KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Why is the theory of evolution considered a threat by certain Christians?

Why is the theory of evolution considered a threat by certain Christians?
Started by: Bashar Teg

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (16): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Not sure why this thread was closed, so in the meantime I'm opening it back up.

Old Post Sep 30th, 2015 08:28 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Thanks for reopening, was confused as I didn't find the OP to be trolly, it asked a legitimate question that was raised in another thread.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Sep 30th, 2015 08:32 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
psmith81992
Restricted

Account Restricted

It was a troll thread for the reasons Q99 specified, Ush closed it. "So many Christians" aren't questioning evolution, a small minority is.

There'll be a golden ladder reaching down.
When the man comes around.

Old Post Sep 30th, 2015 08:39 PM
psmith81992 is currently offline Click here to Send psmith81992 a Private Message Find more posts by psmith81992 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

quote: (post)
Originally posted by psmith81992
It was a troll thread for the reasons Q99 specified, Ush closed it. "So many Christians" aren't questioning evolution, a small minority is.

While the title could be reworded for those more sensitive, the OP went on to clarify the reason for the thread:

quote:
to start, i've conversed with many christians who feel that the theory of evolution does not contradict their faith. they tend to ascribe this position to the belief that certain passages were metaphorical in nature. for example the notion that the earth was not actually created in 6 days, nor that "created in his own image" actually meant that god has a human face, arms, legs, penis, etc.

on the opposite side i see a group of people who seem to shun scientific theory in general, seemingly to protect their spirituality. these are the people i mostly want to hear from. to them i ask the question:

As you can see, it implies the minority who hold a certain view.

Edit; Should also point out that about 14% of Americans don't believe in Evolution theory, now I don't know if they're all Christians, but that's just in America. So even if we're conservative and say "5%", that's about 16million people, which I would call "many".

Last edited by Robtard on Sep 30th, 2015 at 08:46 PM

Old Post Sep 30th, 2015 08:43 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

I generally leave a comment when closing threads.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Sep 30th, 2015 08:45 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

i certainly didnt intend to offend, hurt, or upset anyone with the thread title.

moderators, if you read this, please change the thread title to:

"Why is the theory of evolution considered a threat by certain Christians?"

*edit* wow that was speedy. thanks!

Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage.

Last edited by Bashar Teg on Sep 30th, 2015 at 08:48 PM

Old Post Sep 30th, 2015 08:45 PM
Bashar Teg is currently offline Click here to Send Bashar Teg a Private Message Find more posts by Bashar Teg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Star428
Restricted

Account Restricted

I reported it as a troll thread as soon as I saw it this morning. And LOL@Bashar. AS I said earlier, no Christian "fears it" because we know it's nothing but lies. It's you atheists that fear the alternative to evolution (the truth): Divine creation. thumb up

Most people believe Evolution not because they themselves are dumb, but cause they trust the "experts" who are feeding them evolutionary fast food, and so they don't bother questioning whether or not it's true.

Last edited by Star428 on Sep 30th, 2015 at 08:53 PM

Old Post Sep 30th, 2015 08:47 PM
Star428 is currently offline Click here to Send Star428 a Private Message Find more posts by Star428 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire

Originally posted by psmith81992

I don't believe having slightly questionable wording in the title qualifies it as a troll thread. For an example troll thread see http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f80/t618096.html

In that thread no attempt at discussion was made from the start, it was merely meant to demonize and attack. This thread made a sincere attempt at opening a discussion.

Anyways, edited the title of the thread since some objected to it.

Old Post Sep 30th, 2015 08:47 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
red g jacks
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Robtard
While the title could be reworded for those more sensitive, the OP went on to clarify the reason for the thread:

As you can see, it implies the minority who hold a certain view.

Edit; Should also point out that about 14% of Americans don't believe in Evolution theory, now I don't know if they're all Christians, but that's just in America. So even if we're conservative and say "5%", that's about 16million people, which I would call "many".
the numbers i've seen are much higher

http://www.gallup.com/poll/170822/b...an-origins.aspx

far from a small minority, at least in america. that's almost half of americans disbelieve evolution. most of whom are christians.

the reason why is pretty straightforward to me... any literal interpretation of genesis renders evolution incompatible with that narrative.

Old Post Sep 30th, 2015 09:04 PM
red g jacks is currently offline Click here to Send red g jacks a Private Message Find more posts by red g jacks Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

If that's true, then the original title of "many" was most definitely spot on and not trolly whatsoever.

Old Post Sep 30th, 2015 09:05 PM
BackFire

God damn it guys, I'm not changing the title again. I'm only one man! And that man is lazy.

Old Post Sep 30th, 2015 09:10 PM
Bentley
Seitei

Originally posted by Star428
Also, just want to add that evolution is in direct contradiction to what the Bible teaches. I don't expect atheists to put much value on that since they ignorantly think it's a book of "fairy tales" but any person who calls himself a Christian should.

I disagree.

IF and only IF the material expositions given in the Bible increase your faith and affect your actions, then they become important.

Obviously Jesus didn't think that much about the ancient cosmology of the universe because that's not what his teachings were about.

