KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Reflections on the Art of Living

Reflections on the Art of Living
Started by: Digi

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Digi
Forum Leader

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Bardock42
I have a digital copy of The Hero with a Thousand Faces, but have never finished it. I've gotten somewhat out of reading full books, and average only like 1 a year now. A few more with Audiobooks. Maybe you could explain a bit more of the "mystical" aspects that speak to you, the messages in his works you find wonderful?

I think generally not just stories but narratives are so important in our day to day life. Basically everything from politics to work to private life is filled with different narratives that informs decisions and the way we think.

As an aside maybe, not sure you play video games, but if you do, have you played "Journey" on the Playstation 3/4? It's a game very much inspired by the hero's journey. Extra Credits did a video about it at well (with some spoilers).

The Hero's Journey has become a bit ubiquitous in lots of genres. I haven't played Journey but I have, for example, read a book about utilizing the hero's journey to write novels and screenplays. The Hero's Journey played an integral role in George Lucas crafting the original Star Wars films, for another well-known example.

Some dislike this because they think it reduces storytelling to a specific template. I'd argue that it does that only in the wrong hands, as the particulars and myriad permutations of the journey make for near-infinite variability. But once you're aware of the basics, you do start to see a lot of it in movies especially, but also other forms of art on occasion.

I'm in communications/marketing, and have also been a freelance writer. Literally everything I do ties into the idea of narrative in some way. So I understand and agree with you wholeheartedly on narrative, and how it shapes our understanding and approach to nearly anything. And yes, it literally can change the way we think.

And it's not mystical aspects, per se, as that implies somewhat specific beliefs. But I first encountered this firsthand as part of a Greek organization. The initiation rituals and tennants mirrored those of numerous ancient esoteric traditions. The Masons are another well-known example with similar rites and codes. It doesn't require the supernatural, but is - at its core - a vehicle for creating awareness of personal ideals. Usually they juxtapose these ideals with the materialistic outside world, which doesn't cater to the "higher self." Whether to find comfort, solace, strength, or many times to literally transcend those baser instincts, there's some call to action in service of higher goals and ideals than are normally presented to us. And many more public religions and myths tell the same stories with the same end goals, though they're often obscured by petty conflicts or the need to treat myth as literal, historical fact, thus obscuring the metaphoric meaning(s).

Now, I am a huge advocate of free thinking, so I don't necessarily think one Order or another has the best ideals by which to live. But I've also heard other free thinkers disparage such traditions, because they espouse a particular set of standardized values. Or because - as with the Masons - they keep things secretive. I'm not as hard on them on either count, because I can see the aim as being noble, and I think that contemplation of living by a set of noble ideals - whatever form they may take for you - can be a valuable practice that can not only benefit the world around us but, importantly, the individual as well.

Old Post May 30th, 2016 04:03 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Grand-Moff-Gav

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Digi
“There is a definition of God which has been repeated by many philosophers. God is an intelligible sphere—a sphere known to the mind, not to the senses—whose center is everywhere and whose circumference is nowhere. And the center is right where you’re sitting. And the other one is right where I’m sitting. And each of us is a manifestation of that mystery. That’s a nice mythological realization that sort of gives you a sense of who and what you are.”

The Power of Myth

For Parmenides the sphere was Being

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2016 09:27 PM
Grand-Moff-Gav is currently offline Click here to Send Grand-Moff-Gav a Private Message Find more posts by Grand-Moff-Gav Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote