KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Lord of the Rings » Is The Hobbit Canon?

Is The Hobbit Canon?
Started by: GordonSkywalker

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
GordonSkywalker
The Watcher

Account Restricted

Is The Hobbit Canon?

I am new to the LOTR universe but have had friends who have always told me about the book called The Hobbit. Well my understanding is that The Hobbit is a sort of prequel or introduction to the actual LOTR trilogy and thus not part of the official canon.Do any of the LOTR experts here know if this is true or not? Is The Hobbit considered as binding in the official LOTR universe?

Old Post May 26th, 2003 12:37 AM
GordonSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send GordonSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by GordonSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Oh yes, very much canon. Tolkien even altered a chapter of The Hobbit once LOTR was released to make it fit better and the appendices to LOTR include stories relayed by Gandalf about the relevance of the events of the Hobbit to LOTR.

So yup, as canon as you can get.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post May 26th, 2003 12:49 AM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
GordonSkywalker
The Watcher

Account Restricted

Thus my first and probably last thread in this section ends.........

Old Post May 26th, 2003 01:27 AM
GordonSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send GordonSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by GordonSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

You should post in here more often GS. It's very fun to prove that you're right and the other person's wrong.... evil face

Old Post May 26th, 2003 04:33 AM
REXXXX is currently offline Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
GordonSkywalker
The Watcher

Account Restricted

Thanks Rex. So what are your thoughts on The Hobbit?

Last edited by GordonSkywalker on May 26th, 2003 at 10:31 AM

Old Post May 26th, 2003 10:28 AM
finti

Hobbit wasnt all that good, not compared to the LOTR

Old Post May 26th, 2003 10:30 AM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
GordonSkywalker
The Watcher

Account Restricted

I never finished the book my neighbor once gave me to read but I did read The Fellowship of the Ring and liked it.

Old Post May 26th, 2003 10:32 AM
Allor_Vader
Elven Warrior of the RP

Haldir will be avenged, and I am the one who will do it*pulls out bow and arrows*Of course that was in the 2nd movie not the 2nd book.

Old Post May 26th, 2003 01:09 PM
Allor_Vader is currently offline Click here to Send Allor_Vader a Private Message Find more posts by Allor_Vader Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
GordonSkywalker
The Watcher

Account Restricted

Interesting. So the movies don't always stick to the books?

Old Post May 26th, 2003 01:11 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Nope

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post May 26th, 2003 01:43 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
GordonSkywalker
The Watcher

Account Restricted

Dramatic purposes I bet.

Old Post May 26th, 2003 02:09 PM
Phoenix
Luna Lovegood

The movies stick to the books about as little as they possibly can without telling a completely different story! Although I don't mind - both the books and films are very good!

And Haldir SHALL be avenged!!

Old Post May 26th, 2003 04:16 PM
Phoenix is currently offline Click here to Send Phoenix a Private Message Find more posts by Phoenix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
GordonSkywalker
The Watcher

Account Restricted

Thanks for explaning that Phoenix.

Old Post May 26th, 2003 08:50 PM