Bottomline, this might as well be a deception from the devil, but in a way that's pure propaganda: keep christians arguing about evolution which is entirely unimportant and keep them off things that actually matter. Every time you argue against or for evolution, the devil wins (?).

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Sep 30th, 2015 09:13 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by BackFire
God damn it guys, I'm not changing the title again. I'm only one man! And that man is lazy.
Still begs the question: "Why is the theory of evolution considered a threat by so many Christians?"

Old Post Sep 30th, 2015 09:13 PM
Star428
Restricted

Account Restricted

LOL. IT's still obviously a troll thread with that title (which is still a lie). Only reason why you won't admit it is because you're an atheist.

BUt whatever. Not worth arguing over it with an atheist who refuses to admit truth and deludes himself into thinking CHristians "feel threatened" by the lie of evolution. thumb up

Most people believe Evolution not because they themselves are dumb, but cause they trust the "experts" who are feeding them evolutionary fast food, and so they don't bother questioning whether or not it's true.

Old Post Sep 30th, 2015 09:16 PM
Star428 is currently offline Click here to Send Star428 a Private Message Find more posts by Star428 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

This is going to sound harsh, but the answer is: because they are utterly stupid. Evolution doesn't even disprove God exists..so there is NO reason for any Christians to feel threatened by it.

I mean I don't believe in God, but if he was real...the thing about omnipotents is they can kinda sorta do anything. So a God could create a universe where evolution is a thing. So it is outright silly to be threatened by science of any kind.

Old Post Sep 30th, 2015 09:17 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Star428
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Bentley
I disagree.

IF and only IF the material expositions given in the Bible increase your faith and affect your actions, then they become important.

Obviously Jesus didn't think that much about the ancient cosmology of the universe because that's not what his teachings were about.

Bottomline, this might as well be a deception from the devil, but in a way that's pure propaganda: keep christians arguing about evolution which is entirely unimportant and keep them off things that actually matter. Every time you argue against or for evolution, the devil wins (?).

Disagree all u like, Bentley. You're wrong. God's Word is not supposed to be diluted or twisted or outright ignored. And any CHristian who just accepts evolution as "fact" needs to reexamine their beliefs. Bottom line is the Bible doesn't support evolution. PERIOD. I don't give a shit what any "scientist" says about apes turning into humans. LMAO. They're wrong.

Oh, and Jesus assumed that His followers already knew that He created the universe. He certainly didn't think they thought that evolution is how humans werebrought into the world or else He would've said something. The point is divine creation is an extremely important part of the Holy Bible. NO one should let their children be influenced by all this New Age crap and all these professors whotry to push the bullshit theory of evolution on them.

Last edited by Star428 on Sep 30th, 2015 at 09:30 PM

Old Post Sep 30th, 2015 09:20 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Star428
Disagree all u like, Bentley. You're wrong. God's Word is not supposed to be diluted or twisted or outright ignored. And any CHristian who just accepts evolution as "fact" needs to reexamine their beliefs. Bottom line is the Bible doesn't support evolution. PERIOD. I don't give a shit what any "scientists" says about apes turning into humans. LMAO. They're wrong.

So the bible is pro slavery. Thus can I assume you are pro slavery? If you aren't pro slavery, why not?

Oh..speaking of the bible, are you all for killing anyone who decides to work a 7 day work week? You are for that, right? Cuz the bible is.

Now the bonus question: what if a SLAVE works a 7 day work week? Does the bible tell us what to do then?

Last edited by Surtur on Sep 30th, 2015 at 09:23 PM

Old Post Sep 30th, 2015 09:21 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
psmith81992
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Robtard
Still begs the question: "Why is the theory of evolution considered a threat by so many Christians?"

quote:
Religiousness relates most strongly to these views, which is not surprising, given that this question deals directly with God's role in human origins. The percentage of Americans who accept the creationist viewpoint ranges from 69% among those who attend religious services weekly to 23% among those who seldom or never attend.

So a range of 23% or 69%, I still don't know what you define as "many". Furthermore, belief in creationism doesn't negate the belief in evolution.

quote:
I mean I don't believe in God, but if he was real...the thing about omnipotents is they can kinda sorta do anything. So a God could create a universe where evolution is a thing. So it is outright silly to be threatened by science of any kind.

Again, science isn't threatening religion in any way. Unless one is to claim that either evolution or science can be true but not neither, these "studies" don't say much.

Old Post Sep 30th, 2015 09:24 PM
psmith81992 is currently offline Click here to Send psmith81992 a Private Message Find more posts by psmith81992 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

OY VEY!

how about:

"why do certain persons of a certain religious affiliation feel in conflict with a certain scientific theory"

would that stop all the PC-whining?

Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage.

Old Post Sep 30th, 2015 09:24 PM
Bashar Teg is currently offline Click here to Send Bashar Teg a Private Message Find more posts by Bashar Teg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
psmith81992
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Bashar Teg
OY VEY!

how about :

"why do certain persons of a certain religious affiliation feel in conflict with a certain scientific theory"

would that stop all the PC-whining?

No, I thought you were a big fan of PC. And they answer is "they're not". Again..

Old Post Sep 30th, 2015 09:26 PM