KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » TV Talk Forum » Star Trek: Discovery

Star Trek: Discovery
Started by: Bashar Teg

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (35): « First ... « 23 24 [25] 26 27 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
cdtm

Must see video, that shows the "Prime" canon this show is in, and that Spock was from in the reboots, and the comic was in Countdown, did NOT happen in the "classic" universe, because of rights issues.

They want us a to THINK it is, but the truth is we're looking at a similar situation of Golden Age Superman and Earth 2 Superman, which were presented as the same being, but were actually different canons.

This will include the new show with Picard. It isn't a continuation of Next Gen or the same character, but an off canon Elseworlds version of him.

You may or may not care, but I thought it was interesting how close they kept this fact to the chest, pretending everything branches from the "Prime" universe, without letting out that they didn't mean "THE" Prime universe, but an alternate reality of the universe the fans grew up watching.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Last edited by cdtm on Mar 15th, 2019 at 12:13 PM

Old Post Mar 15th, 2019 12:03 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

I just hope the Picard show is of far better quality than this show.

Old Post Mar 15th, 2019 02:09 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

The canon thing is still too murky for me.

At least the show is getting better. Burnham is still the weak link, but by strengthening the other characters, and having the excellence that is Pike, it is turning itself around imo.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Mar 15th, 2019 09:06 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
playa1258
Fear is the mind killer

This show continues to get better. Pike is a constant highlight and Spock is great as always.

Old Post Mar 15th, 2019 10:49 PM
playa1258 is currently offline Click here to Send playa1258 a Private Message Find more posts by playa1258 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

I'm still not sold on this season, the bad far outweighs the good, imo Last night's ep was a snore-fest.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Mar 15th, 2019 11:27 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

quote: (post)
Originally posted by -Pr-
The canon thing is still too murky for me.

At least the show is getting better. Burnham is still the weak link, but by strengthening the other characters, and having the excellence that is Pike, it is turning itself around imo.

The way I figure it, if it's licensed, that puts it in IDW anything category.

Ghost Busters, Transformers, and TMNT aren't really canon to the source material. Doesn't make them any less enjoyable.

Hell, the definitive Pre Crisis Superman story isn't even canon to Pre Crisis.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Mar 16th, 2019 04:11 AM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

I enjoyed the callback to The Cage.

Old Post Mar 16th, 2019 01:09 PM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
samhain
The Demon Hunter

Seems like those 2 female pilots have a bit of a crush on Pike, every time he says something inspirational or leader-like they both turn to each other and exchange looks. In fact the cameras often go to them for reaction shots whenever we're on the bridge come think of it, it's just that there's a lust in their eyes whenever it's Pike (or eye in the case of the white chick).

rolling on floor laughing smokin' messed

Old Post Mar 21st, 2019 01:38 AM
samhain is currently offline Click here to Send samhain a Private Message Find more posts by samhain Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

^ Its again a call back to The Cage where every woman he knew/met wanted to sleep with him.

However Anson Mounts charisma has made that pretty believable.

Old Post Mar 21st, 2019 08:16 AM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
samhain
The Demon Hunter

It's been happening since he stepped on board the ship not just recently. Glad that hot chick with the breathing apparatus didn't die, this show could do with one or two more hotties.

rolling on floor laughing smokin' messed

Old Post Mar 21st, 2019 12:55 PM
samhain is currently offline Click here to Send samhain a Private Message Find more posts by samhain Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by samhain
It's been happening since he stepped on board the ship not just recently. Glad that hot chick with the breathing apparatus didn't die, this show could do with one or two more hotties.

It's good to be the Captain smile

Old Post Mar 21st, 2019 04:24 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by cdtm
The way I figure it, if it's licensed, that puts it in IDW anything category.

Ghost Busters, Transformers, and TMNT aren't really canon to the source material. Doesn't make them any less enjoyable.

Hell, the definitive Pre Crisis Superman story isn't even canon to Pre Crisis.

Like a lot of Trek fans, I was very much in favour of the "it's canon as long as it doesn't contradict the shows/movies" attitude that CBS used to have. Novels more-so than comics, obviously, as they held a lot closer to canon, and I was happy to take the likes of Destiny and the DS9 relaunch as being as close to canon as possible.

From what I can tell after some more actual googling, DIS is canon. CBS seems to think so, and though I can't agree with everything they do, the showrunners say so too. And, like them or not, that's their prerogative.

Star Trek Online, which is also canon (at least until the Picard show comes out), treats DIS as canon too.

I'm not against DIS being canon, if I'm being honest. There are issues with it (that go beyond writing and scripts, to the very basic philosophies of making Star Trek and how I feel it should be done), but a lot, and I mean A LOT of the issues with DIS can be put down to "this is the final section in the bridge between ENT and TOS".

I am quietly hoping that if/when we see the TOS Enterprise again, we see that during its repairs that it's been upgraded to look at least a little bit more like the actual Enterprise from before. I understand the need to modernise things to an extent, but I also think there's a middle-ground you can find that would please most people. Same with the TOS bridge, if they show that.

TBH, if I'm worried about anything, it's the damn Picard show. I'm really hoping we get thoughtful, "I'm about to blow you all away with a speech about morals and/or ethics" Picard, and not "I like dune buggies and am basically Rambo because **** you that's why" Picard. And obviously all the other "Trekish" stuff that a show in that setting should incorporate.

Originally posted by Darth Thor
^ Its again a call back to The Cage where every woman he knew/met wanted to sleep with him.

However Anson Mounts charisma has made that pretty believable.

I'd hope people don't be too hard on Cage Pike. He was played by Hunter as a more repressed character (Nimoy even talks about it in the documentary about Spock), but we do see him start to emerge as the Talosians start messing with him.

Mount's Pike, as much as I like him, is very different, though thankfully any significant shifts in personality can be attributed to what happened during the Cage, so it works, in a way.

The man is practically dripping with charisma though, I'll grant you that. And Mount is a hell of an actor.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2019 01:15 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

glad Mount is gone..

The Red Angel reveal [SPOILER - highlight to read]: to be Burnham's allegedly dead momma wasn't a surprise.

Someone tell Ethan Peck to shave lol...

Still the best stuff has been Section 31

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2019 02:51 AM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

What a weird ****ing episode... And not in a particularly good way.

If she doesn't end up [SPOILER - highlight to read]: killing her own mom, I'll be surprised.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2019 12:16 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Yeah, seemed very filler-ish, despite the key plot reveal.

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2019 07:32 PM
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

despite the beard, thoughts on Ethan Peck as Spock

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2019 09:33 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by -Pr-

Mount's Pike, as much as I like him, is very different, though thankfully any significant shifts in personality can be attributed to what happened during the Cage, so it works, in a way.

The Cage Pike seemed pretty sexist though. Im sure he says something like - the bridge is no place for a Woman.. Lol

Old Post Mar 25th, 2019 04:09 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Darth Thor
The Cage Pike seemed pretty sexist though. Im sure he says something like - the bridge is no place for a Woman.. Lol

lol, true.

I like to put that, though, along with things like McCoy's borderline racism, more in the bracket of "that's just how things were at the time". Not that it was right, but I won't hold it against Pike when he could only be represented by the writers of the time.

Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
despite the beard, thoughts on Ethan Peck as Spock

The jury's still out for me, but I do like how, instead of just playing him as an impression of Nimoy, he's instead just taking the same approach to it that Nimoy did. The subtlety and restraint he shows is a good thing, and funnily enough, I think it's something not enough people gave Blalock credit for with Enterprise.

Losing him and Pike when they **** off back to the Enterprise is gonna really, really hurt Discovery though, I think.

==

After last week, I was really hoping that they weren't going to go full-bore with this "everything is connected" bollocks. It's far too prevalent in media nowadays imo, and I blame Lost more than anything for making it popular. I was also worried that they were going to go and make Leland/Control some sort of precursor to/origin of the Borg.

Just about to watch the latest episode, and my fingers are still crossed.

Not a bad episode. Just not a great one either. Nice to see them using that budget of theirs to actually fire ship weapons for once, though. It's been too long.

==

Alex Kurtzman has promised that "all of our questions will be answered" as far as how Discovery ties in to canon. I really hope that doesn't mean either "everything gets retconned", or "nothing gets answered". This show has gone on for too long and asked too many questions without answering them. They need a strong resolution.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Mar 29th, 2019 10:11 AM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

I know I'm late to the party, but I watched the first episode of this and liked it pretty well. So I'll probably continue.

Not to mention the first episode ends with a bit of a cliffhanger, heh..

Old Post Mar 29th, 2019 01:03 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by Patient_Leech
I know I'm late to the party, but I watched the first episode of this and liked it pretty well. So I'll probably continue.

Not to mention the first episode ends with a bit of a cliffhanger, heh..

^ Episode 3 is where the show really starts.

Old Post Mar 29th, 2019 09:25 PM