KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » TV Talk Forum » Supernatural Season 11

Supernatural Season 11
Started by: Surtur

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (21): « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
80sBaby
The Kid

quote: (post)
Originally posted by MF DELPH
Sam's smarter, but Dean's more lethal and more likely to get the job done, particularly when things get messy. It's like picking Ryu or Ken.

See, I disagree here. Sam's more lethal than Dean because he's so smart. Dean might be quicker to try and kill something but Sam would have the better chance of getting it done.

Also, when Sam goes "dark," he's a whole lot scarier than Dean. That's because, as the characters have mentioned, Sam is more like their father. He can become so focused on a target, he'll risk losing his soul (so to speak) to accomplish his mission of vengeance. Look at how he was when he was after Lilith or when tracking down the Trickster.

Old Post Nov 20th, 2015 04:29 PM
80sBaby is currently offline Click here to Send 80sBaby a Private Message Find more posts by 80sBaby Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

I disagree that Sam is "smarter" than Dean. Dean has on plenty of occasions shown himself to be a very intelligent, as well as a capable strategist and leader, and has sometimes even surprised Sam with his knowledge of obscure lore Sam wasn't even aware of. They just have different areas where they excel at. Sam has the more researcher's mind (unsurprising, considering his plans for college etc), where as Dean has more of a soldier/military mindset. It's what makes them such an effective team. They compliment each other.

On to the actual episode... those costumes were creepy as f***.

Last edited by TheVaultDweller on Nov 20th, 2015 at 05:11 PM

Old Post Nov 20th, 2015 05:07 PM
TheVaultDweller is currently offline Click here to Send TheVaultDweller a Private Message Find more posts by TheVaultDweller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
illadelph
aka Rakim Illa

Originally posted by 80sBaby
See, I disagree here. Sam's more lethal than Dean because he's so smart. Dean might be quicker to try and kill something but Sam would have the better chance of getting it done.

Also, when Sam goes "dark," he's a whole lot scarier than Dean. That's because, as the characters have mentioned, Sam is more like their father. He can become so focused on a target, he'll risk losing his soul (so to speak) to accomplish his mission of vengeance. Look at how he was when he was after Lilith or when tracking down the Trickster.

I'd disagree there as well because, as has been shown in various seasons, Sam is more likely to hold back. He's capable of "going dark", but he's very apprehensive about doing so, and those instances of being so focused he's willing to lose his soul are few and far between. Dean, on the other hand, doesn't have as many reservations. That is why, as mentioned before, Dean was able to thrive in Purgatory, and is more likely to get jobs done. In the field having to adapt on the fly I'm rolling with Dean. If I have time to prepare I'm asking Sam to assist, but Dean's likely going to end up saving our asses if the plan falls through.

PSN: Illadelph12Prime, Haksaw_Jim_Thugn - Tumblr: Mighty-Illactus
>Z<

Old Post Nov 20th, 2015 05:10 PM
illadelph is currently offline Click here to Send illadelph a Private Message Find more posts by illadelph Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
illadelph
aka Rakim Illa

Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
I disagree that Sam is "smarter" than Dean. Dean has on plenty of occasions shown himself to be a very intelligent, as well as a capable strategist and leader, and has sometimes even surprised Sam with his knowledge of obscure lore Sam wasn't even aware of. They just have different areas where they excel at. Sam has the more researcher's mind (unsurprising, considering his plans for college etc), where as Dean has more of a soldier/military mindset. It's what makes them such an effective team. They compliment each other.

On to the actual episode... those costumes were creepy as f***.

Akin to the Ken vs. Ryu analogy, in intelligence they're Reed Richards (Sam) vs. Tony Stark (Dean).

PSN: Illadelph12Prime, Haksaw_Jim_Thugn - Tumblr: Mighty-Illactus
>Z<

Old Post Nov 20th, 2015 05:13 PM
illadelph is currently offline Click here to Send illadelph a Private Message Find more posts by illadelph Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
80sBaby
The Kid

Originally posted by MF DELPH
I'd disagree there as well because, as has been shown in various seasons, Sam is more likely to hold back. He's capable of "going dark", but he's very apprehensive about doing so, and those instances of being so focused he's willing to lose his soul are few and far between. Dean, on the other hand, doesn't have as many reservations. That is why, as mentioned before, Dean was able to thrive in Purgatory, and is more likely to get jobs done. In the field having to adapt on the fly I'm rolling with Dean. If I have time to prepare I'm asking Sam to assist, but Dean's likely going to end up saving our asses if the plan falls through.

Fair enough.

Old Post Nov 20th, 2015 06:14 PM
80sBaby is currently offline Click here to Send 80sBaby a Private Message Find more posts by 80sBaby Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindset

So Dean's a better researcher than Sam, research isn't important and Dean's not cooler/more popular? Really?
Sam isn't really a better researcher, Dean just doesn't like doing it so he makes Sam do it, this has been touched on in the episodes.

Dean comes up with plans just as well as Sam does.

I don't think Dean is more popular, actually. They seem to have the same amount of fans.

Sometimes all you have left is your Rage

Old Post Nov 20th, 2015 10:04 PM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

I think Sam is overall the smarter of the two, but that is just me. Notice I said overall though and didn't specify the smarter hunter. But I think the theme here is that Sam has the capability..he just doesn't have the drive. Not like Dean does.

Whoever brought up purgatory, that was a good example. I think Sam could of survived purgatory, but I think the difference is a part of Dean enjoyed it.

That is why I could never see Dean settling down long term. Yeah he had that year with Lisa, but he'd gone through a lot the previous 5 years. When Sam was with Amy or Emily or Amelia or whatever her name was..he was with her, fully. He didn't try to save Dean or bring him back. Dean can't say the same thing about his year with Lisa.

Last edited by Surtur on Nov 20th, 2015 at 11:54 PM

Old Post Nov 20th, 2015 11:49 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Being "smarter" is very subjective though. For example, who is really "smarter"? A renowned scientific researcher, or a renowned military general? I haven't seen anything to suggest to me either brother is smarter overall, but they do certainly each have areas where they excel over the other. Like I mentioned earlier, they are kind of the yin to each others yang, in that they provide a very good balance as a team. Both would have made awful original Men of Letters though. They aren't capable of sitting on their asses that long doing nothing while just hoarding books and artifacts. laughing

I don't think it could be YED aka Azazel, unless the writers plan to really butcher their own canon, considering he was killed by the Colt, which means he should be very very dead and not coming back. I personally still feel it is Lucifer sending Sam messages.

Also, Dean, on the Cage, in the end of the previous episode: "Not gonna happen". Famous last words. laughing

Old Post Nov 21st, 2015 02:52 AM
TheVaultDweller is currently offline Click here to Send TheVaultDweller a Private Message Find more posts by TheVaultDweller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindset

It being the yellow eyed demon would be incredibly stupid.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2015 03:03 AM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
Being "smarter" is very subjective though. For example, who is really "smarter"? A renowned scientific researcher, or a renowned military general? I haven't seen anything to suggest to me either brother is smarter overall, but they do certainly each have areas where they excel over the other. Like I mentioned earlier, they are kind of the yin to each others yang, in that they provide a very good balance as a team. Both would have made awful original Men of Letters though. They aren't capable of sitting on their asses that long doing nothing while just hoarding books and artifacts. laughing

I don't think it could be YED aka Azazel, unless the writers plan to really butcher their own canon, considering he was killed by the Colt, which means he should be very very dead and not coming back. I personally still feel it is Lucifer sending Sam messages.

Also, Dean, on the Cage, in the end of the previous episode: "Not gonna happen". Famous last words. laughing

But how can Sam not be smarter over all, didn't he get into somewhere like Stanford? Something tells me Dean isn't smarter then Sam when it comes to math, science, or non-paranormal history.

Originally posted by Mindset
It being the yellow eyed demon would be incredibly stupid.

It would be stupid, but then I could overlook it because I like the YED.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2015 04:19 AM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindset

Sam was getting his law degree. I don't know if they ever said what his undergrad was, but unless it was a STEM degree, he just did the intro level science/math classes and those are easy as shit.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2015 04:23 AM
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Originally posted by Surtur
But how can Sam not be smarter over all, didn't he get into somewhere like Stanford? Something tells me Dean isn't smarter then Sam when it comes to math, science, or non-paranormal history.

Absence of evidence isn't really evidence though. We have no real idea what Dean would have done if he wasn't a hunter and raised the way he was by John. And both brothers have shown an understanding of things like science and chemistry, like when they make homemade explosives and things. And the history thing is not really the best example, considering we know Sam is a history geek and that Dean doesn't care much for that stuff.

And I didn't say Dean is smarter than Sam. I actually said they both have areas they excel at. For example, let's say Sam might be better at math. On the flip side, based on what we know, he doesn't have anywhere near Dean's knowledge of fixing and repairing, mechanical things etc.

Also, knowledge =/= wisdom or intelligence. I know plenty of people who know a lot of facts, but are not necessarily that intelligent.

So it isn't really a case of one being smarter than the other IMO. More a case of one just having more knowledge and skill in some areas than the other one does. Hence why I said they balance each other out well as a team.

Last edited by TheVaultDweller on Nov 21st, 2015 at 07:42 AM

Old Post Nov 21st, 2015 07:37 AM
80sBaby
The Kid

Originally posted by Mindset
Sam was getting his law degree. I don't know if they ever said what his undergrad was, but unless it was a STEM degree, he just did the intro level science/math classes and those are easy as shit.

Not only was he in law school, Sam apparently scored ridiculously high on his LSAT.

On a different note, I agree the brothers both excel at different things. IMO, they should go in the direction of training the next generation of hunters. Dean is great with children and has a lot of experience in watching over youngsters. It's a character trait (like Sam is better with animals.) Sam is perfect for rebuilding the MoL organization. With all their accumulated knowledge/skills, the Winchesters should be able to create something pretty epic.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2015 02:09 AM
Mindset

Not only was he in law school, Sam apparently scored ridiculously high on his LSAT.

On a different note, I agree the brothers both excel at different things. IMO, they should go in the direction of training the next generation of hunters. Dean is great with children and has a lot of experience in watching over youngsters. It's a character trait (like Sam is better with animals.) Sam is perfect for rebuilding the MoL organization. With all their accumulated knowledge/skills, the Winchesters should be able to create something pretty epic.
Pretty sure the lsat doesn't have math or science.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2015 06:55 AM
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

I can see the young adult spin-off series already...

Supernatural Presents: Sam & Dean's Hunter Academy

laughing

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2015 01:22 PM
quanchi112
Disney

I gave up after season eight. Just lost interest entirely.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2015 03:55 PM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Originally posted by quanchi112

That's fair really. After season 5 the show was all over the place, and had a few poor seasons between then and the current one, but season 11 has been better so far.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2015 05:23 PM
Mindset

Originally posted by quanchi112
You really aren't missing much, I'm enjoying this season though.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2015 05:39 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Season 8 was awful because of Amelia and all the flashbacks of her Sam would have at the most inappropriate times. Then the whole thing with Dean and Castiel in purgatory but then Dean doesn't actually remember what happened because...reasons.

Last edited by Surtur on Nov 23rd, 2015 at 11:18 PM

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2015 11:16 PM
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

I am curious to see how the next episode plays out. Looks pretty insane from the promo, and is directed by Richard Speight, Jr., who actually plays Gabriel in the show.

Old Post Nov 28th, 2015 04:36 PM