KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » TV Talk Forum » Into the Badlands

Into the Badlands
Started by: Dreampanther

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (10): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

quote: (post)
Originally posted by quanchi112
I like this show. I hope it gets picked up for another season.

It's been a lot better than I expected. I was afraid it was just going to turn into nothing but a martial arts expo every episode, but the plot and characters have me quite interested by this point.

Old Post Dec 2nd, 2015 04:22 PM
TheVaultDweller is currently offline Click here to Send TheVaultDweller a Private Message Find more posts by TheVaultDweller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KingD19
Shai-Gen's Enigmatic Wong

If MK learns to control his powers he'll be an absolute nightmare. It's gonna be like Sunny on mega steroids.

Old Post Dec 2nd, 2015 04:39 PM
KingD19 is currently offline Click here to Send KingD19 a Private Message Find more posts by KingD19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Originally posted by KingD19
If MK learns to control his powers he'll be an absolute nightmare. It's gonna be like Sunny on mega steroids.

Yeah, but as it stands, any properly experienced and trained clipper, with a blade, could probably take his head off before he saw a drop of his own blood. So while he has the potential, he has a LOOOOOOOOOOOONG way to go. Hell, he got his ass thoroughly stomped by a clipper in a wheelchair (granted it was the former regent).

What I want to know is how exactly the Widow found out about him and his abilities.

Old Post Dec 2nd, 2015 05:11 PM
TheVaultDweller is currently offline Click here to Send TheVaultDweller a Private Message Find more posts by TheVaultDweller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
It's been a lot better than I expected. I was afraid it was just going to turn into nothing but a martial arts expo every episode, but the plot and characters have me quite interested by this point.

Yeah, feel mostly the same way, went into thinking it'd be wire-fu nonsense and little more, but the story and characters aren't terrible so far, though silly, cheesy and trope-y , but still interesting.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Dec 2nd, 2015 09:21 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by Robtard
Yeah, feel mostly the same way, went into thinking it'd be wire-fu nonsense and little more, but the story and characters aren't terrible so far, though silly, cheesy and trope-y , but still interesting.
Quit following my lead.

Old Post Dec 2nd, 2015 09:31 PM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wei Phoenix
One-Eyed Dragon Of Oshu

Well, the show feels to me like a post-apocalyptic take on Feudal era kingdoms, with the seven Barons controlling the various factions and different lands etc. Then you have Quinn's seemingly great dynasty on its last legs (like the Han dynasty), and you have the various groups of enemies and allies, squabbling to try and seize control and take advantage of the situation. Like I said, it is only very basic elements really, but it just kind of struck me as familiar when watching the first few episodes.

Of course, like I said, it is really early days for the plot, and there are plenty of elements in Into the Badlands that are most definitely NOT in ROTK.

Thanks, I may give this a look soon. I appreciate your response.

You Wa Shock!

Old Post Dec 2nd, 2015 10:06 PM
Wei Phoenix is currently offline Click here to Send Wei Phoenix a Private Message Find more posts by Wei Phoenix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Well, the show feels to me like a post-apocalyptic take on Feudal era kingdoms, with the seven Barons controlling the various factions and different lands etc. Then you have Quinn's seemingly great dynasty on its last legs (like the Han dynasty), and you have the various groups of enemies and allies, squabbling to try and seize control and take advantage of the situation. Like I said, it is only very basic elements really, but it just kind of struck me as familiar when watching the first few episodes.

Of course, like I said, it is really early days for the plot, and there are plenty of elements in Into the Badlands that are most definitely NOT in ROTK.

agreed

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Dec 2nd, 2015 11:31 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Originally posted by Robtard

Well, if you think about it, virtually every characterization and subplot has been done half a dozen times across different shows by now, so everything new will have the problem of maybe being a bit cliche or trope-y. What I like about the show is that, so far at least, they have managed to find a balance that still makes it enjoyable to watch and worth tuning in for. I actually like the kind of cheesiness and over-the-top fighting. Some of the fight scenes, like the one where Sunny fights like 30 nomad mercenaries at once, felt like a homage to some of the Eastern martial arts movies.

Old Post Dec 5th, 2015 09:04 AM
Mindset

Did it get better from the first ep?

Sometimes all you have left is your Rage

Old Post Dec 5th, 2015 09:22 AM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Well, the plot is certainly developing. Sunny is in a really shit position right now, considering the River King's request. And now the Widow is playing her games to turn allies against each other.

And as expected, Baron Jacobee is another dangerous and deadly opponent. He was merrily slaughtering his way through Quinn's clippers, so he also seems to be quite a step above the average fighter in the show. Which just makes Quinn more badass, considering he still seemed to have an edge on Jacobee as well, just like he did the Widow. And he is old and dying. He must have been an absolute monster when he was younger and healthier.

Old Post Dec 10th, 2015 07:10 AM
KingD19

Right now I'd say it's Sunny, Quinn, Widow, Everyone else.

And I'm giving Sunny odds over Quinn because he's the main character and much younger and healthy.

Old Post Dec 10th, 2015 07:23 AM
KingD19 is currently offline Click here to Send KingD19 a Private Message Find more posts by KingD19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Jacobee should be somewhere around there as well, maybe just below Widow, based on the little we have seen already. He actually managed to engage Quinn for a bit before Quinn got the advantage. We see them clash again a bit later and be relatively close. Which is no easy feat for Jacobee, considering no one else shown so far, with the exception of the Widow, has managed to last longer than about a 2 or 3 hit exchange with Quinn before getting killed. He also seemed very confident that him + Zypher would be enough to end Quinn. As mentioned previously in this thread, it's good that the three Barons shown so far have shown themselves to be extremely lethal opponents, beyond whatever other wealth, power and influence they have.

Old Post Dec 10th, 2015 01:38 PM
cdtm

If the River King isn't honoring a debt because of who's asking, I sure hope he's not going to consider it covered. The guy rightly should still owe that favor..

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Dec 10th, 2015 01:57 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KingD19

All the barons save maybe one or two outliers I'm guessing are all Regent/Regent+ level. Which yeah is pretty awesome.

Old Post Dec 10th, 2015 02:43 PM
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

So Ryder's grandfather seems to know about Azra and whatever MK is. And now it appears Quinn knows about MK too. Quinn is such a manipulative prick though. Tells Veil that Sunny killed her parents, and then tells Sunny to keep his distance from her, with the obvious intent to create mistrust and problems between them.

And now we basically have an answer to Sunny vs Quinn. Quinn had an edge on Widow but they were pretty close. In contrast, she was visibly taken aback when she saw Sunny, and he pretty much dominated that fight. Widow was on the back foot and giving ground the entire time, basically doing her best not to get killed. And then she still got lucky in the end to manage to get out alive.

Old Post Dec 14th, 2015 04:18 PM
Martian_mind
telepathy+debates+=Pwned

It looks as though we might see a proper Quinn vs Sunny next episode. I hope so at least.

Does anyone else find Sunny's fights to be the least interesting? I can't put my finger on what it is exactly, but every battle scene not featuring him just seems way more engaging.

Old Post Dec 17th, 2015 10:49 AM
Martian_mind is currently offline Click here to Send Martian_mind a Private Message Find more posts by Martian_mind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KingD19

Probably because he stomps the shit out of everyone. They're making it pretty clear that so far, Sunny is the top dog. Made even more so because Quinn is older and sick. So you're pretty sure Sunny will win every fight he's in aside from fighting DOMK. It's not as exciting when you know this guy will beat everyone's ass every week.I still love it though.

Last edited by KingD19 on Dec 17th, 2015 at 03:31 PM

Old Post Dec 17th, 2015 03:29 PM
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

That's basically it. He is portrayed through both dialogue and feats as the most skilled and deadly clipper in the badlands, so you know barring PIS or ridiculous odds, he is going to clean house.

Old Post Dec 17th, 2015 05:43 PM
KingD19

Also he seems to either forget he has injuries, or has a healing factor. Or just Veil knows some insanely good healing techniques. He's been cut pretty good a few times and every time he takes his shirt off the only scars he has are his kill tallies.

And as of now, Sunny has by far the largest on-screen kill count(at like 40+) on top of his 412 kills at the start of the series. MK has the second highest stated off-screen count at 28 when he slaughtered River King's Cog's.

Last edited by KingD19 on Dec 17th, 2015 at 05:50 PM

Old Post Dec 17th, 2015 05:46 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Doubt it's a healing factor, though you never know considering some of the super-natural elements of the show.

It's probably just overlooked for the shake of the show's pace; can't have the protagonist laid up in bed after every injury.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Dec 17th, 2015 06:00 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote