KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » TV Talk Forum » Star Trek: Discovery

Star Trek: Discovery
Started by: Bashar Teg

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (35): « First ... « 11 12 [13] 14 15 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
marwash22
HELL YEAH.

speaking of creatures, my roommate pointed out that there was a creature called a Tribble in the episode... didn't know what it was so, i googled it and realized that's were Nubbins (Sanctuary) come from.

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2017 11:21 PM
marwash22 is currently offline Click here to Send marwash22 a Private Message Find more posts by marwash22 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

quote: (post)
Originally posted by marwash22
how does transporter tech work? I'm guessing there has to be cooperation between two ships and you can't just beam aboard another ship w/o permission.

i ask because Captain Lorca seems to want to use that large creature for something... would he be able to transport it onto a Klingon ship?

If they follow Star Trek science, they should be able to. As long as the shields are down, you can beam shit anywhere you want in general depending on distance.

As for how it works, basically you get taken apart down to the molecule, bundled in to what they call a "matter stream" which is some sort of energy beam, and reassembled on the other side.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Last edited by -Pr- on Oct 2nd, 2017 at 11:37 PM

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2017 11:31 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
marwash22
HELL YEAH.

Originally posted by -Pr-
If they follow Star Trek science, they should be able to. As long as the shields are down, you can beam shit anywhere you want in general depending on distance.
ahhh.

that seems like a crazy engineering flaw. Unless it's a power issue, why would you ever lower shields with another ship in your vicinity? An enemy ship could just beam some biological weapon aboard and wipe out an entire crew w/o firing a shot.

has that ever come up?

Originally posted by -Pr-
As for how it works, basically you get taken apart down to the molecule, bundled in to what they call a "matter stream" which is some sort of energy beam, and reassembled on the other side.
yeah, i knew that part just from other science fiction material and comics.

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2017 11:56 PM
marwash22 is currently offline Click here to Send marwash22 a Private Message Find more posts by marwash22 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

ahhh.

that seems like a crazy engineering flaw. Unless it's a power issue, why would you ever lower shields with another ship in your vicinity? An enemy ship could just beam some biological weapon aboard and wipe out an entire crew w/o firing a shot.

has that ever come up?

yeah, i knew that part just from other science fiction material and comics.

Yeah, many a story have been cursed by the "we can't beam our away team out without lowering our shields" conundrum.

There are the usual "wait for a gap in their harmonics" bollocks, but those are rare.

Ships in Star Trek, generally the Klingons, will weaken a ship until its shield fail, then beam over boarding parties. This creature in STD, I dunno what they plan to do with that.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2017 01:07 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
marwash22
HELL YEAH.

ya know what, didn't even realize this show's abbreviation was STD until you just used it. Reminds me of when i used to watch The Vampire Diaries and people would call it "VD".

that's unfortunate.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2017 01:12 AM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

They had to know. It's not like Star Trek abbreviating its show titles is a new thing.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2017 02:00 AM
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

so all caught with this travesty of a show... Seneca brown-black can't act and she fugly... she needs to take off the wig she wears. Jason Isaac must need the paycheck... doug jones needs a better make up artist.. the ship is okay which isn't saying much...

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2017 02:05 AM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

ya know what, didn't even realize this show's abbreviation was STD until you just used it. Reminds me of when i used to watch The Vampire Diaries and people would call it "VD".

that's unfortunate.

laughing I'm glad I'm not paying a dime to watch this.

Just my time, which is worthless.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2017 02:39 AM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Honestly I can see why they're asking people to subscribe to watch this. The effects really are movie level.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2017 11:22 AM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
marwash22
HELL YEAH.

yeah, the production values are there... but why not just put it on Netflix. I hear it's on Netflix Canada, but not here.

meh. i'll keep illegally dling it.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2017 11:59 AM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

that's unfortunate.

laughing out loud

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2017 12:21 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

yeah, the production values are there... but why not just put it on Netflix. I hear it's on Netflix Canada, but not here.

meh. i'll keep illegally dling it.

It's on Netflix for me as well. It's Netflix for everyone except the States.

Tbh this kind of shit does worry me though, with Disney starting their own streaming service and taking all their stuff off Netflix. I doubt that's all gonna stay tied to the US only.

So for those of us who aren't millionaires, what other option will be left except illegal downloads (which I try to avoid).

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2017 01:31 PM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
marwash22
HELL YEAH.

is the production budget for this show so expensive that they needed to put it behind a paywall?

i already have Netflix and Amazon Prime, and Apple Music... i'm not paying for ANOTHER service, especially a service that only has one thing worth watching.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2017 02:45 PM
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

is the production budget for this show so expensive that they needed to put it behind a paywall?

i already have Netflix and Amazon Prime, and Apple Music... i'm not paying for ANOTHER service, especially a service that only has one thing worth watching.

Around $8.5 million per episode, apparently.

May all your dreams come true - except for one.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2017 03:17 PM
Dreampanther is currently offline Click here to Send Dreampanther a Private Message Find more posts by Dreampanther Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Would this show be good to someone who likes sci-fi, but hasn't really seen any of the original Star Trek?

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2017 05:00 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Would this show be good to someone who likes sci-fi, but hasn't really seen any of the original Star Trek?

Yeah, should be fine. Basic structure is the same (Starfleet, Vulcans, Klingons, etc) but new characters and a new plot.

May all your dreams come true - except for one.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2017 05:43 PM
Dreampanther is currently offline Click here to Send Dreampanther a Private Message Find more posts by Dreampanther Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by cdtm
And he dies on ds9.

Tachyon poisoning. Time duplicate takes over. No one ever knew, no one to mourn. Saddest thing I've ever seen on Trek outside of Bashire unwittingly helping Wynn assassinate her political rival.

Oh and a Pah Wraith possesses his wife at one point, because the universe itself hates Miles O'Brien.

Speaking of Bashir, if some weird mishap occurred with Bashir and Keiko and Miles wifes spirit was killed, but then the spirit of Doctor Bashir somehow ends up in her body? I feel like both Miles and Bashir would be A-Okay with that arrangement.

Last edited by Surtur on Oct 3rd, 2017 at 06:17 PM

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2017 06:13 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Darth Thor
It's on Netflix for me as well. It's Netflix for everyone except the States.

Tbh this kind of shit does worry me though, with Disney starting their own streaming service and taking all their stuff off Netflix. I doubt that's all gonna stay tied to the US only.

So for those of us who aren't millionaires, what other option will be left except illegal downloads (which I try to avoid).

It's cable companies not learning from their old mistakes. The entire point of a streaming service is to bundle shit together, not take it apart.

Originally posted by Surtur
Oh and a Pah Wraith possesses his wife at one point, because the universe itself hates Miles O'Brien.

Speaking of Bashir, if some weird mishap occurred with Bashir and Keiko and Miles wifes spirit was killed, but then the spirit of Doctor Bashir somehow ends up in her body? I feel like both Miles and Bashir would be A-Okay with that arrangement.

That is really disturbing... Though Keiko could be really ****ing annoying at times.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2017 07:50 PM
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

nope

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2017 09:18 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
marwash22
HELL YEAH.

that's the boat I'm in, and I'm enjoying it so far.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2017 09:25 PM