KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » New 'Lucifer' Ongoing Series (Vertigo)...

New 'Lucifer' Ongoing Series (Vertigo)...
Started by: Galan007

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (7): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Galan007
-Great Priest-

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Astner
In all fairness, while stubborn, at least Air Legend was well informed and motivated his positions; in contrast to BeyonderGod. But I digress.

When does #2 come out?
It's currently slated for release on 01/20/16:
http://www.vertigocomics.com/comics...-2015/lucifer-2

"Agreeing to team up to find out who killed their Father, Lucifer and Gabriel begin the hunt for clues and suspects. And what better place to search for God's murderer than Lucifer's former realm, Hell? But how will the Lords and Ladies of the Nine Circles respond to the return of their old ruler? Plus, the return of a one-time nemesis of a certain Dreamking."

And issue #3 is set for 02/17/16:
http://www.vertigocomics.com/comics...-2015/lucifer-3

"Finding little assistance in Hell, Gabriel and Lucifer continue their quest to uncover their Father's murderer. Next stop: The Dreaming. Meanwhile, Azazel, a former Archduke loyal to Beelzebub, finds himself in the hands of an unlikely savior, an orphaned thirteen-year-old girl named Medjine."

大神官

Last edited by Galan007 on Dec 18th, 2015 at 04:36 PM

Old Post Dec 18th, 2015 04:27 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cogito

Originally posted by Galan007
Pfft. Mike Carey himself could walk up to him and say: "Look dude, Lucifer created a multiverse", and he'd still argue it.

The guy made nvr seem perfectly reasonable.

Pfft. Mike Carey himself did say it in Nirvana roll eyes (sarcastic)

Finally got around to reading #1. It was more or less like I expected - not great.

"I don't just love the sinner...I love the sin"
"I tempt, I deceive, I trick. I am cruel and I am ruthless..."
"Because no one gets to kill God but me"

Ugh. The dialogue made me want to hurl a little. Sure, Holly's probably read Sandman and Lucifer and got the gist of the plot points, but an understanding of the character seems to be a long ways off. Half the point of Carey's Lucifer was that "the Devil" was misunderstood. He wasn't a cruel, lying sadist. He just didn't give a single shit about anyone other than himself (and maybe a tiny bit Mazikeen and Elaine...sometimes). Carey's Lucifer flat out stated that he never made anyone do anything and that he gets blamed for a lot that he had no involvement in. He doesn't tempt, deceive, or trick. He was in Hell all those years just because it was furthest from Heaven. What Hell became was just a product of him not doing anything to stop it because he didn't care, not because he encouraged it.

The fundamental understanding of the character just seems to be missing here, but I'm hoping its just still too early.

"And then there was nothing. A once broken something now void.
And on the first day, Doom spoke...
'Be.'
And then there was life."

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2015 04:38 AM
Cogito is currently offline Click here to Send Cogito a Private Message Find more posts by Cogito Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Endless Mike
Sqirrel Girl fanboy

Originally posted by Cogito
[B]Pfft. Mike Carey himself did say it in Nirvana

Wasn't I the first one to bring that to the attention of the general online comics community?

Sig by Starlock

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2015 10:57 AM
Endless Mike is currently offline Click here to Send Endless Mike a Private Message Find more posts by Endless Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
kevdude
The Hooded Man

I think Holly got what Lucifer was and is perfectly. He's done all those things. "I tempt, I deceive, I trick. I am cruel and I am ruthless..." He's done that. "I don't just love the sinner...I love the sin", he love's it because its their choice to chose something other then what God set out for everyone, even though it leads to death and separation from God, which is what God never intended for humans. The part about him wanting to kill his father is true, he despises him totally but being a part of his family he loves God in a sadistic way, or at least used too. That's what Holly is trying to say.

Would have Mike Carey had Lucifer said all this? Probably not, but this is still Holly Black's first time writing him, I think she's just trying to give us some info on his character, letting us know, she knows who Lucifer is! The fact that Lucifer went against his Father's rule and approach to creation, and went to Hell is what tempted other's that very same choice. He's right when he said he never made them do anything to go to Hell but still he didn't try to persuade them to join God's side of viewing things and go to Heaven.

Really looking forward to the Dream King issue.

The Word

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2015 12:56 PM
kevdude is currently offline Click here to Send kevdude a Private Message Find more posts by kevdude Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cogito

Originally posted by kevdude
I think Holly got what Lucifer was and is perfectly. He's done all those things. "I tempt, I deceive, I trick. I am cruel and I am ruthless..." He's done that. "I don't just love the sinner...I love the sin",

The way I read it, and again maybe its just too early, was him saying those things because he's a sadist like the other Hell lords who actually do love those things - not because of his (justifiable) obsession with free will. Carey's Lucifer was much more subtle...so I guess we'll see.

I do get that this run, to some extent, has to be understandable to those who haven't read Sandman or Carey's Lucifer. So early on we have to introduce the characters somewhat.

/shrug

'Be.'

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2015 03:50 PM
Cogito is currently offline Click here to Send Cogito a Private Message Find more posts by Cogito Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
kevdude
The Hooded Man

Oh I can see where you're coming from. I just think she's really pushed that to let us know she's won't mess up.

In Carey's run, Lucifer was a tempter, deceiver and a trickster, he wasn't a liar though. Having him say that does not mean he's a liar, he's just selfish like you said.

I have hope that Holly Black will treat Lucifer good. She's written fantasy, supernatural and dark stuff before, and one of her works, The Spiderwick Chronicles made it to film and was very popular.

Vertigo just made a new page all dedicated to Lucifer and his history, if anyone wants to check it out.
http://www.vertigocomics.com/blog/2...ou-need-to-know

Vertigo just released info for Lucifer #4, on sale 3/16.
http://www.vertigocomics.com/comics...-2015/lucifer-4
The Devil must face some demons of his own as Lucifer and Gabriel travel through the Dreaming to meet some old “friends” in the Japanese underworld. Meanwhile, Medjine finally decides what to do with her bottled buddy, the archdemon Azazel.

The Word

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2015 05:11 PM
kevdude is currently offline Click here to Send kevdude a Private Message Find more posts by kevdude Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
-Great Priest-

Issue #2 was mediocre.

Gabriel is starting to steal the show.

大神官

Old Post Jan 20th, 2016 12:18 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AlmightyKfish
This Is No Longer A City.

Yeah this issue wasn't as good as number #1 imo. Although I'm somewhat intrigued w/ what has happened to Mazikeen between Lucifer and now.

Also slightly weird thing, from the dialogue it seems like Gabriel blames Lucifer for what happened to him in Hellblazer, which is strange as it specifically had nothing to do with him. If that is a mistake it's a weird one as the story has clearly been read/referenced. Just something I noticed.

Taskmaster The Molecule Man

Old Post Jan 20th, 2016 03:25 PM
AlmightyKfish is currently offline Click here to Send AlmightyKfish a Private Message Find more posts by AlmightyKfish Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NoctisOwen

Is the Lucifer series canon to DC?

Old Post May 23rd, 2016 05:03 AM
NoctisOwen is currently offline Click here to Send NoctisOwen a Private Message Find more posts by NoctisOwen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
-Great Priest-

大神官

Old Post Jun 15th, 2016 04:07 PM
kevdude
The Hooded Man

Going to be interesting to see what happens in issue 8. Hope we get an answer as to why Raphael killed Metatron.

The Word

Old Post Jun 15th, 2016 06:47 PM
Cogito

Just read 2-7 last night. Still kinda sucks thumb up

'Be.'

Old Post Jul 20th, 2016 06:34 PM
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

has anyone watched the tv show? if so, should I read the comics too?

Thanks Steve... The Darkside of the force...

Old Post Jul 20th, 2016 06:57 PM
BruceSkywalker is online now! Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cogito

Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
has anyone watched the tv show? if so, should I read the comics too?

I haven't seen it, but from the many commercials I've seen it looks like it has absolutely nothing to do with the comic series aside from Lucifer showing up in LA.

And yes, you should definitely read Carey's run. It's not that long and it's one of the best ever

'Be.'

Old Post Jul 20th, 2016 07:59 PM
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Originally posted by Cogito
I haven't seen it, but from the many commercials I've seen it looks like it has absolutely nothing to do with the comic series aside from Lucifer showing up in LA.

And yes, you should definitely read Carey's run. It's not that long and it's one of the best ever

I will give it a read

Thanks Steve... The Darkside of the force...

Old Post Jul 20th, 2016 10:28 PM
BruceSkywalker is online now! Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
-Great Priest-

大神官

Old Post Aug 24th, 2016 02:55 PM
Cogito

Ugh

'Be.'

Old Post Aug 24th, 2016 05:03 PM
Zack M

Who is that?

Old Post Aug 24th, 2016 11:16 PM
Zack M is currently offline Click here to Send Zack M a Private Message Find more posts by Zack M Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AlmightyKfish
This Is No Longer A City.

Something that grew from Yahweh's corpse.

Tbh I'm not hating this series, it's just really underwhelming at times. Whereas Lucifer (and Sandman previously) managed to slowly build up to these big events and when things actually happened after the slow burn it felt epic.

Whereas here things are just kind of happening with little impact. I mean the revelation about Yahweh's death should be a big moment, but it really didn't feel that way.

Basically, the book is picking up all these threads from Lucifer and other places (Izanami and L's son, Mazikeen, Jill's daughter etc) and then just being fairly average imo. Which makes it suffer in comparison as Carey's Lucifer was brilliant.

Taskmaster The Molecule Man

Old Post Aug 25th, 2016 01:35 AM
AlmightyKfish is currently offline Click here to Send AlmightyKfish a Private Message Find more posts by AlmightyKfish Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astner
Fundamental Physicist

I can't remember the last time I saw such generic villainy.

My visit with Vorador only strengthened my resolve. His power uncontested by mortals, he had fallen to another enemy. Decadence has claimed itself many a great warrior.

Old Post Aug 25th, 2016 03:13 AM
Astner is currently offline Click here to Send Astner a Private Message Find more posts by Astner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote