Sidious, not Yoda retreated to that stand, no. There's no actual evidence that Sidious was 'disadvantaged' +The fact that he retreated from neutral grounds leads credence to the idea that Yoda was winning up until the Grand Convocation chamber.

I can go into a cramped space to get from point A to point B doesn't change the fact it's uncomfortable and cramped. Sidious isles his force speed in certain ways, and the cramped spaces made it difficult for Sidious to use his force speed to the effective point he did agaisnt Windu or maul and savage. He could ahve retreated to the pod to gain the force advantage.

Old Post Oct 4th, 2015 06:27 PM