KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » TV Talk Forum » Jessica Jones

Jessica Jones
Started by: Time-Immemorial

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (14): « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Digi
Forum Leader

quote: (post)
Originally posted by dadudemon
Couple of things:

1. I saw MJ at certain times, too. I just didn't post it. Some thoughts...should just not be posted.

2. She looks very similar to a girl I dated about 10 years ago. And now I'm thinking I have an ex that looks like MJ. I think this feeling I have is disgust.

Disgusted that I didn't hit that after realizing she looked like MJ!

You, I like you.

Old Post Nov 25th, 2015 05:03 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by quanchi112
Already finished this and Jessica jones is dumb as **** IMO. I get that ^someone can relate.

You need to calm down and not be angrybuttmad all the time, brah. It's just the internet.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Nov 25th, 2015 05:20 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

I just kept expecting to see her dangling a baby out of a window in the next scene or something along those lines.

Also was I the only one who found it strange they changed the origin of Kilgrave's powers? In comics it is pheromones, but in the show they say it is some kind of virus. Not a big deal, but I don't get why they needed to change it into some kind of virus.

Old Post Nov 25th, 2015 05:31 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by Surtur
I just kept expecting to see her dangling a baby out of a window in the next scene or something along those lines.

Also was I the only one who found it strange they changed the origin of Kilgrave's powers? In comics it is pheromones, but in the show they say it is some kind of virus. Not a big deal, but I don't get why they needed to change it into some kind of virus.

I don't like the pheromones or virus explanation.

It should be psionics just like Professor X. A virus that mediates behavior that quickly? Naaaah...even an engineered virus that is perfectly capable of doing what Kilgrave does (meaning, he can program the virus to carry a message/programming of the brain every time he gives a command), there is still a travel time, attaching to the correct neurons in the brain, and then getting that information to propagate to a conscious action. There would be far too much lag between a command and when they could do stuff.

Pheromones? Nope. Just not possible with pheromones. Even if we were far more sensitive to pheromones (we are very insensitive to them), still wouldn't be able to do complex commands like Kilgrave does. At best (assuming humans are extremely susceptable to pheromones), he could influence feelings but never complex thoughts.

So, we are left with magical powers of telepathy. Which does exist in that universe (and in 616).

So why the need to use viruses and pheromones? I have no idea.

Old Post Nov 25th, 2015 06:58 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Was good. My gf asked about watching it too; apparently internet buzz surrounding it is strong as hell. And she's already familiar with the MCU because of me, so she has the backdrop for it.

And **** the MJ stuff. I'd still smash until we forgot our own names.

Originally posted by dadudemon
I don't like the pheromones or virus explanation.

It should be psionics just like Professor X. A virus that mediates behavior that quickly? Naaaah...even an engineered virus that is perfectly capable of doing what Kilgrave does (meaning, he can program the virus to carry a message/programming of the brain every time he gives a command), there is still a travel time, attaching to the correct neurons in the brain, and then getting that information to propagate to a conscious action. There would be far too much lag between a command and when they could do stuff.

Pheromones? Nope. Just not possible with pheromones. Even if we were far more sensitive to pheromones (we are very insensitive to them), still wouldn't be able to do complex commands like Kilgrave does. At best (assuming humans are extremely susceptable to pheromones), he could influence feelings but never complex thoughts.

So, we are left with magical powers of telepathy. Which does exist in that universe (and in 616).

So why the need to use viruses and pheromones? I have no idea.

It's really at this precise moment that we, the denizens of internet discussion boards, should be able to summon our formidable suspensions of disbelief. Sh*t like this is a non-factor to me. If it doesn't break the story, who gives a ****.

Last edited by Digi on Nov 25th, 2015 at 07:22 PM

Old Post Nov 25th, 2015 07:19 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

I also caught what I suspect to be a veiled Doctor Who reference. There's a scene in the childhood home where he is talking about what happened when he was 10. And Jessica tells him "Well you're not 10 anymore." I smiled. Intended or not, it was funny.

Old Post Nov 25th, 2015 07:23 PM
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

Originally posted by Digi
I also caught what I suspect to be a veiled Doctor Who reference. There's a scene in the childhood home where he is talking about what happened when he was 10. And Jessica tells him "Well you're not 10 anymore." I smiled. Intended or not, it was funny.

This is blasphemy. He will always be 10!

May all your dreams come true - except for one.

Old Post Nov 25th, 2015 09:08 PM
Dreampanther is currently offline Click here to Send Dreampanther a Private Message Find more posts by Dreampanther Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

The show is great, much better than that crap Daredevil.

Old Post Nov 26th, 2015 04:49 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by Bardock42

Different type of show, imo. Unless you were just trying to stir up sh*t. In which case, thumb up

I've enjoyed both, but I think the hype surrounding them was a bit overblown. Certainly higher quality drama than other superhero shows out there. But those shows are going for entirely different idioms, so it's hard to compare.

Old Post Nov 26th, 2015 05:17 PM
Bardock42

lol, it may be partly shit stirring, but I really didn't think Daredevil was very good, too many god-awful pseudo deep monologues for one. Jessica Jones had slight moments like that, but they never really crossed into awful territory for me.

And I guess comparing Daredevil and Jessica Jones comes pretty natural due to their relation.

Old Post Nov 26th, 2015 07:19 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Neither show even approaches greatness IMO but to each his own.

Old Post Nov 27th, 2015 12:10 AM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

lol, it may be partly shit stirring, but I really didn't think Daredevil was very good, too many god-awful pseudo deep monologues for one. Jessica Jones had slight moments like that, but they never really crossed into awful territory for me.

And I guess comparing Daredevil and Jessica Jones comes pretty natural due to their relation.

Yeah, but DD was an episodic action and crime drama, while JJ was a single story, and much more psychological drama than action-oriented. Yeah, Fisk was the villain throughout DD, but it was broken into pieces in ways that JJ wasn't. It was just very different modes of storytelling, at least imo.

I think the hype and positive buzz outran both shows a bit. Something can be overrated and still be good, and that may apply here. But that's to be expected with a lot of good shows when you pay too much attention to the internet.

It's just...look at Supergirl. Thank god JJ exists, or that would be the only viable female role model in superhero-dom atm. AoS is an ensemble show, and movie characters aren't the in the zeitgeist long enough to stick in the same way.

Old Post Nov 27th, 2015 04:47 AM
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

I just finished it last night and quite enjoyed it. It's a different kind of show to Daredevil, or any of the other MCU properties so far. More a psychological thriller than anything else. I did feel that David Tennant stole the show a bit, especially during the latter episodes.

Old Post Nov 27th, 2015 04:57 AM
TheVaultDweller is currently offline Click here to Send TheVaultDweller a Private Message Find more posts by TheVaultDweller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
marwash22
HELL YEAH.

this show isn't that good.

it's very slow and the episodes feel long as hell.

lol @ it being better than DD in any way.

Old Post Nov 27th, 2015 08:24 AM
marwash22 is currently offline Click here to Send marwash22 a Private Message Find more posts by marwash22 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

No, no, not in any way. In all ways.

Old Post Nov 27th, 2015 08:33 AM
marwash22
HELL YEAH.

name one facet of production where this show is objectively better than DD.

Old Post Nov 27th, 2015 09:00 AM
marwash22 is currently offline Click here to Send marwash22 a Private Message Find more posts by marwash22 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by marwash22
name one facet of production where this show is objectively better than DD.

Well, that's an impossible task, since you can reduce everything to subjectivity and the qualities of a TV show as we are discussing are subjective anyways. But needless to say the fact alone that you don't have to deal with pseudo-deep closing statements that were obviously written by a stupid 11 year old, puts Jessica Jones far above Daredevil.

Old Post Nov 27th, 2015 09:48 AM
tkitna

Just finished the series and I can only give it an OK. First issue I had was the inconsistency in which Jessicas and Cages powers were portrayed. You have Jessica lifting the rear end of a car one moment and then getting knocked out by a 90 lb. woman that swung a 2x4 at her. Cages best feat was lifting a fat lady and moving her while Captain America can be seen chucking motorcycles at people. Speaking of the portrayal of powers, what did they do exactly? Jessica bent some steel and jumped high with the same special effects that you got back when the Six Million Dollar Man was on TV. Every fight was her throwing people too just like the old Hulk TV show. That was weak as hell. The ending of the show was terrible too. Killgrave would use more caution then that. Dumb. Bottom line is you can get the same viewing satisfaction from any of the millions of cop and detective shows on television as you can with Jessica Jones and I was wanting more than that. Daredevil was a million times better than Jessica Jones.

By Stoic

Old Post Nov 27th, 2015 03:23 PM
tkitna is currently offline Click here to Send tkitna a Private Message Find more posts by tkitna Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

This is why in the future for Marvel Netflix series I would prefer one big story for the season.

Old Post Nov 27th, 2015 05:17 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
marwash22
HELL YEAH.

Well, that's an impossible task, since you can reduce everything to subjectivity and the qualities of a TV show as we are discussing are subjective anyways. But needless to say the fact alone that you don't have to deal with pseudo-deep closing statements that were obviously written by a stupid 11 year old, puts Jessica Jones far above Daredevil.
that's a cop-out.

Im not asking for your opinion on which show you prefer.

You said this show was better than 'DD'; if you meant objectively better, then you should be able to point out elements of the production you think are superior.

there are plenty of aspects of film making that can be put into measurable levels of quality.

acting
writing
story cohesion
lighting
cinematography
sound mixing
choreography
...etc., etc., etc.

so name just one thing this show is doing better than 'DD' did.

Old Post Nov 27th, 2015 07:02 PM