KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Music Discussion » Song Versus - Stand by Me vs My Girl

Song Versus - Stand by Me vs My Girl
Started by: Jmanghan

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Jmanghan

Song Versus - Stand by Me vs My Girl

Ben E. King's Legendary Hit song "Stand by Me", vs The OG Temptations song - My Girl.

Whch one hits you the hardest, sounds the best, and all-around, is the best?

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Old Post Sep 27th, 2015 04:26 PM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scribble

Both are great, great songs, but I'm going for Stand by Me. Ben E. King's voice is nearly (nearly) Otis Redding-tier, and the chord progression is ****ing great. Television reused the chord progression effectively in their song Prove It, just shows how timeless a chord progression it is when a late '70s punk/new wave band can take it and appropriate it so well.

Old Post Sep 28th, 2015 05:10 PM
Scribble is currently offline Click here to Send Scribble a Private Message Find more posts by Scribble Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dynamix

i simply chose Stand by me for its mood, atmosphere and depth. I love how Ben E King's voice had this slight echo giving the song this very cold reflective feel really emphasizing the "night has come" line. Gave me chills...literally lol. And i love the little orchestra bridge midway through the song. My Girl is a great ode to the 'walking on cloud 9' feel when ur in love, and possibly the best to ever do it, but, i feel, Stand By Me not only explore the 'superhuman' feeling you get from love, ironically, the song somehow was able to examined this weak, vulnerable, almost lonely feeling, not by any words or lyrics but in a 'read between the line' kind of way. These bars really accentuate that aspect of the song

"I won't cry, i won't cry...no i won't shed a tear. Just as long, as u stand, stand by me."

lol, it was almost saying, you're all i have, please don't leave me ha.

In other words, where My Girl is an optimistic praise, Stand By Me was a cautionary plea. Both dope songs though.

Last edited by dynamix on Sep 30th, 2015 at 06:41 AM

Old Post Sep 30th, 2015 06:38 AM
dynamix is currently offline Click here to Send dynamix a Private Message Find more posts by dynamix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sunset Phoenix
Daybreaker

I like them both but stand by me is a little bit better.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2015 04:00 PM
Sunset Phoenix is currently offline Click here to Send Sunset Phoenix a Private Message Find more posts by Sunset Phoenix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote