KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Is life more or less meaningful with religion...

Is life more or less meaningful with religion...
Started by: riv6672

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
One Big Mob
Dead

When everything in life goes to shit it's nice to have something to believe in that can give you hope.

Old Post Oct 12th, 2015 03:41 AM
One Big Mob is currently offline Click here to Send One Big Mob a Private Message Find more posts by One Big Mob Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Hm... my response is... 'the question is wrong.'

Where does one find meaning? In being given it? In what one has done?

Is an accomplishment more impressive for being done on it's own?

Is meaningfulness, itself, a meaningful term?

(please log in to view the image)
Xkcd

Really, it is a subjective answer.

Personally, I've enjoyed judging meaningfulness of life on several different mutually exclusive measures ^^

Old Post Oct 12th, 2015 03:42 AM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Q99
Hm... my response is... 'the question is wrong.'

Where does one find meaning? In being given it? In what one has done?

Is an accomplishment more impressive for being done on it's own?

Is meaningfulness, itself, a meaningful term?

(please log in to view the image)
Xkcd

Really, it is a subjective answer.

Personally, I've enjoyed judging meaningfulness of life on several different mutually exclusive measures ^^

thumb up

Old Post Oct 12th, 2015 03:49 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Originally posted by Digi
In that statement I was talking about meaning for the person intrinsically. Not its presence in society as a whole, which has no affect on a person's "meaning" in life unless they define it through a religious context.

But how do you even impose religion into a person intrinsically?

Anyways, maybe there is a focus shift between the statement Astner made and your precision.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Oct 12th, 2015 04:57 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by Bentley
But how do you even impose religion into a person intrinsically?

Anyways, maybe there is a focus shift between the statement Astner made and your precision.

I think I see the misunderstanding, and I'm failing at disambiguating it. Apologies.

Astner said that at least we can agree that religion makes life no less meaningful. My first rebuttal to this is that because nothing is intrinsically meaningful, and people create their own meaning, that his idea was flawed from the start. Saying that it can't be less meaningful with religion implies some intrinsic meaning-value to religion.

I went on to further assert that someone could derive meaning from a non-religious source that is stronger than meaning that they derive from a religious source. So if they replaced the non-religious meaning with a religious one, it's theoretically possible that it would be less meaningful. I admitted that it would be nearly impossible to prove, because we're dealing with intensely personal, subjective motivations, so there's no way to confirm this. But at best his statement was poorly worded, and at worst it could be disproven.

On an anecdotal level, I consider myself to be a case study on my point. The meaning I derive from non-religious reasons is at least as strong as what I had when I was a devout Catholic. I can't say for certain if it's stronger, because again we're dealing with something so subjective that it defies empirical analysis on almost a primal level. I don't even know how I'd go about measuring it. But suffice it to say, it's sufficiently strong to make my point.

I was in no way talking about external imposition of religion/meaning on a person. Better?

Last edited by Digi on Oct 13th, 2015 at 01:45 AM

Old Post Oct 13th, 2015 01:42 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bluewaterrider

Nothing on KMC moves my emotional needle anymore.

I've got some private messages from you in my inbox that say otherwise, unless you're counting time from the point where you last sent such to me, and I'm really wondering now how much of what you write in threads like this can be trusted as a result.

Again the premise of this thread is false. Because it presumes that external things can imbue life with meaning. Nothing has any intrinsic meaning until someone ascribes meaning to it.

Presumably, God would fit into your category of "external things"?

IF that's so, what exactly is your proof of what you're saying?

Put as precisely as I am able to at this particular moment of time, what proof do you actually have that God is not able to imbue life with meaning for people?

Old Post Oct 13th, 2015 04:51 AM
bluewaterrider is currently offline Click here to Send bluewaterrider a Private Message Find more posts by bluewaterrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Besides, who doesn't want to go to secular heaven?

More seriously, possible things to devote oneself to with as much fervor as religion is serving humanity as a whole, helping anyone one happens to come across, following a specific cause or person, and so on.

Old Post Oct 13th, 2015 04:54 AM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by bluewaterrider
I've got some private messages from you in my inbox that say otherwise, unless you're counting time from the point where you last sent such to me, and I'm really wondering now how much of what you write in threads like this can be trusted as a result.

Presumably, God would fit into your category of "external things"?

IF that's so, what exactly is your proof of what you're saying?

Put as precisely as I am able to at this particular moment of time, what proof do you actually have that God is not able to imbue life with meaning for people?

You reached a sociopathic level of obsession with trying to brand me a hypocrite. You are singlehandedly the reason I don't share personal information on this site. Yes, we had some heated PMs, and they are/were clearly a much different situation than any in this thread. I have no idea why you want to bring them up again in any context. I debated even responding to you here, because I never want to interact with you again.

Please don't try to engage me again. Thanks.

Last edited by Digi on Oct 13th, 2015 at 05:05 AM

Old Post Oct 13th, 2015 05:02 AM
Bentley
Seitei

I think I see the misunderstanding, and I'm failing at disambiguating it. Apologies.

Astner said that at least we can agree that religion makes life no less meaningful. My first rebuttal to this is that because nothing is intrinsically meaningful, and people create their own meaning, that his idea was flawed from the start. Saying that it can't be less meaningful with religion implies some intrinsic meaning-value to religion.

I went on to further assert that someone could derive meaning from a non-religious source that is stronger than meaning that they derive from a religious source. So if they replaced the non-religious meaning with a religious one, it's theoretically possible that it would be less meaningful. I admitted that it would be nearly impossible to prove, because we're dealing with intensely personal, subjective motivations, so there's no way to confirm this. But at best his statement was poorly worded, and at worst it could be disproven.

On an anecdotal level, I consider myself to be a case study on my point. The meaning I derive from non-religious reasons is at least as strong as what I had when I was a devout Catholic. I can't say for certain if it's stronger, because again we're dealing with something so subjective that it defies empirical analysis on almost a primal level. I don't even know how I'd go about measuring it. But suffice it to say, it's sufficiently strong to make my point.

I was in no way talking about external imposition of religion/meaning on a person. Better?

Yes, I was under the impression that you meant something in the line of that. In the case you mention religion existing doesn't make a person with strong non-religious values feel less meaningful in anyway or form. That would still qualify under the original assessment of "religion not making life less meaningful" strictly speaking.

You could go even further and say that someone who had a bad experience with religion and then found meaning without any religious practice also got "better" thanks to his previous experience, which had an influence in his future dealings with life. Maybe that can be considered stretching to some degree (in a case to case basis it'll be very different I'd assume), but mostly it just muddles even more our ability to heavily deal with subjective controversial topics.

Old Post Oct 13th, 2015 05:27 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Yes, I was under the impression that you meant something in the line of that. In the case you mention religion existing doesn't make a person with strong non-religious values feel less meaningful in anyway or form. That would still qualify under the original assessment of "religion not making life less meaningful" strictly speaking.

You could go even further and say that someone who had a bad experience with religion and then found meaning without any religious practice also got "better" thanks to his previous experience, which had an influence in his future dealings with life. Maybe that can be considered stretching to some degree (in a case to case basis it'll be very different I'd assume), but mostly it just muddles even more our ability to heavily deal with subjective controversial topics.

To bring it back around, my original rebuttal to his line was my chief one: that nothing has intrinsic meaning until we ascribe it. Religion as an abstract concept, or even a particular set of beliefs, has only as much meaning as its given by individuals.

So religion doesn't make life less meaningful. But it's an impotent statement, because you could sub in literally any other concept for "religion" and it still works in a technical sense, since meaning is derived intrinsically. At best, it's true in a technical sense but still horribly worded in a way that suggests a premise I disagree with.

I probably should have stopped there, because it's the crux of my argument. To rebut it further had me diving into theoretical, subjective musings after I had already made my central point. And that's where we got a bit mired.

Old Post Oct 13th, 2015 05:33 AM
Bentley
Seitei

I probably should have stopped there, because it's the crux of my argument.

Who does that though? stick out tongue

Seriously, I'm not even sure that's a recommended debate strategy because you don't get to explore your ideas and refine them into better ones.

Is it a big misnomer to say one can lead a meaningful life? Because as far as I can tell we care about the illusion of meaning much more than actual meaning or reasoning behind it. To lead a meaningful life is probably closer to have a gut feeling of rightfulness (I'm just making up a word for it here), than actually searching for a definition to it. All this while technically allowing that fulfillment comes from gathering knowledge.

Old Post Oct 13th, 2015 05:43 AM
Digi
Forum Leader

Who does that though? stick out tongue

Seriously, I'm not even sure that's a recommended debate strategy because you don't get to explore your ideas and refine them into better ones.

Is it a big misnomer to say one can lead a meaningful life? Because as far as I can tell we care about the illusion of meaning much more than actual meaning or reasoning behind it. To lead a meaningful life is probably closer to have a gut feeling of rightfulness (I'm just making up a word for it here), than actually searching for a definition to it. All this while technically allowing that fulfillment comes from gathering knowledge.

Lol

Most of my posting here is to explore ideas. So you make an interesting point about simply talking being a good thing, even if that talking is with something less than certainty.

You're probably right about the 'illusion of meaning' to an extent, though. There are a lot of studies that suggest religious concepts came about as an evolutionary byproduct, serving their function by removing our cognitive dissonance about various topics. So, for example, our primitive ancestors couldn't hunt and gather if they were pondering existential questions about the meaningfulness of their lives. Religious concepts filled that void, and allowed them to go on with the business of surviving and procreating.

And, if we stopped and observed ourselves, we'd likely find that on a day to day basis, we're not actively pondering these things. We just sort of have a vague sense of purpose as we go about our routines. Religious or not, the idea of "meaning" is something of a placeholder so that we can go on with our lives. The sort of introspection that leads us to actively consider it at all times is often cause of depression or mid-life crises.

Old Post Oct 13th, 2015 05:50 AM
Bentley
Seitei

I ignored such studies existed, but that makes quite a lot of sense. If you remember where you heard of those please share, I'll try to be less lazy later and look around for them

Old Post Oct 13th, 2015 05:58 AM
Digi
Forum Leader

Well, I usually get crucified (joke intended) for linking people to books/authors instead of links they can read online. But a great start is Dan Dennett's "Breaking the Spell: Religion as a Natural Phenomenon"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Brea...enomen
on

It's certainly a field in need of additional study, but Dennett does a good job of backing his thesis with the empirical evidence we have, while pointing out what still needs investigation. If you're curious but not THAT curious, I'm sure there exist ample synopses online.

{edit} no idea why the link's broken. I can't fix it. It's just the Wiki, though. A Google search will send you there.

Last edited by Digi on Oct 13th, 2015 at 06:13 AM

Old Post Oct 13th, 2015 06:11 AM
riv6672

Heh. smile

Old Post Oct 13th, 2015 09:43 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Trocity
Undefeated and Undisputed

Originally posted by psmith81992
Please amuse us and tell us how it would be different and why there are double standards here.

Because atheists lives don't revolve around their disbelief in god.

Old Post Oct 14th, 2015 12:01 AM
Trocity is currently offline Click here to Send Trocity a Private Message Find more posts by Trocity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
long pig
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Trocity

Have you ever met an atheist? That's pretty much what defines them. The disbelief in God and the hatred of those who disagree.

Supa-Mayne!

Old Post Oct 14th, 2015 12:26 AM
long pig is currently offline Click here to Send long pig a Private Message Find more posts by long pig Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by long pig
Have you ever met an atheist? That's pretty much what defines them. The disbelief in God and the hatred of those who disagree.

I'd level the same question at you. As a card-carrying atheist, I can tell you that KMC represents about 99% of the time my atheism actually means much to my life. And my hatred for others is (nearly) nonexistent. I'm only human, but I find that attempting understanding is better than hatred, even when I vehemently disagree with someone.

As ever, though, the line between baiting/trolling and sincerity is difficult to discern with you. I don't actually think you believe your own words here. Or wouldn't if you applied a modicum of scrutiny to them.

Old Post Oct 14th, 2015 01:14 AM
long pig
Restricted

Account Restricted

I was exaggerating, but honestly, for a lot of athiests, not being religious is the main theme in their lives. Plus their condescension towards the faithful....mostly Christians.

Supa-Mayne!

Old Post Oct 14th, 2015 01:32 AM
long pig is currently offline Click here to Send long pig a Private Message Find more posts by long pig Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
psmith81992
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Trocity
you've proven otherwise thumb up

There'll be a golden ladder reaching down.
When the man comes around.

Old Post Oct 14th, 2015 01:38 AM
psmith81992 is currently offline Click here to Send psmith81992 a Private Message Find more posts by psmith81992 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote