KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Is life more or less meaningful with religion...

Is life more or less meaningful with religion...
Started by: riv6672

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

quote: (post)
Originally posted by psmith81992
On the other hand, if someone is too unethical or stupid to follow the golden rule, he can convince himself that everything is relative and there is no right or wrong.

keep beating that strwaman. you gonna win this shit, fam.

Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage.

Old Post Oct 10th, 2015 06:57 PM
Bashar Teg is currently offline Click here to Send Bashar Teg a Private Message Find more posts by Bashar Teg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Here is my question though for religious people when it comes to the meaning of life: If somehow tomorrow it was proven without a shadow of a doubt there was no God..what would you do? By this I mean..would you continue to live your life as you always did(minus going to church and stuff). Would you embrace a hedonistic lifestyle? Would you just say "f*ck it there is no point" and commit suicide?

Old Post Oct 10th, 2015 07:59 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

...or just ignore the evidence and go on believing.

Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage.

Old Post Oct 10th, 2015 08:01 PM
Bashar Teg is currently offline Click here to Send Bashar Teg a Private Message Find more posts by Bashar Teg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yes, but that is a cop out. I'm curious if people would legitimately just give up on life if they somehow found out God wasn't real.

Old Post Oct 10th, 2015 08:03 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
psmith81992
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Bashar Teg
keep beating that strwaman. you gonna win this shit, fam.
keep using words without understanding their meaning while also unable to spell them. Perhaps you should stop raging on your keyboard thumb up

There'll be a golden ladder reaching down.
When the man comes around.

Old Post Oct 10th, 2015 08:11 PM
psmith81992 is currently offline Click here to Send psmith81992 a Private Message Find more posts by psmith81992 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
psmith81992
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Surtur
Yes, but that is a cop out. I'm curious if people would legitimately just give up on life if they somehow found out God wasn't real.
it's not a fair question, basher's typically idiotic response aside. If religious people were to find out god wasn't real, it would be no different if atheists found out god was real. If the religious were to go on believing (lol), then the atheists will close their ears and eyes and scream, "i cant hear or see anything lalala."

Old Post Oct 10th, 2015 08:14 PM
psmith81992 is currently offline Click here to Send psmith81992 a Private Message Find more posts by psmith81992 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Trocity
Undefeated and Undisputed

It would be different, and you avoided answering.

Old Post Oct 10th, 2015 08:38 PM
Trocity is currently offline Click here to Send Trocity a Private Message Find more posts by Trocity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Personally i'd be only a little bummed, but, i'm not overly religious.

Old Post Oct 10th, 2015 08:51 PM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
psmith81992
Restricted

Account Restricted

Ok so you haven't even bothered to follow the conversation. Got it. Please amuse us and tell us how it would be different and why there are double standards here.

Old Post Oct 10th, 2015 08:52 PM
Bardock42

it's not a fair question, basher's typically idiotic response aside. If religious people were to find out god wasn't real, it would be no different if atheists found out god was real. If the religious were to go on believing (lol), then the atheists will close their ears and eyes and scream, "i cant hear or see anything lalala."

Hmm, I assume some atheists might. Personally I can't really think of what could prove the existence of a God that couldn't similarly be explained with a sufficiently advanced alien race for example, but assuming there was a way, I think atheists take issue with certain rules that are allegedly God's and if they turned out to be God's actual rules as well, atheists would potentially reject them.

Old Post Oct 10th, 2015 08:55 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
psmith81992
Restricted

Account Restricted

That's not really a fair assessment to call god anything extraterrestrial or what not because you're basically subscribing to the idea that there is no such thing and attributing anything out of the ordinary to everything but a god. Its self fulfilling.

And again, there is no way to prove or disprove god.

Old Post Oct 10th, 2015 08:59 PM
Bardock42

That's not really a fair assessment to call god anything extraterrestrial or what not because you're basically subscribing to the idea that there is no such thing and attributing anything out of the ordinary to everything but a god. Its self fulfilling.

And again, there is no way to prove or disprove god.

Well that's what I am saying, I can't even conceive of a way that God could prove that he is God.

I agree with that, the concept of a deist God is not disprovable, of course interactions with the material world can be proven to not have happened, but ultimately a God can not be completely disproven.

Old Post Oct 10th, 2015 09:02 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

quote:
... I can't really think of what could prove the existence of a God that couldn't similarly be explained with a sufficiently advanced alien race...

Same goes for religious folks. You say aliens did such and such. They'll ask, ah but who created the aliens.

Old Post Oct 10th, 2015 09:03 PM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by riv6672
Same goes for religious folks. You say aliens did such and such. They'll ask, ah but who created the aliens.

I'm not saying aliens did it, what I'm saying is that I can not think of a way a God could prove to exist that I couldn't attribute to technology, like say the Matrix. This is not anything for or against a God, it's a statement regarding the limit of human experiences.

Old Post Oct 10th, 2015 09:05 PM
psmith81992
Restricted

Account Restricted

I grant you that unless this being was consistent with the biblical god. But again i don't see a way to disprove his existence either. It's a very open ended topic and that won't ever change.

Old Post Oct 10th, 2015 09:10 PM
riv6672

Originally posted by Bardock42
I'm not saying aliens did it, what I'm saying is that I can not think of a way a God could prove to exist that I couldn't attribute to technology, like say the Matrix. This is not anything for or against a God, it's a statement regarding the limit of human experiences.

I agree.
In the end it really is about belief, no matter which side of things you come down on.

Old Post Oct 10th, 2015 09:23 PM
Bentley
Seitei

Originally posted by Digi
And for reference, I wouldn't agree with it. If meaning is personal and subjective, and someone defines that meaning more strongly in a secular worldview, religion can absolutely undermine it. Finding anecdotes of any of this is next to impossible because we're talking about primal internal motivations, so we have nothing to point to. But in theory your premise here is eminently refutable.

Why would religion would undermine a secular worldview? You seem to do fine with religion around.

Unless you aren't? confused

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Oct 11th, 2015 07:09 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by Bentley
Why would religion would undermine a secular worldview? You seem to do fine with religion around.

Unless you aren't? confused

In that statement I was talking about meaning for the person intrinsically. Not its presence in society as a whole, which has no affect on a person's "meaning" in life unless they define it through a religious context.

Old Post Oct 12th, 2015 02:35 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Prof. T.C McAbe
Kryptonian Scientist

Biah Digi is agressive, he should calm down.

Sig made by my mate, the one and only One_Angry_Scot

Old Post Oct 12th, 2015 02:44 AM
Prof. T.C McAbe is currently offline Click here to Send Prof. T.C McAbe a Private Message Find more posts by Prof. T.C McAbe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

laughing

Old Post Oct 12th, 2015 03:09 AM