KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Anime / Manga » Boku No Hero Academia / My Hero Academia

Boku No Hero Academia / My Hero Academia
Started by: Q99

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Q99

Boku No Hero Academia / My Hero Academia

Anyone else reading this superhero manga?

Because that last chapter was *awesome* smile

It's really nice how, even though it shows the students as skilled and competent even this early on, the pro hero Teachers still stand in another class.

Old Post Oct 31st, 2015 02:05 PM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

I'm reading this. Haven't read today's chapter. BRB

Old Post Oct 31st, 2015 10:46 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

It's seriously competing with One Punch Man for my favorite hero series right now. Though for different reasons.

Old Post Oct 31st, 2015 10:50 PM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Demonic Phoenix

The translation I read of the first chapter was pretty bad. What was the deal with the toes on the feet?

"To all visitors from Transylvania looking for the head of Voivode Dracula: Yes, we have it. Yes, he's dead. No, you cannot see it. No, he will not return and invade you again. It has been over thirty years, please stop pestering us."

Old Post Oct 31st, 2015 11:18 PM
Demonic Phoenix is currently offline Click here to Send Demonic Phoenix a Private Message Find more posts by Demonic Phoenix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Demonic Phoenix
The translation I read of the first chapter was pretty bad. What was the deal with the toes on the feet?

Ok, 'quirks'/powers are genetic. The quirk gene is linked to a gene that also causes the disappearance of a largely vestigial bone in the little toe of the foot. Someone who has the bone, doesn't have a genetic quirk.

Not terribly important, it just meant they could be fairly sure he was in the 20% of the population that wouldn't get a quirk.

Old Post Nov 1st, 2015 01:22 AM
Q99

One thing I find interesting is the implication that things got pretty bad after the rise of quirks, dealing with them. There's a quote at one point talking about how technology would be way more advanced if it wasn't for the quarks.

So you have some advanced tech for heroes, but it's actually relatively far in the future, all the chaos and villain fighting slowed things down as they became problem number one.

Old Post Nov 3rd, 2015 05:39 PM
dadudemon

I'm all the way caught up to the latest chapter.

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: I think All Might is overpowered. He has super speed, super strength, and super durability. His strength allows him to create, basically, a thunderclap that can destroy several city blocks (because it literally did). That's crazy! Anyway, yeah, Midoria and Brat-blast beat him...but that's because All-Might CLEARLY let them win. He could have easily killed them both in a split second of the fight starting.

Old Post Nov 3rd, 2015 06:08 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Originally posted by dadudemon
I'm all the way caught up to the latest chapter.

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: I think All Might is overpowered. He has super speed, super strength, and super durability. His strength allows him to create, basically, a thunderclap that can destroy several city blocks (because it literally did). That's crazy! Anyway, yeah, Midoria and Brat-blast beat him...but that's because All-Might CLEARLY let them win. He could have easily killed them both in a split second of the fight starting.

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: Well, obviously on two fronts there, his job is just to capture/disable the heroes, because killing is a bit much for a test and stopping them from leaving is a win, and he was handicapped.

But yes, All Might is massively powerful ^^ It's kinda scary to think about- Deku, once he fully masters One For All, should be stronger than him.

Old Post Nov 3rd, 2015 06:28 PM
dadudemon

Originally posted by Q99
[SPOILER - highlight to read]: But yes, All Might is massively powerful ^^ It's kinda scary to think about- Deku, once he fully masters One For All, should be stronger than him.

This is, indeed, a really weird point. He's already shown promise on being superior to All-Might in using One For All. All-Might, in peak form/condition, is unstoppable.

Old Post Nov 3rd, 2015 10:21 PM
Q99

A question is, how long will it take his body to grow accustomed to it? He hasn't figured out how to do the muscle-expansion thing All-Might does in order to withstand the force.

Old Post Nov 4th, 2015 03:05 PM
dadudemon

Originally posted by Q99
A question is, how long will it take his body to grow accustomed to it? He hasn't figured out how to do the muscle-expansion thing All-Might does in order to withstand the force.

This is the primary source of "literary conflict" for the main character. Without it, he would be OP and roll over all enemies.

I think the author is making the right choice in having him very painstakingly earn his way to All-Might levels of power. But! It does get frustrating seeing Deku break his shit, completely, every time he goes all out.

Old Post Nov 5th, 2015 09:13 PM
Q99

To be fair, with his 5% level mastered, he can now be a pretty solid hero without breaking something.

When he learns the muscle/resilience trick, then he'll be up there with All Might... and there's still All For One to worry about.

Old Post Nov 5th, 2015 10:57 PM
Q99

I'll also comment that while All-Might's power is the *physically* best, there's stuff like space warping and mental powers. One can be tremendously powerful and still lose, especially if one is inexperienced and makes mistakes.

Old Post Nov 6th, 2015 12:13 AM
Q99

New chapter.

That principle big grin

Old Post Nov 6th, 2015 08:25 PM
dadudemon

BRB

Reading it! big grin

Old Post Nov 6th, 2015 08:43 PM
dadudemon

Okay, what does All-Might mean on this page?

http://www.mangahere.co/manga/boku_...mia/c066/5.html

Is he saying that Deku will have a very strong friend to help him when it gets tough? Or does he mean that Blast-Boy is going to be a wall for Deku to overcome, eventually? I just don't understand what it is that is trying to be communicated.

Old Post Nov 6th, 2015 08:46 PM
Q99

Nah, he's saying that Bakugou himself will become very strong (maybe even more than Deku), because when there's a wall in his way, he laughs.

Just separately praising his two pupils.

Last edited by Q99 on Nov 7th, 2015 at 12:21 AM

Old Post Nov 7th, 2015 12:11 AM
dadudemon

Originally posted by Q99
Nah, he's saying that Bakugou himself will become very strong (maybe even more than Deku), because when there's a wall in his way, he laughs.

Just separately praising his two pupils.

Oh.

Thanks. smile

Old Post Nov 7th, 2015 11:32 PM
Q99

Yea, one thing I find interesting is All Might may be sponsoring/aiding Deku, but he still definitely wants Deku's rival to success as a hero. Bakugou's one of his students too.

Old Post Nov 8th, 2015 01:53 AM
Q99

And we finally get Sato's quirk!

Drawback similar to Kaminari's, but not quite as bad it seems...

Old Post Nov 17th, 2015 01:53 AM