KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Riddick 4 (????)

Riddick 4 (????)
Started by: Patient_Leech

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (7): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
quanchi112
Disney

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Dreampanther
I wasn't that impressed with Riddick the first time saw it. I think I was disappointed because I expected it to be like Chronicles, except bigger with even more special effects and elaborate fights.

Then, a couple of months ago I watched it again and I realised I owe it an apology. Riddick is actually a great little film, with lots of sly humour and references for the fans to enjoy. Vin Diesel does a great job showing the emergence of Riddick as he was and should be, a primal, solitary hunter rather than the big action hero and ruler of the universe he ended up as, a role Riddick never wanted and didn't suit him.

By the end we have a more mature Riddick, but also a Riddick that is closer to his original character than he was in Chronicles. Somehow, this has now ended up being my favourite Riddick film.
I just purchased Riddick for like 12.99 for my ps4 and I must say I agree. The first viewing I thought it to be utter crap but enjoyed it a lot more the second viewing. I know the budget was a lot smaller and even the special effects didn't seem as bad as they did my first watching. All in all a good film but I still don't have any character I gravitate towards but that's another matter. I just hope they can secure a much higher budget for the fourth film.

Old Post Nov 26th, 2015 01:49 AM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Riddick (2013) has some great subtle character development that is easy to miss the first time or two.

This is precisely what I missed the first time. I was so busy waiting for Chronicles' special effects and big epic sci-fi sequences that I missed how much was happening with the characters. In Chronicles the characters are actually pretty two-dimensional but nobody minds (me included) because the movie makes up for it with the action and the expensive sets.

But if you forget that and watch Riddick for what it is, a vehicle that allows Twohy and Diesel to explore and develop Riddick's character, you start to appreciate how much thought goes into the characters and how well they are portrayed. I think it's just too subtle for a lot of people and they are stuck on what they think it should be, rather than what it is.

I'm just glad I watched it again and didn't end up stuck between all the haters stick out tongue

May all your dreams come true - except for one.

Old Post Nov 26th, 2015 01:52 AM
Dreampanther is currently offline Click here to Send Dreampanther a Private Message Find more posts by Dreampanther Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Esau Cairn
Contagious

I actually think the Elementals were a little gay. That's getting a little too fantasy as opposed to sci-fi for my taste.

Not as gay as walking trees from LotR, but still really gay. roll eyes (sarcastic)

I saw The Elementals a nice balance against the Furyan race/mythology.
If one race could believe in Hell (UnderVerse) than The Elementals were their peaceful equivalent.

The Star Wars universe has a subtle fantasy aspect to it regarding The Jedi & Sith. Then trying to explain the Force with bloody medichlorians really took the "magic", fantasy aspect away.

Old Post Nov 26th, 2015 04:56 AM
Esau Cairn is currently offline Click here to Send Esau Cairn a Private Message Find more posts by Esau Cairn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Originally posted by Esau Cairn
I saw The Elementals a nice balance against the Furyan race/mythology.
If one race could believe in Hell (UnderVerse) than The Elementals were their peaceful equivalent.

I think the UnderVerse, ironically enough, is more of the the Necromonger heaven, their promised land. What connection Furyans have to it if any I'm not sure.

But yeah, the Elementals are about keeping checks and balances so to speak.

Originally posted by Esau Cairn
The Star Wars universe has a subtle fantasy aspect to it regarding The Jedi & Sith. Then trying to explain the Force with bloody medichlorians really took the "magic", fantasy aspect away.

I don't mind the medichlorian explanation, personally. Natural phenomena (use of the Force in this case) have biological explanations, no matter how religious they may seem. So I think it's better than making it just "magic."

Old Post Dec 5th, 2015 01:54 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
HulkIsHulk

Thanks for the sig Scot-and for the help with my avatar
When someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles to frown but only 4 to reach out and bchslap them upside down on their head

Old Post Dec 6th, 2015 09:05 AM
HulkIsHulk is currently offline Click here to Send HulkIsHulk a Private Message Find more posts by HulkIsHulk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
HulkIsHulk

I am kinda both excited and scared, excited since a new movie is coming, and scared because if the movie and series flop, Universal might wrap up the franchise. And then the problems with continuity that crop up with spinoffs. I am of the opinion if you can't get a good story to make a sequel, try to make a good prequel, since Vin Diesel not the other actors aren't getting any younger
Originally posted by carver9
thumb up
Glad Pakistan is back.

Lulz

When someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles to frown but only 4 to reach out and bchslap them upside down on their head

Last edited by HulkIsHulk on Dec 6th, 2015 at 09:16 AM

Old Post Dec 6th, 2015 09:09 AM
HulkIsHulk is currently offline Click here to Send HulkIsHulk a Private Message Find more posts by HulkIsHulk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Esau Cairn
Contagious

I don't mind the medichlorian explanation, personally. Natural phenomena (use of the Force in this case) have biological explanations, no matter how religious they may seem. So I think it's better than making it just "magic."

When R2 accidentally runs over medichlorians that contaminates his oil & gains the power of the Force (short story) then it cheapens the reputation of both Jedi & Sith.

Old Post Dec 6th, 2015 10:17 AM
Esau Cairn is currently offline Click here to Send Esau Cairn a Private Message Find more posts by Esau Cairn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Originally posted by HulkIsHulk
I am kinda both excited and scared, excited since a new movie is coming, and scared because if the movie and series flop, Universal might wrap up the franchise...

I share your concern. But I don't think it's really up to Universal anymore. It's an independent venture now. Vin got the rights from Universal. Universal just picked up Riddick to help distribute it (something like that), because Vin has a good report with them. But I think worst comes to worst they can get someone else to distribute any sequels.

Originally posted by HulkIsHulk
And then the problems with continuity that crop up with spinoffs. I am of the opinion if you can't get a good story to make a sequel, try to make a good prequel, since Vin Diesel not the other actors aren't getting any younger

I actually think keeping some of Riddick's upbringing a bit more mysterious is a good idea. May need to reveal some things, but I think mystery is probably better. That being said, there is actually a really, really good fan-fiction prequel story that was actually published. It's called Ghosts of Furya, by Angela B. Macala-Guajardo. I think it was either free or very cheap on Kindle. That's where I read it. Not necessarily canon, but definitely an excellent read for every Riddick fan.

But no, I don't think they should do any prequels. I feel like they are going somewhere with this, so it needs to move forward, not backward. There's too much at stake to move backwards and not forwards... Necromongers trying to cleanse the universe, Riddick's need to reconcile his past. Granted, I think we probably need to know a little bit more about the past and what happened on Furya (that fan-fiction book goes into it some), but strict prequels would be a waste of resources right now.

Old Post Dec 7th, 2015 02:40 AM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Wouldn't mind seeing a comic book based on this universe, Surprised it hasn't been done yet.

Old Post Dec 7th, 2015 05:58 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
HulkIsHulk

How about another prequel game, but of a different type than the previous ones? That would be awesome

Old Post Dec 7th, 2015 08:36 AM
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

The next Riddick flick will be a Furyan origin story, says Vin Diesel

http://www.joblo.com/horror-movies/...-vin-diesel-358

Old Post Dec 18th, 2015 11:13 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

*Bump*

Vin, make the next Riddick film... yes?

Old Post Jun 16th, 2017 02:38 AM
riv6672

Originally posted by quanchi112
Wonder how the series will go. I knew when I saw this the other say you were going to be in heaven. I want a bigger budget Riddick four to conclude the underverse. I thought the last one Riddick was junk tbh.

The last one was great.
I loved how they went back to basics, and were willing to just let it be him Robinson Crusoe-ing it half the movie.
While he was still the baddest guy in the movie, they also toned down the marty sue aspcts they went overboard with in the sequel, and that helped me enjoy the character more.

For me, bigger isnt better for this franchise.

Old Post Jun 16th, 2017 05:09 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Originally posted by riv6672
For me, bigger isnt better for this franchise.

I think that's part of the fun of the franchise... they've sort of gone from smaller scale to larger scale and back again. It's been more due to necessity than actual intent, but they've still handled it very well.

I'm just confused right now because for quite some time the plan was to make Underverse to follow-up Riddick 3 and then make Furya (yes, with that spelling), and now they're saying the next film is an origin story called "Furia." So I don't know if they're literally doing a prequel next and then will go on to make Underverse and Furya... or maybe they're doing Furia first for some backstory and then Underverse will be the big finale? I don't know, but I really want to see the damn Underverse, so I hope they're not skipping it altogether. After all, that is the big cliffhanger that Riddick 3 ended with (if you've seen the Director's Cut): he's staring into the threshold to the Underverse. It's badass...

I wish there would be some news for this.. erm

Old Post Jun 17th, 2017 02:16 AM
riv6672

Yeah, some clarification'd be nice.
I like the Riddick-verse, i wish it had been handled...differently? I dunno.

Old Post Jun 17th, 2017 06:14 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

So apparently the next script is complete!

https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies...iddick-4-furya/

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2019 10:34 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

-Really liked the Pitch Black, was especially surprised to see the would-be antihero end up stabbing Fry to save himself. A nice end twist, that.

-Chronicles was decent, but really went beyond what the first film was.

-The Animation was decent, but as above with Chronicles.

-Riddick was just meh. Bit of Pitch Black and a bit of Chronicles, but meh in total.

At this point I wished they'd either recast and reboot or maybe go back in time and focus on Furyan lore. How they were before their world was destroyed, maybe do some very mild similarities with DBZ/Saiyans. The lore is mostly open, so there are many possibilities here for a good writer and director to capitalize on.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2019 10:44 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Originally posted by Robtard
-Really liked the Pitch Black, was especially surprised to see the would-be antihero end up stabbing Fry to save himself. A nice end twist, that.

Ha.. not taking that bait again! lol

Originally posted by Robtard
At this point I wished they'd either recast and reboot or maybe go back in time and focus on Furyan lore. How they were before their world was destroyed, maybe do some very mild similarities with DBZ/Saiyans. The lore is mostly open, so there are many possibilities here for a good writer and director to capitalize on.

Nope to rebooting, they are going to stick to the current path because this is Twohy and Vin's independent, cult-following franchise now. I'd like to see Twohy's vision completed for the next two films they have planned. And apparently the next film is going to delve a bit more into the lore. Vin has apparently mentioned that the next film will be a “little more expansive in its mythology.” So we should learn more about Furya. I think it's probably going to be at least partially a prequel.

And then perhaps they're saving the final film as a trip to the UnderVerse finally to wrap up the Necromonger story arc. Hell yes.

Old Post Jul 24th, 2019 02:31 PM
jaden_2.0
Awful

Riddick stabbed Fry.

Lest we forget.

Old Post Jul 24th, 2019 04:10 PM
jaden_2.0 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden_2.0 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden_2.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

Pitch Dark and the Last Riddic are the best of the lot...not that that is saying much.

Old Post Jul 24th, 2019 06:39 PM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote