KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Is life more or less meaningful with religion...

Is life more or less meaningful with religion...
Started by: riv6672

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Digi
Forum Leader

It always mystified me a bit when someone shares their opinion on the internet and the response it to tell them to calm down. I've been at this a decade. Nothing on KMC moves my emotional needle anymore. But you're welcome to address the points I made. You likely saw some sort of antagonism where none was present. I merely don't mince words when I believe something to be utterly false. But I'd welcome a discussion.

Old Post Oct 9th, 2015 11:12 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Digi
It always mystified me a bit when someone shares their opinion on the internet and the response it to tell them to calm down. I've been at this a decade. Nothing on KMC moves my emotional needle anymore. But you're welcome to address the points I made. You likely saw some sort of antagonism where none was present. I merely don't mince words when I believe something to be utterly false. But I'd welcome a discussion.

So, what you are saying is that your "emotional needle" is moved to "welcoming discussion"?

Old Post Oct 9th, 2015 11:30 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

Well, at the very least I think all can agree on that it can't be less meaningful with religion.

Old Post Oct 9th, 2015 11:45 PM
Astner is currently offline Click here to Send Astner a Private Message Find more posts by Astner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by Astner
Well, at the very least I think all can agree on that it can't be less meaningful with religion.

Well, I'm not sure I'd agree with that.

Old Post Oct 9th, 2015 11:49 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

Originally posted by Bardock42
Well, I'm not sure I'd agree with that.

Could you motivate why you're not sure whether you'd agree with it?

Old Post Oct 10th, 2015 12:23 AM
Astner is currently offline Click here to Send Astner a Private Message Find more posts by Astner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Could you motivate why you're not sure whether you'd agree with it?

Well, I think in essence I agree with Digi that meaning is made and not a given. So in that aspect I don't think Religion can be less meaningful, cause nothing has intrinsic meaning. However Religion can definitely make someone's life less impactful, for example by deferring to an afterlife rather than seizing the life one has, that could potentially be an interpretation of "meaning" in which Religion is a detriment.

Old Post Oct 10th, 2015 12:25 AM
Genesis-Soldier
god blessed him with a...

meaning is what you get from it

if you need religion to do that then thats cool, what ever

Old Post Oct 10th, 2015 01:04 AM
Genesis-Soldier is currently offline Click here to Send Genesis-Soldier a Private Message Find more posts by Genesis-Soldier Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

So, what you are saying is that your "emotional needle" is moved to "welcoming discussion"?

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Oct 10th, 2015 01:29 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

Well, I think in essence I agree with Digi that meaning is made and not a given. So in that aspect I don't think Religion can be less meaningful, cause nothing has intrinsic meaning.

Then you agree with my sentiment.

However Religion can definitely make someone's life less impactful, for example by deferring to an afterlife rather than seizing the life one has, that could potentially be an interpretation of "meaning" in which Religion is a detriment.

Impact is something that comes from a sense of meaningfulness. If you feel that your actions have meaning then you are more likely to act. You're suggesting the reverse, which doesn't necessarily hold.

Old Post Oct 10th, 2015 02:28 AM
StyleTime

(please log in to view the image)

Dude...that is really ****ing intense.

Old Post Oct 10th, 2015 02:35 AM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tattoos N Scars
Modern Day Drifter

Again, the premise of this thread is false. Because it presumes that external things can imbue life with meaning. Nothing has any intrinsic meaning until someone ascribes meaning to it. Religion doesn't give people meaning. People give religion meaning, and give their lives meaning through religion. But it's no more or less meaningful than any other source of meaning. In simpler terms, the person is the source of meaning.

So there isn't a yes or no answer to the OP that is true in a general sense beyond individual experiences. It isn't more or less meaningful without religion. It's exactly as meaningful as you make it.

And I say this twice now because it's one of the more bizarre falsehoods I see perpetuated about non-religion. That people can't fathom meaning outside of religion doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It only means their experience is limited. Maybe this isn't what Riv is saying, but it's very close to arguments I've heard several times, each as flawed as the next.

Are you married? Have children? If so, do they give your life meaning, or do you give family meaning by being part of it?

Old Post Oct 10th, 2015 02:52 AM
Tattoos N Scars is currently offline Click here to Send Tattoos N Scars a Private Message Find more posts by Tattoos N Scars Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Then you agree with my sentiment.

He doesn't. He agrees with mine.

stick out tongue

But seriously, the way you worded your initial assertion lends itself to different interpretations than "nothing has intrinsic meaning." Let's take a quick look:

At surface value, this seems to agree with the OP's premise that I refuted in my post(s), that religion has intrinsic meaning and "can't be less meaningful."

So even if he agrees with it in a technical sense, I wouldn't espouse that particular phrasing.

And for reference, I wouldn't agree with it. If meaning is personal and subjective, and someone defines that meaning more strongly in a secular worldview, religion can absolutely undermine it. Finding anecdotes of any of this is next to impossible because we're talking about primal internal motivations, so we have nothing to point to. But in theory your premise here is eminently refutable.

Originally posted by Tattoos N Scars
Are you married? Have children? If so, do they give your life meaning, or do you give family meaning by being part of it?

I think you may be confusing ideas here, but allow me to try to clarify.

OP's question concerns defining the meaningfulness - or lack thereof - of one's life. In that sense, nothing has intrinsic meaning until we ascribe it.

Your question seems to want to turn this on its head, and suggest that I'm saying that others have no meaning. Which it does not. Questions like "are they important?" or "do they have meaning?" are separate from "do they give your own life meaning?" The answers to the first two can be 'yes' without necessitating that the latter question also be a 'yes.'

Abstract it a level or two and it becomes easier to see. Take a family you've never met. Their existence means nothing to you personally, so it doesn't make your life meaningful. You don't define your intrinsic meaning through their existence. Yet, if you have any human decency - and of course you do - you'd also answer that their lives are meaningful. Two separate ideas, and I'm only talking about one of them.

Last edited by Digi on Oct 10th, 2015 at 05:33 AM

Old Post Oct 10th, 2015 05:23 AM
riv6672

It amuses me after 15 years when people on the internet say whatever they feel like, and get mystified when other people do the same.
So we're even. thumb up laughing

Old Post Oct 10th, 2015 10:48 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by riv6672
It amuses me after 15 years when people on the internet say whatever they feel like, and get mystified when other people do the same.
So we're even. thumb up laughing

You don't think the content of what is said matters?

Old Post Oct 10th, 2015 12:14 PM
Slay
Skyhighatrist

We attach ''meaning'' and values to things ourselves. Therefore the only correct answer can be: ''It depends on the person.''

Old Post Oct 10th, 2015 12:22 PM
Slay is currently offline Click here to Send Slay a Private Message Find more posts by Slay Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

You don't think the content of what is said matters?

Of course it does.
If i say "Good morning" to someone, and they reply with some Undercover Brother off the wall:
'Let me tell you something about the word "good," Riv. Good is an ancient anglo-saxon word, go-od, meanin the absence of color. I.E. it's all good, which it is, OR Good Will Huntin', meanin...'
What i say next is going to be based on that, rather than if the person had replied with a "Good morning" of his/her own.

Old Post Oct 10th, 2015 02:51 PM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

That said i'm not going to belabor that particular point any more. Done is done, on my part.

Old Post Oct 10th, 2015 02:53 PM
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

Its all about context, imo. If someone is too unethical and stupid to follow the golden rule, perhaps it's a good thing that they might believe in some angry dad in the sky waiting to whoop their ass in the afterlife as a consequence of their misdeeds..

Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage.

Old Post Oct 10th, 2015 03:01 PM
Bashar Teg is currently offline Click here to Send Bashar Teg a Private Message Find more posts by Bashar Teg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
psmith81992
Restricted

Account Restricted

On the other hand, if someone is too unethical or stupid to follow the golden rule, he can convince himself that everything is relative and there is no right or wrong.

There'll be a golden ladder reaching down.
When the man comes around.

Old Post Oct 10th, 2015 06:25 PM
psmith81992 is currently offline Click here to Send psmith81992 a Private Message Find more posts by psmith81992 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Originally posted by psmith81992
On the other hand, if someone is too unethical or stupid to follow the golden rule, he can convince himself that everything is relative and there is no right or wrong.

Or he can create the delusion that a god is guiding his actions.

Old Post Oct 10th, 2015 06:37 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote