KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Anime / Manga » Boku No Hero Academia / My Hero Academia

Boku No Hero Academia / My Hero Academia
Started by: Q99

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
cdtm

It's partly the same appeal as Astro City, with The Confessor and his protege. Idealized hero through the eyes of an upstart wanna be.

Never seen Hnl, but if it's anything like this I'll check it out.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Jun 27th, 2017 02:31 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AuraAngel
Hegemon

Well Ippo is a sports series so it is far more grounded than MHA by design. It's a good one though so hey.

Old Post Jun 27th, 2017 03:20 PM
AuraAngel is currently offline Click here to Send AuraAngel a Private Message Find more posts by AuraAngel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KingD19
Shai-Gen's Enigmatic Wong

quote: (post)
Originally posted by cdtm
I guess with a season down, I don't need to use spoiler tags.

So, I'm five episodes in, and like the premise. It's kind of a mash-up of the Rock Lee/Gai Sensei subplot in a Normalman style world.

All Might's power raises some questions:

1. HTH did he ever discover his quirk? What, did the original quirk bearer see someone who had a hair eating fetish? (Or perhaps a more.. "conventional" swallowing pleasure? smile )

2. I assume there was an additional power included? Otherwise, how would he even know the power was passed on the first time? (Unless they DIDN'T know, and it was only discovered on the second pass..)

This means All Might must have been seriously impressed to break with his idea of empowering a gifted student. This means NO powers will be added this generation, at all. (Unless All Might himself had no quirk..)

I also don't recall AM really telling how he got his injury, so I'm going to assume his own power did it to him. That's why self sacrifice is such an important priority, because the power is basically coming at the expense of life long crippling pain at best, and a shortened life span at worst.. The "gift" literally kills you in serving the public.

1. All Might is Quirkless; that's what drew him to Midoriya in the first place. He got his Quirk "One For All" from his sensei, who got it from hers all the way back to the progenitor. It's been passed down for 8 generations, with Deku being the latest. The original holder of the Quirk was given the power to basically stockpile power(not powers as in new quirks, simply raw physical power) in his body by his brother. The original One For All user already had a quirk that let him pass his power along with someone ingesting his DNA and him willing the transfer. They mutated and turned into One For All, a combination of both. All Might doesn't have a fetish, you weirdo. laughing out loud Well...justice I guess.

2. As I said, the original Quirk was simply "I can pass my quirk on to someone". However as that was the only ability of the Quirk, it was worthless. Once the "Stockpile" Quirk was given to him, the powers merged and became One For All, hence the name. It's kind of a monumental thing, so each current user picks their successor and trains them until they're ready to inherit it. All-Might saw a lot of himself in Deku, which is why he picked him as he saw all the best qualities he had even before he got One For All.

And it simply stockpiles power with each user, so it grows in power regardless, independently of whatever other QUirk the user has.

3. He actually got his injury from the first One For All user's brother, a guy called Sensei who has a Quirk called All For One that lets him steal and distribute Quirk's. SO he can take a firebreathing Quirk and use it until he passes it on to someone else, and then they have it. He has been gathering powers for decades and was so strong he gave All-Might his current injuries. In return though All-Might hospitalized him and tore off half his face.

One For All will kill you though if your body isn't conditioned for it.

Old Post Jun 27th, 2017 04:40 PM
KingD19 is currently offline Click here to Send KingD19 a Private Message Find more posts by KingD19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dark-Kenshin
Blocked

Just about caught up on the manga. Decided I'd comment.

And man, this series basically feels like the author read Naruto and said to himself "Man, this series has a lot of untapped potential, but never delivers. Time to fix that." Everything Naruto gets wrong, this series gets right.

- Deku, the main characters, remains consistent, likeable and relatable (whereas Naruto himself nosedived as a character after the first timeskip). What's more, he always uses his head and has yet to win a battle thanks to asspull (Sage of Six Paths mode anyone?). Even though him and Bakugou have somewhat of love/hate relationship, I don't even see him becoming obsessed with Bakugou the way Naruto was obsessed with Sasuke and see him sticking to his goals.

-Bakugou is pretty much a symbol of every way Sasuke could've been an amazing character. Even though the dude is talented, he has zero gary stu qualities and his character progression has remained logical (best shown when he turned down the League of villains offer to join them with zero hesitation. And somehow, despite being a complete *******, you don't mind rooting for him. THIS is how you do a rival character.

- Uraraka is pretty much a symbol of every way Sakura and/or Hinata could've been compelling characters. Yes, she is in love with Deku (something I didn't care for at the beginning given my distaste of the female protagonists in Naruto), but as the manga progressed, I found an actual three dimensional character in Uraraka as opposed to her Naruto counterparts. She is not obsessed with Deku and has her own thoughts/aspirations which we consistently see. What's more, she's mentally willing to put her feelings for Deku aside in order for her own growth. Last but not least, she's actually useful and actually contributes to the plot. Very well written character.

-Even though Deku is the main character, the entirety of class 1-A matters and gets consistently development (I love Fumikage by the way!). Naruto tried doing this prior to the first timeskip, but after that, outside of filler, the side character roles fell flat and artificial. This is good writing and thanks to Deku's knack for teamwork and strategy, I feel that all of the characters in class 1-A will always contribute to the plot.

-All Might is AWESOME. He's basically Might Gai done right and with actual and constant plot significance.

-The story arcs are surprisingly deep and sometimes. I initially dismissed Stain as being a lame one-note villain of the week villain. Yet somehow, despite being defeated, he has had a drastic impact on the league of villains and the influence they have on the world. And the way the hero culture is called into question is actually pretty realistic in terms of how it'd operate if heroes and villains were real.

-My only qualm with the series thus far is the villain, Shigaraki. He SUCKS. He is awful. Don't get me wrong. It took me a while, but I gathered that he is basically the anti-Deku (in a learning process of becoming a true villain) and that he is kind of intentionally crappy thus far, but he SUCKS so bad to the point of annoyance. Again, I know it's intentional, so probably just a small qualm.

All in all, am looking forward to how this manga progresses! smile

Last edited by Dark-Kenshin on Jul 3rd, 2017 at 12:23 AM

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2017 12:17 AM
Dark-Kenshin is currently offline Click here to Send Dark-Kenshin a Private Message Find more posts by Dark-Kenshin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Bakugou is practically a parody of Sasuke. laughing

He's just so over the top asshole that NO ONE takes him seriously.

Even Takamura would listen to his schtick and tell him to scale it back a bit. He's basically the Japanese Guy Gardner. thumb up

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Last edited by cdtm on Jul 3rd, 2017 at 12:35 AM

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2017 12:31 AM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AuraAngel
Hegemon

Comparing MHA to Naruto is not something I really understand. The two series are so very different that I'm not sure why people do it except I guess both being Jump's second biggest manga after OP. That and a desire to feel like their manga is better than another manga even though that is very silly.

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2017 07:49 PM
AuraAngel is currently offline Click here to Send AuraAngel a Private Message Find more posts by AuraAngel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dark-Kenshin
Blocked

Originally posted by AuraAngel
Comparing MHA to Naruto is not something I really understand. The two series are so very different that I'm not sure why people do it except I guess both being Jump's second biggest manga after OP. That and a desire to feel like their manga is better than another manga even though that is very silly.
As a former fan of Naruto, there are certain gripes I had with the Shippuden era (especially the Shinobi War Arc) that MHA seems to specifically address in its manner of storytelling. The two series are indeed fundamentally different, but at its most basic level, I do see some Naruto influences that have been carried over.

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2017 08:34 PM
Dark-Kenshin is currently offline Click here to Send Dark-Kenshin a Private Message Find more posts by Dark-Kenshin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AuraAngel
Hegemon

I suppose but some comparisons aren't all that similar. Bakugo has way more in common with Naruto that he ever could with Sasuke, who is more like Todoroki if he had a MHA counterpart.

Though I except a One Piece reference is coming in the near future if a character that I think is gonna die does indeed die.

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2017 08:52 PM
Dark-Kenshin
Blocked

I suppose but some comparisons aren't all that similar. Bakugo has way more in common with Naruto that he ever could with Sasuke, who is more like Todoroki if he had a MHA counterpart.

Though I except a One Piece reference is coming in the near future if a character that I think is gonna die does indeed die.
All Might dies, we get a timeskip and Deku can suddenly go 50% full cowl?

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2017 10:03 PM
AuraAngel
Hegemon

All Might shouldn't be dying for a bit. I'm talking about the kid that can phase through things.

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2017 10:31 PM
Dark-Kenshin
Blocked

All Might shouldn't be dying for a bit. I'm talking about the kid that can phase through things.
Oh yeah. Mirio. I'm not completely caught up yet. I'm just to the point where he beats the entire 1-A class by himself. Seems pretty broken.

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2017 11:21 PM
KingD19

They explain how he is anything but broken.

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2017 11:34 PM
KingD19 is currently offline Click here to Send KingD19 a Private Message Find more posts by KingD19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dark-Kenshin
Blocked

Originally posted by KingD19
They explain how he is anything but broken.
Just read that part. I like that a lot. Pretty creative on the author's part. I hope this applies to every quirk and there's never just an ability on its own that allows one to ROFTL stomp everyone else (aside from all for one of course). smile

Old Post Jul 4th, 2017 08:18 PM
AuraAngel
Hegemon

To be fair Todoroki's come pretty damn close. He came second in the tournament while virtually holding one hand behind his back. His showings are also just ridiculous lol.

Old Post Jul 4th, 2017 09:23 PM
KingD19

Originally posted by Dark-Kenshin
Just read that part. I like that a lot. Pretty creative on the author's part. I hope this applies to every quirk and there's never just an ability on its own that allows one to ROFTL stomp everyone else (aside from all for one of course). smile

Yeah, each Quirk has it's weaknesses to go with it's strength's, even One For All.

With that one, you have to basically train your body to beyond what's humanly possible so it doesn't turn you into bone pasta every time you use it.

Kaminari's lightning powers make him stupid if puts out too many voltages at once.

The stomach laser kid gets the shits if he shoots it too much, etc...

Some of them are more hilarious than serious, but they are all real weakness that effect them in a fight.

Like Creati lost a fight because she couldn't focus enough to create any weapons due to her opponent keeping her off balance the entire time.

Old Post Jul 4th, 2017 10:19 PM
KingD19

To be fair Todoroki's come pretty damn close. He came second in the tournament while virtually holding one hand behind his back. His showings are also just ridiculous lol.

Todoroki followed by Bakugo are the most OP students in 1A.

Even beyond his powers, they stated he's basically physically perfect and super smart both in intelligence wise and in tactics. He's like Karma from Assassination Classroom, with super powers.

Old Post Jul 4th, 2017 10:20 PM
cdtm

Been following along with the manga, just past the provisional liscence arc.

Kudo's to the writer for the unexpected outcome of that event.

Also, to date Bakagou's probably made the most improvements, while Todoroki's kind of stalled in his development. I think at this point, Bakagou could take him, easily.

It's obvious they're BOTH Sasuke. Todoroki is pre time skip version, while Bakagou is post, but with enough pride to want to make his own path without shortcuts, and with his ambition turned up to 11.

And unlike Sasauke, out of the mains, Bakagou is the only one who's not a legacy. You've got to admire a guy who's fighting for a place amongst the various legacies, of which there's quite a few.

Old Post Jul 26th, 2017 11:17 PM
AuraAngel
Hegemon

Bakagou also told a physically disabled kid to kill himself. Swell guy.

Old Post Jul 27th, 2017 12:31 AM
cdtm

Bakagou also told a physically disabled kid to kill himself. Swell guy.

And he's still more of a hero then Endeaver. thumb up

Old Post Jul 27th, 2017 01:12 AM
KingD19

Endeavor is an as*hole and a shit person, but he's actually a great hero in the terms it's used in in the Boku no Hero Academia world. He wouldn't be #2 otherwise.

Old Post Jul 27th, 2017 01:13 AM