KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Woman says court forced her into religious parenting classes

Woman says court forced her into religious parenting classes
Started by: riv6672

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
riv6672

Woman says court forced her into religious parenting classes

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/55f9ca84e4b08820d9171759

quote:
A court late last year assigned Salzman to 10 sessions with counselor Mary Pepper, who prides herself on valuing family. But Salzman said that when she arrived, Pepper promoted explicitly religious values.

She refused to attend, and her kids were taken away until she complied.
She should have just sucked it up, IMO.
She didnt have to convert or anything. Just smile and nod, check the box, and go about her business.
Odd time to take the moral high ground, with her kids at stake.
Agree, disagree?

Old Post Sep 19th, 2015 09:50 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

I agree and disagree. For this specific woman yes shutting up and going along with it probably would of served best. BUT it also sets a precedent. I don't like religion being forced on anyone and this is what it sounds like. She had to complete these classes, and the woman running the classes took a religious approach. Which more or less sounds like saying she had to embrace religious attitudes in order to get her kids back.

Don't get me wrong I think people SHOULD have to go to parenting classes, as a mandatory thing before they even pop out a damn child, but I don't think said classes should be religious.

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2015 02:18 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

I dont think they should be either, but i cant assume the judge knew about the class' religious minded instructor.
The right move might have been to request a different class, if it was that big a deal to her.
The article makes it seem like she didnt try that. Now, if she did thats a whole different thing.

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2015 10:34 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
long pig
Restricted

Account Restricted

It was wrong. She should have stfu, tho. But of course, as an entitled broad she had run around vomiting up her thoughts.

No one cares. Do what you have to do to get your kids.

Supa-Mayne!

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2015 01:26 PM
long pig is currently offline Click here to Send long pig a Private Message Find more posts by long pig Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Abandon your kids but follow Jesus. Obvious choice.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2015 01:31 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by riv6672
I dont think they should be either, but i cant assume the judge knew about the class' religious minded instructor.
The right move might have been to request a different class, if it was that big a deal to her.
The article makes it seem like she didnt try that. Now, if she did thats a whole different thing.

I don't think she'd have the option to switch a court ordered class. For this woman personally shutting up would of been a good thing, but overall it sets a bad example.

On the other hand there is a chance she could indeed just be doing this for her 15 minutes of fame. Being a victim is "in" right now.

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2015 04:22 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

So i'm not the only advocate of her just tsking the class and moving on. Good, i thought that might not be the popular choice.

Old Post Sep 24th, 2015 09:30 AM
Q99

Re: Woman says court forced her into religious parenting classes

quote: (post)
Originally posted by riv6672
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/55f9ca84e4b08820d9171759

She refused to attend, and her kids were taken away until she complied.
She should have just sucked it up, IMO.
She didnt have to convert or anything. Just smile and nod, check the box, and go about her business.
Odd time to take the moral high ground, with her kids at stake.
Agree, disagree?

The state requiring someone to take a religious course is blatantly unconstitutional.

While there'd be pragmatic reason not to, she was rather clearly in the right.

Old Post Sep 24th, 2015 09:32 AM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Right, yes, but, when (as a parent) i think of things parents sacrifice for their kids, sitting through a class you dont agree with ranks ranks pretty low.

Old Post Sep 24th, 2015 11:35 AM