KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » TV Talk Forum » Star Trek: Discovery

Star Trek: Discovery
Started by: Bashar Teg

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (35): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

quote: (post)
Originally posted by MF DELPH
Pretty much. Enterprise started out slowly but once the Xindi/Sphere builder arc kicked in it was great. Plus Shran.

Voyager watered down the franchise's best villains simply for lack of creativity on the part of the writers, though we did get Seven of Nine's collection of body suits as part of the deal. I also found most of the Chakotay based episodes offensive as f*ck. Space Indians, bruh? Really? That was right up there with the TNG season 1 Space Africans that had huts with automatic doors and ritualistic Mortal Kombat sessions on a death laser reinforced jungle gym.

Robert Beltran (Chakotay himself) was pretty vocal about how badly they treated him, iirc.

Yep. Not to mention the space Irish.

Originally posted by Robtard
Some of my favorite Enterprise eps dealt with the Augments (like Khan) and how they tied that in to retroactively explain why Klingons in the TOS were basically dark-skinned humans with goatees instead of the crabheads we know them to be now.

If you've not seen them, it's worth the watch even if you hated Enterprise and quit early on. All Season four:

-Borderland
-Cold Station 12
-The Augments

-Affliction
-Divergence

thumb up Solid episodes.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Nov 5th, 2015 05:17 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

Originally posted by Ushgarak

My hope is that we one day get a Star Trek series where the final episode is actually any damn good.

i'll be happy if they don't screw up the entire last season like they did with ds9.

Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage.

Old Post Nov 5th, 2015 07:38 PM
Bashar Teg is currently offline Click here to Send Bashar Teg a Private Message Find more posts by Bashar Teg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

Voyager Series 2 on its way!

Old Post Nov 5th, 2015 07:57 PM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Some of my favorite Enterprise eps dealt with the Augments (like Khan) and how they tied that in to retroactively explain why Klingons in the TOS were basically dark-skinned humans with goatees instead of the crabheads we know them to be now.

If you've not seen them, it's worth the watch even if you hated Enterprise and quit early on. All Season four:

-Borderland
-Cold Station 12
-The Augments

-Affliction
-Divergence

Is the whole of S4 worth watching?

Old Post Nov 10th, 2015 09:21 PM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

I thought so, as I feel Enterprise wasn't the heaping pile of many others feel it is.

But if you're not a fan on Enterprise, it's still worth watching those six episodes back-to-back for the Augment and Klingon lore.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Last edited by Robtard on Nov 11th, 2015 at 05:34 PM

Old Post Nov 11th, 2015 05:32 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

I thought so, as I feel Enterprise wasn't the heaping pile of many others feel it is.

But if you're not a fan on Enterprise, it's still worth watching those six episodes back-to-back for the Augment and Klingon lore.

thumb up

Will give them a watch since I'm in the mood for some new Trek episodes (but not sucky ones). Pretty sure I've seen the first 3 you mentioned many many years ago, but will watch them again before watching the last 2 you've said.

Old Post Nov 11th, 2015 05:43 PM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Speaking of series finales it was Enterprise that got the BIGGEST shaft. It went beyond just being bad and was actually disrespectful to the entire cast.

Last edited by Surtur on Nov 11th, 2015 at 11:54 PM

Old Post Nov 11th, 2015 11:44 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by Surtur
I actually enjoyed the NuTrek films. They were of a faster pace then the other films, but I didn't dislike it. I thought Kirk and Spock were spot on with casting and mannerisms. I thought most of the casting was spot on. I liked the little things they added as well like the reason McCoy is called "Bones". The lens flares were awful though.

With that said I have always felt that Trek is best as a series, not a movie or even a trilogy of movies. It's about exploration, not of just one place, but of many. You need more then 1 or 2 or 3 films to do it justice.

I also enjoyed Enterprise, I was intrigued by the time war storyline. I actually prefer TNG over any other Trek show, my least favorite for some reason is DS9.

The original series was also good and some episodes could mess with your head. Like the episode where Spock is possessed by an alien..you see Spock actually smiling all throughout the episode. This just comes off as deeply unsettling because you've never really seen him smile. Though the dickery of Shatner on set is also legendary. Also Gene Rodenberry could be a tool as well.

Funny thing is though as much as there seems to be a rivalry between Trek and Star Wars...we have more Star Trek as a direct result of SW's. The success of SW's was what made them decide to make the films and then those films eventually lead to various new series. Perhaps this is why some do not like NuTrek, JJ Abrams has flat out said he was looking at the movie as a Star Wars fan. In other words, thinking to himself "Okay when is the moment Luke see's the twin suns" etc. That's another reason the pace of the new films seems to be quicker.

I remember being excited before "Star Trek Into Darkness" came out because there were rumors the main villain would turn out to be Gary Mitchell.
NuTrek was amazing and Into Darkness was a masterpiece.

Old Post Jan 18th, 2016 09:58 PM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Oh cool, I'll be able to watch this without any extra subscriptions or illegal downloads:

http://variety.com/2016/digital/glo...ies-1201816219/

Old Post Jul 18th, 2016 05:03 PM
steverules_2

Originally posted by Darth Thor
Oh cool, I'll be able to watch this without any illegal downloads

Well now I've lost all interest I had for this

I'm Bada's pimp

I created Raptor Bada, Donald, and Sparkles

Old Post Jul 18th, 2016 05:53 PM
steverules_2 is currently offline Click here to Send steverules_2 a Private Message Find more posts by steverules_2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

new show is called Star Trek: Discovery

http://deadline.com/2016/07/star-tr...ner-1201791545/

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2016 10:50 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Old Post Aug 11th, 2016 10:08 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Let's hope this female lead has more screen presence then typically boring Janeway was.

Old Post Aug 11th, 2016 10:50 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Set in the prime timeline sounds like the old regime. Shame.

Old Post Aug 11th, 2016 11:45 PM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Let's hope this female lead has more screen presence then typically boring Janeway was.

Presence yes, time no. I really don't want to see it be about two characters more than anyone else.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Aug 12th, 2016 04:38 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by -Pr-
Presence yes, time no. I really don't want to see it be about two characters more than anyone else.

Agreed, Trek's more enjoyable when the character focus is wide and not narrow, aside from the occasional character-specific driven episode. Those are a mix bag for me, eg Worf centric eps were great, La Forge, not so much.

Old Post Aug 12th, 2016 06:18 PM
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

hate that this is set 10 years prior to Kirk.. also hope the female captain is take charge and badass instead of wimpy Janeway

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Aug 12th, 2016 06:40 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

Agreed, Trek's more enjoyable when the character focus is wide and not narrow, aside from the occasional character-specific driven episode. Those are a mix bag for me, eg Worf centric eps were great, La Forge, not so much.

But La Forge episodes always dealt with how much he got thrown around, which was ten times worse than Worf.

Old Post Aug 12th, 2016 07:09 PM
Stealth Moose is currently offline Click here to Send Stealth Moose a Private Message Find more posts by Stealth Moose Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

TNG was a decent balance, but I honestly think DS9 had the best template. I don't think there was a single character in that show that felt wasted. Hell, even Ezri, that got a total of one whole season, still got plenty of attention.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Aug 12th, 2016 09:05 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by Stealth Moose
But La Forge episodes always dealt with how much he got thrown around, which was ten times worse than Worf.

Was never much of a La Forge fan I guess. Don't dislike the character, but I'd bever name him a favorite.

Old Post Aug 12th, 2016 09:39 PM