KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » The Hulk has horrible special effects!

The Hulk has horrible special effects!
Started by: Tex

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Sifer

Hrmmm have any of actually watched the features on the Extended Edition of Lord of the Rings. I'm guessin not. If you had, I doubt you would be saying what you are now. There are shots in Lord of the Rings which you would not, seriously, know they are computer generated. Yes, that includes humans. Just to add, the characters in Lord of the Rings undergone the same treatment as the Matrix Reloaded in terms of special effects (scanned into the computer) before Matrix Reloaded even began filming.

The special effects in Episode 1 are garbage. I thought that when I went to see it. It just didn't look right. Episode II was much better but there was still the problem of Jar Jar - He just doesn't feel right when I see him on screen.

I will be honest, I downloaded the sample file for the Workprint version of the Hulk just to see the quality. Well it showed the scene from the picture of the one which can be found on the forum and around the net (the close up of his face). It was good, but it looks nowhere near as good when it is in motion.

Gollum on the other hand...WOW! Everything he does is believable because everything he does was actually done by Andy Serkis in motion capture. Every facial movement was from Andy Serkis acting out the part. This then goes along with his voice which he also did. What I am trying to say is that he was the first fully actor orientated computer generated character ever. So if you see something in the film with Gollum that you say - that isn't possible...well it is because Andy Serkis did it all smile

AliasNeo15: Did you not think the top down camera shot of all the fellowship running across the bridge of Khazad-dum looked realistic? Because the bridge used was actually real but the actors weren't. Motion captured by them, but they where computer generated in that scene. Also in MANY other scenes smile

The thing about Lord of the Rings is that all the computer generated characters fit perfectly into the environment which Jackson created from Tolkiens vision. The Cave Troll for instance, just looks like it should be there...if you know what I mean.

Old Post Jun 19th, 2003 03:39 PM
Sifer is currently offline Click here to Send Sifer a Private Message Find more posts by Sifer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JerseyBoy

Yes Star Wars and LOTR both had good special effects, but saying they look'd real?????Come on compares to what? Its not like we can sit there and say to ourselves "Ah, now thats what a long-ear'd amazingly annoying alien would look like."

And I believe some one made a reference to Lou Ferrigino being a better hulk. The comic book version of the incredible hulk is incredibly(damnit wheres my thesaurus) large so its not like they could of taken a body builder and painted him green. Also, I think this version of Shrek is going to be so much better than the first.

Old Post Jun 19th, 2003 07:11 PM
JerseyBoy is currently offline Click here to Send JerseyBoy a Private Message Find more posts by JerseyBoy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor_Pessoba
Lulu's Man

I didnt say The Hulk looked better than Gollum.i said the CGI looks the same.........Industrial Light and Magic made Gollum...they also made the Hulk....so they used the same program to do both...thus the CGI does look as good because it is the same...they did motion capture, and expression capture for the Hulk as well..I just watched Hulk: the lowdown..and I still say he looks good...I mean how good do you want him to look.......it is just a comic book movie..it isnt suppose to be real

Old Post Jun 19th, 2003 09:44 PM
Senor_Pessoba is currently offline Click here to Send Senor_Pessoba a Private Message Find more posts by Senor_Pessoba Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Amigo

Re: The Hulk has horrible special effects!

Dah...what is wrong with your eyes bo-e!!! The Hulk is computer generated!!!! Would like to see you do better....

quote:
Originally posted by Tex
Its laughable. I've seen better effects in Gamecube games!
The Hulk himself looks really bad! Totally fake!

How can they release something like that?
Its horrible! sick

Old Post Jun 20th, 2003 02:14 AM
Amigo is currently offline Click here to Send Amigo a Private Message Find more posts by Amigo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sifer

Errr no Industrial Light and magic DID NOT make Gollum. WETA Digital which is owned and created by Peter Jackson made Gollum as with all the SFX in LOTR. This is their first set of films and they out do ILM - It made me chuckle smile

Old Post Jun 20th, 2003 07:04 AM
Sifer is currently offline Click here to Send Sifer a Private Message Find more posts by Sifer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor_Pessoba
Lulu's Man

...and the wheel just keeps on spinning and spinning

Old Post Jun 20th, 2003 08:15 AM
Senor_Pessoba is currently offline Click here to Send Senor_Pessoba a Private Message Find more posts by Senor_Pessoba Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mitsubishi Beat

I saw The Hulk..and liked it. I thought it was better than X-2 and Daredevil, although that's not really saying much.

Old Post Jun 20th, 2003 10:13 PM
Mitsubishi Beat is currently offline Click here to Send Mitsubishi Beat a Private Message Find more posts by Mitsubishi Beat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
evanwreck

what? the effects were great!

I heard so much talk about how the effects sucked in the hulk, but i was overwhelmed in how good they were? had everyone gone insane? i admit, i thought the effects sucked when i saw the commercials, but when you actually get to see the movie, the effects are excellent---

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2003 12:07 AM
evanwreck is currently offline Click here to Send evanwreck a Private Message Find more posts by evanwreck Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
evanwreck

what? the effects were great!

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2003 12:13 AM
evanwreck is currently offline Click here to Send evanwreck a Private Message Find more posts by evanwreck Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FLIPMODE

HOLY SMOKES...YOU GOTTA KILL THIS THREAD....From May 26th when this thread was made, the world including I, was under the wrong impression, judging this movie from the Commercials.

The effects in this Movie were EASILY the Best of the year so far, and the HULK LOOKED INCREDIBLE. There I said It.

There's SOOO MANY CG Scenes that looked good, I Really can't even go into them all. SO I'll just Mention one, that really Shined to me.

Then One by One, everyone else can name one great looking scene, until this thread is reversed into the "HULK LOOKS GREAT!!"

Here's Mine:

The Scene where the Hulk Fights the Big Dogs, damn that looked Great.
Ok 2 more, The expression on Hulk when he has the remains of the destroyed tank, and it looks like Thor's Hammer, Hulk, Looked SOO COOl. Also when the Hulk was gripped onto the F-16, that looked amazing good, dare I say Real. I was totally engulfed in ALL of His Battle Scenes. And unlike Most Movies his scenes got better and Better.

OH YEAH THIS MOVIE ROCKED.

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2003 06:20 AM
FLIPMODE is currently offline Click here to Send FLIPMODE a Private Message Find more posts by FLIPMODE Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Johnson

Smile i really liked them

I THOUGHT THE animation was amazing and the special effects were really fun to watch, its just there should have been more of them, alot more. is a boring movie other than the frigin fiting,

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2003 09:38 PM
Johnson is currently offline Click here to Send Johnson a Private Message Find more posts by Johnson Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
alleycat07

Angry

hey the hulk is a brilliant movie thank god we even have such masterpieces in our possion!!!!!!!!!!!!!! mad

Old Post Jul 1st, 2003 03:06 AM
alleycat07 is currently offline Click here to Send alleycat07 a Private Message Find more posts by alleycat07 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sifer

It was an F22 smile

Old Post Jul 1st, 2003 04:50 AM
VenomVA

Hello Everyone,

I'm new here but I just had to add my 2 cents to this thread.

First of all people complain about Hulk being CG and that he looks fake, Lou was a better Hulk..yadda yadda.

1. I am a fan of the comics, and I grew up watching the Hulk TV show.

I enjoyed the TV show but then later got into the cartoon series and when I heard they were coming out with a movie my first thought was...BASE IT ON THE COMICS NOT THE TV SHOW!

AND THAT'S WHAT THEY DID, AND I LOVE THEM FOR THAT!

Reasons:

TV show hulk had issues turning a car over.....comic/movie hulk lifts them with one hand (HULK BASH!).

TV show hulk did alot of walking and riding to get around.....comic/movie Hulk JUMPED to get around

TV show hulk went around helping people but hiding from a reporter?.....comic/movie hulk had to fight the army, shield, and other monsters/things.

How are they going to have a real person in make up pick up a tank or hit the ground and make cars move or fight Big @$$ dogs? THEY CAN'T! So they made Hulk CG! I think he looks Great and the movie is great (coming from a comic fan). So what it starts slow...that's call charcter build up for those that hasn't read the comic or watched the cartoons...so what they changed the story of how he becomes the hulk...it would be boring to hear the same story over and over! I'm glad they made adjustments to Hulk's story and Spidey's story....Did anyone complain that stick wasn't in Daredevil as much?
Anyways, I liked the movie and saw it 3 times in the theater and will be getting it on DVD!

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2003 04:48 PM
VenomVA is currently offline Click here to Send VenomVA a Private Message Find more posts by VenomVA Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
nopy

quote:
Originally posted by FLIPMODE

The effects in this Movie were EASILY the Best of the year so far, and the HULK LOOKED INCREDIBLE. There I said It.

There's SOOO MANY CG Scenes that looked good, I Really can't even go into them all. SO I'll just Mention one, that really Shined to me.

Then One by One, everyone else can name one great looking scene, until this thread is reversed into the "HULK LOOKS GREAT!!"

Yes but nearly everyone can name badly done scenes as well, the problem is that one bad scene makes all the difference.

People have been cussing Matrix reloaded for the few scenes that a CGI neo was used and saying it wasnt realistic. It takes a lot to capture the respect of the audience but not much to lose it ! One bad scene undoes all the hard work that the effects company have put in.

There are acouple of scenes in the hulk that are so bad that effects wise that they would be better left out. One scene looked as if it had been drawn in microsoft Paintbrush ! Obviously a scene from the earlier days of production. In another scene there were rendering problems with hulk's pants.

ANd lets not even start on the storyline shall we. Bottom line ? lets hope they dont try to make a sequel.

I also agree that peter jackson's rendition of Golum is amazing. His eyes are bit reflective but that the way tolkien wrote him. I have heard some people say that they thoought Golum was the best actor in TTT .Good effort ! Jar Jar binks on the other hand is the exact opposite to this

Old Post Jul 6th, 2003 11:49 AM
nopy is currently offline Click here to Send nopy a Private Message Find more posts by nopy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Anubis The God

This Anubis.

Oh my word. I'm new to this forum but please people. As a comic fan you guys kill me.

"Hulk is fake"

Newsflash!!! He's 15ft 2000lbs. No human could play him. The graphics are by far the best of the year. The story kicks the ass of most other movies out there and everything about it is the shit.

"So what it starts slow...that's call charcter build up for those that hasn't read the comic or watched the cartoons...so what they changed the story of how he becomes the hulk..."

They didn't even change it. They just tweaked the story. Bruce turns into the Hulk by being severly exposed to gamma radiation thru saving someones life. This happened in the movie but in a different way. The less Hulk in the movie, the better in my opinion. That means when he does come along it will be more impactful. I love it when people call the Hulk fake coz they are just sad enough to go into a cinema looking for bad things with a fine tooth comb. The reasons why people say Hulk looks fake is coz of his size and colour. If you don't want unrealistic things then best bet is to not see a comic adaptation isn't it you morons? Daredevil, A man who is blind yet can fight better than most men with 20/20 vision. Extremely real is it not? Spider-man, has the powers of a spider. Hardly hardcore realism. Yet that is why it is so fun. You can have your Matrices (Matrix is my fav movies by the way) with their EXTREMELY deep plots. Hulk has a deep plot too. But come on. It's just a raw adrenaline rush of excitement to see the Hulk rip tanks apart. People who don't like it are lame in my opinion. Ang keep doing your thing and give us a trilogy.

Old Post Jul 14th, 2003 09:38 PM
Anubis The God is currently offline Click here to Send Anubis The God a Private Message Find more posts by Anubis The God Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CaptainTrips

UMM yeah..that scene with the dogs...it only looked good cuz it was dark as hell..they must have run out of money for lighting cuz they spent it all on the CGI..yeah that's it..Hulk looks good in the daylight though..fighting the tanks and choppers..clue me in by the way..WHO IS THE CGI HUMAN IN STAR WARS?? DUKU?? ***Waits to get slapped with a huge trout*** embarrasment

Old Post Jul 15th, 2003 06:18 AM
CaptainTrips is currently offline Click here to Send CaptainTrips a Private Message Find more posts by CaptainTrips Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

i dont think it was so much the CGI that was bad in the Hulk rather than the horrid script, plot and dialouge, id like to know who the CGI human was aswell someone tried to tell me yoda was fake the other day i dont know what the hell there talkin about. i mean he may be a little old but i think he did just as good as he did in the first ones or wait , would that be the last ones hmmm they came first but are last maybe ummm dont know damn this crap is confusing

Old Post Aug 5th, 2003 05:39 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
alaba
THE ONE

Anubis, you're the man....the hulk is a great movie unlike other super hero movies...it wasnt even a superhero movie..just a sick banner trying to understand what's wrong with him...the c.g.i is far awesome and none could do any better..those hulk haters have probably not read any hulk comics..
and then the direction was class and unique..like reading a comic book....

Old Post Aug 6th, 2003 07:05 PM
alaba is currently offline Click here to Send alaba a Private Message Find more posts by alaba Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tracker

Hulk rocked.

Move on, nothing to see here. smokin'

Old Post Aug 7th, 2003 07:30 PM
Tracker is currently offline Click here to Send Tracker a Private Message Find more posts by Tracker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote