KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » Darth Vader runs a guantlet

Darth Vader runs a guantlet
Started by: AncientPower

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

TBH I wouldn't call Caedus' display over Jaina "ragdolling" either.

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post Nov 15th, 2015 08:00 PM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

quote: (post)
Originally posted by cs_zoltan
(please log in to view the image)
laughing out loud

Old Post Nov 15th, 2015 08:02 PM
Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

Originally posted by DarthAnt66
TBH I wouldn't call Caedus' display over Jaina "ragdolling" either.
Meh, Force gripping then.

Old Post Nov 15th, 2015 08:02 PM
Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deronn Solo
King Yami

Was looking to come in here and knock down Caedus arguments, but I see none worth responding too.
Also, Beni---Vader held back his telekinetic powers against Luke in RotJ; Luke confirms this himself after Geth wrecks him on CoPL by saying Darth would have done similar if he wanted:

Time seemed to slow. His head throbbed, pounding to the same rhythm as the beating of his heart. His face had gone cold, numb, and Luke realized distantly that Gethzerion’s spell had ripped open blood vessels in his brain, and he was about to die, one among hundreds of fatalities on this battlefield. o this is how it would have been, if Vader had tried to kill me. Who had Luke been kidding?
----Excerpt from The Courtship of Princess Leia
So can we put this silly notion that RotJ Luke is anywhere near Vader to rest already?

Old Post Nov 15th, 2015 08:16 PM
Click here to Send Deronn Solo a Private Message Find more posts by Deronn Solo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deronn Solo
King Yami

Shit, excuse the typos. Site isn't letting me edit shit atm.

Old Post Nov 15th, 2015 08:18 PM
Click here to Send Deronn Solo a Private Message Find more posts by Deronn Solo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

@DC, Luke isn't really in any position to make objective claims on what Vader could or would have done, especially in the contexts of a desperate situation where he is speaking out of self-depreciation for his ability to challenge powerful Force users i.e. he's underrating himself, a moment of self-doubt.

There are plenty of more objective and impartial sources that claim otherwise. First off there is what Vader actually believed:
quote:
A warrior needed to contend with equals. Obi-Wan was gone, and the other Jedi were all extinct, save one, who was the strongest of them all. His own son. He had told the Emperor that Luke Skywalker would join them or die. The real truth was only slightly different: Luke would join Darth Vader or die. It would be something to look forward to. That would be the duel of a lifetime. This wasn't even exercise.

--Shadows of the Empire
quote:
For the first time, the thought entered Vader's consciousness that his son might best him. He was astounded by the strength Luke had acquired since their last duel, in the Cloud City - not to mention the boy's timing, which was honed to a thought's breadth. This was an unexpected circumstance. Unexpected and unwelcome. Vader felt humiliation crawling in on the tail of his first reaction, which was surprise, and his second, which was fear. And then the edge of the humiliation curled up, to reveal bald anger. And now he wanted revenge.

--Return of the Jedi novelisation
Guess he was mistaken, right?

Then there are various objective out-of-universe sources:
quote:
"On the Death Star... Father and Son grimly clash! Brutally, aggressively, Darth Vader brings his full strength and power against the younger man.

This is a battle of equals.

And if there is any true advantage, it seems to have shifted to him.

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads...29480-39708.jpg
quote:
The fight this time was far more balanced. Vader discovered that Luke was his match, and, once again, the Sith Lord found his thoughts straying to an alliance between them against the Emperor.

Luke had indeed grown powerful since Bespin, and he was an equal match for his father.

--The Official Star Wars Fact File #111
quote:
On the Death Star, Luke and Darth Vader were engaged in a duel that was even more vicious than their battle on Cloud City. Luke had grown stronger since their last encounter, and his skill with his lightsaber had improved greatly. As they swung at each other in the Emperor's throne room, Luke sensed the advantage had shifted to him.

--Return of the Jedi Junior Novelization
quote:
Luke and Vader are engaged in a man-to-man duel of lightsabers even more vicious then the battle on Bespin. But the young Jedi has grown stronger in the interim, and now the advantage shifts to him. Vader is forced back, losing his balance, and is knocked down the stairs. Luke stands at the top of the stairs, ready to attack.

--Return of the Jedi script
And for the record? Vader was not holding back, he was pissed and prepared to kill:
quote:
'You are unwise to lower your defenses,' Vader warned. His anger was layered, now - he did not want to win if the boy was not battling to the fullest. But if winning meant he had to kill a boy who wouldn't fight... then he could do that, too. Only he wanted Luke to be aware of those consequences. He wanted Luke to know this was no longer just a game. This was Darkness.

Luke heard something else, though. 'Your thoughts betray you, Father. I feel the good in you ... the conflict. You could not bring yourself to kill me before - and you won't destroy me now.'

This accusation really made Vader angry. He could tolerate much from the insolent child, but this was insufferable. He must teach this boy a lesson he would never forget, or die learning.

--Return of the Jedi novelisation
I fail to see why Vader would hold back on TK if he intended to put the fear of God into him.

So sure, let's put this silly notion to rest shall we?

EDIT: Another quote to add the the pile:
quote:
Although Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker are equally strong in the Force, their duels are more than just about physical strength.

--Beware the Sith
And credit to ShootingNova for most of these quotes. thumb up

Last edited by Beniboybling on Nov 15th, 2015 at 09:08 PM

Old Post Nov 15th, 2015 08:53 PM
Deronn Solo
King Yami

Having a real shitty day now, so to avoid replying in a venemous way, I'll get to that AIDS-tier post tomorrow. Sit tight.

thumb up

Old Post Nov 15th, 2015 09:06 PM
Beniboybling
Worst Member

I look forward to it. smile

Old Post Nov 15th, 2015 09:13 PM
Deronn Solo
King Yami

Good. smile

Old Post Nov 15th, 2015 11:21 PM
AncientPower
The Chosen One

In all honesty I think he might make it to Yoda.

Within your furnace heart, you burn in your own flame. This is how it feels to be Anakin Skywalker.

Old Post Nov 15th, 2015 11:24 PM
Click here to Send AncientPower a Private Message Find more posts by AncientPower Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ILS
Restricted

Account Restricted

Beni, the final quote regarding their "strength in the Force" is related to physical strength, as indicated by "their duels are more than just about physical strength".

“The galaxy must experience the pain of death and the rapture of rebirth as I have. I will bring chaos. It is time for war.

Old Post Nov 15th, 2015 11:37 PM
Click here to Send ILS a Private Message Find more posts by ILS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Trocity
Undefeated and Undisputed

Luke, who was weaker than Vader in the force at the time, was his equal in physical strength?

Dat farmboy strength.

Old Post Nov 15th, 2015 11:39 PM
Click here to Send Trocity a Private Message Find more posts by Trocity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ILS
Restricted

Account Restricted

Better raw power-potential, less TK mastery.

“The galaxy must experience the pain of death and the rapture of rebirth as I have. I will bring chaos. It is time for war.

Old Post Nov 15th, 2015 11:48 PM
Click here to Send ILS a Private Message Find more posts by ILS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

Originally posted by ILS
Beni, the final quote regarding their "strength in the Force" is related to physical strength, as indicated by "their duels are more than just about physical strength".
That makes sense.

Force augmentation is an important indicator of Force mastery as well though.

Old Post Nov 15th, 2015 11:54 PM
ILS
Restricted

Account Restricted

It is indeed, in that sense I would say they are equal (or Luke is better, since he kind of beat Vader's ass). Luke is actually better even without his Force Rage since he isn't rocking augmented armor and a Sith Amulet like Vader. He just doesn't have the experience at that point.

Old Post Nov 15th, 2015 11:59 PM
Deronn Solo
King Yami

ILS is just as retarded as I've always known, if he's suggesting Vader and Luke are equals in the Force as of RotJ.

Last edited by Deronn Solo on Nov 16th, 2015 at 01:55 AM

Old Post Nov 16th, 2015 01:52 AM
Kosmos Supreme

Loses all.

Old Post Nov 16th, 2015 02:19 AM
Click here to Send Kosmos Supreme a Private Message Find more posts by Kosmos Supreme Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ILS
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Deronn_solo
ILS is just as retarded as I've always known, if he's suggesting Vader and Luke are equals in the Force as of RotJ.
You'd do well to interpret me properly if you're going to call me retarded, LAL.

Luke's raw power and potential > Vader's. How it manifests is through Luke's Force augmentation, which put Vader on his ass in spite of Vader also having augmented armor and a Sith amulet.

Vader's actualized power in abilities like TK, telepathy etc >>>>> Luke's.

Old Post Nov 16th, 2015 03:07 AM
Tondemonai

Originally posted by S_W_LeGenD
Stops at 1.

This gauntlet is too much for Darth Vader.

thumb up

Old Post Nov 16th, 2015 04:27 AM
Click here to Send Tondemonai a Private Message Find more posts by Tondemonai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AncientPower
The Chosen One

How is Darth Malgus defeating a more skilled and powerful opponent?

Within your furnace heart, you burn in your own flame. This is how it feels to be Anakin Skywalker.

Old Post Nov 16th, 2015 04:41 AM
Click here to Send AncientPower a Private Message Find more posts by AncientPower Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote