KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » Crossguard Lightsaber

Crossguard Lightsaber
Started by: Kickballjedi

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Kickballjedi

Crossguard Lightsaber

So the new cloaked villain in The Force Awakens has a crossguard light saber. I thought to myself, “Who would come up with such an odd design?”

The answer was “Somebody who felt saber wielders need protection for their hands and wrists.”

And that leads to Luke Skywalker.
His own hand cut off in EP V
Vader’s Hand in EP VI

Then he probably heard the story of his father from his father’s ghost or OBW’s ghost-
Anakin’s hand cutoff by Dooku
Dooku’s hands cutoff by Anakin

Along with random hands cutoff in the cantina and fighting with the Wompa, Luke would be most inspired to create a defense for hands/wrists.

What do you think of my theory?

Old Post Nov 9th, 2015 02:25 PM
Click here to Send Kickballjedi a Private Message Find more posts by Kickballjedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Subjekt
The beginning of the end.

I'm not too sure about that. Apparently Kylo is part of a group called "The Knights of Ren," which makes Ren a title similar to Darth. Anyway, there's not been a lot of information given on that group yet, but I take them as group like the Knights Templar, so it could just be a nod to old school swords throughout history. But I think these "Rens" are going to end up being Sith worshipers, and Kylo is supposedly a collector of ancient artifacts, so I don't know why he would want to try to "improve" upon the lightsaber design that had been so effective for thousands of years.

I actually see the crossguard as more of a hindrance than a help. You start spinning it around, and you may end up cutting off your own hand. I guess we'll find out.

Thanks to Advent for the Sig!

Old Post Dec 5th, 2015 12:12 AM
Click here to Send Darth Subjekt a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Subjekt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FreshestSlice
Eternal Commander

It's not a cross-guard. It's exhaust. Kylo's saber is based on an outdated Sith design.

Old Post Dec 5th, 2015 12:51 AM
Click here to Send FreshestSlice a Private Message Find more posts by FreshestSlice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

cdtm is online now!

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Darth Subjekt

I actually see the crossguard as more of a hindrance than a help. You start spinning it around, and you may end up cutting off your own hand. I guess we'll find out.

Classic LS's are pretty much a hindrance anyways. And if they can handle a suicidally bad double lightsaber design, a hilts nothing.

Also, lightsaber chucks. Want to see one, logic be damned.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Last edited by cdtm on Dec 5th, 2015 at 03:27 AM

Old Post Dec 5th, 2015 03:18 AM
Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Subjekt

Originally posted by FreshestSlice
It's not a cross-guard. It's exhaust. Kylo's saber is based on an outdated Sith design.

Where did you hear that or get that from?

Originally posted by cdtm
Classic LS's are pretty much a hindrance anyways. And if they can handle a suicidally bad double lightsaber design, a hilts nothing.

Also, lightsaber chucks. Want to see one, logic be damned.

When I say classic, I meant classic the way it's meant to be used, as in, during the pinnacle or height of something. I know people use it to describe old things, I mean LS's as they were once perfected, I.e. The way we know them.

Your video won't play for some reason, so I can't see it, but I saw a video about the history of the LS and when they had portable power sources with the cable and all that... I def Italy don't mean like those. And yes, that would most definitely be a hindrance lol.

As far as the double bladed LS, not many people used those BECAUSE they were so dangerous. Obviously we saw Maul with one with the extra long hilt, but there was also the old guy who used one... I always get Kyle Katarn and Exar Kun's names and time periods confused for some reason, but I think it was Kun who wielded one with the hilt only as long as a regular LS. But I will say, Lightchucks... This needs to happen! Lol

Old Post Dec 5th, 2015 05:57 AM
Click here to Send Darth Subjekt a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Subjekt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FreshestSlice
Eternal Commander

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Dec 5th, 2015 06:14 AM
Click here to Send FreshestSlice a Private Message Find more posts by FreshestSlice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Interesting Fresh..

Old Post Dec 5th, 2015 06:32 AM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Subjekt

Oh wow, nice. I've never seen that pic before. Thanks!

Old Post Dec 5th, 2015 07:18 AM
queeq
Chaos

Really? It was on Comic Con, right?

Old Post Dec 5th, 2015 06:35 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewLanceWindu
Keeper of the Prophecy

Originally posted by queeq

This is a newer picture, taken inside the pavilion at either Disneyland or Disney World for the new Season of the Force.

Old Post Dec 5th, 2015 11:00 PM
Click here to Send NewLanceWindu a Private Message Find more posts by NewLanceWindu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Subjekt

Yea. Reading everything about TDKR really ruined it for me, and if there's one movie I don't want spoiled, it's this one. I've only seen 3 of the trailer/TV spots for this. Coming back to the boards is probably counterproductive to that, but hell, I missed all you boogers. smile

Old Post Dec 6th, 2015 03:51 AM
queeq
Chaos

Well, let us fill you in then... :evil:

Old Post Dec 6th, 2015 01:58 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chilled monkey

Re: Crossguard Lightsaber

"What do you think of my theory?"

It doesn't hold water.

Usually when a hand/arm is cut off in lightsaber combat it occurs due to an upwards strike that comes in under the wrist.

Luke's hand in Ep V - upwards strike.

Anakin's arm in Ep II - upwards strike (plus his arm was cut off at the elbow).

So no, a cross-guard wouldn't have made any difference at all.

Old Post Dec 7th, 2015 04:25 AM
Click here to Send chilled monkey a Private Message Find more posts by chilled monkey Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

I don't understand why people are so going crazy over this cross guard. People have been using cross guards for centuries...

Old Post Dec 7th, 2015 10:24 AM
chilled monkey

I don't understand why people are so going crazy over this cross guard. People have been using cross guards for centuries...

1) It's ugly as fudge (unlike a regular sword).

2) It's a crass gimmick created just to sell more toys (look kids, more light up bits. Isn't it cool?)

3) As I've explained it doesn't make any difference. Even if Luke and Anakin had had it they'd have still lost their hands/arms.

Old Post Dec 7th, 2015 11:52 AM
Click here to Send chilled monkey a Private Message Find more posts by chilled monkey Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Well so what? So it's a gimmick, why not. We've had the double light sabre, the quadruple lightsabre, a purple lightsaber... now we get a new gimmick. As long as it doesn't get in the way of story or instead of character, I'm okay with all that.

Old Post Dec 7th, 2015 02:12 PM
NewLanceWindu
Keeper of the Prophecy

Originally posted by chilled monkey
1) It's ugly as fudge (unlike a regular sword).

2) It's a crass gimmick created just to sell more toys (look kids, more light up bits. Isn't it cool?)

3) As I've explained it doesn't make any difference. Even if Luke and Anakin had had it they'd have still lost their hands/arms.

1. I happen to think it looks awesome.

2. The entire movie franchise is revolved around toys.

3. All because those fights were written to have them lose those limbs like that.

You seem so negative about Star Wars.

Old Post Dec 7th, 2015 04:47 PM
Click here to Send NewLanceWindu a Private Message Find more posts by NewLanceWindu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chilled monkey

Originally posted by NewLanceWindu
1. I happen to think it looks awesome.

You're entitled to your opinion.

2. The entire movie franchise is revolved around toys.

True.

3. All because those fights were written to have them lose those limbs like that.

Yes, but it's the WAY in which they lost those limbs. In each case the limb was severed by a strike that would have connected even if their weapons had possessed cross-guards. Claiming or implying that those limbs wouldn't have been lost if a cross-guard had been present is simply untrue.

You seem so negative about Star Wars.

Not at all. I'm actually a pretty big Star Wars fan. Some of my favourite books are Star Wars novels.

I'm just more than a little annoyed about the whole "Canon/Legends" thing since it means no new material featuring my favourite characters. For example, what happened to Starkiller?

Furthermore there was absolutely no need for any new movies. If people wanted to know "what happened next?" that question was already answered in the novels.

These new movies aren't being made for storytelling reasons. They are being made purely so that a bunch of fat, greedy corporate executives can get merchandising deals and sell tons of t-shirts, lunchboxes, bobbleheads and other over-priced junk.

I am losing out because of that and it bothers me.

Old Post Dec 7th, 2015 05:50 PM
FreshestSlice
Eternal Commander

Originally posted by chilled monkey
Not at all. I'm actually a pretty big Star Wars fan. Some of my favourite books are Star Wars novels.

I'm just more than a little annoyed about the whole "Canon/Legends" thing since it means no new material featuring my favourite characters. For example, what happened to Starkiller?

Hint: He doesn't exist. You can makeup whatever ending you want. This is fiction, not history.
quote:

Furthermore there was absolutely no need for any new movies. If people wanted to know "what happened next?" that question was already answered in the novels.

Yeah, that's great and all, but since most of those novels are, for lack of a better word, god awful, we prefer seeing movies. Some of us also like talking about this with friends and family outside of the internet and don't expect them to read every obscure novel about the Solo twins.
quote:

These new movies aren't being made for storytelling reasons. They are being made purely so that a bunch of fat, greedy corporate executives can get merchandising deals and sell tons of t-shirts, lunchboxes, bobbleheads and other over-priced junk.

Which is exactly why every movie ever, and every book you like so much, was written: to make money. Those books would never have been licensed if they weren't going to make money. What does that have to do with the story being told now?
quote:

I am losing out because of that and it bothers me.

You're losing out because you're overreacting and acting childish. Literally nothing else is stopping you from enjoying or at least attempting to enjoy the Sequel Trilogy.

Old Post Dec 7th, 2015 06:02 PM
Darth Subjekt

When Ob1 was cutting off GG's hands, wasn't he sliding down the blade? I believe he was if memory serves... Had there been a crossguard (which he really didn't need with 3 other separate lightsabers), or as it's been pointed out, exhaust ports, then those strikes wouldn't have landed.

As far as the "fat, greedy" so and so's... We've already been down that path with Lucas. Re-releasing MULTIPLE versions of the movies, each time with worse changes, all for the sake of making more money. Which is the same thing he was planning on doing with the post effects 3D versions that thankfully got stopped.

Also, and I'm not trying to be a dick here - seriously, you don't have to watch the new movies. You can maintain everything on your mind as canon. The only time canon matters to fans, is when debating. Since no one here seems to bother with the Legends stuff anymore, you are left unopposed on the debate table for those time periods. Further, the ONLY reason ANY movies are made, are for business reasons and to make money. It's the finished product that you should concern yourself with, that way you can enjoy it. I know that I will never be a millionaire or a pro athlete, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying sports, or movies made by billionaire owned movie studios. Hell, I'll still break out my old toys and play with my kids with them, so the marketing doesn't bother me either.

If that stuff has really left a bad taste in your mouth, then I sincerely feel for you, cause you're potentially missing out on something that could take you back to childhood and kick you right in the feels. I'm not sh!tting on your opinion or telling you how to feel, just trying to help you see from a different perspective so maybe you can wholly enjoy it like you once did.

Old Post Dec 7th, 2015 10:10 PM